Start by marking “Edith Wharton” as Want to Read:
Edith Wharton

Edith Wharton

4.03 of 5 stars 4.03  ·  rating details  ·  172 ratings  ·  13 reviews
This an American writer."--The New York Times Book Review.
Published October 1st 1993 by Fromm Intl (first published 1975)

To ask other readers questions about Edith Wharton, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Edith Wharton

Dale
Wharton is a literary hero of mine. In the 21st century I still continue to feel various expectations from family, community, religion and society. I can only imagine the insufferable structure and discipline and conformity she grew up in as a member of one of New York's most prominent families. That, even in that time, thousand times more confirming and constricting than now, she had the temerity to finally stand up and decide to do what her soul, mind and heart drove her to do: write. The fact ...more
Caroline
Very informative regarding the life of Edith Wharton, but the last two chapters appear rushed and incomplete. At 592 pages it is no wonder - Lewis simply ran out of space. I think Lewis wanted to emphasize the happier, busier times of Edith rather than the lonely end with all of her friends preceding her in death. She was an incredibly prolific author, proficient in many languages, and a member of many elite social circles. And yet Edith seemed to feel alone within a crowd full of people.
Aya
My main problem at the moment is the somewhat familiar tone that Lewis seems to be taking. Overall the narrative doesn't seem to impart information very well. On page 209 it's noted that Wharton is about to begin the release of "The Custom of the Country" but a lot more detail is spend discussing trips and meals and friends than books. Lewis is attempting to do justice to a writer he perceives as humorous and warm. While I agree w/his goal at points I am not finding the text to be ideal for my r ...more
Richard Kramer
read this a thousand years ago. lewis was one of my english professors. he changed my life, although i don't remember how, exactly. but he changed it. david milch was his teaching assistant. did i read middlemarch in that class?
i remember the revelation of this was that she had a late blooming but rich erotic awakening. free association ... scorsese age of innocence is awful. terrence davies house of mirth is one of my favorite films ever.
oh yeah, a few years ago i read custom of the country whi
Kay Davis
This is the definitive biography of Edith Wharton, first published in hardcover in 1975. It is still the best biography on the market about Edith Wharton. It contains personal details Wharton biographers seldom discuss.
Lara
I read this a few years ago as part of my thesis research, and I found the book most useful. Despite the current "hurrah!" attitude toward Hermione Lee's Wharton biography, I prefer this one - Lee has a few errors that piss me off.

This book won the Pulitzer Prize, which is interesting considering Wharton was the first woman to win the Pulitzer. It's an informative biography that is still useful today. And avoid Lee - ugh.
Shirl
This is not just a biography but history. It took awhile to get through, but it was worth every minute. Edith surrounded herself with various authors and prominent people in whatever country she was either visiting or residing. WWl,Parisian and American politics had her attention and sometimes direct involvement. No wonder this biography was a Pulitzer prize winner.
Dyer
Sep 26, 2011 Dyer marked it as to-read
Shelves: biography
Bought years ago after listening to two of her books on tape and then watching the movie adaptation of the Age of Innocence by Martin Scorsese. The two books: Ethan Fromme and The House of Mirth. Unforgetable characters in all three. Conflicted flawed and reflections of the mores of the times they lived. I anticipate reading this biography soon during my retirement.
Leslie
May 15, 2009 Leslie marked it as to-read
To follow up with my new found fascination regarding all things Edith (including her home in the Berkshires which I plan to go and visit now), a recommendation from my sister-in-law that she said is excellent. The library ordred it for me and I cannot wait to dive in .I am lingering over Age of Innocence; just a few more pages to savor.
Alison
Very well-written, though long and not very exciting (although this is not the biographer's fault). An respectful examination of the life of Edith Wharton.
Pat
Jul 14, 2012 Pat is currently reading it
Did Edith Wharton and Theodate Pope Riddle ever meet? Just went to Hillsdale Museum and I highly recommend the house tour!
Aneece
Nice balance between telling her story and critiquing her work.
Sara
Jul 29, 2011 Sara marked it as to-read
1976 pulitzer-biography
Cheryl
Cheryl marked it as to-read
Feb 23, 2015
Daniel Stephens
Daniel Stephens marked it as to-read
Feb 23, 2015
Alexis
Alexis added it
Feb 17, 2015
Ginger Hewitt
Ginger Hewitt marked it as to-read
Feb 13, 2015
Joan Happel
Joan Happel marked it as to-read
Feb 12, 2015
Clarissa
Clarissa marked it as to-read
Feb 11, 2015
Katherine
Katherine marked it as to-read
Marianne
Marianne marked it as to-read
Patricia
Patricia marked it as to-read
Marisa
Marisa marked it as to-read
Feb 03, 2015
Jennifer marked it as to-read
Jan 24, 2015
  • Henry James: A Life
  • Samuel Johnson
  • A Prince of Our Disorder: The Life of T.E. Lawrence
  • The Raven: A Biography of Sam Houston (Texas Classics)
  • Charles Sumner and The Coming of the Civil War
  • Fortunate Son: The Healing of a Vietnam Vet
  • Jackson Pollock: An American Saga
  • The Spirit of St. Louis
  • The Most Famous Man in America: The Biography of Henry Ward Beecher
Dante The American Adam The City of Florence: Historical Vistas and Personal Sightings The Letters of Edith Wharton The Jameses: A Family Narrative