Start by marking “The Land of Mist (Professor Challenger, #3)” as Want to Read:
The Land of Mist (Professor Challenger, #3)

The Land of Mist (Professor Challenger #3)

liked it 3.0  ·  Rating Details ·  342 Ratings  ·  38 Reviews
This is the third and last novel in the "Professor Challenger" series, and is a marked departure from the previous tales. In this novel Challenger becomes a Spiritualist, and the novel strongly promotes the concept of Spiritualism. A belief strongly adopted by the author towards the end of his life.
This novel was first published in a serial form in "The Strand" magazine Ju
Paperback, Large Print, 516 pages
Published December 20th 2007 by ReadHowYouWant (first published 1926)

To ask other readers questions about The Land of Mist, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Land of Mist

Dave Turner
Feb 18, 2013 Dave Turner rated it it was ok
Shelves: kindle
"As you can see, like all newcomers to a religion, he was intoxicated by his conversion, and, in headlong rush to join, he went too far."

Victor Hugo, Les Miserables.

Marius was the subject of the above quote but it kept springing to my mind while I was reading 'The Land of Mist'. Arthur Conan Doyle wrote this (the third book to feature the great Professor Challenger) after great bereavements and whilst he was increasing his involvement and devotion to spirituality.

Doyle is a great story teller a
Joeri Ryckaseys
Jul 25, 2016 Joeri Ryckaseys rated it it was amazing
A magnificent story about the supernatural. A.C. Doyle, a famous supporter of the spiritualist movement, defends his ideas by putting them in a nove, where he combines sciense with spirituality. Since I am interested in spiritualism I particulary liked to get a view on how things worked in the spiritualist movement in the early 21th century. Verry interesting to read about Doyle's experiences with certain phenomena. I really enjoyed it, and even if you don't believe, it's a great novel anyway :)
Tonk82
Sep 14, 2011 Tonk82 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Marco el libro como finalizado porque efectivamente, he terminado con él. Apenas he leído la mitad, pero ha sido más de lo que soy capaz de soportar, la experiencia me ha irritado bastante.

La editorial Jaguar lo editó hace unos años, olvidado desde hace decenios en el mercado español. No estoy muy seguro de como de accesible está en el extranjero, pero es perfectamente comprensible que muchos aficionados a Doyle tiendan a olvidarlo.

Arthur Conan Doyle no solo fue el creador de Sherlock Holmes o e
Dan
Mar 27, 2016 Dan rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Professor Challenger and Malone return for a third adventure, this time exploring the spiritual world. Malone, along with Challenger's daughter Enid, starts investigating spiritualist meetings for his newspaper. Initially a skeptic, he soon discovers that the spiritualists are right. But can he convince Professor Challenger of the same thing?

This is an odd story as it is essentially Doyle's attempt at making his readers believe in spiritualism. He was an avid believer and much of the contents h
Rikke
Mar 20, 2015 Rikke rated it it was ok
As just about every other Arthur Conan Doyle books, this is a very well written book. The topic of this book, however, could not be further apart from a traditional ACD book. Personally, I didn't like the story. It lacked the depth and extraordinary imagination that can usually be found in his story. The only interesting part of this book, is how this dramatic change in writing style reflects the great effect the death of his wife had on Arthur Conan Doyle.
Hanne
Jun 17, 2014 Hanne rated it did not like it
Shelves: mysteries
This is pure tripe. If it hadn't been about Challenger I would never have finished it. I can't look past the blatant nonsensical propaganda and the agenda Doyle had when he wrote this. He used his character to promote his own cause, forcing his own on them. Bad form and misuse! I disapprove heartily.
Hrairoo
Fascinating stuff.
Диана Стоянова
Jan 23, 2017 Диана Стоянова rated it really liked it
While I was reading the book I never cared to read those appendices until at some point around chapter 15 I decided to check them out. It would be an understatement to say that I was surprised Sir Arthur Conan Doyle hadn't meant it so much as a great story of fiction with a few real-life references as he had actually meant it to be a real-life story with a few fictional alterations to accomodate the narrative. Needless to say, this spoiled the feeling I was having with the book. Don't get me wro ...more
Rory
Mar 22, 2016 Rory rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Completists
First off I'm just going to say that I really do like Conan Doyle's writing. I think he has an incredible way with words when it comes to descriptions. I also like the character he created in the form of Professor Challenger, I feel he has some level of intelligence and endearing qualities despite his blatant attitude as a world class git.
I was stoked as you can imagine but what you can't imagine is how I felt when the disappointment on the printed page befell me.

The book starts of quite promisi
Mike
Oct 27, 2016 Mike rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: books-owned
Forget Sherlock Holmes. My favorite literary creation of Arthur Conan Doyle is Professor Challenger! The Challenger stories are where Doyle lets his freak flag fly, and I love every batshit moment. In the case of The Land of Mist, Doyle decides to bring back his zaniest protagonist in support of his goofiest belief: Spiritualism. It's like the perfect storm of crazy. Although this purports to be a Challenger novel, that character really takes a backseat to Doyle's promotion of the Spiritualist m ...more
Rui
Sep 24, 2013 Rui rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
So… why two stars?

Well, I gave three stars to “The Lost World” and “The Poison Belt” and I cannot, in full conscience, rate “The Land Of Mist” as highly as those two.

You see, Challenger helped those books a lot (in fact I very much defend he was the only reason why “The Poison Belt” actually worked), but here… well… Challenger is not only almost absent, presented as a side character, his nature is also very much changed to suit Doyle’s needs. That is a big no-no. In fact his characterization di
Douglas
Sep 05, 2009 Douglas rated it it was ok
I am not quite sure how this got on my reading list - it has been on there for about four years. I had a difficult time finding the book in print or at the library, but was able to download it onto the Kindle. Of course Arthur Conan Doyle's most famous character is Sherlock Holmes (which I have read the entire canon a couple of times), but this book is about his other adventure series character, Professor Challenger (The Lost World, The Poison Belt, etc). I have read "The Lost World" and found i ...more
Marsten
Sep 16, 2011 Marsten rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: terror
El libro me gustó mucho.
Está escrito en el 1926 y por lo tanto en el estilo auténticamente gótico de esa época. Lo hace diferente y interesante la temática escogida (el mundo misterioso del espiritismo) y la forma de plantearla (con la narración de diversas sesiones espiritistas).
La forma de escribir del Sr. Sir Arthur Conan Doyle es muy hábil y amena, de lectura muy agradable, rápida y altamente adictiva; más aún con la profusión de muchos diálogos. Es muy recomendable la introducción previa al
Ember
Jan 30, 2012 Ember rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
This is the one stinker SACD has. It's written in third person, which takes away much of the character and scenery descriptions. It felt more like propaganda with known characters vaguely scattered throughout. Summerlee is dead. Challenger's wife is dead. Challenger has a daughter, who is the love interest of Malone, not that anything is ever mentioned about it, which is another reason it felt more like propaganda. At times I wondered if it was really him who wrote it, it was that unlike him and ...more
Rose-Ellen
This had characters from the Professor Challenger series, and that provided additional interest.
Primarily, Arthur Conan Doyle wrote this after he had begun his explorations of Spiritualism. There is a mix of fictional and historic characters. The book revolves around Edward Malone (a reporter for the Daily Gazette), Professor Challenger, and Challenger's daughter Enid. Malone has been writing a weekly column about various religions, and now he endeavors to write about Spiritualism. We are presen
Guguk
Aug 13, 2015 Guguk rated it did not like it
I like The Lost World (Professor Challenger #1), and The Poison Belt too~
But this #3 book is in contrast. While the first two books dealt with something dangerous and to read them was quite exiting, in this book Sir Arthur like just wanted to convey defense about spiritualism which he was believe, quoting Bible's verses randomly and refute another verses from the same source.

It's his business if he want to believe spiritualism or anything, but I disappointed to read Prof. Challenger who fought
J.A. Andrade
Mar 01, 2014 J.A. Andrade rated it liked it
No lançamento da segunda parte da série Sherlock Holmes pela BBC, li tantas excelentes críticas sobre a série e fiquei chateado por não ter assistido nenhum capitulo. E também nunca havia lindo nada de Conan Doyle, o que me despertou a curiosidade. Primeiro passo foi pesquisar um pouco sua biografia, e descobri, entre muitas coisas interessantes, que ele foi um estudioso do espiritismo, especialmente apos o falecimento de sua amada mulher. The Land of Mist é um livro que ele escreveu sobre pesqu ...more
Clea
Aug 05, 2012 Clea rated it did not like it
I read this one as part of the Professor Challenger series when I was going over the early history of Science Fiction a couple of months ago, and I managed to soldier through out of sheer stubbornness. To say that it was awful would be putting it mildly. Yes, I understand the circumstances in which this book came to be written, and I realize that it was an attempt by the author to promote his most treasured beliefs, but it basically slaughters the characters and makes the weaknesses of Conan Doy ...more
Timothy James
Mar 02, 2015 Timothy James rated it did not like it
Shelves: abandoned-books
This is only the second book I have abandoned since I joined Good Reads. There is no proper story and the writing is certainly not the author at his best.

In fact, this is just a piece of propaganda for Spiritism, with fanciful events presented as factual and undeniable to the honest person. All Spiritism believers are presented as noble and viceless while sceptics have ulterior motives or are deliberately antagonistic and obstructive.

This is a very disappointing book and in spite of enjoying ma
Karib
Jun 04, 2012 Karib rated it it was ok
I have not read any of the other books with Professor Challenger in them, but looking at other reviews it seems that this is an anomaly in the series. Really, it read more like a thinly-veiled attempt at converting others to spiritualism. Overall, it's not too bad a read, but it still is a far cry from how Conan Doyle usually writes.
Diego
Feb 17, 2013 Diego rated it did not like it
So far, this is the only book from Arthur Conan Doyle I have not liked. It reads more like a several hundred pages long pamphlet for spiritism than like a novel. Actually, I left it to rest for several months and just decided to finish it up the other day, and even this last bit I had left has felt like crossing the desert.
I definitely would not recommend it.
Simona
Sep 10, 2016 Simona rated it liked it
I enjoyed the concept and the discussions in this book in the times of 'Spiritualism' and what the thoughts of the period where ... the characters ofcourse are all strong and well written in the style of the great Sir Arthur Doyle ... even after all the years since this book was first written it is still quite relevant.
Jack Gibson
May 01, 2013 Jack Gibson rated it it was ok
Shelves: fiction
Confusing for me when I read this one. I didn't finish it as personally Doyle's turning to spirituality was not of appeal...I will just have to keep the happier memories of reading the previous too books in the Professor Challenger series and try not to dwell on the direction Doyle took him in.
George Heinz
Feb 24, 2013 George Heinz rated it did not like it
A big disappointment. It lacks any of the excitement of the other professor challenger stories, in fact challenger himself hardly features. Instead it appears to be little more than a thinly veiled defence of spiritualism.
Polly
Aug 30, 2011 Polly rated it it was ok
This story loses its thread pretty quickly, as it's about Spiritualism, one of the things Conan Doyle became very flaky about and thus had no perspective about. I don't think I ever managed to finish it; it's a rather sad contrast to the other Challenger stories.
Michael Brown
May 05, 2015 Michael Brown rated it did not like it
Doyle was a follower of spiritualism. This story combined the Challenger characters and his support of the movement. While not a bad story it was not a good one and not a balance to the characters.
Spencer
Apr 18, 2016 Spencer rated it did not like it
Weak story line, felt more like preaching about the persecution of spiritualism and trying to convince the reader spiritualism is real without any real proof. It's hard to prove facts with a work of fiction.
Ross Andrew
Mar 06, 2016 Ross Andrew rated it liked it
Roma
Mar 23, 2016 Roma added it
Shelves: english-lit, novel
Well-written, of course. An easy read. The subject - spiritualism - does not interest me all that much.
Liam
Jan 04, 2015 Liam rated it did not like it
The book starts by telling you spiritualism is a pile of shit and then proceeds to force you to eat said pile of shit/
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »
  • The Lerouge Case
  • A Gent From Bear Creek
  • Tales of Soldiers and Civilians
  • Voyage dans la Lune
  • Fury
  • The Nameless City
  • Two Down (Crossword Mysteries, #2)
  • Waiter, There's a Clue in My Soup! Five Short Mysteries
  • The Long Man (Sci Fi Essential Books)
  • The Humanoids (Humanoids #1)
  • Spoiled Rotten America: Outrages of Everyday Life
  • 616. Todo Es Infierno
  • The People That Time Forgot (Caspak, #2)
  • Phoenix Without Ashes
  • Heavy Metal: The Music and Its Culture
  • Dorked by the Rings (a diary of Middle-dirt)
  • Rogue Trooper: Tales of Nu-Earth, Vol. 1
  • The Best Book in the World
Arthur Conan Doyle was born the third of ten siblings on 22 May 1859 in Edinburgh, Scotland. His father, Charles Altamont Doyle, was born in England of Irish descent, and his mother, born Mary Foley, was Irish. They were married in 1855.

Although he is now referred to as "Conan Doyle", the origin of this compound surname (if that is how he meant it to be understood) is uncertain. His baptism record
More about Arthur Conan Doyle...

Professor Challenger (5 books)
  • The Lost World (Professor Challenger, #1)
  • The Poison Belt (Professor Challenger, #2)
  • When the World Screamed
  • The Disintegration Machine

“The most dangerous condition for a man or a nation is when his intellectual side is more developed than his spiritual".” 0 likes