Start by marking “Introducing Camus” as Want to Read:
Introducing Camus

Introducing Camus (Graphic Guides)

This text traces the development of Albert Camus, from his impoverished background in Algeria, through his participation in the French Resistance movement during World War II, to his tragic death in a car crash in 1960. It explores the central theme of his work - the absurdity of existence in a universe without God or any ostensible purpose, and looks at his gradual estran ...more
Published June 15th 1994 by Totem Books (first published 1994)

To ask other readers questions about Introducing Camus, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Introducing Camus

Elham
Jun 19, 2015 Elham rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book starts with the tragic scene of Albert Camus' death and ends with one of his quotes which says dying in a car accident is a "stupid death".

Camus died on January 4, 1960 at the age of 46, in a car accident near Sens, in Le Grand Fossard in the small town of Villeblevin.

Albert Camus the prophet of absurdity of twentieth century was born on 7th November 1913, in Mondovi form parents who immigrated to Algeria as a place for their living. His father died a year later in battle of Marne du
FeReSHte
Jul 30, 2016 FeReSHte rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to FeReSHte by: Elham
Shelves: memoir-biography
کتاب با نام " قدم اول : کامو" در ایران به چاپ رسیده. از تصادف مرگباری که به فوت کامو منجر شد شروع میشه و بعد با یه فلاش بک به سراغ اجداد کامو میره که سال ها قبل از فرانسه راهی الجزایر تازه اشغال شده شدند و سپس به زندگی کامو از تولد تا مرگ پرداخته. زبان کتاب ساده است و همراه شدنش با تصویر به جذابیتش اضافه کرده. کتاب علاوه بر این که روی زندگی در الجزایر و مهاجرت به فرانسه ، فعالیت های سیاسی علیه نازی ها و موضع گیری علیه کمونیسم ، مشاجرات کامو با سارتر و سایردیدگاه های فلسفی کامو تمرکز داره روی چند ...more
Dina
Sep 27, 2015 Dina rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: good
Definitivamente si Camus es un autor que les apasione hay que leer este libro. Habla mucho sobre sus obras y explica muchas cosas que no son tan claras de ver en sus libros, también su visión social y política. Camus era un personaje sumamente interesante y su muerte tan irónica como la vida de sus personajes. Me gustó mucho que está ilustrado, excelentes ilustraciones.
Mariana
No sé si me aburrí más leyendo esto o El Extranjero.
Se suponía que esta lectura tenía que ayudarme a analizar el libro que antes mencioné, sin embargo no lo hizo. Completamente inútil.
Camus definitivamente pasa a mi lista de nunca-más-leer.
البارون حسن  عدس
كتاب جيد جدا , قوي في طريقة عرضة للمعلومة وعمل مراجعة علي حساة كامو وأهم اعمالة
Jonathan
Sep 02, 2015 Jonathan rated it really liked it
I was browsing the Camus books at HPB and I saw this weird little book amongst the Vintage International editions . After thumbing through it k was intrigued enough to spend the 2 bucks and give it a go. I am glad I did. It's a strange mixture of comic book and essay that is concise and at time erudite critical survey of Camus life and times, politics and writing. I was surprised with how engaging the format was.
Chista Rasouli
Jan 19, 2014 Chista Rasouli rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
در هر مردِ گناهکاری، بیگناهیای وجود دارد. این امر هر مجازات مرگی را نفرتانگیز مینماید. ...more
Supriyo Chaudhuri
Mar 18, 2017 Supriyo Chaudhuri rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Like the other introduction series books, this one is an easy and yet thoughtful exposure to the life, work and ideas of Albert Camus. The book wonderfully reflects Camus' complex and often ahead of time views, setting it against the personal perspectives and ethical commitments, presenting him, as other Camus studies have done, as a great French moralist, perhaps the last one!
Chiron
Dec 13, 2014 Chiron rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2014
I was a fan of this series of graphic introductions by "Icon Books" when I was a teenager. I'm catching up on them via abebooks now. Confusingly, there is a similar series published by "For Beginners" books which I am not such a fan of. Even more confusingly, my version of this book has the same cover as pictured but is called "Camus for Beginners"! I guess they had to change the name of the series..

Anyway I enjoyed this book. Like others in the series, it is perfect to read through in an evenin
Nicole
Dec 31, 2009 Nicole rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
While this isn't an indepth biography of Camus it does give life to his literary carrer as well as his life. Camus's works of ficiton and philosophy all deal and are rooted in his own life dealing with his own existence and his country. If you read Camus works and don't understand him then this book will definitely help you. If you read Camus and do understand him then this book will only aid towards your affection for him. Set alongside a graphic novelisc it allows you to see Camus through his ...more
Jasmine
Aug 09, 2011 Jasmine rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: algerian
A beautiful introduction, if you want explanations for why I classify camus as algerian and not as french look here. if you want to understand the absurd look here, if you want to understand pessimistic optimism look here.

"And carrying this absurd logic to its conclusion, I must admit that that struggle implies a total absence of hope (which has nothing to do with despair), a continual rejection (which must not be confused with renunciation), and a conscious dissatisfaction (which must not be c
Andrew
Aug 05, 2013 Andrew rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I've only read one Camus ("The Outsider", although this book would indicate it best translated as "The Stranger"), and that was some time ago, but having recently been drawn to the graphic novel format I thought I'd try this guide as it was available in my library. As it happens, I thoroughly enjoyed the format. The illustrations both inform and break up the text, and the tone is frank and intelligent throughout. I feel I know much more about Camus than I ever did and it makes me want to read th ...more
Richard Bellis
Mar 05, 2014 Richard Bellis rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
An excellent introduction to all of Camus' major works as well as some of the more obscure stuff, it's really well put together and argues some interesting points. It is a delight to have the illustrations throughout the book, though I wouldn't say they really add anything to it. The only real failing, in my view, was that the author was a bit too dogmatic in his opinions on Camus. Generally he views Camus as a better journalist than writer (as he spends too much time in his novels making his ph ...more
Dave Maddock
Grabbed this from the bargain section at Barnes & Noble. I was expecting a graphic novel experience akin to Logicomix but I was rather disappointed. It is better described as illustrated prose.

That said, it did deliver on the title. Mairowitz covers Camus' biography and major works, providing enough context for a reader unfamiliar with Camus to follow along.

This book (and I suspect other "Intro to" volumes) is perfect for intelligent high-schoolers.
Julie Salyards
Jul 06, 2010 Julie Salyards rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is, just as the title suggests, a nice introduction to Camus; although, I feel it would be difficult for a reader possessing little knowledge of Camus' work to fully appreciate: In other words, read his stuff first then read this.
I am a huge fan of Camus and have read most of his work. This is an efficient, thorough yet concise read that gives clear insight into how Camus' life impacted his work. It also does a great job of breaking down the logic of existentialism - no small task - and sp
Jonathon Jones
Mar 31, 2014 Jonathon Jones rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The author does a good job of telling the story of the life of Camus alongside descriptions of his writings, and it's really interesting to see the progression. I came away from this book even more interested in Camus than I had been at the start, and I'm especially curious about his plays/fictions, whereas before I was mostly just interested in his more straightforwardly philosophical works. I also liked learning about some of the history of Algeria, of which I was entirely ignorant before read ...more
Jorge Martinez
Albert Camus was many things, from a philosopher with his existential ideas of his absurd reality, to a revolutionary who stood against the ideals of capital punishment. The text found inside "Introducing Camus" gives you insight on who the man was and summarizes the works and essays with a illustration on each page. The book is not too educational if you are looking for a comprehensive guide to Camus' life, but it is entertaining and well written.
Steve
Sep 21, 2012 Steve rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
If you know me you know that Albert Camus is my favorite writer. His work, not all of which I agree with, has played a key role in making me who I am. If you are new to Camus or fancy yourself an expert you will enjoy "...A Graphic Guide" The author provides a good overview of all the major works, fiction and non-fiction alike. There is ample historical and biographical information combined with thoughtful commentary. The drawings by Alain Korkos make the book even better.
Sam
A great concise introduction to Camus' life and work. Amazing illustrations by Alain Korkos, which dramatically set the scene for Camus' narratives. There is just enough information to not be overwhelming - certainly better than anything Wikipedia could ever accomplish - always engaging the reader.
Raghunath Kalpana-Ananth
Explains the life of Camus in the context of the political and social upheavals of his time in France and Algeria. On top of which ,beautifully overlain is his philosophical growth as seen through select passages from his works - Stranger,Plague,Caligula,The Host, The Rebel and finally The Fall.

Superb!
Jana
Nov 21, 2011 Jana rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
Read this concurrently with The Stranger and The Plague. I now know a lot more about Camus than I did a month ago. He lived in perilous times (Nazi occupation, he is cut off from his home in Algeria), but did not sway from his convictions (individuals are more important than groups, revolt NOT revolution).

The thought that stays with me is: Optimism without Hope. I like it.
Dale
May 11, 2013 Dale rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is the second or third book in the 'Introducing' series that I've read, and I've been impressed each time. This book, on Camus, is a mixture of biography and literary criticism, all illustrated nicely with comicbook panels. I didn't think this approach would be effective, but it is. The illustrations slow down the pace, so that the reader has time to reflect more thoroughly on the text.
David Joseph
Sep 14, 2012 David Joseph rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Thoughtful, respectful and sensitive bio! One of the best in the series.

This bio and Camus' work are like a really smart "meal and wine" pairing.

Very humane treatment by Mairowitz.

Excellent.
David
Dec 24, 2008 David rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
an excellent graphic comic illustrated by Alain Korkos...
insightful, subtle...
Sam Bowyer
May 08, 2014 Sam Bowyer rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Damn concise, overuse of imagery to pad out this introduction.
Michelle
I read this to prep for a presentation on Albert Camus's short story, "The Guest." The illustrated work provided a fairly detailed biography of Camus's life, and summarized his major works.
Camilla
Not a in-depth, scholarly analysis, but exactly what I was looking for; a taste of Camus. Made me want to read more.
Sharon Johnson
the illustrations were great made the read alot easier.
Erick
  • Introducing Linguistics
  • Introducing Genetics
  • Introducing Chomsky
  • Introducing Lacan
Mairowitz is a writer who studied English Literature and Philosophy at Hunter College, New York, and Drama at the University of California, Berkeley.

He is the author of the plays "The Law Circus" (1969 and "Flash Gordon and the Angels" (1971). Other works include "BAMN: Outlaw Manifestos and Ephemera 1965-70," "The Radical Soap Opera: Roots of Failure in the American Left," "Kafka for Beginners" a
More about David Zane Mairowitz...

Graphic Guides (1 - 10 of 104 books)
  • Darwin for Beginners