Start by marking “The Foggy, Foggy Forest” as Want to Read:
The Foggy, Foggy Forest

The Foggy, Foggy Forest

3.96 of 5 stars 3.96  ·  rating details  ·  291 ratings  ·  92 reviews
Peek through each foggy vellum page to guess what lies beyond in an innovative novelty book that's a surefire page turner.

"What can this be in the foggy, foggy forest?" That's the question on every spread of this clever book, each depicting the black-and-white silhouette of a fairy-tale figure or scene. Readers may take a guess and turn the page to see if they’re right — t
Published November 11th 2008 by Candlewick Press (first published September 1st 2008)

To ask other readers questions about The Foggy, Foggy Forest, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Foggy, Foggy Forest

Lisa Vegan
Jun 09, 2012 Lisa Vegan rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: fans of twists on fairy tales, fans of interesting illustrations, readers who like guessing games
Recommended to Lisa by: Gundula
There isn’t much to this book but it is cute, and for kids it might be fun to guess/know what’s on the next page. For each double page there is a silhouette of something in the foggy foggy forest with the (a tad annoying for this adult) repeating questioning of what it could be and then the next pages show, via rhyme and full color picture what it is. There are some fairy tale characters and they’re in amusing positions such as “Cinderella and Snow White in a water-pistol fight.” There are only ...more
Feb 01, 2015 Gundula rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: children who like fun illustrations, children who like discussing fun illustrations
The illustrations, consisting of a black-and-white silhouette of a fairy tale scene (which is then revealed in full colour on the next page) are clever and fun. I especially like the pictures of the ogre doing yoga and Cinderella and Snow White spraying each other with water pistols. However, I find the constantly recurring question "what can this be in the foggy, foggy forest?" and the resulting answers to said question rather unimaginative and not all that complementary or even complimentary t ...more
The kids liked it when I read it to them.
Lately, I've been loving books that encourage the children to interact with it, rather than just a passive story. Of course, you can make any storytime experience interactive, asking questions like "What do you guys think is going to happen next?" but books that actually ask the questions are surefire wins (example: Look! Look! Look!, Spot the Plot: A Riddle Book of Book Riddles, etc). I did a fairy tale-themed storytime, and The Foggy, Foggy Forest was a great opener. I started out by talking a ...more
Shane Jeffrey
A fun book for library story times. Kids really liked it!
Fantastic, unique art style and great for interaction during storytime. Worked for my 3-5 year old storytime today and I think it would pass well at a school age storytime as well.
A very cool concept of the see-through pages and our favorite fairy tale characters hanging out in the foggy forest.
This sort of thing's been done before, but it's a cute enough book. Good old vellum. Always good for a larf.
I love reading this book with my 4 and 6 year olds! As a parent, this book is great for boosting imagination. It starts each page with "What can this be in the foggy, foggy forrest?" and the reader sees a shadow, and upon turning the page you see what the real image is. But they are not what you think! The silly spins on fairytale characters leave my kids cracking up every time (even though we have read this book a lot and they know what is coming)! The repetitive phrase definitely helps new rea ...more
Megan Dorcas
This book was unique because the pages were transparent, but not clear, so you could see outlines without knowing exactly what was on the next page. That would be fun for kids because they would be able to guess what is coming up next. I also liked that the book seamed creepy, like it would be good for around Halloween but nothing scary at all happens in the book. That would be awesome to read as a class because it would get the kids excited about the season, but it would not scare them at all.
Recommended to me by another Children's Librarian. I bought it from Amazon, though, because not in any of my local area libraries.
I loved the artistic, shadowy, construction, but not the flimsyness of the pages, several of which were ripped in my used copies. Liked the black/white and use of color contrast. I liked the originality of the verse and the inclusion of fairy tale characters.
Am looking forward to using this one in a storytime -- having kids guess what the shapes are. Waxy pages allow shadows to appear through -- a really neat effect. Most are fairy tale type creatures (elf, witch, ogre, Snow White) so could use with fairy tales in storytime. Another possibility would be to use with It Looked like Spilt Milk.

Originally published in England.

Candlewick, 2008
From: England

Unusual vellum pages allow children to "see" shadows in the forest and guess what they'll find on th
This book is brilliant! I've never seen anything like it. The paper is see through (rice paper, I think) so the reader can make a guess before turning the page. It's also a rhyming book!
Tina Reitz
Great Read-aloud book for Preschool, K and 1st. Kids can interact and infer what's going to come up on the pages ahead. Lovely vellum pages to make things look "foggy".
A unicorn playing a horn? An ogre doing yoga? Peek through each foggy vellum page to guess what lies beyond in the foggy, foggy forest.
Emmaus Public  Library
Brit speak rhyming tale. Lovely idea – being able to see the shadows of pictures yet to come through the foglike pages.
Nce, creative use of shadow on onionskin paper, and modern twists on the familiar fairy tale tropes.
Son loves this book, the illustrations are fun and he enjoyed remembering what each page was hiding.
One of my kids' big FAVORITES!

This is great for stimulating young and fresh imaginations.
Really cool how this is a shadow-puppet show in book form! Very fun!
Stephanie James
Me and my kids love the pictures. It's so fun!
Feb 16, 2013 Emily rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: toddlers
We checked this book out from the library one week ago, and have probably read it at least fifteen times with our youngest two. The pictures are made of vellum paper and are semi-transparent, so it makes for magical guessing as to what's waiting through the fog on the other side of the page.

It's also one of those books that an adult won't hide under the bed or in the closet after the third request to read it in a single day. It's clever and delightful enough to sit through for a second or third
Lauren White
Good for grades prek-1
3.5* art concept
1* story
This was the perfect book to use to introduce this week's story time theme -- "Fairy Tales". (It would also work well with a "Shadows" theme or a "Fair" theme.) On each page you see a shadow outline on vellum accompanied by the phrase "What can this be in the foggy, foggy forest?" Turn the page and see the subject in color and described in rhyme.
...a little elf all by himself...a unicorn playing a horn...Goldilocks with a candy box...etc.
It ends with them all finding a traveling fair.
I like how the transparent pages make the forest actually foggy, and kids love guessing the shapes they see in the silhouettes.
Fairy tale characters and fantastical creatures are hiding behind vellum pages in this unique novelty book. For those who like I Spy games, they will love this new take on the hide and seek format. Creatures such as a unicorn are hidden in silhouette on the right side, but when you turn the page, the creature that was hiding is show in full color. I am interested to see if Nick Sharratt finds another creative use for this technique.
Sarah Souther
There are shadowy shapes in the foggy, foggy forest. As the reader turns each translucent page, the shadows turn out to be brightly-colored forest animals and storybook creatures. This clever concept is coupled with silly rhymes such as an ogre doing yoga and a fairy queen on a trampoline. Younger kids will enjoy the rhymes and older kids will like guessing what the shapes will be once the page is turned. Gr. PreK-1.
I really enjoyed this. The illustrations are really cleverly done because all the silhouettes in the story appear on each page in different shades of grey. The are gradually revealed as the book progresses. When the silhouettes are revealed, the contrast between the greys and blacks of the remaining silhouettes and the colourful reveal is really striking.
  • I Spy on the Farm
  • Night Light
  • Cupcake
  • I'm a Shark
  • The Super Hungry Dinosaur
  • Clip-Clop
  • Jump!
  • Wolf Won't Bite!
  • Do You Know Which Ones Will Grow?
  • A Birthday for Cow!
  • Here Comes Jack Frost
  • A Dog Is a Dog
  • Eyes, Nose, Fingers, and Toes
  • One Big Pair of Underwear
Nick Sharratt is the author-illustrator of numerous books for children, including The Foggy, Foggy Forest and Dinosaurs’ Day Out. He lives in Brighton, England.
More about Nick Sharratt...