Start by marking “Integrating Differentiated Instruction and Understanding by Design: Connecting Content and Kids” as Want to Read:

Discover how the integration of two of education's most powerful frameworks will help teachers impart essential knowledge and skills to the full spectrum of learners.
Published January 15th 2006 by Association for Supervision & Curriculum Development (first published January 1st 2005)

Be the first to ask a question about Integrating Differentiated Instruction and Understanding by Design

Veronica
Jan 28, 2013 Veronica rated it it was ok
Shelves: on-teaching
Although the ideas in this book are great, and the overall lesson/idea of the book is smart and important, the actual writing of the text failed to entice. The writing is to the point and mostly composed of lists. I suppose this could be a nice "intro" text to many disciplines, but if you have read many books on writing lessons and kinds of instructions, then this book is dry. In truth, the entire text seems to repeat itself every three chapters. It is already a short text, but it could have bee ...more
Ellen
Feb 07, 2017 Ellen rated it it was amazing
So many things in here I am finding to be accurate and applicable in the classroom.
Jamie
Feb 13, 2016 Jamie rated it it was ok
There is nothing revolutionary in this book. It is a basic outline of two common pieces of good instructional planning; planning backward (which the authors call Understanding by Design) and differentiated instruction.

And while these are great strategies for planning instruction, and the research behind them is solid, the direction in which these authors take them is, unfortunately for students, generally incompatible with the current state of public education. I hope that someday our schools w
M S
Sep 16, 2007 M S rated it liked it
A good book for teachers looking for research that proves that differentiated instruction actually does work. I was very much a skeptic regarding differentiated instruction until I used this book in a graduate class; like most teachers, I had attended at least a dozen workshops and in-service sessions on differentiated instruction. Each workshop and in-service seemed less like my students the longer I attended them. This book allowed me to choose the pieces that I thought we could do in my class ...more
Matt
Jun 24, 2015 Matt rated it it was amazing
An essential resource for preparing for instruction in your classroom or school. McTighe and Tomlinson meld these two frameworks with clarity and brevity. Differentiation is a challenging concept to embed in one's instruction. Using the UbD materials allows the educator to work smartly and plan for all learners in a classroom, must just the middle of the road. I would recommend purchasing the Understanding by Design Professional Handbook in addition to this text, as it references materials in th ...more
Cynthia
Nov 24, 2008 Cynthia rated it really liked it
This book clearly describes backwards planning in teaching, planning with the end in mind. It links that to differentiated instruction. If you are not familiar with these concepts in teaching, this is a must-read. If you have been working with this already then it is a nice review. I didn't find a lot of brand-new insights in the book, rather the book gives some practical ways for actually implementing these important concepts. Not an easy task. You'll get as much out of the book as you're willi ...more
Meg Winston
Jan 11, 2014 Meg Winston rated it really liked it
Shelves: teaching, nonfiction
I read this for a class on literacy in special education over the summer. I've read other books on differentiation by Tomlinson as well as Understanding by Design. This book was a quick read and very practical. I find that often when reading about differentiation, I walk away still trying to figure out how to implement it. This is clear in terms of implementation and includes tools you can photocopy.
Alex Templeton
Jun 05, 2012 Alex Templeton rated it liked it
This book gives a framework for how to create lessons that ensure quality, differentiated learning in the classroom, using two educational frameworks: differentiated instruction and understanding by design. It is dry as hell, and has a ton of information to sort through, but I'm not sorry I was assigned to read it.
Heather
Nov 25, 2015 Heather rated it it was amazing
An accesible text for educators that provides a good overview of the tenets of backwards design and differentiated instruction. Read it as a textbook for a differentiated instruction class and appreciated the included scenarios of the theories in practice.
Whitney
Apr 16, 2008 Whitney rated it it was amazing
These two are a natural fit! I was so excited to see Tomlinson and McTighe work together. This book will have a huge positive impact on student learning--if only people would take the time to read it.
Kristin
Sep 07, 2011 Kristin rated it did not like it
Well, I had to read this for my curriculum development class. It only gets one star because when I finished it, I didn't understand a single thing I had read. Otherwise, it was pretty good content-wise and was fairly easy to read.
Kristen
May 10, 2015 Kristen rated it liked it
Integrating Differentiated Instruction and Understanding by Design: Connecting Content and Kids by Carol Ann Tomlinson and Jay McTighe was read for EDU 221 Secondary/Middle Block: Curriculum, Instruction, Classroom Management, Instructional Media, and Practicum.
outdoortype
Apr 07, 2012 outdoortype rated it liked it
Recommends it for: teachers
Shelves: teaching
Written by the experts. Lots of information. Great ideas. Not easy reading. Quite repetitive. Recommend for those who are already familiar with Differentiated Instruction and/or Understanding by Design (Backwards Design).
Catherine
Aug 17, 2010 Catherine rated it really liked it
This book is a perfect addition to my collection of books on education. The integration of differentiation and UbD makes more sense after reading this book and I am glad that Tomlinson and McTighe included steps for teachers to use.
Maggie
Apr 03, 2012 Maggie rated it really liked it
Shelves: grad-school
A very readable guide to incorporating differentiated instruction and UbD into academically diverse classrooms. Includes illustrative charts and appropriate case studies. This text would be an essential addition to a professional development collection.
Michael
Jan 02, 2012 Michael rated it liked it
While the actual writing in the book was blah, the charts and figures summarize excellent teaching suggestions.
Jan
Jan 31, 2009 Jan rated it it was amazing
Links UbD and differentiated instruction in a no frills, easy-to-understand format. I'm using this book with my course. Excellent!
Kim
May 04, 2011 Kim rated it really liked it
Shelves: teacher-books
As a big UbD fan, I like how this book makes very concrete how EASY it is to integrate differentiation into UBD. It was a bit repetitive for the UbD insider, though.
Becca
Nov 20, 2009 Becca rated it liked it
It wasn't the best teacher book I've ever read, but there were some good ideas in there. The grading/assessment chapter was especially thought-provoking.
Marie Ayer
Jul 15, 2012 Marie Ayer rated it liked it
This book was okay for reviewing the design. If I was new to the process, I am not sure it would be my first resource.
Angela Schaffer
Oct 30, 2014 Angela Schaffer rated it liked it
This is a valuable resource. I believe in DI, and what I most like about it is that "it's a way of thinking -- not a program."
Gina
Oct 26, 2009 Gina rated it really liked it
organization through backwards design - really good planning information and ideas about differentiating instruction for different learners
Allison
Mar 12, 2008 Allison rated it really liked it
Part 2 of my thesis. This is a bit abstract and I think it best to read it after some classroom experience. It has a good overview of UbD and DI though.
Sara
Jul 05, 2011 Sara rated it it was amazing
Overlaps with the OSU M.Ed. program teachings considerably, but does a good job of taking UbD a step further and talking about how and where to adjust to a learner.
Davenportscouch
Davenportscouch rated it liked it
May 26, 2015
Ashley Adams
Ashley Adams rated it liked it
Jul 07, 2013
Blanca Hindle
Blanca Hindle rated it it was amazing
Jul 24, 2016
Erin Hill
Erin Hill rated it liked it
May 21, 2013
Amy
Amy rated it really liked it
Feb 20, 2009
Jill
Jill rated it really liked it
Aug 17, 2010
  • Understanding by Design
  • Classroom Instruction That Works: Research-Based Strategies for Increasing Student Achievement
  • Fair Isn't Always Equal: Assessing & Grading in the Differentiated Classroom
  • Enhancing Professional Practice: A Framework for Teaching
  • Learning by Doing: A Handbook for Professional Learning Communities at Work (Book & CD-ROM)
  • Results Now: How We Can Achieve Unprecedented Improvements in Teaching and Learning
  • Curriculum 21: Essential Education for a Changing World
  • Blogs, Wikis, Podcasts, and Other Powerful Web Tools for Classrooms
  • Instructional Coaching: A Partnership Approach to Improving Instruction
  • Adolescent Literacy: Turning Promise Into Practice
  • Multiple Intelligences in the Classroom
  • Catching Up or Leading the Way: American Education in the Age of Globalization