Fullmetal Alchemist, Vol. 15 (Fullmetal Alchemist, #15)

Fullmetal Alchemist, Vol. 15 (Fullmetal Alchemist #15)

4.57 of 5 stars 4.57  ·  rating details  ·  3,081 ratings  ·  63 reviews
The horrors of the Ishbalan campaign occurred years before Ed became a state alchemist, and has serious repercussions, which set the tone for the complicated dealings of present-day state politics. Lieutenant Hawkeye reluctantly tells Ed all the dread details of the role Colonel Mustang and the other state alchemists played in this tragic event.
Published December 18th 2007 by VIZ Media LLC (first published November 22nd 2006)

To ask other readers questions about Fullmetal Alchemist, Vol. 15, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Fullmetal Alchemist, Vol. 15

Fruits Basket, Volume 01 by Natsuki TakayaFullmetal Alchemist, Vol. 01 by Hiromu ArakawaDeath Note, Vol. 1 by Tsugumi OhbaVampire Knight, Vol. 01 by Matsuri HinoBleach Volume 01 by Tite Kubo
good manga
65th out of 454 books — 162 voters
Fullmetal Alchemist, Vol. 01 by Hiromu ArakawaBlack Butler, Vol. 01 by Yana TobosoFullmetal Alchemist, Vol. 27 by Hiromu ArakawaFullmetal Alchemist, Vol. 06 by Hiromu ArakawaFullmetal Alchemist, Vol. 23 by Hiromu Arakawa
My Graphic Novels and Manga
32nd out of 89 books — 13 voters

More lists with this book...

Katie (Books and Katie)
How could we have fallen this low?

Review:

We finally learn everything about what happened in Ishbal, but while this answers some questions, it also brings up new ones.

Who is the Red Locust Alchemist?

Quotes:

Riza: "No matter how difficult things get, no matter how foolish you look struggling under the weight of your burdens, you have to keep living for the people you love."

"All tiny parts come together to form the great flow that makes up the world. So if negative feelings pervade our world, the...more
Bitsy
In volume 15 we get one big, huge, volume long flashback. But, don’t worry, every moment is worth it. We hear about what the war in Ishbala was like for Mustang and his men and we get to see Hughes again! We also get some Mustang/Hawkeye back story. The scenes depicting the war were brutally realistic and heart breaking. The gravity of the war and it’s affect on both sides and in every rank was dealt with in a very serious and realistic manner. The parallels between this war and World War II wer...more
Smaileh
On the recommendation of the kids in my Manga Book Club, Fullmetal Alchemist was the first anime that I watched. I was captivated immediately. I also love the manga series. One of the things I'm enjoying about it is the differences between the two formats. It's almost like an alternate alternate reality which allows me to still have that sense of anticipation and surprise.

This entire volume is an extended flashback to the Ishbalan Massacre. We get to know more about the relationship between Hawk...more
Sarah Sammis
Fullmetal Alchemist Volume 15 by Hiromu Arakawa draws on lengthy interviews with world war two vets to tell an issue long flashback about the Ishbalan war.

The story is told through a conversation between Hawkeye and Ed as she cleans her weapon. She tells of how she came to be in the military, how she and the rest of Mustang's squad were brought together and the brutality expected of the State Alchemists against the Ishbalans.

If I were teaching a history of modern warfare class, I would include F...more
Victoria
I loved this volume because it was a flashback that worked. So many authors and producers fumble flashbacks, but this one wasn't jarring at all. In fact, it was a fascinating window into some of the characters, and answered a lot of questions.

Travel back in time to learn about the brutality of the Ishbalan war, and how well-known characters like Mustang, Hawkeye, Hughes, and Armstrong met, interacted, and learned to cope with the horrors they faced on the front. I learned so much more about the...more
Federiken Masters
Jun 17, 2011 Federiken Masters rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Todo el mundo.
Recommended to Federiken by: Lo mismo
Tomo duro y jodido como él solo. Los horrores de la guerra salen a la luz en boca de uno de los personajes más parsimoniosos de la serie, y las mandíbulas caídas acompañan a los ojos vidriosos. Con este tomo siguen dando ganas de leer más pero uno reza porque pare un cacho el derrame de sangre. Eso sí, la ilustración secreta del lomo, absolutamente genial. Creo que de momento es mi favorita.
Jhaniel
Honestly, if I could give this volume six stars, I would. Or even seven. Arakawa's art is so good at this point and the characters are well-established and likable enough that to finally get the full story of their horrific backgrounds in the civil war is both incredibly powerful and further complicates their motivations, personalities, and actions moving forward. Storytelling at its finest. The fact that major players on the side of good in this story were participants in genocide a decade prev...more
Christine
A flashback to the war that's been eluded to throughout the series. Still fascinating, but I have a hard time placing this in my ya section.
Annerooo
Fact: This manga is a mine of gold quotes.

"You moved forward onto this path on your own, why are you playing the victim now?"

"Look at the people you're killing in the face. And don't forget them. Don't forget. Don't forget. They won't forget you either."

"Hughes, why are you fighting?"
"It's simlple. I don't want to die. That's all."

"And what is God in the first place? Is it not just an idol created by weak humans who want someone to depend on?"

"Even if I were to choose a specific religion after...more
Kenna
This volume in particular focuses on some of my favorite themes from the series, so let me talk about it in full here, though I'll likely reference parts that were not from this volume or are from the anime.

The Amestrian military is full of favorite characters (certainly mine). Roy is dorky and a great leader; Riza is quiet and responsible; Maes is obnoxious and sweet; Alex is self-confident and innocent. They're lovely people that are very well-developed prior to this volume. The Ishvalan Civil...more
Joe Malley
You might not be surprised, but I am doing another Fullmetal Alchemist review. This review is on Fullmetal Alchemist vol. 15. This part of the series was about Riza Hawkeye telling Ed about the Ishvalan Civil War. I liked that they showed what actually happened in the civil war. I also liked how the plot for the civil war was laid out. The pictures made this book more of a draw-in to what is happening.
The plot along with the pictures showing what happened in the civil made the book seem clearer...more
Samira
I usually refrain myself from keeping record of my manga reading here; for that I prefer using MyAnimeList. However I'll make this exception seeing I can't review an especific installment of a series there.

Fullmetal Alchemist has been one of my favorite series since watching the original anime and, now, after watching Brotherhood, I decided to stop putting it off and finally read the original work.

The incredible thing about #15 is how we can better understand the reasoning and arguments of Musta...more
Jenni Hibdige
Susan
Dear Tokyopop: Sometimes I REALLY HATE your translators. It's nothing personal. It's just that, well, when they change a characters name half way through the series, or when there's something so off I can pick it up, we have A Problem. Kay? Kay. Anyway, this is kinda - not up to the standard I expect of FMA? Don't get me wrong, I flailed because HUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUGHES and BROKEN ROY and BROKEN RIZA, and NOT!CRAZY SCAR and his FAMILY a-and holy shit, Kimberly + homunculi? SCARY STUFF and...more
Nidah (SleepDreamWrite)
What really happened at Ishabal? That' what this volume explains. We learn about the characters and what happened that day. This got intense real fast and sad too. Good volume in the Full Metal Alchemist series.
Bludhaven
Intersting. This volume is focused on telling the story of the Ishwal war and also gives us some insight into the character of Roy: where did he learn alchemy, what's his connection with Riza, why did he decide to try and get to the top of his country.

It also gives background on how Scar became the man he is now and how exactly Winry's parents died.

A lot of things come together when these memories are revealed and a "newish" character is intoduced who'll play a part in the present soon.

The story...more
Wee!wawaLAA!!!
awwww
this is probably one of the more moving volumes
but not revolving around edward and alphonse as much, but more like the Ishbal war
there's so many bitter feelings
and the soldiers have to obey orders, despite their own conscience
This volume is all about the all mighty Colonel Mustang, from when he was learning from Master Hawkeye to pursuing to change the world into a world of peace.
and what happened to Winry's parents
and how evil the military can be, forcing people against their will and cont...more
Christa  Seeley
We finally get to know what happened during the war!

This issue kind of felt like a bit of a game changer. You were always rooting for these characters but now you know what many of them are fighting for and it's become much more serious/emotional then it was.

I liked that we got to know more about the secondary characters. Especially Hawkeye and Mustang. I've always been curious about the nature of their relationship and it's really laid out on the table here.

And I never thought I'd say this but...more
Korynn
Jan 01, 2008 Korynn rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: fans of fullmetal
Shelves: manga
This volume gives us a great deal of backstory, it is practically a prequel to the first volume, excepting that it has little to do with Ed and Al. It examines the war that brought so many of the older characters together and its numerous unforgivable atrocites which explains why the alchemists have such a bad reputation. We are finally given Scar's backstory, the details of the Rockbells' demise, and the backstory regarding Hawkeye's and Mustang's relationship.
A great volume for fans!
Rockbell
FMA Reread of 2012:

War, loyalty, friendship, bravery, life and death...five stars is not enough for this volume.

That jacket note, where Arakawa-sensei shared about the trauma of one war veteran...as it had left a deep impression on her, so does with me. I've never forgotten about this note.

That scene where Roy points out to Hughes that war cliche, like he's trying to subvert it. (view spoiler)

earthy
Major, in-depth flashback on the Ishbal civil war and its effect not only on the region and its people, but also on Riza, Roy, Hughes, Armstrong, and the other military folks we've come to know and love. While I think the flashback is really bulky, I love the scene beforehand between Riza and Ed, particularly Ed's reaction to Riza asking him if he's in love with Winry. ^o^ Also some interesting background on Riza and Roy.
Majuchan
heart crushing

Hiromu takes the reader to the full account of the Ishaballian War in this volume; With all the drama and the merciless killings of our beloved and not-so-beloved characters. After reading this, I think I can fully understand more the characters and their behavior and decisions.

Even I have not yet finished reading this series, I can really tell that this is a work of MASTERPIECE.
Courtney
More reviews at Rondo of a Possible World: YA Book Reviews

Action-packed, thickening plot, three-dimensional characters, and humor drizzled on each character, Fullmetal Alchemist is a book that should definitely be read by all. Left me with tears in my eyes and a warm heart for every character that you meet along Ed and Al's long journey.
Kim
The majority of this volume was in flashback, most of it dealing with the Ishbalan war. It's really intense and sad and you can really see the motivation of Hawkeye, Mustang, Hughes, Lt. Armstrong. There is also a lot of background about the Rockbells, Scar, Marcoh and Kimblee. Over all, a fantastic look at the terrors of war and how it affects different people.
Robert Beveridge
Hiromu Arakawa, Fullmetal Alchemist vol. 15 (ViZ, 2006)

An entire volume told in flashback, as we see a number of the cast members during the War of Ishbal. It seems that some of the characters we'd previously thought of as good have dark sides to them, and vice versa. A lot of character development, a decent amount of action, and a lot of fun. Series continues to be strong. ****
Aubrey Hansen
This volume pauses the main storyline to reveal the truth about what happened in the Ishbalan war. A very engaging piece of backstory. As it deals with war, there is some naturally graphic/disturbing elements. There's also a scene that implies that a young woman shows a young man the tattoo on her back, but nothing is shown "on screen."
Selena
I found myself skimming portions of this do to large amounts of text bubbles that seemed infinitesimally small...
Becca
I had a little trouble getting through this one for some reason. I normally love backstory on characters and/or plot, but I just was not feeling it in the volume. I could really not tell you why that is though. :/
Rae
This volume really went into depth on the War in Ishval, and is one of the few times so far that I wished that Brotherhood was even more accurate to the book...and that's saying a lot considering most of the episodes practically use the comic as storyboards and just animate the in-between movements!
  • Bleach Volume 16: Night of Wijnruit (Bleach #16)
  • Fullmetal Alchemist: To Each His Own Bonds (Fullmetal Alchemist, #5)
  • D.Gray-man, Vol. 13: The Voice of Darkness (D.Gray-man, #13)
  • Blue Exorcist, Vol. 8
  • Pandora Hearts, Vol. 08
Hiromu Arakawa, 荒川 弘, is a Japanese mangaka famous for the series Fullmetal Alchemist. Her real name is Hiromi Arakawa.

Born on May 8, 1973 in Tokachi, Hokkaidō, Japan, Arakawa was born and raised on a dairy farm with three elder sisters and a younger brother. Arakawa thought about being a manga artist "since [she] was little" and during her school years, she would often draw on textbooks. After gr...more
More about Hiromu Arakawa...
Fullmetal Alchemist, Vol. 01 (Fullmetal Alchemist, #1) Fullmetal Alchemist, Vol. 02 (Fullmetal Alchemist, #2) Fullmetal Alchemist, Vol. 03 (Fullmetal Alchemist, #3) Fullmetal Alchemist, Vol. 07 (Fullmetal Alchemist, #7) Fullmetal Alchemist, Vol. 05 (Fullmetal Alchemist, #5)