Catch That Goat!

Catch That Goat!

3.84 of 5 stars 3.84  ·  rating details  ·  25 ratings  ·  12 reviews
Learn more about Nigeria and the Yoruba language with this new extended edition! Now includes seven additional pages of maps and cultural information. Ayoka has been left in charge of the family goat, but within minutes it has vanished! As Ayoka searches the streets of town, she sees how much trouble a runaway goat can cause among the market stalls. One thing after another...more
Published November 1st 2006 by Barefoot Books (first published July 1st 2002)

Katrina Cole
I love the illustrations in this book by author/illustrator Polly Alakija. She really captures the look and feel of Nigerian culture and society. This is a fun book for preschool learners. It could be used for counting practice and introducing the concept of subtraction. Fun for a mischievous goat theme as well.
Lois
This colorful counting book tells the story of a young Nigerian girl entrusted to care for her family's goat. Each page of the book shows the goat creating havoc as Ayoka chases behind, asking a member of her village, "have you seen my goat?" only to be told again and again, No Ayoka, but I"m missing _____ whatever the number of items they are missing. At the end the entire village finds their missing items and Ayoka finds her goat, but not before her Mama! Delightful. Another Barefoot Books pub...more
Antonia
What beautiful colors this book has. I love the pictures and the realistic qualities of the drawings. It is also a great book to use for counting backward. My mom read this book to my niece and it is a great book to use when setting up a "what will happen next" moment for children or foretelling the story.
Robin Ramsey
My son really likes this goat. He absolutely loves counting down, and he is interested in labeling the items that the goat takes. He picked this book up at the library, and now I am thinking that I may have to find it to purchase because he wants me to read it over, and over, and over.
Oluwolebankole
excellent rendition of every day market life in nigeria and even more astonishing attention to detail in the illustration. a playfully honest and nice piece of work from an area with tons of folklore that is not in the limelight often enough.
Angelina Justice
This is a beautiful book full of color and texture that takes the reader and listeners on an adventure through a Nigerian marketplace. The silly goat makes the story a success with little ones.
Tracy
I thought this would be a boy who cried wolf story but it is not. It is a fun counting book, and a look after your own animal book.
I really enjoyed this book. The colors are beautiful and the story is amusing. And it incorporates counting and culture. Hurrah!
Kari
Worked well as a read aloud, although I had some difficult with some of the names.
Ecl  Storytellers
A very simple story of a lost goat eating everyone's stuff in the market.
Colleen
Apr 17, 2011 Sarah marked it as to-read
Shelves: srp-2011, jp-markets
week three
Elizabeth Bolden
Elizabeth Bolden marked it as to-read
Jul 24, 2014
Charlotte
Charlotte marked it as to-read
Jul 15, 2014
Caedmon
Caedmon marked it as to-read
Jun 30, 2014
Emily
Emily added it
Feb 17, 2014
Uber Dove
Uber Dove marked it as to-read
Sep 01, 2013
Toni
Toni added it
Jul 16, 2013
Gemma Murphy
Gemma Murphy is currently reading it
Mar 20, 2013
Counting Chickens Catch That Goat!: A Counting Tale from Nigeria Secret Striker Here Comes the Band! The Road to Market