Start by marking “Integrating Differentiated Instruction and Understanding by Design: Connecting Content and Kids” as Want to Read:

3.75 of 5 stars 3.75  ·  rating details  ·  265 ratings  ·  28 reviews
Connecting content and kids in meaningful ways is what teachers strive to do every day. In tandem, UbD and DI help educators meet that goal by providing structures, tools, and guidance for developing curriculum and instruction that bring to students the best of what we know about effective teaching and learning.
Published April 12th 2013 by Heinle & Heinle Publishers (first published January 1st 2005)

Be the first to ask a question about Integrating Differentiated Instruction and Understanding by Design

Veronica
Although the ideas in this book are great, and the overall lesson/idea of the book is smart and important, the actual writing of the text failed to entice. The writing is to the point and mostly composed of lists. I suppose this could be a nice "intro" text to many disciplines, but if you have read many books on writing lessons and kinds of instructions, then this book is dry. In truth, the entire text seems to repeat itself every three chapters. It is already a short text, but it could have bee ...more
Matthew
An essential resource for preparing for instruction in your classroom or school. McTighe and Tomlinson meld these two frameworks with clarity and brevity. Differentiation is a challenging concept to embed in one's instruction. Using the UbD materials allows the educator to work smartly and plan for all learners in a classroom, must just the middle of the road. I would recommend purchasing the Understanding by Design Professional Handbook in addition to this text, as it references materials in th ...more
Kristen
Integrating Differentiated Instruction and Understanding by Design: Connecting Content and Kids by Carol Ann Tomlinson and Jay McTighe was read for EDU 221 Secondary/Middle Block: Curriculum, Instruction, Classroom Management, Instructional Media, and Practicum.
Meg Winston
I read this for a class on literacy in special education over the summer. I've read other books on differentiation by Tomlinson as well as Understanding by Design. This book was a quick read and very practical. I find that often when reading about differentiation, I walk away still trying to figure out how to implement it. This is clear in terms of implementation and includes tools you can photocopy.
Angela Schaffer
This is a valuable resource. I believe in DI, and what I most like about it is that "it's a way of thinking -- not a program."
M S
A good book for teachers looking for research that proves that differentiated instruction actually does work. I was very much a skeptic regarding differentiated instruction until I used this book in a graduate class; like most teachers, I had attended at least a dozen workshops and in-service sessions on differentiated instruction. Each workshop and in-service seemed less like my students the longer I attended them. This book allowed me to choose the pieces that I thought we could do in my class ...more
Elisabeth Sepulveda
Clear and practical guidelines for incorporating differentiated instruction in the classroom.
Cynthia
This book clearly describes backwards planning in teaching, planning with the end in mind. It links that to differentiated instruction. If you are not familiar with these concepts in teaching, this is a must-read. If you have been working with this already then it is a nice review. I didn't find a lot of brand-new insights in the book, rather the book gives some practical ways for actually implementing these important concepts. Not an easy task. You'll get as much out of the book as you're willi ...more
Alex Templeton
This book gives a framework for how to create lessons that ensure quality, differentiated learning in the classroom, using two educational frameworks: differentiated instruction and understanding by design. It is dry as hell, and has a ton of information to sort through, but I'm not sorry I was assigned to read it.
Maggie
A very readable guide to incorporating differentiated instruction and UbD into academically diverse classrooms. Includes illustrative charts and appropriate case studies. This text would be an essential addition to a professional development collection.
Catherine
This book is a perfect addition to my collection of books on education. The integration of differentiation and UbD makes more sense after reading this book and I am glad that Tomlinson and McTighe included steps for teachers to use.
Kristin
Well, I had to read this for my curriculum development class. It only gets one star because when I finished it, I didn't understand a single thing I had read. Otherwise, it was pretty good content-wise and was fairly easy to read.
outdoortype
Apr 07, 2012 outdoortype rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: teachers
Shelves: teaching
Written by the experts. Lots of information. Great ideas. Not easy reading. Quite repetitive. Recommend for those who are already familiar with Differentiated Instruction and/or Understanding by Design (Backwards Design).
Whitney
These two are a natural fit! I was so excited to see Tomlinson and McTighe work together. This book will have a huge positive impact on student learning--if only people would take the time to read it.
Kim
As a big UbD fan, I like how this book makes very concrete how EASY it is to integrate differentiation into UBD. It was a bit repetitive for the UbD insider, though.
Sara
Overlaps with the OSU M.Ed. program teachings considerably, but does a good job of taking UbD a step further and talking about how and where to adjust to a learner.
Allison
Part 2 of my thesis. This is a bit abstract and I think it best to read it after some classroom experience. It has a good overview of UbD and DI though.
Becca
It wasn't the best teacher book I've ever read, but there were some good ideas in there. The grading/assessment chapter was especially thought-provoking.
Gina
organization through backwards design - really good planning information and ideas about differentiating instruction for different learners
Jan
Links UbD and differentiated instruction in a no frills, easy-to-understand format. I'm using this book with my course. Excellent!
Marie Ayer
This book was okay for reviewing the design. If I was new to the process, I am not sure it would be my first resource.
Michael
While the actual writing in the book was blah, the charts and figures summarize excellent teaching suggestions.
Jaime
I can always appreciate a book that will enhance my instruction and push me to try new things.
Alison
This is a helpful resource for any teacher, but at times, it is too technical.
Jessica
Nov 07, 2013 Jessica rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommended to Jessica by: school-required
It had some good ideas.
Tina
Like a Cliff's notes for DI/UBD
Chris
very informative-good ideas-helped me to make sense of what Jeffco is trying to do
Umamah Anas
Umamah Anas marked it as to-read
Jul 23, 2015
  • Understanding by Design
  • Classroom Management That Works: Research-Based Strategies for Every Teacher
  • Curriculum 21: Essential Education for a Changing World
  • Results Now: How We Can Achieve Unprecedented Improvements in Teaching and Learning
  • Fair Isn't Always Equal: Assessing & Grading in the Differentiated Classroom
  • Understanding by Design Professional Development Workbook
  • Discipline with Dignity: New Challenges, New Solutions
  • Mini-Lessons for Literature Circles
  • Total Participation Techniques: Making Every Student an Active Learner
  • Blogs, Wikis, Podcasts, and Other Powerful Web Tools for Classrooms
  • Learning by Doing: A Handbook for Professional Learning Communities at Work (Book & CD-ROM)
  • Do I Really Have to Teach Reading?: Content Comprehension, Grades 6-12
  • Enhancing Professional Practice: A Framework for Teaching
  • Never Work Harder Than Your Students & Other Principles of Great Teaching
  • Instructional Coaching: A Partnership Approach to Improving Instruction
  • Guided Reading: Good First Teaching for All Children
  • Multiple Intelligences in the Classroom
  • Adolescent Literacy: Turning Promise Into Practice
Differentiated Classroom: Responding to the Need of All Learners How to Differentiate Instruction in Mixed-Ability Classrooms Leading and Managing a Differentiated Classroom Fulfilling the Promise of the Differentiated Classroom: Strategies and Tools for Responsive Teaching The Differentiated School: Making Revolutionary Changes in Teaching and Learning