Start by marking “1945” as Want to Read:
1945

1945

1945 takes as its departure point from actual history the idea that the US did not fight against Germany after Pearl Harbour. The authors have created a whole new course of history, starting in 1945 with Nazi Germany controlling all Europe except Britain. The hero must foil a Nazi plan.
Mass Market Paperback, 382 pages
Published September 1st 1996 by Baen (first published August 1st 1995)

To ask other readers questions about 1945, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about 1945

Loren
Mar 04, 2011 Loren rated it did not like it
OK, its an interesting story. But once your hooked it ends with a "To be continued". As it was written in 95, Id say its safe to wager it will not be continued ! Perhaps the publisher will think twice before publishing work from a politician again ! If he runs HE WILL NOT HAVE MY VOTE! Cool it, I'm very much a CONSERVITAVE. Alternative history ? How about four more years of the hope and change jerk now because Newt lied about a book ? I honestly feel riped off.
Dale (Aus)
Jun 10, 2016 Dale (Aus) rated it it was amazing
Thoroughly enjoyed this book. After I got past my version of World war 2 and allowed myself to enter this alternate world I found the story compelling, the characters engaging and it really built into a suspense story. It begs for a sequel but having been written in 1995 I don't think its going to happen. I would love to see where this story goes.
Melissa
Apr 13, 2008 Melissa rated it liked it
I would rate the book higher, but it is the first book in an intended series and Newt has pretty much admitted that the sequels will never be written.

An alternative history. What if the US had never entered the conflict against Germany. The year is 1945. The US were the vistors in the Pacific. The Germans defeated the European allies. Now what?
Larry Brasington
Nov 24, 2011 Larry Brasington rated it it was amazing
I found the book very compelling. I could not put it down. As a life long student of history the characters were like meeting old friends. I recommend this to anyone who likes history and a good yarn.
Mike
Mar 05, 2014 Mike rated it liked it
I read this book at a time in my life when I was devouring everything WWII (roughly late middle-school to early high school). I similarly devoured 1945 and immensely enjoyed it. What if Germany and the U.S. never ended up going to war after Pearl Harbor? I thought the conclusions Newt and Forstchen drew were actually pretty reasonable: Germany gets its act together and pacifies most of the Western Soviet Union, America cleans Japan's clock and then pushes on to prop up the Chinese Nationalists, ...more
Adam
Dec 04, 2010 Adam rated it really liked it
Sobering account of what could have been if Nazi Germany were to continue its ascent through 1945. While entirely fiction, is is not too far fetched. The German sout team arrives to South Carolina by boat; walks right up the shore and gets in a truck for Tenessee. All the while Police and civilians thinking all the strange activity is not really a big deal. The novel causes me to re-examine if the US is focused on the right things when it comes to national security.

Just one disclosusre: I don't
Kerry Trombley
Jun 23, 2016 Kerry Trombley rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2013
Really good take on a historical what if...kind of disappointed they didn't finish the series.

But there was one part of the book which literally made me laugh out loud, when the Germans were looking at their invasion plans and said "but don't all Americans own guns? Won't that be a problem?", and the other German goes, "no! Get this, they outlawed firearms in oak ridge, we should be able to walk right in because they can't defend themselves!" Hilarious! What a shameless pro-gun plug...you think
Brian
Apr 20, 2011 Brian rated it did not like it
Shelves: science-fiction
The worst book ever written....really. Just horrible. This is to literature what one of those flus that leave you with both explosive diarrehea and vomiting are to a "good time". Forstchen's "lost Regiment" is a well written, fun read. This is so bad, that even though I borrowed this book for free, I demanded my money back when I returned it.
Bill
Jan 15, 2013 Bill rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Hitler does not declare war on the United States and by 1945 rules Europe except for Great Britain.

A very good alternative history that desperately needs a sequel that will likely never materialize.
Tome Addiction
Apr 15, 2015 Tome Addiction rated it it was ok
I found the book to be lacking in substance and prose. I read this book while resting with a cold and I think it took me all of a couple hours to speed read the entire book and still understand the plot.

For alternate history I would recommend skipping this one.
Mike (the Paladin)
I really enjoyed this book. I wish they had chosen to continue the story. I plan to read the newer WWII novels out.
Henry
Mar 27, 2012 Henry rated it liked it
I gave this book 3 stars but BE WARNED.

There is no sequel to this, the story will leave you hanging so Caveat lector.
Dudley
Jan 29, 2012 Dudley rated it really liked it
An unexpectedly good book from Newt. Hopefully he'll end his campaign soon so he can get to work on the sequel!
Geoffrey Hazelton
Jan 23, 2016 Geoffrey Hazelton rated it liked it
A page turner but a light read. A nice break for the serious history buffs. It ponders what would have happened if Hitler had won World War II and if the US had stayed out of the war in Europe.
Souradeep Majumder
Souradeep Majumder rated it liked it
Mar 03, 2014
Vincent S
Vincent S rated it it was ok
Mar 10, 2008
Aaron Giddings
Aaron Giddings rated it it was ok
Jul 10, 2012
Chris
Chris rated it really liked it
Sep 17, 2012
Elizabeth
Elizabeth rated it liked it
Jul 15, 2016
Bartholomew
Bartholomew rated it liked it
May 24, 2012
Scott Forbes
Scott Forbes rated it liked it
Sep 03, 2016
Chris
Chris rated it really liked it
Nov 19, 2014
Louis
Louis rated it liked it
Jan 22, 2011
Owoodeye
Owoodeye rated it liked it
Jan 30, 2014
John Nolan
John Nolan rated it really liked it
Aug 21, 2015
Daniel
Daniel rated it liked it
May 17, 2012
Ron
Ron rated it it was ok
Jan 25, 2009
Dan Pfleging
Dan Pfleging rated it really liked it
May 27, 2016
Matthew
Matthew rated it it was ok
Jun 15, 2012
Robert
Robert rated it it was ok
Jan 02, 2011
  • Fox at the Front (Fox on the Rhine, #2)
  • 1945
  • Rising Sun Victorious: An Alternate History of the Pacific War
  • The Proteus Operation
  • Hitler Victorious: Eleven Stories of the German Victory in World War II
  • Worlds that Weren't
  • The Children's War: A Novel
  • If The Allies Had Fallen: Sixty Alternate Scenarios Of World War II
  • Victory
  • A Band of Brothers (Lost Regiment #7)
  • Marching Through Georgia (Draka, #1)
Newt Gingrich is well-known as the architect of the “Contract with America” that led the Republican Party to victory in 1994 by capturing the majority in the U.S. House of Representatives for the first time in forty years. After he was elected Speaker, he disrupted the status quo by moving power out of Washington and back to the American people. Under his leadership, Congress passed welfare ...more
More about Newt Gingrich...