Start by marking “Chris Ware (Monographics)” as Want to Read:
Chris Ware (Monographics)

Chris Ware (Monographics)

3.89 of 5 stars 3.89  ·  rating details  ·  228 ratings  ·  6 reviews
This title pairs the most talented postmodern comic artist alive (Chris Ware, author of the justly lauded Jimmy Corrigan: The Smartest Kid on Earth with perhaps the best writer on contemporary comics, Daniel Raeburn. So little decent writing exists on comics that Raeburn, editor of the fanzine The Imp,has to go back to the very birth of the form to get started, and his wri ...more
Published (first published 2004)

To ask other readers questions about Chris Ware, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Chris Ware

Powells.com
Similar in sentiment to artist Joseph Cornell's three-dimensional work, Chris Ware's drawings and sculpture remind me of enchanting collections of objects lost and found. In this new monograph, Daniel Raeburn closely examine's Ware's work methods and innovations and discusses the connections between Ware's most well-known character, Jimmy Corrigan, and that of his creator. Check out The Acme Novelty Datebook for more personal insight into his talent and history. Amy Antonio, Powells.com

Earline
Mar 10, 2008 Earline rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: artists, especially typographers
Shelves: comics, non-fiction
This book is a good introduction to Chris Ware's work and includes great stories about his career. I especially love his attitude towards grad school. Chris Ware is my hero and inspires me to be a better artist... as well as a badass.

"By the time Ware arrived in Chicago for his graduate studies at the School of the Art Institute, he was artistically and emotionally independent enough to ignore his teachers, most of whom discouraged him from doing comics, and a few whom openly mocked him, at leas
Jamie Felton
This is a pretty fascinating look at Chris Ware and, more importantly, comic books and how they are more than just words and pictures. One idea that I really liked was that the more comic books become a language of their own, the more people will be able to relate to and access them because people will become more fluent. This book has a ton of early work by Ware.
Joe
I probably don't have to make a case for how incredible Chris Ware is. Being able to see these comics for free in the Reader and New City for all of my teenage years through my return from college-- wot a countree, eh?

It probably makes sense to just buy the comics themselves, but some of the graphic design analysis in here is really insightful.
Panoramaisland
Magnificently underlines Ware's massive theoretical/conceptual shortcomings - not, I think, what the author intended. Even so, an even more essentialist reading of his work than I think is actually merited. Lushly illustrated with many comics and photographs!
Corbravo
The texts by this man are a bit R-tarded. But there's Ware's pictures on the other side of the page, so fortunately they're also unnoticeable.
Linus
Linus marked it as to-read
Dec 18, 2014
Benjamin Buckley
Benjamin Buckley marked it as to-read
Dec 02, 2014
Molly Dickerson
Molly Dickerson marked it as to-read
Nov 23, 2014
Diego
Diego marked it as to-read
Nov 01, 2014
Andrew Weiss
Andrew Weiss marked it as to-read
Oct 27, 2014
Bethany
Bethany marked it as to-read
Oct 27, 2014
Harold
Harold marked it as to-read
Oct 26, 2014
Zachary Harless
Zachary Harless marked it as to-read
Oct 24, 2014
John Muñoz
John Muñoz marked it as to-read
Oct 01, 2014
George
George marked it as to-read
Aug 20, 2014
Christopher Maxwell
Christopher Maxwell marked it as to-read
Aug 11, 2014
Nicole
Nicole marked it as to-read
Aug 07, 2014
  • The Acme Novelty Library #17
  • In the Studio: Visits with Contemporary Cartoonists
  • Peanuts: The Art of Charles M. Schulz
  • Alan Moore: Storyteller
  • Cartooning: Philosophy and Practice
  • Reading Comics
  • I Must Not Think Bad Thoughts: Drive-by Essays on American Dread, American Dreams
  • Chance in Hell
  • The Art of Daniel Clowes: Modern Cartoonist
  • Famous Drownings in Literary History: Essays on 21st-Century Jewishness
  • Backing Into Forward
  • Caricature
  • The R. Crumb Coffee Table Art Book
  • American Gangbang: A Love Story
  • George Sprott, 1894-1975
Historietas Perversas: Mexico's "Little Histories" (The Imp #4) The Holy Book of Chick (The Imp #2) The Fallen World of Daniel Clowes  (The Imp #1) The Smartest Cartoonist on Earth (The Imp #3)