Start by marking “Dreams of the Ringed Vale (Luthiel's Song, #1)” as Want to Read:
Dreams of the Ringed Vale (Luthiel's Song, #1)

Dreams of the Ringed Vale (Luthiel's Song #1)

4.01 of 5 stars 4.01  ·  rating details  ·  737 ratings  ·  192 reviews
Luthiel's Song is an epic fantasy novel for young adults. It is the first in a series of seven. Below is a description of the story... First Summer's Eve has come and all elves celebrate as the black moon's shadow fades from the world. It is also Luthiel's fifteenth birthday. With it come two extraordinary and dangerous surprises: a Wyrd Stone, its silvery heart a window i ...more
Published April 1st 2005 by Dark Forest Press

The Hobbit by J.R.R. TolkienThe Fellowship of the Ring by J.R.R. TolkienThe Two Towers by J.R.R. TolkienThe Return of the King by J.R.R. TolkienWicked Lovely by Melissa Marr
The Best Books about Elves or Faeries
17th out of 615 books — 774 voters
Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone by J.K. RowlingPride and Prejudice by Jane AustenTo Kill a Mockingbird by Harper LeeThe Lord of the Rings by J.R.R. TolkienAnne of Green Gables by L.M. Montgomery
Books With Unforgettable Characters
97th out of 1,995 books — 3,171 voters

More lists with this book...

Nikki Nielsen
May 03, 2008 Nikki Nielsen rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Both my young adult friends and older friends looking for a fantasy read
Recommended to Nikki by: Ron (thanks)
It finally came in!

This is not just a book, it is an entire fantasy world. In the back there is a glossary of terms used, an appendix of the suns and moons, and an appendix of the elfin runes ... their language and markings compared to our alphabet. The world Robert Fanney has managed to create is amazing in and of itself. There are two incredible pictures of the main character Luthiel, and I didn't see 'illustrated by' anywhere, so he must have drawn them. They are seriously incredible and I fo
Angela Best
May 31, 2007 Angela Best rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Anyone
This delightful tale is the story of a young girl named Luthiel who is forced to go on a dangerous and frightening adventure that is sure to result in her own death. No, forced is a bad word to describe what this delightful heroine does. She goes on this treacherous adventure because it is simply what she has to do. The alternative is unacceptable to her, and as the story unfolds the stakes become even higher than she ever imagined.

As other reviewers have said, Luthiel is an absolutely amazing h
Theri
Nov 19, 2008 Theri rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: All
I was getting tired of reading fantasy novels with male leads and female leads that just didn't seem real to me when I happened to stumble on this book. I'm really glad I did!

A debut novel by a somewhat unknown author, this book had me from page one. The characters seemed real, genuine, and completely convincing. Luthiel is a heroine with traits that exemplify female heroics -- she's not just another buxom sword wielding lady dressed out in skimpy armor.

Not only was the story and main characte
Diana
Jun 12, 2007 Diana rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: All
If you love fantasy novels, this book covers it, you will love it as I did, I really enjoyed this book. It is well written and genuine, a sense of a true heart. I highly recommend it. Dare to dream as Luthiel does. You will be glad you read this book.

It is a fresh and delightful look towards allies least expected. An adventure in heroism, as a young teen elf, named Luthiel, sets out to save someone she loves. Her life as well as others lives are in the balance. This young 15 year old elf, encoun
Ron
Mar 18, 2008 Ron rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Fantasy fans
The author came to my school a couple of weeks ago. I got the book and couldn't put it down. Started at about 5 PM 12 hours later I was thinking about playing hookie. This book will keep you up all night!
Eric
I have not read anything with a elf since LOR. I caught the author on cspan one morning seemed like a bright chap and was pleasently surprised to see him on goodreads. Luthiel's Song is a well written novel with a engaging premise and a dynamic storyline. The style was as lush and layered as the world it protrayed. It was a joy to read and I highly recommend it. Enjoy.
Jen
Mar 01, 2008 Jen rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommended to Jen by: People who love a good Edda
Unlike some, I'm a huge fan of elves and angels. This book had both in ways I hadn't yet imagined. So magical and yet at the same time somehow down to earth this book reminded me what it was like to feel wonder again while standing with feet firmly planted.
Amanda
Not too long ago, I read A Game of Thrones, an excellent fantasy novel with exceptional world building (with fantasy elements kept in moderation--just the way I like it), intrigue and suspense provided by a complex plot, and fully realized characters. That sucker grabbed me and wouldn't let go.

As a fantasy, Luthiel's Song failed because it lacked all of the above. It didn't grab me. Hell, it barely groped me. It was like the awkward boy who took you to the 10th grade dance and was so set on mak
Jessica
Feb 25, 2008 Jessica rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Anyone
This is probably my favorite book of all time. It is not just a book about elves -- though the ones depicted in this story are, in my opinion, really unique -- it is more about a magical world that takes traditional myths and paints them in a subtly new way.

What made me really love this book though, were the characters. They were all so rich and colorful. They have depth, complexity, and deep reasons for being what they are. Though it is a tale about good vrs evil, it does not define good and ev
Katy
Feb 22, 2008 Katy rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Everyone
This book really surprised me. It started out with a traditional story line and then I found myself in an entirely different place altogether. But it wasn't jarring. I was smoothly swept away.

The author's world is filled with fantasy archetypes but they all somehow seem unique and have depth. If you're looking for a story and characters that will really surprise and delight you don't pass up this book.

The only shame is that a major publisher hasn't picked up on this author and put some real hea
Anna
Apr 17, 2009 Anna rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Everyone
This book is amazing! I'm a real lover of fantasy stories. The downside to this is a number of the plot lines seem very similar to one another. Not the case with Luthiel's Song! The story kept surprising me! When you add in the fact that this is a real page-turner and you can't help but be deeply affected by some of the characters, this book is rapidly becoming my new favorite!
Dan
May 31, 2007 Dan rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Fantasy Lovers
From the first page to the final page this book was absolutely amazing. In it were many things I've never seen in a work of this kind before. The Vyrl, in my opinion, were a masterwork. A must read for fantasy lovers.
Tom
I just read this a couple of days ago and man was I blown away. I feel I have in my hands a new fantasy classic. The characters and story were amazing.

The story starts off with a moment of happy abandon but rapidly transitions into a fast paced adventure where Luthiel must make some hard choices if she's going to help the ones she loves.

A must read for any fantasy lover!
Todd
This book was great! I don't think there was a character I didn't like and some of my favorites happened to be the minor ones.
Stephen
3.5 stars. A well done, original YA fantasy epic in the tradition of Tolkien. I enjoyed it.
Gabriel
Apr 04, 2008 Gabriel rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Anyone
Luthiel's Song is tough to match in High Fantasy. The events are extraordinary, the characters very real to me. Lovely writing that brings back a sense of a time forgotten.
Lil
Jun 01, 2007 Lil rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: everyone
i love this book book and i think everyone should read it.. its probably oe of the best books i've ever read
Tracy
May 14, 2008 Tracy rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: People who love a wonderful story
I stumbled upon this book entirely by accident. I was searching for blogs about elves and I read a wonderful rant by the author about people who discriminate against elves. I've met people like that and I think they're pretty silly. So I was intrigued by the writer and I ordered his book.

What I discovered was something extraordinary. The world of Luthiel's Song is a beautiful as it is original. The characters and stories are very compelling to me. I say stories because, even though the main char
Ellen
Mar 18, 2008 Ellen rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Anyone who loves good fantasy
Absolutely amazing! I was lucky to meet the author on a school trip. I can't wait for the next book.
Gayle
I enjoyed this book immensely from the moment I picked it up. Within the first few pages, I was completely engrossed. Each character is so life-like, and Luthiel, the reluctant heroine, is dazzling. I love the imagery in this book. I could picture even the smallest details in my mind's eye with ease. The story itself flows smoothly, sweeping the reader along through both light and shadow. A wonderful read, that has left me wanting more. I cannot wait to see where Luthiel's journey takes her next ...more
Erin
Aug 20, 2008 Erin rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: people new to reading fantasy like me
Recommended to Erin by: good ratings on goodreads!
I thoroughly enjoyed this book - And I am not normally a fantasy reader! The story was really good, and the character of Luthiel is absolutely loveable! Im looking forward to the next book. Im trying to get my thirteen-year-old son to read it now:)
Erin
Follow all my reviews at: http://flashlightcommentary.blogspot....

I have a love hate relationship with fantasy novels. Authors in this genre have the ability to bend the laws of reality. Every book has the potential to expand the imagination beyond the known horizon. The problem for me is that after years of reading high fantasy, not to mention my abiding love of Tolkien, my imagination is rather extensive.

Even by my standards, Luthiel’s Song: Dreams of the Ringed Vale is an adventure. I was tru
Jason
Mar 18, 2008 Jason rated it 5 of 5 stars
Awesome!
Jared
I had high hopes for this book. But ultimately the author spent too much time world-building and not enough character-building. The characters were boring, flat, and unreal. Some of them were written to evoke sympathy, but their emptiness just made me not care.

And the editing was terrible. Words misspelled all over the place, using words wrong... There were so many instances where the author chose an almost-homophone for the word that he was trying to use that I lost count.

I came away with the i
Sydney
I'm new to goodreads and I'm pleased to see people here have discovered this amazing book. Luthiel's Song is not one of the best known fantasy stories, nor is it a mainstream book. But the quality of its story and the heart of its characters makes it so much more. I uncovered this treasure while wandering through a local library looking for something new. The librarian handed me a battered copy of what would become my new favorite fantasy.

Reader beware! If you like carousing and savoring a stor
Flannery
I was a little apprehensive at first--I don't always enjoy when there is a glossary or any type of appendix in a book. However, I've been wanting to read this one for a while--I got the Boston Public Library to purchase it. (Yay!)I started into it with high hopes and...

I was on page 300-something, finished the book, and now I have to get the sequel to see what happens! The story is interesting, fast-paced, and pretty inventive.

I'm not the biggest fan of epic fantasy books because of how many ma
Tracey Alley
Fanney's books are wonderfully light-hearted yet beautifully written fantasy. He creates a believable world with fully three dimensional characters and has a very easy to read style. The relationship between the sisters was thoroughly engaging and very realistic [having been a little sister myself] and the evil Vryl are the kind of villains that can make a story truly special. My only complaint was the very definite 'to be continued....' ending. Still it did make me buy the next book so maybe th ...more
Lisa
I can only assume that there's something wrong with me for not really liking this book--it seems just about everybody everywhere who's read it LOVED it. (It's Goodreads average rating is 4.63, which is higher than most.) I thought it was unnecessarily gruesome in parts, and the plot was not all that unusual. But the most irritating thing was that I had to look up terms and characters in the vast appendix in the back of the book every two pages or so. It took me three weeks to read, another bad s ...more
Mindy
Nov 10, 2008 Mindy rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Fans of Inheritance and Abhorsen Trilogies
Shelves: fantasy, fiction, ya
This was a great book. I think fans of Eragon and Sabriel will enjoy this story. It got a little thick into the moons, and history of how things happen, but it's easy enough to work past it and just enjoy the story.

Not to spoil anything, but I really liked that even the most horrible monster's in Fanney's story have a depth and history that may not forgive their evils, but at least provides an understanding for them.

There is supposed to be a second book coming out soon, and I will definitely be
Sonja
This isn't the sort of book that I would normally pick but it had such high reviews, my curiosity took over. Once I got past all the elf vocabulary that made no sense (but quickly did)I was surprised how much I enjoyed it. Finished it in just over a day and can't believe I have to wait for number two! I didn't realize the second book hadn't been released until after I finished. Oh well. I loved the book.
  • Elfhunter (Tales of Alterra, the World That Is)
  • Eleganta: A Novel of Fairykind
  • Elfland (Aetherial Tales, #1)
  • Fawcetta (Voices and Echoes of the Coliseum, #1)
  • Blackbringer (Dreamdark, #1)
  • Milrose Munce and the Den of Professional Help
  • The Compass Rose (One Rose Trilogy, #1)
  • The Sword and the Dragon (The Wardstone Trilogy, #1)
  • Darkin: A Journey East
  • The Tree Shepherd's Daughter (Faire Folk, #1)
  • Libyrinth (Libyrinth, #1)
  • The Poppet and the Lune (The Complete Series)
  • King's Property (Queen of the Orcs, #1)
  • Sister Light, Sister Dark (Great Alta, #1)
  • The Sword (The Sword, the Ring, and the Chalice, #1)
  • The Silver Bough
  • Woman of Honor (Kingdom of Arnhem, #1)
  • The Harp of the Grey Rose
291916
Robert Fannéy was born on November 4, 1972 in Southeastern Virginia. He lived in Virginia Beach, VA for much of his younger life and currently resides in Washington Grove, MD with his wife, Catherine, and two talkative Maine Coon cats.

The scenic Seashore State Park and the frothy Atlantic Ocean bordered Robert's world as a child. Ever changing and full of mystery, both were an inspiration to Rober
More about Robert Fanney...
The War of Mists (Luthiel's Song, #2) The Death of Winter (Luthiel's Song, #3) Growth Shock

“To be me is to be different...” 56 likes