Start by marking “Just in Case” as Want to Read:
Just in Case

Just in Case

Charlie is a boy who is always ready for anything...Just in Case. What if it's raining very hard - so hard that rain could come into the house and make the furniture float? Charlie has a plan to keep himself dry...Just in Case.
What if his parents are going out and he gets a babysitter who won't read to him or let him watch TV? Charlie has a plan for making his own fun...Ju
Published January 1st 2006 by Atheneum Books for Young Readers

To ask other readers questions about Just in Case, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Just in Case

Runa
Mar 08, 2014 Runa rated it it was amazing
I saw this one at work and picked it up and it just made me so so happy to see a book that seems PERFECT for children with anxiety and worries! It tells them that it's okay to be the way they are, and that sometimes, anxiety can be kind of useful, and you can even have fun with it, in a way? I don't know, but any book that tells a child they are not alone and not weird for being worried is a good one in my eyes.
Michelle McBeth
Feb 05, 2015 Michelle McBeth rated it it was ok
Charlie is a worrier. He constantly prepares just in case the worst happens. When it is raining he is worried it will flood so while he is inside, he gets his rain gear and an inflatable boat. When he gets a bossy babysitter, he behaves badly to send her away. He worries food will not be available, so he makes 117 peanut butter sandwiches. This worrying behavior goes on for several more parts of the story.

The illustrations are mixed media and have a bit of a vintage feel to them. They are colorf
Angela Hutchinson
Charlie is a little boy that likes to be ready for anything that may come his way. This book poses some creative thinking on Charlies part because of all of the ideas that run through his mind. The ending was great! Charlie learned that although it is great to be prepared for things that happen it life, sometimes it doesn't happen. Charlie still wants to do his best to be ready for any circumstances that comes his way. Students need to know that sometimes things happen and life does not always t ...more
Romelle
May 18, 2014 Romelle rated it liked it
An interesting read with long poetic sentences loaded with the conjunction- "and." The repetitive verse, "...Charlie tries to be ready. And Charlie likes to be ready, just in case" makes a nice read aloud. The story of Charlie, who goes through an adventurous day of preparedness for the unexpected, is fun and whacky. But it has a tendency to be long-winded (like my review).
Andrew
Mar 25, 2014 Andrew rated it it was ok
I'm a big fan of Alexander and the terrible, horrible, very bad, no good day, and I also like Alexander who used to be rich last Sunday. This one didn't really do it for me as a children's book. I like it alright as a concept, and I feel like Judith Viorst has some great moments, but it goes on too long and I'm not sure what age cohort this would really appeal to. Seems like the editor had the week off before this went out for publication.
Molly Toomey
Feb 16, 2015 Molly Toomey rated it liked it
Charlie is ready for anything, for just in case. He worries about things such as rain, getting a bad babysitter, etc. He always has a back up plan for when he needs it. This book would be good for students who have worries about certain things, showing them that it's completely natural to have them and what they can do to prepare. It also shows them that it's good to not always be prepared as well, as Charlie finds out within the book.
Talisa Timms
This book is about a boy who is always ready for whatever comes his way. I'm not sure I would incorporate this book in my classroom, but it is cute to see a child care about the little things so much. In my opinion, the boy is very pessimistic. I want my students to have a more optimistic outlook on any situation in their life.
Leyla
Apr 28, 2014 Leyla rated it it was amazing
I loved the repetitiveness. Although I read it with a lot of emphasis on the repeated words in the hopes my 5-year-old would get it and repeat along with me she wouldn't do it, instead she would giggle every time she heard the "just in case" because she knew those are words Mommy says all the time! :) My lovely Jen <3
Courtney
Mar 14, 2015 Courtney rated it it was amazing
This book is great for showing children that it's okay to not always know what is going to happen. Charlie is always ready for "just in case" scenarios, but he soon finds out that sometimes surprises aren't that bad. This would be a good teaching book for children who always think about the 'what-if's'.
Ariel Cummins
Mar 17, 2013 Ariel Cummins rated it it was ok
Shelves: picture-books
Charlie knows that all kinds of things can happen. It could rain so hard the furniture starts to float, or a lion could get lose, or all the stores could stop selling food for a really long time (I think Charlie's been reading too much YA lit recently!). So he makes sure to always be prepared! Until it's his birthday, and he's prepared...for nothing!

The mixed media illustrations are bright and full of texture, and pop off the white backgrounds.

This one just didn't really do it for me. It seemed
Bree
Feb 27, 2014 Bree rated it did not like it
Notes:
neurotic main character
too fear-based
Eva Leger
Jan 26, 2011 Eva Leger rated it liked it
Shelves: julias-books
This was a cute story, I couldn't call it anything special. Actually I'm thankful I still have it sitting here or else I probably wouldn't have been able to write anything because I couldn't remember reading it with Julia. But she does apparently because when I asked her she said we'd read it. When I finally flipped through I started to remember a little.
Maybe it's because of the amount of books we've run through this week, I don't know. Either way though, it's definitely not on any favorite li
The Brothers
Feb 05, 2016 The Brothers rated it really liked it
A little boy prepares himself for all sorts of outlandish scenarios - JUST IN CASE!

Fun illustrations.
Dolly
Nov 20, 2008 Dolly rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
Shelves: childrens, 2008
A unique story about a unique little boy who wants to be ready, likes to be ready... just in case. He brings all kinds of things with him wherever he goes in case some odd occurrence happens, but is unprepared for a surprise birthday party. We've borrowed this one a couple of times from the library. Our girls like to echo the part "Just in case" throughout the book.
Amy
Aug 14, 2008 Amy rated it it was amazing
Mom told me about this book today. Man, I love picture books. Magic on paper.

Viorst had an impact on me when I was little as well: Whenever my babysitter would pick me up from elementary school and ask me how my day was I would say, "Terrible Horrible No Good Very Bad." I wasn't that into school.
Jen
Jan 30, 2008 Jen rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: pre-schoolers and their parents, those that are always prepared
Shelves: best-for-kids
Wonderful book for the pre-school set. The illustrations are great, but even more compelling are the possibilities of what could happen in a child's "everyday" life. For the kid who likes to go to the supermarket with his cape on (like my son), this book will help them justify their whims.
Janna Peterson
Sep 19, 2011 Janna Peterson rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
This was a very beautifully illustrated book and the repeated text would be great for younger grades to follow and participate in!
Mar 22, 2009 Sarah marked it as to-read
Recommends it for: Toni
Mom, read the description of this one! The title character is a Charlie. And it's a Judith Viorst, sounds like a must-read to me!
Catherine
Dec 12, 2011 Catherine rated it liked it
Shelves: children
Tate read this one to me. He learned about preparing for the worst case scenario and thought it was very funny!
Jul 24, 2007 Jennifer rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-to-the-kids
This is a book about a little boy named Charlie that has a lot of anxiety in his life. It's too cute!
Melinda
Aug 26, 2008 Melinda rated it did not like it
Shelves: children-s-books
I was a little bothered by the extreme paranoia exhibited by this book's protagonist.
Murph Eugene

Mary
Dec 19, 2010 Mary rated it it was amazing
great illustrations!
Patty Demyda
Patty Demyda rated it liked it
Aug 14, 2016
Summer
Summer added it
Jul 19, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
Judith Viorst is the author of several works of fiction and non-fiction for children as well as adults. Alexander and the Terrible, Horrible, No Good, Very Bad Day, her most famous children's book, was first published in 1972 and has since sold over two million copies. Ms. Viorst received a B.A. in History from Rutgers University, and she is also a graduate of the Washington Psychoanalytic Institu ...more
More about Judith Viorst...