Fodor's Paris 2009

Fodor's Paris 2009

3.77 of 5 stars 3.77  ·  rating details  ·  77 ratings  ·  16 reviews
Fodor’s. For Choice Travel Experiences.

Fodor’s helps you unleash the possibilities of travel by providing the insightful tools you need to experience the trips you want. While you’re at the helm, Fodor’s offers the assurance of our expertise, the guarantee of selectivity, and the choice details that truly define a destination. It’s like having a friend in Paris!

•Updated an...more
Published August 28th 2007 by Fodor's (first published December 12th 1985)

switterbug (Betsey)
Dec 11, 2012 switterbug (Betsey) rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone going to Paris
Note that I have yet to go to Paris; I am going in the spring of 2013. If you would like to measure this book's worth based on a review from someone who has been before, then skip this one. However, I think there is something valid to be said for a Paris newbie trying to navigate unknown territory through a guidebook.

I originally thought that first order of business was finding a hotel. However, I realized later, after learning more about Paris, that I wanted location to be my primary factor, as...more
Sharon
The Fodor's Paris 2013 book is the latest guide I've read in preparation for a trip next year. What sets this book apart from the others is the tips and insights from TripAdvisor website users, in addition to the information provided by the travel writers.

The book is well-written, and the photographs and maps are great. However, I find myself with the same complaint about this book that I've had with a couple of others: the book is not arranged by arrondissement (district) -- although the travel...more
Steven Peterson
It's been a long time since I was in Paris. But I like picking up guides from time to time to renew my acquaintance with the "City of Lights."

This book is another fine addition to Fodor's library. The book provides a basic background to the city; it has brief discussions of the various parts of the city (e.g., Ile de la Cite and Ile St-Louis, most enchanting; The Champs-Elysees; The Qaurtier Latin; and so on).

After a discussion of the areas within the city, we have chapters on nightlife, perfor...more
Susan
This turned out to be my favorite guide book for Paris. It was the only one I carried with me every day. It offered a wide range of information, maps for all areas of the city, and sufficient write ups of restaurants and hotels to allow for reasonably well informed decision making. We chose our hotel from this book (Henri IV Rive Gauche) and we were very happy there. The descriptions were accurate and I like that it gave both pros and cons.
jessica
Jan 10, 2008 jessica rated it 2 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: parents visiting in paris, but get them another map
no offense "62capecodmom," but the fact that you bought a green day book that has french in it and reminds you of paris when you open it doesn't really do much for me.

the map in this book is TERRIBLE. i live in paris and it doesn't make sense, and my parents came to visit and lost their faith in maps as well because of it.

Good for people who are clueless about coming to Paris, but mostly not that useful.
Tara Choate
It's hard to rate this kind of book simply because I haevn't been to Paris... I'm just researching. However, they always seem to me to be a sort of checklist/review tool for someone who wants to "see everything." For my purposes (planning) I only found one page really useful. Still, Fodor's is a classic for a reason. Good prose, good pics, good tips.
Sylvia Ttl
This book came really handy during our Paris trip. Thanks to its colourful illustrations, Insightful comments, useful tips and updated information. We actually managed to beat all the long queues and enter the Louvre ahead of many tour groups.
Cian O hAnnrachainn
You can't just go to Paris and spend a boatload of cash and not be prepared to wring every drop of value from the investment.

All I need now are a cupla focal de francais & I'm good to go.
Marion
I've read this pretty much cover-to-cover and I have to say I'm very impressed. This guide has been very helpful for my planning and will certainly be even more helpful during my trip.
{eri}
First time I ever read a guidebook all the way through! Just what the do ordered :] very informative and I loved all the pictures. I learned about lots of cool spots
Bonnie
I got better information from my DK Eyewitness Travel France 2012 than I did from this book. Also, I wish there had been more pictures.
Shauna
Not often I read a guidebook cover to cover but this was a goodun. Very useful and the zipout map in the back was great too.
Tamara
You know, it's a travel book. Actually, a travel ebook, but you know.
Bill Whalen
Can't put it down. I'm leaving Tuesday!
Cloay
Mar 30, 2011 Cloay marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: travel
- available in SG NLB 914.436 (Sengkang)
Bridget
Very helpful travel book!
Rachel
Rachel is currently reading it
Jul 10, 2014
Hels
Hels added it
Jun 02, 2014
cianmj
cianmj added it
Apr 19, 2014
Sami Sayed
Sami Sayed marked it as to-read
Apr 15, 2014
Milind Panandikar
Milind Panandikar marked it as to-read
Apr 13, 2014
Kmg
Kmg added it
Mar 26, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
Fodor's Arizona and the Grand Canyon 2008 (Fodor's Gold Guides) Fodor's Vienna to Salzburg Fodor's Virginia and Maryland (Fodor's Virginia & Maryland) Fodor's Israel (Full-Color Gold Guides) Fodor's Vancouver & Victoria: with Whistler, Vancouver Island & the Okanagan Valley