Start by marking “Catch That Goat!” as Want to Read:
Catch That Goat!

Catch That Goat!

Learn more about Nigeria and the Yoruba language with this new extended edition! Now includes seven additional pages of maps and cultural information. Ayoka has been left in charge of the family goat, but within minutes it has vanished! As Ayoka searches the streets of town, she sees how much trouble a runaway goat can cause among the market stalls. One thing after another ...more
Published November 1st 2006 by Barefoot Books (first published July 1st 2002)

To ask other readers questions about Catch That Goat!, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Catch That Goat!

Sam Gallagher
Jun 08, 2016 Sam Gallagher rated it liked it
In the streets of Nigeria there is a missing goat... Ayoka was told to look after it by her mother, can she find it? She searches and searches but the goat is not anywhere. She finally finds the goat who has gotten into quite a lot of trouble on its outing. This book has some wonderfully done illustrations in bright, vivid watercolors and tons of detail. The book has all kinds of texture features in the paint that make each page very interesting. I thought this was a great book that looks at the ...more
Ang
Jan 19, 2016 Ang rated it really liked it
Shelves: storytime-books
Preschool Storytime: Africa/Counting/Animals/Market theme

This is a fun book for Preschool Storytime, especially if you want to do a multicultural storytime. The text is easy to read and the pages are beautifully decorated and are so colorful. You get to see the types of vendors that are at a market in a town in Africa. I really liked how in the book they actually used the names that are common to the area. The book is also interactive with the kids, which is great because you can really engage t
Katrina Cole
Mar 31, 2014 Katrina Cole rated it really liked it
I love the illustrations in this book by author/illustrator Polly Alakija. She really captures the look and feel of Nigerian culture and society. This is a fun book for preschool learners. It could be used for counting practice and introducing the concept of subtraction. Fun for a mischievous goat theme as well.
Naomi
Aug 04, 2015 Naomi rated it liked it
Another reverse counting book. This one is a bit more unique due to the Nigerian influence, but it still is what it is. The illustrations and Nigerian terms are what really made it vs. the text.
Skye Kilaen
May 21, 2016 Skye Kilaen rated it liked it
This one doesn’t have a complex story, but I was so entertained by what this goat got up to on its romp through the marketplace. And my son’s laugh at the end was a nice payoff! It’s a bright and cheerful book that also shows a glimpse of modern life in another country.
Karen
Sep 16, 2015 Karen rated it really liked it
This was a fun counting/math story that was set in the Nigerian culture. Really great illustrations, too.
Lois
Mar 23, 2009 Lois rated it really liked it
This colorful counting book tells the story of a young Nigerian girl entrusted to care for her family's goat. Each page of the book shows the goat creating havoc as Ayoka chases behind, asking a member of her village, "have you seen my goat?" only to be told again and again, No Ayoka, but I"m missing _____ whatever the number of items they are missing. At the end the entire village finds their missing items and Ayoka finds her goat, but not before her Mama! Delightful. Another Barefoot Books pub ...more
Antonia
Jun 12, 2013 Antonia rated it it was amazing
What beautiful colors this book has. I love the pictures and the realistic qualities of the drawings. It is also a great book to use for counting backward. My mom read this book to my niece and it is a great book to use when setting up a "what will happen next" moment for children or foretelling the story.
Robin Ramsey
Nov 23, 2009 Robin Ramsey rated it really liked it
Shelves: children-books
My son really likes this goat. He absolutely loves counting down, and he is interested in labeling the items that the goat takes. He picked this book up at the library, and now I am thinking that I may have to find it to purchase because he wants me to read it over, and over, and over.
Oluwolebankole
Aug 16, 2011 Oluwolebankole rated it it was amazing
excellent rendition of every day market life in nigeria and even more astonishing attention to detail in the illustration. a playfully honest and nice piece of work from an area with tons of folklore that is not in the limelight often enough.
Angelina Justice
Feb 23, 2012 Angelina Justice rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
This is a beautiful book full of color and texture that takes the reader and listeners on an adventure through a Nigerian marketplace. The silly goat makes the story a success with little ones.
Tracy
Jun 10, 2013 Tracy rated it really liked it
I thought this would be a boy who cried wolf story but it is not. It is a fun counting book, and a look after your own animal book.
Jul 25, 2009 Sarah rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
I really enjoyed this book. The colors are beautiful and the story is amusing. And it incorporates counting and culture. Hurrah!
Kari
Mar 15, 2009 Kari rated it really liked it
Worked well as a read aloud, although I had some difficult with some of the names.
Ecl  Storytellers
A very simple story of a lost goat eating everyone's stuff in the market.
Colleen
Apr 17, 2011 Sarah marked it as to-read
Shelves: srp-2011, jp-markets
week three
Reena
Reena marked it as to-read
Sep 26, 2016
Ellen Tuominen
Ellen Tuominen marked it as to-read
Jul 13, 2016
Stephanie Iglesias
Stephanie Iglesias rated it it was ok
Apr 20, 2016
Siobhan Roulston
Siobhan Roulston rated it really liked it
Mar 11, 2016
Stephen Morris
Stephen Morris marked it as to-read
Feb 20, 2016
Terra
Terra rated it really liked it
Feb 29, 2016
Sherri
Sherri added it
Jan 22, 2016
Misty Woolner
Misty Woolner marked it as to-read
Nov 17, 2015
Noelle Jackson
Noelle Jackson marked it as to-read
Oct 30, 2015