Start by marking “World Wide Rave: Creating Triggers That Get Millions of People to Spread Your Ideas and Share Your Stories” as Want to Read:

3.69 of 5 stars 3.69  ·  rating details  ·  229 ratings  ·  33 reviews
A World Wide Rave!"What the heck is that"?

A World Wide Rave is when people around the world are talking about you, your company, and your products. It's when communities eagerly link to your stuff on the Web. It's when online buzz drives buyers to your virtual doorstep. It's when tons of fans visit your Web site and your blog because they genuinely want to be there.

Rules o
Published March 1st 2009 by John Wiley & Sons (first published 2009)

To ask other readers questions about World Wide Rave, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about World Wide Rave

Sofia
What to take from this book: build an online presence so people can find you, engage with your audience, create interesting content, share it for free, and you too could create a World Wide Rave. If you want some inspiration, google "viral marketing success stories" or something of the sort, and check out some of the results.

There. Now you don't have to read this book.
Gary Dale Cearley
I have been an avid reader of David Meerman Scott’s blog for some time. I even have an Outlook task set so that I can remember to have my once a week look. As such, you won’t be that surprised that I would be a fan of his latest book, World Wide Rave: Creating Triggers that Get Millions of People to Spread Your Ideas and Share Your Stories. For all of us who look to promote ourselves on the web better, and that should be everyone who isn’t driving an ice cream truck – and some of these guys coul ...more
Jaime
This book is easily digestible and is great for someone looking for a social media pep talk. I do think, however, that he oversimplifies the issues and takes the 'anyone can and should be doing this' argument too far. I also disagree with his argument that musicians would have been better served by letting Napster and other free file sharing continue. Meerman Scott suggests that such publicity would up their public exposure and therefore let them sell more in collateral merchandise. While I thin ...more
Victor Barger
Mar 23, 2009 Victor Barger rated it 2 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Social media newbies
Recommended to Victor by: Amazon
Shelves: marketing
If you're at all familiar with social media and the marketing concept, it's unlikely you'll find anything new in World Wide Rave. However, if you're a businessperson who's just getting started, this book might be just the ticket; it's easy to understand and it's filled with interesting, real-life examples. In fact, it could easily have been published as part of the popular "For Dummies" series under the title "Social Media for Dummies".
Roseann Warren
Light on Strategy... simply presented a lot of stories.
Cheryl
This book is very uneven -- in its advice, its pacing, and its readability. At times I found myself bored with the repetition and oversimplification whereas some chapters had me saying "YES!!" with great enthusiasm.

I will likely refer back to parts of this book but most of it was heavy handed refresher course for me. If new media is still new to you, World Wide Rave may be of interest. It offers best practices because there is no guarantee for how to make digital content go viral -- on that asp
Vicki
An examination of what it takes for a marketing message to truly go viral, along with a number of fascinating case studies that illustrate these factors and demonstrate strategies that you can adapt for your own maarketing neecs. Great companion read for The New Rules of Marketing and PR, by the same author. It's a more general overview of marketing and PR in a web 2.0 world, while this is a more specific look at particular web 2.0 campaigns that have really teken off and used the new media to g ...more
Dana Lynn Smith
Scott does a great job of story telling in this book, relating a number of examples of how companies are using the viral power of the Internet to create a following for their products and services. Most of the examples are of big company strategy, which as an entrepreneur I found a little hard to relate to. But as I listened to the audio book I found my mind wandering from the narrator's voice to ideas for my own book marketing business, and I made several notes of project ideas, including conte ...more
Kevin
Anandi
If you have no clue about social media and how to build relationships to improve your brand/business, you need to read David Meerman Scott's book! Even as someone who is pretty well skilled in Web 2.0, I found the tips he had to be useful and definitely applicable to what I'm doing. I love that he uses real case studies to illustrate how these ideas actually worked for others.
Abdulaziz Alzain
World Wide Rave = how to spread the word more effectively to your audience. There's no more excuses that you don't have enough money to share your thoughts! It just needs the effort and social media sites to become a great storyteller worths to be talking about. My first advice is read the book and learn the basics of spreading the word.
Eli
Great full length book absolutely full of ideas to get your creative juices flowing. Lots of stories and encouragement. At this point, the book is a little old and you can tell by some of the references but that really doesn't detract from it at all. Very helpful and well worth picking up!
Aaron M
This is a good book for web centric small business types who need some guidance when it comes to marketing on the web. As a developer I definitely understood how to use these tools, but Rave provides a real game plan for doing it right.
Maria Mcdavis
Love the real life stories of tangible success in creating movements. David has broken down the concepts in a way that focuses the reader... This book is required reading for every business leader, ministry and non-profit!
Peter Liu
Recommending this book to all the old school marketing folks I encounter. Great read for anyone who wants to know where we're headed, and how much the groundswell effect has already become a part of our lives.
Rdj
Jun 16, 2009 Rdj rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Bloggers, Marketers
I wish I would have written it. He's fresh and modern, without sounding like a bad grad student. He's done it with his blog and it's very inspiring. I plan on sending him a copy of my book. :)
Angela Alcorn
Parts of this book are available to read in the free ebook "Lose Control of your Marketing", available here.
Martijn
A book full of examples how the web can work for you. I must say that Scott's live presentation on stage at SXSW in Austin was good, maybe better than the book :)
Jamie Pleasant
The book is an easy read. It is very strategic in nature and does a fairly good job of bringing you up to speed with inbound marketing principles etc.
Shelly
This was a good book. I listened to it of course...I took some notes as I listened and thought Daivd Meerman Scott had many great examples and points.
Lisa Wain
Out of all of the social media hype books I've read this is the best one...simple, to the point and some great story telling.
Erin
Great idea on how to spread ideas; I took notes as I went through this book and I'm excited to implement some of them.
Yukari
You don't need to have professional PR agency to make things happen now. This tiny book is filled with useful ideas.
Danielle
"Performing search engine optimization on a crap-filled site just makes it slightly less crappy."
Jeff Vankooten
Excellent insights on how to let the market sell your product by creating marketing "triggers"
"
Donna
I knew most of what was taught in the book, but I did appreciate some of the reminders.
Thefalconerswife
Really wonderful book for those interested in sales, marketing or the executive team!
Jamie Pleasant
excellent book. Well laid out and simple to understand. Great examples.
Kimberly Cain
I loved this book! Easy to read with big, inspiring ideas & attitude!
Chris Thrall
A must for social media marketing in the new age
  • Put Your Dream to the Test: 10 Questions That Will Help You See It and Seize It
  • Social Media 101: Tactics and Tips to Develop Your Business Online
  • The Babysitter's Code
  • Inbound Marketing: Get Found Using Google, Social Media, and Blogs
  • Twitter Power: How to Dominate Your Market One Tweet at a Time
  • Digital Minds: 12 Things Every Business Needs to Know About Digital Marketing
  • Twitter for Good: Change the World One Tweet at a Time
  • The Fortune Cookie Principle: The 20 Keys to a Great Brand Story and Why Your Business Needs One
  • Duct Tape Marketing: The World's Most Practical Small Business Marketing Guide
  • The Cook's Illustrated How-to-Cook Library: An illustrated step-by-step guide to Foolproof Cooking
  • Personality Not Included: Why Companies Lose Their Authenticity and How Great Brands Get It Back
  • Content Rules: How to Create Killer Blogs, Podcasts, Videos, eBooks, Webinars (and More) That Engage Customers and Ignite Your Business
  • Engage: The Complete Guide for Brands and Businesses to Build, Cultivate, and Measure Success in the New Web
  • The Think Big Manifesto: Think You Can't Change Your Life (and the World?) Think Again.
  • Marketing in the Age of Google: Your Online Strategy Is Your Business Strategy
  • Brains on Fire: Igniting Powerful, Sustainable, Word of Mouth Movements
  • Social Media Marketing: An Hour a Day
  • The $10 Trillion Prize: Captivating the Newly Affluent in China and India
Follow David on Twitter: @dmscott

David Meerman Scott's book The New Rules of Marketing & PR opened people's eyes to the new realities of marketing and public relations on the Web. Six months on the BusinessWeek bestseller list and published in 26 languages from Bulgarian to Vietnamese, New Rules is now a modern business classic. Scott's popular blog and hundreds of speaking engagements around
More about David Meerman Scott...
The New Rules of Marketing & PR: How to Use Social Media, Online Video, Mobile Applications, Blogs, News Releases, & Viral Marketing to Reach Buyers Directly The New Rules of Marketing & PR: How to Use Social Media, Online Video, Mobile Applications, Blogs, News Releases, and Viral Marketing to Reach Buyers Directly Real-Time Marketing & PR: How to Instantly Engage Your Market, Connect with Customers, and Create Products That Grow Your Business Now Marketing Lessons from the Grateful Dead: What Every Business Can Learn from the Most Iconic Band in History Newsjacking: How to Inject your Ideas into a Breaking News Story and Generate Tons of Media Coverage

“Nobody cares about your products (Except You)” 2 likes