Start by marking “Slay Ride (Christopher Miller Holiday Thriller, #1)” as Want to Read:
Slay Ride (Christopher Miller Holiday Thriller, #1)

Slay Ride (Christopher Miller Holiday Thrillers #1)

Will be shipped from US. Used books may not include companion materials, may have some shelf wear, may contain highlighting/notes, may not include CDs or access codes. 100% money back guarantee.
Published October 30th 2006 by Carroll & Graf (first published September 27th 2006)

To ask other readers questions about Slay Ride, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Slay Ride

Karen Syed
Mar 10, 2008 Karen Syed rated it really liked it
I specifically waited for the holidays to read this book, and I was not disappointed. What a great gift I received with this story. Chris Grabenstein has quite a talent for using words to paint a picture, shock your senses, and then make you wallow in the after-affects. With every horrible act, you feel for the victims and spend the next chapter trying to get out of the darn villains mind.

Excellent development, excellent pacing, and excellent writing. Just plain excellent! You might not want to
MaryBeth Donnelly
Nov 29, 2007 MaryBeth Donnelly rated it really liked it
This is the first book I read by this author, and will now seek out others by him! I particularly liked the references to NJ, and the plot moved along smoothly.
Tinav
Nov 18, 2011 Tinav rated it liked it
Just finished the audiobook of Slay Ride, by Chris Grabenstein. I must confess to not loving it as much as I adore his Jersey shore summer comedies.

Christopher Miller, FBI special agent, is 50 years old and riding a desk in the New Jersey office. A legend in the field and beloved by colleagues, he's disliked by rivals and especially an ambitious superior officer in the Bureau. But he's decided that, given his age and a promise to his wife and daughter not to take foolish risks anymore, it's okay
Kat Walter
Sep 15, 2016 Kat Walter rated it really liked it
Certainly a wild ride.
Patricia
Apr 16, 2008 Patricia rated it it was amazing
Slay Ride – 5 Paws
Chris Grabenstein
Avalon Publishers, 2006, 379 pps.
ISBN No: 13 978-0-78671-820-7
ISBN No: 10 0-7867-1820-X

Scott Wilkerson found out the hard way it is not good to complain about your limo driver. When Scott hired a car to take him to the airport his Russian driver drove like a maniac. Scott complained to the limo company and the driver was fired.

Little did Scott know that his complaint set in motion Nicolai Kyznetsoff’s plan for revenge that would leave Scott and his family total
Laura de Leon
I didn't love this as much as the Grabenstein's Ceepak books, but it still was a fun listen. It definitely isn't the usual holiday story!

The mystery/thriller aspect of the book was good-- there were several stories, including a crazy limo driver, stolen Russian diamonds, a star FBI agent sidelined by his petty boss. They all kept my interest and kept the story moving.

The characters were all entertaining, but there were a whole lot of them, which meant that I didn't get to know any of them well.
Ed
Jun 14, 2015 Ed rated it really liked it
#1 in the Christopher Miller series. This marked the debut of Jersey City, NJ FBI agent Christopher Miller and #2 Hell for the Holidays (2007) seems to be the end of it. Perhaps the series was too much of a departure from the highly regarded Jersey shore exploits of Detective John Ceepak and partner Danny Boyle for his fans to follow.

Christopher Miller, FBI agent, lives in Jersey City and after almost 30 years on the job is riding a desk. Scott Wilkinson's wife, Melissa, implores him to find her
Drew
Nov 30, 2015 Drew rated it really liked it
A non-stop thrill ride from start to finish “Slay Ride” gives you a front row seat to a heinous set of crimes committed by a very deranged person. If you’re looking for something along the lines of the Ceepak mysteries by the same author I think you’ll be in for a bit more of a shock. The author pulls no punches when it comes to the acts of violence perpetrated or the coarse language used throughout. He paints a vivid picture of a maniac and really draws the reader in. Get ready for some mayhem ...more
Patty
Aug 11, 2007 Patty rated it it was amazing
This isn't a part of the Ceepak mysteries, yet Grabenstein manages to pull his readers into this new world as effortlessly as he pulled them into the Jersey seashore. This book is darker with a little more "on screen" violence than any of the Ceepak stories but the strong storytelling and the excellent character development carry the reader through the darker passages and along to the end of the story.

Highly recommended
Mark Baker
Mar 19, 2014 Mark Baker rated it liked it
Shelves: mystery, 2006
A complaint about a bad shuttle driver leads to a kidnapping and possible murder. Meanwhile, FBI agent Christopher Miller is called back to the field for a robbery that is more than it appears. Yes, these two plots cross, and the suspense keeps the pages turning. However, I found the language and gore in the book to be too much for my tastes.

Read my full review at Carstairs Considers.
Deb Mj
Sep 24, 2011 Deb Mj rated it really liked it
Looking forward to more offerings in the Christopher Miller series. Read this at a time when we were losing a beloved pet and this was a great way to forget the pain, if only for a little while. Definitely holiday-themed, but you won't miss a beat reading it at any time of year
Jan
Dec 20, 2011 Jan rated it really liked it
A good "shock to the system" mystery thriller that excites and repulses at the same time. Not your normal run-of-the-mill Christmas story. I even learned a little Russian although most of it can't be repeated around young children!
Helen Southall
Dec 16, 2009 Helen Southall rated it liked it
Shelves: holiday
A dark read about an FBI agent and a psychotic former Russian KGB officer. Since it is set in the Christmas season, it is a major juxta-position of setting and plot - a bit of a jolt to the senses Not a bad read though.
Stitchywoman
Dec 02, 2011 Stitchywoman rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fiction
This book was on the caliber of James Patterson's Along Came a Spider. This was much more intense then Mr. Grabenstein's other books because it doesn't have the lighter inter play between the main characters but a very quick and engaging read.
Joanne Kilroy
Dec 25, 2014 Joanne Kilroy rated it it was amazing
I wish I had discovered Agent Christopher Miller a long time ago. This is a great story, fascinating characters and suspenseful plot. I loved it and am looking forward to reading the second book. Chris Grabenstein is a great storyteller.
Susan
May 28, 2015 Susan rated it did not like it
Shelves: read-in-2015
"Dreadful" would be a compliment to this dreck.

Please don't bother reading this, you'll be demanding your time and brain back.
Michelle
Dec 12, 2013 Michelle rated it it was amazing
This book was as good action wise as any James Patterson book. I loved that it was a Christmas book but also not a sweet and sappy one. Thanks for keeping the action going through the season!
Jody
Dec 29, 2013 Jody rated it really liked it
I read this book because I liked Grabenstein's John Ceepak series & I was not disappointed. Perfect easy holiday read:)
Coco
Mar 27, 2009 Coco rated it it was amazing
Makes me think twice anytime I call to complain about something! I love the Ceepak series and am always a bit leery about finding a new "friend," but Grabenstein didn't disappoint. A good ride!
Suzanne
Dec 12, 2008 Suzanne rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Emily, Emma, Krista
Shelves: mysteries
An awesome page-turner! I was home sick and polished this off in one day. Can't wait to read more of these!
Joy (Thoughts of Joy)
Dec 26, 2009 Joy (Thoughts of Joy) rated it really liked it
You can read my thoughts here.
Erika
Erika rated it really liked it
Dec 09, 2010
Karen
Karen rated it liked it
Oct 07, 2010
P.J. Nunn
P.J. Nunn rated it liked it
May 30, 2012
Chris
Mar 07, 2008 Chris rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
Tandaica
Tandaica rated it it was amazing
Jan 14, 2015
John Armstrong
John Armstrong rated it really liked it
Mar 10, 2011
Maggie Sokolik
Maggie Sokolik rated it liked it
Jan 26, 2011
Kriss
Kriss rated it really liked it
Jul 25, 2011
Diane
Diane rated it liked it
Sep 19, 2011
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
Should SLAY RIDE go to Kindle and Nook? 1 2 Jun 14, 2011 07:28AM
  • The Judgment
  • Line Of Vision
  • Voodoo Doll (Detective Jill Jackson, #2)
  • Maiden Rock (Claire Watkins, #6)
  • Torch (Rhona MacLeod #2)
  • Death Angel
  • The Devil's Pitchfork (Derek Stillwater, #1)
  • Bitch Creek (Stoney Calhoun #1)
  • Acts of Nature (Max Freeman, #5)
  • The Fourth Watcher (Poke Rafferty Mystery, #2)
  • Vengeance Road (Jack Gannon, #1)
  • Murder for Christmas
  • Le perfezioni provvisorie
  • The Lonely Mile
  • The Tunnels (Kelly Jones Mysteries, #1)
  • The Twilight Time
  • Sword Masters (The Sword Masters, #1)
  • The Silent Hour (Lincoln Perry, #4)
CHRIS GRABENSTEIN is the #1 New York Times bestselling author of ESCAPE FROM MR. LEMONCELLO’S LIBRARY, MR. LEMONCELLO’S LIBRARY OLYMPICS, THE ISLAND OF DR. LIBRIS, WELCOME TO WONDERLAND: HOME SWEET MOTEL and many other books, as well as the coauthor of numerous fun and funny page-turners with James Patterson, including I FUNNY, HOUSE OF ROBOTS, TREASURE HUNTERS, and JACKY HA-HA. Chris lives in New ...more
More about Chris Grabenstein...

Christopher Miller Holiday Thrillers (2 books)
  • Hell for the Holidays (Christopher Miller Holiday Thriller, #2)