Start by marking “Frisco Pigeon Mambo” as Want to Read:
Frisco Pigeon Mambo

Frisco Pigeon Mambo

3.69 of 5 stars 3.69  ·  rating details  ·  396 ratings  ·  23 reviews
"Jonathan Livingston Seagull as imagined by the Marx brothers." That's one take on "Frisco Pigeon Mambo," an uproarious new comic novel by C.D. Payne. When a flock of alcohol- and tobacco-addicted lab pigeons are liberated in San Francisco, the whole city turns topsy-turvy. Our feathered heroes dance into bars, stick up liquor stores, spy on socialites, swipe a van full of...more
Published October 6th 2000 by Aivia Press (first published 1999)

To ask other readers questions about Frisco Pigeon Mambo, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Frisco Pigeon Mambo

Jason (RawBlurb)
This book caught me off guard. it was loaned to me by Jenn as one of her favorite books/authors. I tend not to read the backs of books or movies that i will be consuming immediately. reading the summary or teaser will give away too much information. i find myself remembering bits and pieces of the blurb and wondering when they are going to happen. It isnt as bad as when a DVD menu shows all the good parts in the background, but it is enough that it makes aspects of reading a bit uncomfortable, a...more
Max Ostrovsky
I read a couple of books by the same author, C.D. Payne, that were just fun. They were the kind of books you can relax and read while sipping an umbrella drink while lying in a hammock.

One was Frisco Pigeon Mambo. Just all around fun! It tells the story of a group of lab pigeons who, through a series of events, get out from the lab and into the real world. While in the lab, they were given cigarettes, liquor and other lovely vices, included being treated and talked to like they were human. So t...more
Craven
So, these lab pigeons, who have no clue they are anything but human, are given all the cigarettes and booze they want in a study. Then animal rights activists raid the laboratory and set them free ruining the sweet gig they had going for them. They're suddenly turned loose on the streets of San Francisco, still thinking their human and attempting to score booze and cigarettes and trying to find their way back to the paradise they were robbed of, the lab.

Sound stupid? It's not. It's allegorical a...more
Donna Maroulis
Rather simple reading , but a pleasure for its pure ridiculousness ! I quite enjoyed it.
Terragyrl3
Absolute delight. Hilarious story of escaped lab birds.
Margaret Webber
Sep 18, 2014 Margaret Webber rated it 2 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: people with a sense of humor
This is a funny story about pigeons.
A clever satire by the amazingly hilarious C.D. Payne. I loved the concept but I think the idea would have worked better as a short story. It's not at all a long book (only 185 pages) but the humor of the satire drags a bit in the middle section. Still, Payne is a master of word play. 'Frisco Pigeon Mambo' is not as engaging as the journals of Nick Twisp, but it is very clever and manages to provide comedic commentary on issues such as animal rights, politics, gender identity, disability, religi...more
Erin Fitzgerald
And I quote "One morning, pecking through a tray of moldy Mexican birdseed, I told a suicidal client to 'get a grip or get a gun.' That afternoon, I flew out the door during a family crisis melee.""

Yup. Get ready for fantastically dry humor that'll bring your perilously close to wetting your pants!!
Angela
May 07, 2009 Angela added it
this is a wacky book and possibly supports my idea that we should create city pigeon "teams" and fight them. i mean, few people that live in a city like pigeons and i think there are more than enough of them that we could loose some with no tears.
Maleah
Back when my kids were tiny, my strategy at the library was to take about thirty seconds to zip down an aisle and grab the first book that looked interesting. This was the result of one of those trips, it was bizarre and amusing.
Jenny
I wanted to like this book more. It had a great concept and I was optimistic after reading the beginning, but the bulk of the book was slow. Even at 185 pages, it feels like it needed to be a short story instead.
Alex
The description of the book made it sound a lot more fun and clever than it was. I enjoyed the book but it was underwhelming and didn't live up to the expectations I had for it.
M.
It had its moments, and started off strong, but I think the idea lost its novelty about halfway through. The ending seemed long in coming, but not disappointing. A solid 3 stars.
Gwen
One of the few books that I've read twice. I do not think you will like this book one bit if you don't live in San Francisco.
Jane Shaffer
A very funny light read *if* you like pigeons and books set in San Francisco.
Megan
About 25 pages too long. Odd, odd book, but I lost interest at the end.
Jamaica Wakefield
Stop being so serious and have some fun with some hard-living pigeons.
Pörshi
Love the story, what a great idea! Crazy...
got the german version
Carly Johnson
Funny and non-sensical. Perfect for the adolescent.
Andrew Gruen
Hilarious!Definitely worth a read. Quick too.
Melia
fast read, entertaining for SF locals
Michael
Entertaining. Not Payne's best work.
Lisa
  • Blood Makes the Grass Grow Green: A Year in the Desert with Team America
  • Mathematicians in Love
  • Samurai Executioner, Vol. 1: When the Demon Knife Weeps
  • GoGo Monster
  • The Rabbit Factory (Lomax & Biggs, #1)
  • The Gifted Gabaldón Sisters
  • His Robot Girlfriend
  • Battle Royale, Vol. 15 (Battle Royale, #15)
Author and showman C.D. Payne was born in Akron, Ohio in 1949 (making him a contemporary of Richard Gere and Meryl Streep). He spent his early years in West Virginia and southern Ohio, moving back to Akron while still a mere tot.

He went to public schools in Akron, and then graduated from Harvard College, where he majored in history and participated in the annual spring riot. In 1971 he moved to Ca...more
More about C.D. Payne...
Youth in Revolt: The Journals of Nick Twisp Revolting Youth: The Further Journals of Nick Twisp Young and Revolting: The Continental Journals of Nick Twisp Revoltingly Young: The Journals of Nick Twisp's Younger Brother Mládí v hajzlu II.: Mladík v okovech