Start by marking “The Runaway Robot” as Want to Read:
The Runaway Robot

The Runaway Robot

"We're returning to earth," Paul's father tells him. Paul is wildly excited, for all human beings on the planet Ganymede dream of going back to Earth some day. Then Paul finds out that he cannot take his robot Rex with him. Rex has been his constant companion for sixteen years. Leave him behind? Never!

So begins a series of breathtaking adventures in space as Paul and his r
Published July 28th 1985 by Scholastic (first published 1965)

To ask other readers questions about The Runaway Robot, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Runaway Robot

Melki
After all, I was only a robot. I wasn't a human even if I did feel like one sometimes. At least I thought that what I felt must have been somewhat the same as human emotions.

Sixteen-year-old Paul grew up on Ganymede. He lives in a colony where they grow herbs and fungus for the people of Earth. (Yeah - just go with it.) He's known Rex, a robot purchased to be his companion, almost his entire life. Now, Paul's family is returning to their home planet and they can't afford to take Rex along. So, t
Mahdi
این کتاب، یکی از بهترین اتفاقات دوران کودکی ام بود. فقط از دو سه تا کتاب این قدر لذت بردم که خاطره شون، بعد از این همه سال، هنوز تو ذهنم مونده، یکیشون، این کتابه.
Nastaran
از ده سالگی به بعد تا یه چند سالی یه سری کتاب از انتشارات بنفشه خوندم که قصه یادمه ولی اصلا یادم نمیاد اسماشون چی بوده... بیشترشون رو از کتابخونه امانت میگرفتم... یکیشون همین روبوت فراری بود...الان که فکر میکنم یادم میاد بزرگ ترین مسئله ام این بود که خب چرا "روبوت"؟؟؟؟
قصه یادمه... یه سری صحنه های کتاب یادمه... حتی تصویر اینکه کجا بودم وقتی داشتم این کتاب رو میخوندم یادمه... غرق شدنم تو قصه رو یادمه... فکر میکنم یازده سالم بود...
چقدر ساده بود دنیای کودکی... چقدر لذت بخش بود این کتاب...
Matt
Apr 20, 2013 Matt rated it really liked it
I like science fiction, and a lot people ask me to recommend science fiction novels for kids. The problem is there is not a lot good stuff out there. I read this one as a kid and I really liked it.

Unfortunately, this is a hopelessly dated because of the life found on other planets of our solar system, but if you keep an open mind it could take place in an alternate universe. This is also long out of print, so you'll be lucky to get a copy at a book sale or the Internet, or at your local library
Ahmad Sharabiani
Runaway Robot, Lester del Rey
عنوان: روبوت فراری؛ نویسنده: لستر دل ری؛ مترجم: حسین ابراهیمی؛ laowhj kav: قدیانی - کتاب های بنفشه، 1378؛ در 175 ص
پسرکی به نام پل همراه پدر، مادر و خواهرش در یکی از قمرهای مشتری زندگی میکنند این قمر کوچ نشینی بوده که انسانها و روبوتهای زیادی در آن زندگی میکردند رکس روبوت همدردی بوده که از بچگی با پل ( صاحبش ) بزرگ شده و از او مراقبت میکرده و حال پل و خانواده اش قصد رفتن به کره ی زمین را دارند ولی بردن روبوتها به کره ی زمین خرج زیادی دارد و از این رو پل به هیچ وجه قصد
Stephen
Jan 13, 2015 Stephen rated it it was amazing
I know this is primarily a kids book, but I still enjoy it now after several years of first reading it. It's not only a fascinating story of a very well-thought out universe of the future, but a very interesting moral and spiritual investigation of "conscious machines" like robots. Rex is a very good and sometimes funny narrator, and, as a robot, he has a unique point of view. I must admit I never thought of many sci-fi space stories from the intelligent robot's point of view: it's quite fascina ...more
Jim Razinha
Jul 30, 2016 Jim Razinha rated it it was amazing
This is THE book...the one that set me on a Year of Nostalgic Re-reads, and the one that prompted a nine-year old boy to declare unequivocally that Lester del Rey was the "best science fiction writer ever!" Okay, so he wasn't...but del Rey was a pretty savvy editor and publisher. I finally got this from openlibrary.org (they had some issues with their waiting list code), and thoroughly enjoyed reading it again after 43 years. Dated, and clearly aimed at a juvenile audience, del Rey snuck in a fe ...more
Dave Lefevre
Feb 25, 2013 Dave Lefevre rated it really liked it
I remember seeing this book, with its classic cover of a running, boxy robot, on the shelf in one my classes in grade school. For some reason I've always remembered it when I thought of Asimov's "I, Robot." There is no relation there except for the robot, though. I don't think I ever read it in grade school. After it came to my mind once again while I read some Asimov novels I decided that I needed to read it. I'm glad I did. It isn't that deep, but it is nonetheless a classic.

By the way, Wikipe
Mark Bondurant
Jun 27, 2015 Mark Bondurant rated it it was amazing
This was one of, if not the first SF book I ever read, and it's as good as I remember. A boy and his caretaker robot, as told from the robot's point of view, run away when the father sells the robot to save on shipping, when they move back to Earth from Ganymede, Jupiter. It's pure kid stuff, with no real bad guys, concluding in the inevitable, slightly improbable, happy ending. But don't let this dissuade you. This isn't dumb fluff. This is real, old school SF story, from back when SF was a veh ...more
Danial Behzadi
Aug 16, 2016 Danial Behzadi rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
یکی از بهترین کتابهایی بود که در کودکی خوندم. راضیم ازش. ...more
Jerry
Mar 31, 2013 Jerry rated it really liked it
A Quickie Review

Though George Lucas' space opera is easily the best-known science fiction work, intergalactic tales were alive and well before Star Wars, and The Runaway Robot is an excellent example. Narrated from the android's perspective, it's a well-written, fun, and cute story of a 'bot who doesn't want to lose his best mate. The book may prove hard to find, given its age and "out of print" status, but I'm sure any young science fiction fan would adore it.

Score: 4/5
Alexandra Holt
Apr 07, 2015 Alexandra Holt rated it really liked it
Shelves: books-13-25
When Paul's father tells him that they will be leaving Gandymede and returning to Earth, Paul is ecstatic; at least that is what Rex's logical sensors tell him Paul is. Rex is Paul's very own robot and has been with him since Paul was just a young boy. As the house is packed and the speeder is sold, Rex finds himself alone with Paul's father and a man who is interested in buying him as well. As Rex too is sold, his logical sensors start to go haywire and he realizes that he truly feels emotion a ...more
Zoltán
Ha huszonöt évvel ezelőtt olvasom, biztosan rajongtam volna érte. Van azonban a jól megírt könyveknek egy sajátossága: bármikor is lapozod fel őket, valamit mindig nyújtanak számodra, amitől egy picit több leszel. Nem ugyanazt mondják egy nyolcéves gyermeknek, egy tizenöt éves kamasznak vagy egy (tévedésből?) beléjük botlott középkorú pápaszemnek, de hogy mondanak valamit, az tuti. Ez a könyv ilyen. Reggel nyolc óra három perckor szórakoztat. Tizenegy előtt hat perccel elülteti benned a könyvsze ...more
Liz
Mar 14, 2016 Liz rated it really liked it
A fine story of intra-planetary intrigue, AI advancement, and tweener angst. I especially like that this is a Scholastic Book, meaning that schools are (were; its pretty old) promoting science fiction.
Behdad Ahmadi
Dec 22, 2014 Behdad Ahmadi rated it it was amazing
یکی از محبوب ترین کتاب های نوجوانیم، و کتابی که خیلی خیلی روم تاثیر گذاشت و به معنای واقعی باهاش زندگی کردم.
bup
Jul 14, 2012 bup rated it really liked it
Shelves: ya, genres-i-hate, 2012
What's not to love in revisiting a story where a kid and a robot stow away on a space freighter? Isn't that the most straight-ahead premise for a book for boys ever? I wasn't expecting much, except some nostalgia from a book I read originally in (4th?) grade.

Although this won't come back in print, I'm sure, it's kind of fun to look at the parts of this kids' sci-fi that still stand up, and aren't embarrassing from a 2012 POV. Moons of Jupiter are inhabited, but not Jupiter. The moon Gannymede,
Carissa
Apr 22, 2014 Carissa rated it it was amazing
A lighthearted tale about a boy and his robot, I found this book tucked behind some others on a shelf in a discount book store. I knew right away that is was going to be a sweet tale and couldn't wait to get started. I was not disappointed.
DW
I fell in love with Rex when I read this book as a child, and that's why I became a roboticist. He's loyal, funny, hardworking, smart, and clever. I still think about the scene where he had to change his own batteries, or the time he knew something was wrong with him but didn't know how to diagnose it. Oh, if only any of my own robots were half as capable and lovable as Rex.

Sadly, this book did not stand up well to rereading as an adult. Or maybe I was just too quick to take umbrage at the depic
Shahab
Jun 05, 2015 Shahab rated it it was amazing
Loved reading this as a child! :D
Bethany Rae
Jul 30, 2014 Bethany Rae rated it it was amazing
When I was in middle school, my mom gave me her yellow taped-up copy of this book and told me it was one of her favorite books as a kid. As well it should be. It's the story of a robot wishing to be human without realizing how human he already is. Very sweet book; highly recommended, if you can manage to find a copy. Currently I believe it is out of print.
Dec 12, 2007 Laura rated it really liked it
Shelves: children-s-book
This was another book that my dad read to us when we were younger. But unlike Earth Abides, it was a children's story, so it was interesting. It was a book he read when he was a kid, and so now I have a copy so that I can read it to my kids
Kevin
Aug 03, 2013 Kevin rated it liked it
I remember reading this story as a kid and it was worth a re-read. A boy and his robot try to sneak back to earth and it touches on robots intelligence type questions. A little odd juxtaposing it with the Frederick Douglass I'd read earlier today.
Andrew Wooldridge
One of the first sci-fi books I read as a kid. It's one that really sticks with me even after all this time. The technology is dated of course, but the characters and the story are pretty compelling for a young reader nevertheless.
CLM
Nov 04, 2007 CLM rated it it was ok
Shelves: childrensbooks
I picked this up at a bookfair yesterday (based on its title, the subject matter, and the affectionately worn Scholastic Book Services packaging) for my five year old nephew, and while he enjoyed it, I found it somewhat disappointing.
Karl Bullinger
Nov 16, 2012 Karl Bullinger rated it it was amazing
One of my favorite books. When I first read it, in sixth grade, I couldn't put it down. It seems a little dated, technologically, now, but the story is still wonderful. I look forward to reading it to my daughter some day.
Timothy Boyd
Mar 17, 2016 Timothy Boyd rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was one of the first true SiFi books I read as a young reader. Del Rey writes an excellent story to introduce a new our very young reader to the SiFi genre. Very recommended
Hien
Jan 30, 2009 Hien rated it liked it
Shelves: science-fiction
This was my first Lester Del Rey book. I think I read it when I was in fifth grade. I remember liking it at the time. I credit this book with turning me on to science fiction.
Red
Jun 23, 2009 Red rated it it was amazing
Shelves: sf, ya
The first SF book I ever read. Loved it, grabbed me hook line & sinker, started my love of SF that has yet to wane.
J.
Nov 07, 2009 J. rated it really liked it
A fantastic adaptation of "Uncle Tom". Really top notch SF for children...highly recommended.
Linda
May 19, 2009 Linda rated it really liked it
A great sience fiction novel for youth and adults who still think like kids. That's me.
  • A Boy and His Bot
  • The Sword of the Spirits (The Sword of the Spirits, #3)
  • Stowaway to the Mushroom Planet (Mushroom Planet, #2)
  • Star Trek 10
  • The Continuing Mission
  • The Marvelous Inventions of Alvin Fernald
  • Miss Pickerell Goes to Mars
  • The Captain's Table Omnibus
  • Day of Honor (Star Trek Voyager)
  • Barbary
  • Star Trek Voyager Companion
  • Forever Kate
  • The Star Trek Chronology: A History of the Future
  • Sunfall
  • Wrath of the Prophets (Star Trek: Deep Space Nine, #20)
  • The Forgotten Door
19739
Lester del Rey was an American science fiction author and editor. Del Rey is especially famous for his juvenile novels such as those which are part of the Winston Science Fiction series, and for Del Rey Books, the fantasy and science fiction branch of Ballantine Books edited by Lester del Rey and his fourth wife Judy-Lynn del Rey.

aka Philip St. John
aka Eric van Lihn
aka Erik van Lhin
aka Kenneth Wri
More about Lester del Rey...