Start by marking “Sparks: How Parents Can Help Ignite the Hidden Strengths of Teenagers” as Want to Read:
Sparks: How Parents Can Help Ignite the Hidden Strengths of Teenagers

Sparks: How Parents Can Help Ignite the Hidden Strengths of Teenagers

3.66  ·  Rating Details  ·  41 Ratings  ·  8 Reviews
In this practical book, Dr. Peter Benson, a leading authority on childhood and adolescence, describes a simple yet powerful plan for awakening the spark that lives inside each and every young person. Sparks--when illuminated and nurtured--give young people joy, energy, and direction. They have the power to change a young person's life from one of "surviving" to "thriving." ...more
Published September 1st 2008 by Jossey-Bass (first published August 20th 2008)

To ask other readers questions about Sparks, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Sparks

Apr 25, 2009 Jennifer rated it really liked it
Overview
It isn't easy being the parent of a teenager in today's society so parents need to use every tool they have to help their teenagers be happy, productive and positive members of their community. The approach described in the book focuses on helping parents to identify, nourish and encourage their teenager's "sparks." According to the author, a spark:

* gives energy and joy
* provides the feeling of being alive, useful and purposeful
* is absorbing to the point that you "lose yourself in t
Sarah Sammis
Sparks: How Parents Can Ignite the Hidden Strengths of Teenagers by Peter L. Benson offers ways for parents to encourage their teens to follow the things in life that make them spark. When I hear the word spark, I can't help but think of Agatha Heterodyne, main character of Girl Genius. Sparks, though isn't about mad science or steampunk. Instead it's a straightforward parenting book to help parents connect with their children.

The book began with the thesis that modern teens were so driven by th
Noreen
Apr 02, 2015 Noreen rated it it was ok
Didn't love this book. I understand the importance of following the spark, but i feel this content could have been said in a few chapters. I was hoping for more creative approaches. But because the content was relevant I didn't totally dismiss this book.
Nancy
Jul 15, 2011 Nancy rated it it was ok
This book was recommended at freshman orientation two years ago. I nally got around to reading it. While the premise is true: that teens with "sparks" are better, don't do "risky" behaviors and become productive adults, the approach outlines seemed a bit simplistic. The part I enjoyed most was the individual "success stories."

The five step process is:
1. Recognize the power of sparks.
2. Know your own teenager.
3. Help discover and reveal your teen's sparks.
4. Be the captain of your teen's spark te
Nancy
Sep 22, 2009 Nancy rated it really liked it
Some kids seem to have the ability to reach out and discover the things that excite and intrigue them. This book helps parents understand the importance of these "sparks" - talents or skills or competencies that help people express and fulfill themselves. It gives insight into how to nurture this spark in the kids we come in contact with.
Karen Graves
Oct 15, 2013 Karen Graves rated it really liked it
Wonderful how to book. Very practical. Full of wonderful stories. Easy to understand data. (Wish educational journal articles were this easy to understand!) A little repetitive at times and some "no brainers," but overall positive. Stimulated lots if conversations with my teenagers in the car and at the dinner table!
Bonnie
Nov 05, 2013 Bonnie rated it liked it
Yes, great advice on how to support your child's spark. Mostly common sense and good parenting, though, and not as much on how to identify your child's spark (which is where I am). Dovetails with the findings outlined in Steven Wagner's "Creating Innovators."
Heather
Dec 09, 2008 Heather rated it really liked it
I used this book for one of my magazine articles and thought the concepts were great and were even applicable for adults. Great book!
Kristy
Kristy marked it as to-read
Feb 06, 2016
Rainmaker004
Rainmaker004 marked it as to-read
Jan 19, 2016
Trina Bloemendaal
Trina Bloemendaal rated it really liked it
Jan 18, 2016
Ed
Ed is currently reading it
Jan 03, 2016
Beiza
Beiza added it
Dec 20, 2015
Heather Nunez-Olmstead
Heather Nunez-Olmstead marked it as to-read
Nov 10, 2015
Marika
Marika marked it as to-read
Oct 12, 2015
Nadine
Nadine marked it as to-read
Sep 21, 2015
Megan
Megan rated it really liked it
Sep 05, 2015
Missy Barlow
Missy Barlow marked it as to-read
Jul 08, 2015
Patrick Hanlon
Patrick Hanlon marked it as to-read
Jun 18, 2015
Sue
Sue rated it really liked it
Jun 14, 2015
Jose Serrano
Jose Serrano marked it as to-read
Mar 31, 2015
Jay
Jay rated it really liked it
Mar 20, 2015
Life Outside
Life Outside rated it really liked it
Mar 13, 2015
Zahir
Zahir marked it as to-read
Sep 02, 2015
Steve
Steve marked it as to-read
Jan 29, 2015
Tyson Heaton
Tyson Heaton rated it liked it
Jan 29, 2015
Kris Gatzemeyer
Kris Gatzemeyer marked it as to-read
Jan 11, 2015