Start by marking “Just in Case” as Want to Read:
Just in Case

Just in Case

3.39 of 5 stars 3.39  ·  rating details  ·  69 ratings  ·  19 reviews
Charlie is a boy who is always ready for anything...Just in Case. What if it's raining very hard - so hard that rain could come into the house and make the furniture float? Charlie has a plan to keep himself dry...Just in Case.
What if his parents are going out and he gets a babysitter who won't read to him or let him watch TV? Charlie has a plan for making his own fun...Ju
Published January 1st 2006 by Atheneum Books for Young Readers

To ask other readers questions about Just in Case, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Just in Case

Runa
I saw this one at work and picked it up and it just made me so so happy to see a book that seems PERFECT for children with anxiety and worries! It tells them that it's okay to be the way they are, and that sometimes, anxiety can be kind of useful, and you can even have fun with it, in a way? I don't know, but any book that tells a child they are not alone and not weird for being worried is a good one in my eyes.
Romelle
An interesting read with long poetic sentences loaded with the conjunction- "and." The repetitive verse, "...Charlie tries to be ready. And Charlie likes to be ready, just in case" makes a nice read aloud. The story of Charlie, who goes through an adventurous day of preparedness for the unexpected, is fun and whacky. But it has a tendency to be long-winded (like my review).
Andrew
I'm a big fan of Alexander and the terrible, horrible, very bad, no good day, and I also like Alexander who used to be rich last Sunday. This one didn't really do it for me as a children's book. I like it alright as a concept, and I feel like Judith Viorst has some great moments, but it goes on too long and I'm not sure what age cohort this would really appeal to. Seems like the editor had the week off before this went out for publication.
Talisa Timms
This book is about a boy who is always ready for whatever comes his way. I'm not sure I would incorporate this book in my classroom, but it is cute to see a child care about the little things so much. In my opinion, the boy is very pessimistic. I want my students to have a more optimistic outlook on any situation in their life.
Leyla
I loved the repetitiveness. Although I read it with a lot of emphasis on the repeated words in the hopes my 5-year-old would get it and repeat along with me she wouldn't do it, instead she would giggle every time she heard the "just in case" because she knew those are words Mommy says all the time! :) My lovely Jen <3
Ariel Cummins
Charlie knows that all kinds of things can happen. It could rain so hard the furniture starts to float, or a lion could get lose, or all the stores could stop selling food for a really long time (I think Charlie's been reading too much YA lit recently!). So he makes sure to always be prepared! Until it's his birthday, and he's prepared...for nothing!

The mixed media illustrations are bright and full of texture, and pop off the white backgrounds.

This one just didn't really do it for me. It seemed
Bree
Notes:
neurotic main character
too fear-based
Eva Leger
This was a cute story, I couldn't call it anything special. Actually I'm thankful I still have it sitting here or else I probably wouldn't have been able to write anything because I couldn't remember reading it with Julia. But she does apparently because when I asked her she said we'd read it. When I finally flipped through I started to remember a little.
Maybe it's because of the amount of books we've run through this week, I don't know. Either way though, it's definitely not on any favorite li
Dolly
Nov 20, 2008 Dolly rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
Shelves: 2008, childrens
A unique story about a unique little boy who wants to be ready, likes to be ready... just in case. He brings all kinds of things with him wherever he goes in case some odd occurrence happens, but is unprepared for a surprise birthday party. We've borrowed this one a couple of times from the library. Our girls like to echo the part "Just in case" throughout the book.
Amy
Mom told me about this book today. Man, I love picture books. Magic on paper.

Viorst had an impact on me when I was little as well: Whenever my babysitter would pick me up from elementary school and ask me how my day was I would say, "Terrible Horrible No Good Very Bad." I wasn't that into school.
Jen
Jan 30, 2008 Jen rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: pre-schoolers and their parents, those that are always prepared
Shelves: best-for-kids
Wonderful book for the pre-school set. The illustrations are great, but even more compelling are the possibilities of what could happen in a child's "everyday" life. For the kid who likes to go to the supermarket with his cape on (like my son), this book will help them justify their whims.
Janna Peterson
This was a very beautifully illustrated book and the repeated text would be great for younger grades to follow and participate in!
Mar 22, 2009 Sarah marked it as to-read
Recommends it for: Toni
Mom, read the description of this one! The title character is a Charlie. And it's a Judith Viorst, sounds like a must-read to me!
Catherine
Tate read this one to me. He learned about preparing for the worst case scenario and thought it was very funny!
This is a book about a little boy named Charlie that has a lot of anxiety in his life. It's too cute!
Melinda
I was a little bothered by the extreme paranoia exhibited by this book's protagonist.
Daryl Murphy
PB42 – Perfect story for the kids that always ask a lot of what-if questions
Colby Sharp
First read 10/23/12

Reread 4/2/2012
Mary
great illustrations!
Sylvia Katz
Sylvia Katz marked it as to-read
Oct 14, 2014
Tod
Tod added it
Oct 10, 2014
Anne Broussard
Anne Broussard marked it as to-read
Jun 13, 2014
Gabby
Gabby added it
Jun 06, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Judith Viorst is the author of several works of fiction and non-fiction for children as well as adults. Alexander and the Terrible, Horrible, No Good, Very Bad Day, her most famous children's book, was first published in 1972 and has since sold over two million copies. Ms. Viorst received a B.A. in History from Rutgers University, and she is also a graduate of the Washington Psychoanalytic Institu ...more
More about Judith Viorst...
Alexander and the Terrible, Horrible, No Good, Very Bad Day Alexander, Who Used to Be Rich Last Sunday Necessary Losses: The Loves Illusions Dependencies and Impossible Expectations That All of us Have Lulu and the Brontosaurus Alexander, Who's Not (Do You Hear Me? I Mean It!) Going to Move