Start by marking “Call Me Crazy” as Want to Read:
Call Me Crazy

Call Me Crazy

"I believe that many people may think I went insane. I do not believe I am insane. I believe I went through a period of my life that was insane and it lasted thirty-one years," writes Anne Heche in "Call Me Crazy. Yet what is truly surprising is that the most publicized event of her personal life -- her romance with Ellen DeGeneres -- is only one development in a fascinati ...more
Audio, Abridged, 6 pages
Published September 4th 2001 by Simon & Schuster Audio (first published September 1st 2001)

To ask other readers questions about Call Me Crazy, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Call Me Crazy

Susan Johnson
Jul 12, 2015 Susan Johnson rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I have no idea who in our in person book club liked and then recommended this. It is really really bad.
Rachel
Sep 10, 2009 Rachel rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I am a sucker for memoirs by actresses with troubled pasts. This book did not disappoint. It is written like a novel and is very addictive. Her life is stranger than fiction- a dad who lived a double life as a super Christian with his family and as a gay man in NYC who eventually died of AIDs, a brother who killed himself, relationships with Lindsey Buckingham, Steve Martin, AND ELLEN, and also her infamous mental breakdown when she wandered into a stranger's house and asked to take a shower be ...more
Ashley
This book kinda got to me...

I was a little sick her repeating herself with "an abused child" this "abused child" that. And abused child does this or that, says this or acts like that...
I could not get past that..
But the story was a good memoir on her life... She is a funny, "Crazy", insightful woman who has struggled, and survived so much I have to give her some credit...
But I was a little unhappy with how short it was (240+ pages) and only like 6 pages to talk about her mental breakdown....
I
Alice Rachel
May 19, 2016 Alice Rachel rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Really interesting. So many issues raised in this book.
Sarah Kester
I found this book at the library and read it on an impulse, not having much of an opinion on Anne Heche either way. The only thing I knew about her was she dated Steve Martin and Ellen Degeneres, went crazy and thought she was someone named Celestia and everybody pretty much hates her.

The book deals mostly with her relationship with her father who she claims molested her and who ended up dying of AIDS. It's not very well-written and you're left with the feeling that Anne still has quite a few
Jessica
Jan 28, 2008 Jessica rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I don't know why i am even admitting that i read this book... it wasn't very good at all!
Wendy
Oct 10, 2007 Wendy rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
One star for writing/reality, five stars for camp value, so there you go: three.
Sphinx Feathers
Nov 17, 2016 Sphinx Feathers rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: psychology, mystery, women
Weird, weird, weird, but insightful as heck. Sometimes what she wrote could have come from a professional therapist and sometimes it just seems like the musings of someone just talking to get their thoughts out. It was definitely something I enjoyed but it was out there.
Lisa Gallagher
Very interesting story, not least of which for the salacious celebrity value of it. Anne Heche had been in a very public same-sex relationship and then had a notorious meltdown as the relationship came to an end in which she wound up at a stranger's home in Fresno, California, half-naked, high and asking to take a shower before her spaceship took her to a higher dimension. Nobody, then, knew the years of sexual abuse and shame that she had endured as a child. Heche lays it out very clearly in he ...more
Pam Sweigert
Nov 10, 2015 Pam Sweigert rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Well before I read this memoir I basically thought wow that woman in looney tunes! After reading about all that she endured throughout her first three decades, I think it's amazing she didn't suffer a mental break sooner! This in an interesting look into what childhood abuse can do to you throughout your life, into your adult years, your relationships, your career choices and most importantly your self worth. Anne is excruciatingly honest about her experiences, her therapy choices (including a c ...more
Petra
Oct 25, 2010 Petra rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: bios
Crazy? Maybe, maybe not. Good writer? Meh. I thought she kind of jumped through her life once she got to adulthood. It was interesting enough that I found myself not wanting to put it down but thought she could have explained things more. Basically, she laid out the facts of her life but didn't often tell WHY she made the decisions she did or what she felt at the time or thinks about it now, looking back. Like Ellen, for instance. She saw her and was immediately attracted to her. Anne says she h ...more
Feb 26, 2010 Laura rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I went into reading this book not really liking Anne Heche, and I came out of it not really liking her. I certainly pity her, and I hope this memoir can help other victims of abuse, but her writing style varies from good to annoying, and I am very curious, for example, how she can think she healed some girl's sprained ankle with her touch and yet still have come to the "sane" realization that she is not the Second Coming. I will no longer call her crazy when she admits that maybe it wasn't her h ...more
Blow Pop
Content warnings: abuse, childhood abuse, molestation, rape, childhood sexual assault, using religion to perpetuate abuse

This book is completely NOT what I was expecting. I was initially interested and drawn into this book by the blurb on the back which is part of the book. Because it looked interesting. I had NO IDEA what I was getting myself into.

Even though I was triggered by the mentions of the abuse especially in context of relationships it wasn't bad enough that I had to stop reading it.
Kim Dempsey
Oct 16, 2014 Kim Dempsey rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I am shocked I let myself finish this book on tape. I started this book liking Anne Heche, and ended this book still liking her but not liking this book at all. I feel horrible for what she went through as a child, horrible, I will stress that, but I think she is mentally insane and in no capacity to be writing a book and telling her family dirty laundry to the world. I felt sick to my stomach listening to her, I can't imagine how her siblings must have felt reading this stuff aired to the world ...more
Lola
Oct 23, 2014 Lola rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I rarely read about actors/famous people but "Call Me Crazy" looked interesting.
The story is about Heche's childhood of abuse by her father, which was ignored
by her mother. In her adult life she continued to suffer from the effects of that childhood. At one point she was seriously crazy. She had a relationship with Ellen DeGeneres, as most people know, but that also did not last due to
the demons she had living in her head, as well as the public's refusal to accept gay relationships & DeGener
Julene
Oct 15, 2012 Julene rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I never want to be the kind of person that reads someone else's memoir and judges them based upon it. Anne did a fantastic job of telling her story in a way that was heartfelt; serious but still cracking jokes about the abuse she experienced growing up. This read more like a lengthy letter to long-lost friend than a book, and the disconnect between her talking about her childhood and her attempts to cope with those experiences once she reached adulthood didn't jive as well for me as say, Linda L ...more
Marcy
Oct 15, 2014 Marcy rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Interesting read. I was a little young to be terribly into celebrity culture when this book came out, and when these events were going on in her life, but I actually do remember a few of these things being in the news. It was interesting to revisit some of it with a more mature eye and better understanding of the significance of events.

Bits I liked:

Sometimes life is so hard and we judge people rather than realizing that it's an accomplishment to simply get up in the morning. So … thumbs up! You
Esse
Feb 16, 2012 Esse rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Anyone who has been abused can really relate and gain from this book. Its inspiring to know that there is light at the end of a dark tunnel. Anne tells the story in a way that is not to disturbing but still has you understand what she went through.
I like how she talks about what really happens in life. No sugar, no cream just the hard facts of life that is often to dark to want to understand. Thanks for keeping it real Anne.
Sandy
Sep 20, 2008 Sandy rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: no one really
Recommended to Sandy by: no one.
This was one of those books I actually listened to on audio. It was okay. Interesting, and yes, I would call her crazy. :)
But it was good enough to keep my attention and make me think.... hmmm... maybe I don't want to be rich and famous after all.
LOL!! Definitely, not a GREAT book, but certainly not one of the worst I've ever read / (heard). If I could I think I would give it 2-1/2 stars. Two is a little low, but I just couldn't give it 3 full stars.
Leah Meyer
Sep 12, 2007 Leah Meyer rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
After reading this book I realized reasons why Anne may be a little crazy. I really do like her. I'm not judging her...but society seems to judge these people w/o considering they are actual human beings and have reasons for who they are. To me Anne is a super strong girl who I have to applaud for even writing this book. It was really a crazy life this girl had. God love her,and you musn't judge til you've had a shot at being in her shoes.
Vanessa Fox
Jan 13, 2012 Vanessa Fox rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
She is not the greatest writer and she has that frustrating tendency (that many of these types of books do) to dwell on the feelings around some events and simply recount others with no explanation, when those latter events are rather pivotal. But her journey of realizing how she had become who she was was compelling.
Mandy
Feb 21, 2008 Mandy rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: memoirs
This is the most surprising good read that I have found in a while. I just picked it up yesterday from the book trade shelf at work and tore through the first half. It's such a fascinating look into the life of an abused child looking back from an adult perspective. It slowed down a bit for me in the second half.
Cathyannebaron Baron
I am and was, before her meltdown, a fan of Anne Heche. Reading about the horrific things she went through as a child, it doesn't surprise me she went crazy. In her memoir, she revisits her entire life story and describes exactly what happened leading up to her incident in Fresno that everyone heard about on the news.... I read this book in 4 hours...couldn't put it down...
Erinn
Sep 12, 2007 Erinn rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Ehhh, this book was okay, I kinda felt like Anne was writing the book as a way to cash in for the fact that people know who she is because she dated Ellen... don't get me wrong, she seems totally crazy, but I don't think she would have ever written a book about her mental status if she hadn't been in the light with Ellen, because honestly, I don't think it would have sold.
Amanda Hains
Apr 06, 2016 Amanda Hains rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: memoirs
I read this book because, let's face it, we've all heard about Anne Heche in the media, but I wanted to hear her story in her own words. I was very pleasantly surprised by this book: it is a blunt, painfully honest, darkly funny memoir about a deeply spiritual albeit somewhat misguided young woman trying to find her identity.
Sam
Jan 22, 2016 Sam rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I wasn't expecting much but this is one of the best autobiographies I've read. I'd highly recommend it. The media gives her a hard time but after reading about her childhood I'd say the girl has the right to be nuts sometimes.
Nyree
Jan 25, 2012 Nyree rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
started out interesting then seemed like she just wanted to finish writing the darn thing. made it feel rushed and not quite developed as she moved from each story etc and so forth, the flow just wasn't there for the 2nd half.
Amkd69
Jan 13, 2011 Amkd69 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Although I nearly gave up on this after a few chapters I am glad I didn't. I thought it would be another misery memoir but it's not.She is surprisingly honest & frank especially about her breakdown & her relationship with Ellen De Generes which I thought she might gloss over.
Trish
Jul 02, 2007 Trish rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book is far and away one of the strangest things I have ever read. I don't know how true it could possibly be without several of the parties in it being institutionalized, but worth reading if you have a fairly strong constitution.
Christine Noel
Nov 09, 2009 Christine Noel rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
another one i bought just because it was really cheap, but it ended up being one of the best memoirs i've ever read. tragic, heart-wrenching and affecting without being sentimental.
  • What Happened, Miss Simone?: A Biography
  • Tim Burton's Corpse Bride: An Invitation to the Wedding
  • Holding Breath: A Memoir of AIDS' Wildfire Days
  • Becoming Anna
  • The Art of Sin City
  • BLOW: How a Small-Town Boy Made $100 Million with the Medellin Cocaine Cartel And Lost It All
  • 1775: A Good Year for Revolution
  • Mustaine: A Heavy Metal Memoir
Anne Celeste Heche is an American actress, director, and screenwriter. She started her career at age 18 on the daytime soap opera Another World, for which she received a Daytime Emmy Award in 1991. Heche gradually obtained supporting roles in feature films such as I Know What You Did Last Summer and Volcano (both 1997). Her first leading role was in Six Days Seven Nights (1998)—which has remained ...more
More about Anne Heche...