Start by marking “Call Me Crazy” as Want to Read:
Call Me Crazy

Call Me Crazy

3.32 of 5 stars 3.32  ·  rating details  ·  346 ratings  ·  47 reviews
"I believe that many people may think I went insane. I do not believe I am insane. I believe I went through a period of my life that was insane and it lasted thirty-one years," writes Anne Heche in "Call Me Crazy. Yet what is truly surprising is that the most publicized event of her personal life -- her romance with Ellen DeGeneres -- is only one development in a fascinati ...more
Audio, Abridged, 6 pages
Published September 4th 2001 by Simon & Schuster Audio (first published 2001)

To ask other readers questions about Call Me Crazy, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Call Me Crazy

Rachel
I am a sucker for memoirs by actresses with troubled pasts. This book did not disappoint. It is written like a novel and is very addictive. Her life is stranger than fiction- a dad who lived a double life as a super Christian with his family and as a gay man in NYC who eventually died of AIDs, a brother who killed himself, relationships with Lindsey Buckingham, Steve Martin, AND ELLEN, and also her infamous mental breakdown when she wandered into a stranger's house and asked to take a shower be ...more
Lola
I rarely read about actors/famous people but "Call Me Crazy" looked interesting.
The story is about Heche's childhood of abuse by her father, which was ignored
by her mother. In her adult life she continued to suffer from the effects of that childhood. At one point she was seriously crazy. She had a relationship with Ellen DeGeneres, as most people know, but that also did not last due to
the demons she had living in her head, as well as the public's refusal to accept gay relationships & DeGener
Jessica
I don't know why i am even admitting that i read this book... it wasn't very good at all!
Wendy
One star for writing/reality, five stars for camp value, so there you go: three.
Petra
Crazy? Maybe, maybe not. Good writer? Meh. I thought she kind of jumped through her life once she got to adulthood. It was interesting enough that I found myself not wanting to put it down but thought she could have explained things more. Basically, she laid out the facts of her life but didn't often tell WHY she made the decisions she did or what she felt at the time or thinks about it now, looking back. Like Ellen, for instance. She saw her and was immediately attracted to her. Anne says she h ...more
I went into reading this book not really liking Anne Heche, and I came out of it not really liking her. I certainly pity her, and I hope this memoir can help other victims of abuse, but her writing style varies from good to annoying, and I am very curious, for example, how she can think she healed some girl's sprained ankle with her touch and yet still have come to the "sane" realization that she is not the Second Coming. I will no longer call her crazy when she admits that maybe it wasn't her h ...more
Kim Dempsey
I am shocked I let myself finish this book on tape. I started this book liking Anne Heche, and ended this book still liking her but not liking this book at all. I feel horrible for what she went through as a child, horrible, I will stress that, but I think she is mentally insane and in no capacity to be writing a book and telling her family dirty laundry to the world. I felt sick to my stomach listening to her, I can't imagine how her siblings must have felt reading this stuff aired to the world ...more
J
I never want to be the kind of person that reads someone else's memoir and judges them based upon it. Anne did a fantastic job of telling her story in a way that was heartfelt; serious but still cracking jokes about the abuse she experienced growing up. This read more like a lengthy letter to long-lost friend than a book, and the disconnect between her talking about her childhood and her attempts to cope with those experiences once she reached adulthood didn't jive as well for me as say, Linda L ...more
Sandy
Sep 20, 2008 Sandy rated it 2 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: no one really
Recommended to Sandy by: no one.
This was one of those books I actually listened to on audio. It was okay. Interesting, and yes, I would call her crazy. :)
But it was good enough to keep my attention and make me think.... hmmm... maybe I don't want to be rich and famous after all.
LOL!! Definitely, not a GREAT book, but certainly not one of the worst I've ever read / (heard). If I could I think I would give it 2-1/2 stars. Two is a little low, but I just couldn't give it 3 full stars.
Leah
After reading this book I realized reasons why Anne may be a little crazy. I really do like her. I'm not judging her...but society seems to judge these people w/o considering they are actual human beings and have reasons for who they are. To me Anne is a super strong girl who I have to applaud for even writing this book. It was really a crazy life this girl had. God love her,and you musn't judge til you've had a shot at being in her shoes.
Esse
Anyone who has been abused can really relate and gain from this book. Its inspiring to know that there is light at the end of a dark tunnel. Anne tells the story in a way that is not to disturbing but still has you understand what she went through.
I like how she talks about what really happens in life. No sugar, no cream just the hard facts of life that is often to dark to want to understand. Thanks for keeping it real Anne.
Cathyannebaron Baron
I am and was, before her meltdown, a fan of Anne Heche. Reading about the horrific things she went through as a child, it doesn't surprise me she went crazy. In her memoir, she revisits her entire life story and describes exactly what happened leading up to her incident in Fresno that everyone heard about on the news.... I read this book in 4 hours...couldn't put it down...
Erinn
Ehhh, this book was okay, I kinda felt like Anne was writing the book as a way to cash in for the fact that people know who she is because she dated Ellen... don't get me wrong, she seems totally crazy, but I don't think she would have ever written a book about her mental status if she hadn't been in the light with Ellen, because honestly, I don't think it would have sold.
Vanessa Fox
She is not the greatest writer and she has that frustrating tendency (that many of these types of books do) to dwell on the feelings around some events and simply recount others with no explanation, when those latter events are rather pivotal. But her journey of realizing how she had become who she was was compelling.
Mandy
This is the most surprising good read that I have found in a while. I just picked it up yesterday from the book trade shelf at work and tore through the first half. It's such a fascinating look into the life of an abused child looking back from an adult perspective. It slowed down a bit for me in the second half.
Amkd69
Although I nearly gave up on this after a few chapters I am glad I didn't. I thought it would be another misery memoir but it's not.She is surprisingly honest & frank especially about her breakdown & her relationship with Ellen De Generes which I thought she might gloss over.
Trish
This book is far and away one of the strangest things I have ever read. I don't know how true it could possibly be without several of the parties in it being institutionalized, but worth reading if you have a fairly strong constitution.
Nyree
started out interesting then seemed like she just wanted to finish writing the darn thing. made it feel rushed and not quite developed as she moved from each story etc and so forth, the flow just wasn't there for the 2nd half.
Marnie
This is a comically written memoir of actress Anne Heche's painful and often insane life that she wrote to free herself of the shame she had felt for 31 years from the abuse she suffered as a child.
Christine Noel
another one i bought just because it was really cheap, but it ended up being one of the best memoirs i've ever read. tragic, heart-wrenching and affecting without being sentimental.
Adrienne
I love this book. It helps you to understand that even though someone appears normal on the outside, you really don't know what crap they have been through on the inside.
Heather
Anyone here notice I love celebrity autobiographies? I think my feeling about this book was that the truth of it was dubious. But whatever. Enjoyable fluff.
Emmy Griffith
This wouldn't have been a book I would have picked up myself, but my mom had it & loved it...it was one of the best memoirs I've ever read.
Bethany Kemp
Interesting enough because of who she is and who she's known, terribly tragic but uplifting. Not so very well written but a quick read.
Dorre
Four stars only for the fact that I thought Heche was absolutely nuts after reading this. Very entertaining.
Heather Williams
I appreciate Anne's ability to discuss in blunt detail her tragic and crazy life. WOW
Radha
this was a very readable book. I found it hard to put down. Interesting story
Mrs. T
Yes, call her crazy, and her mother and her father too. What a horror.
Ryan
Interesting but was hoping for more with regards to her breakdown.
Joy king
weird...but I like Men in Trees...b/c Jack and Cash are HOT!!!!!!
  • Last Day of My Life
  • Gordon Ramsay: The Biography
  • Joan Crawford
  • Fat of the Land: Adventures of a 21st Century Forager
  • I Only Roast the Ones I Love: Busting Balls Without Burning Bridges
  • All About All About Eve: The Complete Behind-the-Scenes Story of the Bitchiest Film Ever Made!
  • Papa John
  • Jack Kerouac: Angel-Headed Hipster
  • America the Edible: A Hungry History, From Sea to Dining Sea
  • More Dykes to Watch Out For (DtWOF, #2)
  • Marcus of Umbria: What an Italian Dog Taught an American Girl about Love
  • The Player
Anne Celeste Heche is an American actress, director, and screenwriter. She started her career at age 18 on the daytime soap opera Another World, for which she received a Daytime Emmy Award in 1991. Heche gradually obtained supporting roles in feature films such as I Know What You Did Last Summer and Volcano (both 1997). Her first leading role was in Six Days Seven Nights (1998)—which has remained ...more
More about Anne Celeste Heche...
Call Me Crazy The Girl Who Loved Tom Gordon Supreme Courtship Vanish (Rizzoli & Isles, #5) Body Double (Rizzoli & Isles, #4)