Start by marking “Stowaway to the Mushroom Planet (Mushroom Planet, #2)” as Want to Read:
Stowaway to the Mushroom Planet (Mushroom Planet, #2)

Stowaway to the Mushroom Planet (Mushroom Planet #2)

No other Earthlings know the Mushroom Planet like David and Chuck. They have seen the green ball shining in the vast black of outer space. And they have walked in its giant mushroom forests.

Now they are going back. The flight is top secret. But someone's found out, and stowed away on the space ship! How did he sneak on board? And how can Chuck and David save the Mushroom P
Published September 1st 2002 by Little, Brown Books for Young Readers (first published 1956)

To ask other readers questions about Stowaway to the Mushroom Planet, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Stowaway to the Mushroom Planet

Randy
Dec 16, 2012 Randy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
David Topman and Chuck Masterson thought they would never get to visit Basidium again. Their spaceship had been destroyed by the storm and tides when they'd returned to Earth and Tyco Bass was gone, simply floated away into the skies. As per his will, his home was the head of an astronomical Society. In Mr. Bass's notes, they found frequent mention of a Dr. Frobisher and decided to write him about the possibility of giving a lecture to their group.

At that same time, a man arrives at the bass hom
Martin
Jun 10, 2013 Martin rated it liked it
Shelves: science-fiction
Going through a bookshelf at my parent's house I came across a rather peculiar book, a science fiction book for children that was written in the 1950s. Now Stowaway to the Mushroom Planet by Eleanor Cameron is the second of an eight book series about Basidium a small planetoid about 50,000 miles out from earth and the Mushroom people that live there.The most striking thing about the book is not the talk about a tiny planet close to earth that is the perfect size for little boys, but the discussi ...more
Julie
This second book in the Mushroom Planet series was a fast, fun read. I do agree with the Goodreads reviewer who said the pacing is awfully slow - they don't even go to the planet until the second half of the book - but that makes sense given how little time they are actually able to stay there.

The character of Horatio is a pretty stock '50s sci-fi baddie, but that is also to be expected. It's the author's inventiveness in describing the Bass cousins, the mushroom planet, and its inhabitants that
Kathryn
Jul 01, 2011 Kathryn rated it really liked it
It's been a LONG while since I've read this, so I don't remember that much about it other than the fact that I liked it. I was also THRILLED at the idea that that there was a sequel to "The Wonderful Flight to the Muchroom Planet. I mean think of it, an actual continuation of the story, with the same characters, who then get to go BACK to the magical planet from the first book. (This was before I discovered that some books have whole SERIES based on them, so it was a much bigger deal at the time ...more
Andy
Sep 17, 2011 Andy rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: mushroom lovers
Recommended to Andy by: Tyco and Theodosious Bass
Shelves: kidstuff
Book 2 in the Mushroom Planet series and shows sophmore slump pains. The tale of the crass interloper in Utopia making plans to commercialize paradise are in full effect. The best part of the book is the ceremony in the Hall of The Ancient Ones, the rest of it's rather snoozy.
I have a feeling the next three volumes will be more interesting than this one, and for all you sports fans make a point to get the original volumes illustrated by Robert Henneberger, who compliments Eleanor Cameron's fant
Greg
Like its prequel, The Wonderful Flight to the Mushroom Planet, this book is characterized by gentle humor, imagination, and a fun little story. I enjoyed a great deal as a child. I don't know how much interest its simple story line and calm humor would have for today's children raised on more energetic fare (e.g., The Hunger Games, the Harry Potter series, or other such books), but its worth a try. It would be a shame if the Eleanor Cameron's Mushroom Planet books went unappreciated simply becau ...more
Alex
Sep 06, 2013 Alex rated it it was ok
Shelves: gave-up-on
This was a fine book, but it never really grabbed me and forced me to read it, and this caused me to allow the inter-library loan deadline to creep up and snatch it back. Almost halfway in and they hadn't made it to the mushroom planet was part of the pacing issue that slowed me down.

My verdict is that I can't be certain these lit my imagination when I was younger, and if they did it was the concept over the execution that fired that imagination.
Sharon
Jan 24, 2015 Sharon rated it it was amazing
Good sequel to the first story, The Wonderful Flight to the Mushroom Planet, this one has a dastardly, egotistical villain who you find yourself rooting against AND feeling sorry for. Good reading for the preteens who like adventure. Recommend to all who've read the first one and as for me I'm off to the third one!!!
Fred D
Feb 22, 2009 Fred D rated it really liked it
Shelves: childrens-books
Part of the Mushroom Planet Series, which got me interested in Sci-fi at a young age. See my review of the first book, "Wonderful Flight to the Mushroom Planet". Kept me interested enough to continue with the series.
Krista the Krazy Kataloguer
I read this when I was a kid and loved it! I read the whole series, in fact. They don't write science fiction like that any more!
Christina Tarbet
Jun 15, 2008 Christina Tarbet rated it liked it
Just part of the series. I just remember liking it as a child so I reread the whole series.
Elizabeth
Stowaway to the Mushroom Planet by Eleanor Cameron (1956), [1st ed.]
Charles
Jul 18, 2008 Charles rated it really liked it
Shelves: young-adult
Young adult or childrens story really. It's not as good as the "wonderful flight" but it is still a charming work.
Tommyb
May 01, 2009 Tommyb added it
Shelves: 1-13-2008, 22-48
Fiction,Children's fiction
Dixie
Aug 26, 2008 Dixie rated it it was amazing
When I finished the first book in this series, The Wonderful Flight to the Mushroom Planet, I immediately started (and read through to the end) this sequel. Wonderful! What a great series of books.
Laura Quilter
Stowaway to the Mushroom Planet by Eleanor Cameron (1956)
C Rain
Dec 06, 2010 C Rain rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed the story- especially the part about bringing the chicken along, who turned out to save the mushroom planet.
Thoraiya
Nov 26, 2011 Thoraiya rated it really liked it
Hah! I loved this book when I was in primary school. Must pick up a newish copy when the Small One comes of age. If only we really could just build rockets in our backyards :)
Becca
Mar 03, 2011 Becca rated it liked it
Shelves: owned-books
Great book for boys; not so much my thing. It would be fun for read-alouds, but I also want to hit it with a stick sometimes.
Michele
Sep 22, 2008 Michele rated it it was amazing
One of my favorite kid books ever.
Randy
Aug 04, 2008 Randy rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: children
Recently reread this one.
Marla
Sep 09, 2015 Marla rated it it was amazing
sequel to the prior book. Loved this one too!
Bonnie
Jun 15, 2009 Bonnie rated it really liked it
The kids and I read this book together. I loved this series as a kid and wanted my kids to experience it also. They've really enjoyed it.
Jennifer Heise
Oct 09, 2014 Jennifer Heise rated it liked it
Shelves: science-fiction
Amusing follow-up, though I hardly think the original needed one.
JayBee
Oct 01, 2008 JayBee rated it liked it
we had to get the sequel, we will let you know!!!
Kate
Kate rated it it was amazing
Dec 21, 2016
Julia
Julia rated it liked it
Sep 08, 2012
Bill
Bill rated it really liked it
Oct 31, 2008
Steve
Steve rated it really liked it
Sep 19, 2007
Max Renn
Max Renn rated it really liked it
Mar 04, 2010
  • Danny Dunn and the Homework Machine (Danny Dunn, #3)
  • Tunnel Through Time
  • The Forgotten Door
  • The Shy Stegosaurus of Cricket Creek (The Shy Stegosaurus #1)
  • The Enormous Egg
  • Saturday, the Twelfth of October
  • Magic or Not? (Tales of Magic, #5)
  • The Pink Motel
  • The Whisper of Glocken (The Minnipins, #2)
  • Miss Pickerell Goes to Mars
  • The Mystery of the Crimson Ghost
  • The Doom Machine
  • The Return of the Twelves
  • The Pool of Fire (The Tripods, #3)
  • Shadow Castle
  • The Wednesday Witch
Eleanor Frances Butler Cameron (1912 - 1996) was a Canadian children's author who spent most of her life in California. She is best known for her Mushroom Planet series and Julia Redfern series.

She also wrote several non-fiction books discussing the writing and enjoyment of children's books.

In 1972 she and Roald Dahl exchanged barbs across three issues of The Horn Book, a magazine devoted to criti
More about Eleanor Cameron...

Mushroom Planet (6 books)
  • The Wonderful Flight to the Mushroom Planet (Mushroom Planet, #1)
  • Mr. Bass's Planetoid (Mushroom Planet, #3)
  • A Mystery for Mr. Bass (Mushroom Planet, # 4)
  • Jewels From the Moon and The Meteor That Couldn't Stay (Mushroom Planet #5)
  • Time and Mr. Bass (Mushroom Planet, #6)