Start by marking “Sad Movies” as Want to Read:
Sad Movies

Sad Movies

3.7 of 5 stars 3.70  ·  rating details  ·  92 ratings  ·  8 reviews
Published November 28th 1987 by Grove/Atlantic (first published November 1987)

To ask other readers questions about Sad Movies, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Sad Movies

Carri-ann
It is the book that inspired everything that I have become as a writer. It was honest and real in every detail. It is written in a style I aspire towards. Simple and easy to read but with an incredible message attached. The message is not forced. You slowly come to see how much it applies in just about everyone's life.

The story is about a copy writer with no job satisfaction beyond the friends he meets at work, a girlfriend who wants to leave him, and a head full of suicidal thoughts. A old frie
Stephan
Mar 28, 2012 Stephan added it
Recommends it for: Venice Beach writers
This slim book was required reading for my group of friends in the early nineties, and something of an obsession of mine for several years (I even wrote a screenplay, thinking I might one day try to option the book). Probably a little dated now, but still a great entry in that list of books describing the ennui of being in your mid-twenties in late-capitalism America.
Paulo Santos
The first book I ever bought.
Myles
With Sad Movies I'm finally read up on the literary brat pack, a silly label from a silly article, but it helped me find literature of a similar groove after I fell in love with Less Than Zero and Bright Lights, Big City in my last year of school.

Our disaffected young man is named Zeke. He's disappointed in life because, after spending some time partying abroad after college, he came to LA and wasn't a star screenwriter. Instead he's a hack copywriter at a B-film company. He abandons his screen
Logan
Many, many flaws, such as IDEALISM and MELO DRAMA, but it was a good, quick read, and the first I've read of Lindquist's, and his first book, so hopefully he got a little less sentimental with his other books I may read because he was at least fairly funny and did have a sort of B.E.E.-vibe going on except that his characters can't help but be sympathetic and empathetic and a lot less sociopathic.
Ricky
Decent book for this debut from Lindquist. I expected better after it was a recommendation from Easton Ellis. Kind of juvinle in perspective to him, but a decent quick read nonetheless.
Patrick
Another alternative young people in the city book, you could do worse.
Jess
Jess marked it as to-read
May 09, 2015
Alex Johnson
Alex Johnson marked it as to-read
May 08, 2015
Alysyn Reinhardt
Alysyn Reinhardt marked it as to-read
Apr 04, 2015
Dave Bryan
Dave Bryan marked it as to-read
Mar 22, 2015
Natalie Kovacs
Natalie Kovacs marked it as to-read
Mar 04, 2015
Bea7rixkiddo
Bea7rixkiddo marked it as to-read
Feb 20, 2015
Kevin
Kevin marked it as to-read
Feb 01, 2015
Martha
Martha marked it as to-read
Dec 30, 2014
Cosmokramer
Cosmokramer marked it as to-read
Dec 28, 2014
Kamilla Abdulkerimova
Kamilla Abdulkerimova marked it as to-read
Dec 23, 2014
Cristina
Cristina marked it as to-read
Dec 19, 2014
David Jackson
David Jackson marked it as to-read
Dec 18, 2014
Katey Bailin
Katey Bailin marked it as to-read
Dec 17, 2014
Charlotte
Charlotte marked it as to-read
Dec 16, 2014
Angelica
Angelica marked it as to-read
Dec 16, 2014
Katrina
Katrina marked it as to-read
Dec 15, 2014
Jane Ozera
Jane Ozera marked it as to-read
Dec 15, 2014
Amy
Amy marked it as to-read
Dec 14, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
  • A Cannibal in Manhattan
  • Story of My Life
  • Go to work and do your job. Care for your children. Pay your bills. Obey the law. Buy products.
  • Beyond the Valley of the Apocalypse Donkeys
  • Die You Doughnut Bastards
  • Lolita: The Screenplay
  • Repetition
  • Songs of Stars and Shadows
  • Lew Hunter's Screenwriting 434
  • Eclipse Penumbra (A Song Called Youth, #2)
  • Tribesmen
  • Hearers of the Constant Hum
  • The Baphomet
  • Ghost World: The Screenplay
  • The Chupacabra: A Borderline Crazy Tale of Coyotes, Cash & Cartels
  • Letters from LA
  • 10 a Boot Stomping 20 a Human Face 30 Goto 10
Almost 25 years after publication, Carnival Desires is available on Kindle.

Details magazine called it, “Great postmodern literature. Romantic and cynical, true and original, full of modern ideas and seductive moments … as of its time as such classics as Day of the Locust and The Last Tycoon.”

Vanity Fair called it, “A witty minimalist epic … with the smart, spare prose only an outsider on the Holl
More about Mark Lindquist...
Never Mind Nirvana: A Novel The King of Methlehem: A Novel Carnival Desires Sculpting Wood Never Mind Nirvana