Start by marking “And We Are Not Saved: The Elusive Quest For Racial Justice” as Want to Read:
And We Are Not Saved: The Elusive Quest For Racial Justice

And We Are Not Saved: The Elusive Quest For Racial Justice

4.18 of 5 stars 4.18  ·  rating details  ·  83 ratings  ·  8 reviews
A distinguished legal scholar and civil rights activist employs a series of dramatic fables and dialogues to probe the foundations of America’s racial attitudes and raise disturbing questions about the nature of our society.
Published March 31st 1989 by Basic Books (first published 1987)

To ask other readers questions about And We Are Not Saved, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about And We Are Not Saved

Randie
Derrick Bell uses elements of critical race theory and storytelling to discuss issues of race through the perspective of Geneva Crenshaw. Bell's writing is creative, insightful, and forces readers to re-evaluate issues of race.

I was fortunate enough to find my copy of the book to not only be autographed by Derrick Bell but he lefts notes and a news article inside for the person he gifted the book to. I feel like this helped me to pull out messages from the stories that Bell found meaningful
Frank
This gripping book's strange premise threatens to become hokey at times, but in the end it works. The book uses a series of parables to explore how race works in America and why the groundbreaking accomplishments of the Civil Rights Movement have not brought about the positive change for many African Americans that might have been expected. Bell is an incredibly erudite and nuanced thinker, and this book is quite illuminating.
Dave
Asks a lot of pointed questions about race and justice, and then provides what could reasonably be predicted as the sad reality.
Karen
RK Byers
i LOVED this book and i only understood half of it.
Leslie Hitchens
Great book!! Very thought provoking.
Anastasia
I hated this book.
Chris
Chris marked it as to-read
Nov 19, 2014
Dana And
Dana And marked it as to-read
Nov 16, 2014
Ashley
Ashley marked it as to-read
Nov 12, 2014
Jennifer Jackson
Jennifer Jackson marked it as to-read
Nov 03, 2014
Sierra
Sierra added it
Oct 23, 2014
Katie Klabusich
Katie Klabusich marked it as to-read
Oct 18, 2014
Zanetta Robinson
Zanetta Robinson marked it as to-read
Oct 12, 2014
Ben
Ben marked it as to-read
Sep 18, 2014
Leslie
Leslie marked it as to-read
Sep 05, 2014
Karen
Karen marked it as to-read
Sep 03, 2014
Dawn
Dawn added it
Aug 29, 2014
Emanuel Riley
Emanuel Riley marked it as to-read
Oct 07, 2014
Erika
Erika marked it as to-read
Jul 12, 2014
Nikki
Nikki marked it as to-read
May 30, 2014
RMJ
RMJ marked it as to-read
May 08, 2014
Craig
Craig marked it as to-read
May 07, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
Derrick A. Bell Jr. is a Professor of Law at New York University School of Law and a legal scholar and activist in critical race theory.
More about Derrick A. Bell...
Faces At The Bottom Of The Well: The Permanence Of Racism Silent Covenants: Brown V. Board of Education and the Unfulfilled Hopes for Racial Reform Ethical Ambition: Living a Life of Meaning and Worth Confronting Authority: Reflections of an Ardent Protester Gospel Choirs: Psalms Of Survival In An Alien Land Called Home