Start by marking “Hunter Seat Equitation” as Want to Read:
Hunter Seat Equitation

Hunter Seat Equitation

A classic by a world-renowned teacher and master equestrian--the definitive work on the art of teaching and riding the hunter seat, now updated to include refinements in Morris's insightful program of riding instruction.

B & W photographs throughout
Published June 1st 1990 by Doubleday

To ask other readers questions about Hunter Seat Equitation, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Hunter Seat Equitation

Kate
Sep 07, 2015 Kate rated it it was ok
Shelves: horses
This is best for an intermediate rider, a junior rider new to hunt seat showing, or someone new to teaching. There isn't anything new here for a more experienced rider, and his writing is too abstract, clunky, and jargon-heavy to serve as a good introduction for a beginner.

Of particular note to me as an applied animal behavior student: The chapter on "Working Principles in General" is really terrible. "Smart Horse: Understanding the Science of Natural Horsemanship" by Jennifer MacCleay provides
Everllarkpony
Jun 02, 2013 Everllarkpony rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
Let's be honest here. This is, quite frankly, the Bible of everyone in the H/J world, and many eventers, too. When it comes to horses, there is no one more clear, witty, or well- educated as George Morris. If you haven't already; Read.
This. Book. NOW.
Meredith R.
Jun 03, 2013 Meredith R. rated it it was amazing
Author: George Morris
Genre: nonfiction
Pages: 198
Date: 5/29/13

This book is how to ride and show in hunt seat properly. It tells about diagonal, leads, how you should look, and different types of jumps. Also about patterns, bending lines, simple lead changes, and flying lead changes. It tells you how you should feel and look and what you should think about while riding, and how to get smooth transitions between gaits.
I find this book helpful and gave it five stars for a few reasons. My coach
Flora Wallace-Smith
Mar 02, 2016 Flora Wallace-Smith rated it it was amazing
This is a must read for anyone involved with horses, particularly English riding. Even though it is geared towards preparing a rider for the show ring, it covers all the basics anyone who wants to ride should know. It is the ultimate textbook on form, practice habits, and horsemanship. Some of the writing is a little dated, but the emphasis on correct equitation will never go out of style. The elements of developing a proper foundation with horses that this book covers will ensure a safe, succes ...more
Lisa
Aug 24, 2015 Lisa rated it it was amazing
Shelves: books-i-own
If there were more stars I'd give more stars, it is THE master studies class on riding taught by the master himself.
Christopher
Jan 02, 2013 Christopher rated it really liked it
This book continues to give me what I need to advance in my riding. How could it not be dry though, as it is essentially a 'text' book approach to something that we who ride all know has to be 'lived' to be learned. Still, I really, really appreciate that Morris provides what most cannot here, a readable, informative, and detailed guide to the complexity of the rider/horse relationship in building performance. I think its a must to those advancing to hunter/jumper equitation.
Stacey
Oct 05, 2012 Stacey rated it really liked it
So glad I finally read this. He does a beautiful job of explaining the detail of effective action. And I definitely respect his enthusiasm/demand for horsemanship as consistent and compassionate, and his appreciation of each horse for his/her particular strengths or weaknesses. I would have given this 5 stars if it weren't for the repugnant comments on women's looks. Perhaps telling of his age and no more, but sexist nonetheless.
Erin Caldwell
Jul 16, 2012 Erin Caldwell rated it really liked it
I finished this a while ago but forgot to mark it read. I really enjoyed reading this book, although since I borrowed it from a friend, I felt compelled to read it through and it's really a book you would want on your shelf to reference periodically. The photo plates were a little dated - many of the photos were from the 70s and 80s - and sometimes it was a little wordy, but overall it's worth a read if you ride hunt seat.
Rivkah.
Sep 03, 2011 Rivkah. rated it it was amazing
I think the fact that George Morris wrote the book says enough! He gives such good advice in schooling not just rider and horse on the flat as well as jumps. The book tells you how to truely ride a horse efficiantly, and not just "sit and look pretty." I think it's a wonderful book to read for any seat.
Vanessa
Oct 14, 2012 Vanessa rated it it was amazing
Good brush-up book for the intermediate/advanced equestrian. A beginner would benefit from reading this and practicing appropriate things with an instructor. It was a dull read for me as I would much rather be riding than reading but a good read nonetheless.
Tracy
Nov 29, 2015 Tracy rated it really liked it
This is an excellent resource for anybody who rides. The only reason I gave it 4 instead of 5 stars is I ended the book with some questions. He expressed a lot of the "how's", but I feel like he left out some of the "why's."
Caren
Jul 21, 2015 Caren rated it it was amazing
5 stars although very dated. Come on George, time for a new edition!! AHSA and other nostalgic reminders. Would love updated color photos too!
Melanie Sweet
Jan 29, 2012 Melanie Sweet rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-in-2012
George Morris is genius. He comes in second only to the owner of my barn in equestrians I respect.
Punky45
Dec 10, 2014 Punky45 added it
Shelves: 2014
I didn't read every page but I read most of it. Great descriptions and encouragement!
Claire
Oct 27, 2015 Claire rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites, horses
George Morris is king. And he knows what he's talking about. That is all.
Emily
Oct 16, 2009 Emily rated it it was amazing
Was forced to read but you know.........
Bex W
Mar 24, 2012 Bex W rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
Re-riders should alway consult the bible :)
Deborah
May 22, 2011 Deborah rated it really liked it
constant and classic reference. Appalling sexism.
Christine
Sep 22, 2010 Christine rated it it was amazing
George Morris tells you how to ride.
Anne
Anne marked it as to-read
Sep 23, 2016
Clipper Wilson
Clipper Wilson marked it as to-read
Sep 23, 2016
Stef Durham
Stef Durham rated it really liked it
Sep 17, 2016
Danielle Mcconnell
Danielle Mcconnell rated it it was amazing
Sep 14, 2016
Marie
Marie rated it liked it
Sep 04, 2016
Grace B
Grace B marked it as to-read
Sep 01, 2016
Mia
Mia added it
Aug 30, 2016
Kit
Kit marked it as to-read
Aug 29, 2016
Jessa Kinney
Jessa Kinney marked it as to-read
Aug 26, 2016
Kelly Theisen
Kelly Theisen rated it really liked it
Aug 19, 2016
Kathy Tanner
Kathy Tanner rated it it was ok
Aug 19, 2016
  • Complete Training of Horse and Rider in the Principles of Classical Horsemanship: In the Principles of Classical Horsemanship
  • Centered Riding
  • Natural Horse-Man-Ship: Six Keys to a Natural Horse-Human Relationship
  • The Encyclopedia of the Horse
  • 101 Dressage Exercises for Horse & Rider
  • Fabulous Feasts: Medieval Cookery and Ceremony
  • The Art of Horsemanship
  • Horses Never Lie: The Heart of Passive Leadership
  • How Good Riders Get Good: Daily Choices That Lead to Success in Any Equestrian Sport
  • From My Hands to Yours: Lessons from a Lifetime of Training Championship Horses
  • Native Dancer: The Grey Ghost: Hero of a Golden Age
  • National Audubon Society Field Guide to North American Mammals
  • National Audubon Society Field Guide to North American Birds: Western Region (National Audubon Society Field Guide)
  • True Horsemanship Through Feel
  • Secretariat
  • Wild Ride: The Rise and Tragic Fall of Calumet Farm, Inc., America's Premier Racing Dynasty
  • Vegan Vittles: Recipes Inspired by the Critters of Farm Sanctuary
  • The Tao of Equus: A Woman's Journey of Healing and Transformation Through the Way of the Horse