Start by marking “And We Are Not Saved: The Elusive Quest For Racial Justice” as Want to Read:
And We Are Not Saved: The Elusive Quest For Racial Justice

And We Are Not Saved: The Elusive Quest For Racial Justice

4.18 of 5 stars 4.18  ·  rating details  ·  85 ratings  ·  9 reviews
A distinguished legal scholar and civil rights activist employs a series of dramatic fables and dialogues to probe the foundations of America’s racial attitudes and raise disturbing questions about the nature of our society.
Published March 31st 1989 by Basic Books (first published 1987)

To ask other readers questions about And We Are Not Saved, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about And We Are Not Saved

Randie
Derrick Bell uses elements of critical race theory and storytelling to discuss issues of race through the perspective of Geneva Crenshaw. Bell's writing is creative, insightful, and forces readers to re-evaluate issues of race.

I was fortunate enough to find my copy of the book to not only be autographed by Derrick Bell but he lefts notes and a news article inside for the person he gifted the book to. I feel like this helped me to pull out messages from the stories that Bell found meaningful
Frank
This gripping book's strange premise threatens to become hokey at times, but in the end it works. The book uses a series of parables to explore how race works in America and why the groundbreaking accomplishments of the Civil Rights Movement have not brought about the positive change for many African Americans that might have been expected. Bell is an incredibly erudite and nuanced thinker, and this book is quite illuminating.
Dave
Asks a lot of pointed questions about race and justice, and then provides what could reasonably be predicted as the sad reality.
Karen
RK Byers
i LOVED this book and i only understood half of it.
Leslie Hitchens
Great book!! Very thought provoking.
Anastasia
I hated this book.
Brienna Parsons
Brienna Parsons marked it as to-read
Jan 25, 2015
Duncan
Duncan marked it as to-read
Jan 26, 2015
Darnell Kirnon
Darnell Kirnon marked it as to-read
Jan 19, 2015
Hibaimran
Hibaimran marked it as to-read
Jan 15, 2015
John Simon
John Simon is currently reading it
Jan 11, 2015
Mariah
Mariah marked it as to-read
Dec 26, 2014
Natalie
Natalie marked it as to-read
Dec 11, 2014
Min Kim
Min Kim marked it as to-read
Nov 25, 2014
Chris
Chris marked it as to-read
Nov 19, 2014
Dana And
Dana And marked it as to-read
Nov 16, 2014
Ashley
Ashley marked it as to-read
Nov 12, 2014
Jennifer Jackson
Jennifer Jackson marked it as to-read
Nov 03, 2014
Katie Klabusich
Katie Klabusich marked it as to-read
Oct 18, 2014
Zanetta Robinson
Zanetta Robinson marked it as to-read
Oct 12, 2014
Ben
Ben marked it as to-read
Sep 18, 2014
Leslie
Leslie marked it as to-read
Sep 05, 2014
Karen
Karen marked it as to-read
Sep 03, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
  • Keeping Faith: Philosophy and Race in America
  • Making Malcolm: The Myth And Meaning Of Malcolm X
  • Black Power: The Politics of Liberation
  • Martin and Malcolm and America: A Dream or a Nightmare?
  • The Crisis of the Negro Intellectual: A Historical Analysis of the Failure of Black Leadership
  • Between Barack and a Hard Place: Racism and White Denial in the Age of Obama
  • Management of Organizational Behavior: Utilizing Human Resources
  • Make No Law: The Sullivan Case and the First Amendment
  • Brainwashed: Challenging the Myth of Black Inferiority
  • Taking Rights Seriously
  • Black Pain: It Just Looks Like We're Not Hurting: Real Talk for When There's Nowhere to Go But Up
  • killing rage: Ending Racism
  • Cities and the Wealth of Nations
  • Black Bourgeoisie
Derrick A. Bell Jr. is a Professor of Law at New York University School of Law and a legal scholar and activist in critical race theory.
More about Derrick A. Bell...
Faces At The Bottom Of The Well: The Permanence Of Racism Silent Covenants: Brown V. Board of Education and the Unfulfilled Hopes for Racial Reform Ethical Ambition: Living a Life of Meaning and Worth Confronting Authority: Reflections of an Ardent Protester Gospel Choirs: Psalms Of Survival In An Alien Land Called Home