Start by marking “One Thousand & One Ways to Market Your Books” as Want to Read:
Blank 133x176
One Thousand & One Way...
John Kremer

One Thousand & One Ways to Market Your Books

I am a one-book publisher. About two years ago, when I first began to think about writing and publishing, I read this book. I should tell you that I am extremely thrifty and I only buy books that I will refer to again and again. I'll even admit that I first read the library's copy of this book. However, after I read 1001 Ways to Market Your Books, I immediately placed an o ...more
Published September 1st 1990 by Open Horizons (first published January 1st 1986)

To ask other readers questions about One Thousand & One Ways to Market Your Books, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about One Thousand & One Ways to Market Your Books

Danusha Goska
May 26, 2013 Danusha Goska rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
This book really lost me when it told me that if I win a Nobel Prize that will increase my sales. It also didn't help that the book told me that if I were reviewed in the New York Times, that would increase sales, too. It also reminded me to spell and punctuate properly, and to carry business cards. It won't shock anyone to learn that I knew all this already.

Another problem I had with the book. The title is misleading. It really ought to specify that it offers 1001 ways to market relatively eas
Valentinno Valentinno
John Kremer, 1001 Ways to market your Books is ideal for author’s looking for marketing tips that actually work. It’s a great tool if you want to learn the marketing aspect of the business, and it also helps author’s take a more active role in promoting their work. In this 700 page marketing Bible, Kremer covers a great deal of useful information from online sales, how to get celebrity endorsements, off beat advertising, selling your books overseas, how to make the bestsellers list, marketing ti ...more
Marti Melville
Jun 07, 2010 Marti Melville rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Trepidation was the term I'd use to describe my attitude when I glanced at this 700 page "how to" book. I had just finished writing another novel and was not prepared to launch into a book of this size. However, the name intrigued me. I needed to know exactly what each 1001 ways entailed in order to be successful as an author.

Not long after opening the cover, I found myself drawn into the meat of this author's experiences and realized that this book contained all that was needed to move forward
Judy Seaberry
Awesome information
James Fant
Dec 19, 2012 James Fant rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
What Did I Get Out of “1001 Ways to Market Your Books” by John Kremer? Everything—For Now.

I know that’s a long title for a review. But it’s a really long book, filled to the brim with tools and information for book marketing. John Kremer pooled his extensive research and experience into a voluminous guide that he encourages readers to highlight, note, and litter with Post-Its.

Each chapter is broken down into sections filled with loads of material. Each header’s type is boldface which makes it e
Gudjon Bergmann
Sep 13, 2016 Gudjon Bergmann rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I haven't used all 1001 ways, but enough of the ideas have worked for me to give this book a thumbs up.
Apr 15, 2008 Tami rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
There are hundreds of books on book marketing and promotion but 1001 Ways to Market Your Books is the original. This book spans just over 700 pages. It is filled with information about the realities of the publishing world (including shockingly honest facts how the New York Bestseller's list is crafted) helpful hints, and very specific ways to increase book sales.

Much of the material in this book is written specifically for publishers. However, usually at the end of sections, the author will in
Susan Sylvia
This book is ESSENTIAL for anyone who wants to sell books. Listen, authors, marketing is NOT a dirty word. And lucky for you, this book pretty much takes you by the hand and gives you the tools to make it seem doable. It's a huge book and you may think it a daunting task to try to do 1001 things, but John Kremer puts a lot of great ideas out there for you in smart, digestible chunks. Even if you don't sit down and read it cover-to-cover, buy it, skim it, pick out a few things to do immediately a ...more
May 08, 2016 Shaya rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I'll give this book 3 stars because it was the greatest comedy book I've read in a while. I was seriously crying with laughter at suggestions like "Rent a blimp." "Buy an RV and stick your face and book cover on the side of it." "More personally address your readers with phrases such as 'Dear Plant Lover.'"

I'm sure there are some actual helpful suggestions in here (that are of average quality, hence an average 3 stars), but a lot of this book seems ridiculous and outdated. You could tell the aut
Mar 03, 2013 Jay rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It's hard to add anything consequential to all the other reviews here, but I did have one suggestion for any later editions of this book: Divide the material into three sections. One section strictly for authors trying to market their book on their own. Another for publishers, and a third section with material pertinent to both groups. I found myself skimming through many pages that were targeted more to the publishers group, searching for "authors-only" material that could benefit me.

Overall it
Nov 29, 2012 Keith rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Wow! Just a ton of information here. This is a big book, and it serves more as a reference for me. I can't imagine reading it cover-to-cover - but it would be impossible NOT to find very useful ideas within. If you're serious about marketing your book(s) you should probably have this on your desk, dog eared and highlighted. Important to note that this is for authors AND publishers, so all info might not be relevant to every reader. But not to worry. There's more than you need.
Michael Newton
Nov 21, 2010 Michael Newton rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book has it all. And that's both good and bad. Seven hundred pages of information on how to market books, but some of the information is geared toward authors, some to publishers, and some to both.

I would have given this book five stars if not for the fact that so much of it is wasted on me as an author. Also, this book would have benefited from an index. It's still a great book and worth reading at least once if you are in the book business as an author or a publisher.
Oct 04, 2011 Brian rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Lots of KILLER information in this book on how to market your books. Some of it is dated, at this point, but it is still useful! It was recommended to me by Essence Bestselling Author Tia McCollors and I have not parted with it since. It's a little pricey at $28, and there's no e-book, but like The Writer's Market, it's worth the investment.
Michael Slavin
Nov 08, 2014 Michael Slavin rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: writing
This is a big book and covers almost anything you can do to market your book. It is a little overwhelming. This book made me slow down and realize I could not to everything and needed to select the areas that would give me the biggest bank for my buck (and time). every writer should have this book as a reference.
David Donaghe
Mar 22, 2011 David Donaghe rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I found this book to be an excellent source of information weather you are a publisher, an author or a self published author and are trying to market your books on your own. I recommend it to anyone who has wrote a book and is trying to market it.

David H. Donaghe
Author of Monroe's Paranormal Investigations
and The Tale Spinner.
Anna Esq.
Oct 31, 2012 Anna Esq. rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Enormously helpful, comprehensive book. As an independent press, some of the tactics the big boys use to market their books were shockingly expensive (and surprising). I will never walk into a big box store and buy a book again, I can say that much after reading this. Even if you're an indie or self-pubbed author, there's something in this book for everyone.
Angela Samuels
Aug 26, 2011 Angela Samuels rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book is actually a reference guide and introduction to the book publishing world. I'm an author's assistant and I refer to this book a lot. As I read this book there is always something new that I didn't know.

John's Kremer has a website that is great supplement to this book,

Sep 29, 2010 Heather rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: paper
I was hoping for so much more from this book. My books are self-published novels, and that unfortunately means that a lot of the suggestions in "1001 Ways" simply didn't apply to me. I DID like the "get out there and do something every day" message and I've been doing that, but this is not the book for specific advice for self-published novelists. I'm still searching for that book.
A.L. Sowards
Mar 02, 2011 A.L. Sowards rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: writing
The edition I picked up was published in 1998, so it was a little old, almost comically so when it talked about technology. Still, it gave me a good education on what the publishing industry was like a decade and a half ago, and it sparked several pages' worth of ideas.
Ann Addley
Aug 18, 2014 Ann Addley rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: business
This is a very extensive list of promotional information for any writer or publisher. Though I suspect some of the info may be slightly out of date, the share size of the book means that it covers all the bases and provides a great checklist for your marketing plan
Feb 01, 2013 Cayr rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great reference book, although some of the links and websites are dated. Unfortunately, that happens since the Internet is constantly changing. There are lots of good tips here for marketing your books, hundreds of things you'd never think of on your own. Excellent resource for authors.
Pat Brannon
Dec 28, 2012 Pat Brannon rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I have recommended this book to other writers more times than I can count. It has a massive amount of PR information in it and so many of the tips can be used by other businesses. I bought my copy several years ago and I still haven't reached the end of the book yet.
Oct 14, 2007 Kenny rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: self-publishers
Shelves: publishing
Kremer is entirely on top of the self-publishing game, and a heavy-duty player on the Internet. I get his almost daily email newsletter ( and it's priceless. He's also available for personal questions and discussion. A top-notch guy and his book is a great help.
Tracy Krauss
Aug 11, 2012 Tracy Krauss rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I have on word for this book. FANTASTIC. It's a must read for anyone who is involved in writing, publishing or marketing or books.
Bill Frank
Sep 27, 2008 Bill Frank rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The best book on all aspects of book marketing I've read. I keep it handy on my bookshelf at all times.
Margo Bates
Apr 13, 2016 Margo Bates rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is THE guide for authors, and a must-read for anyone who writes a book. Tips, talks, links, the best information available. Constantly updated. Check out his on-line newsletter.
Jan 02, 2011 Rebecca marked it as don-t-want-to-read-anymore  ·  review of another edition
I don't need to be yelled at by a book that I started reading with the energy of my own motivation....
Unconventional creative marketing solutions that any author can use to gain visibility and boost book sales. A must read for new authors or publicist who want to make the best seller list.
Pete Grondin
Jan 09, 2015 Pete Grondin rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book must become my main marketing reference book. I'll be abstaining from fiction for a bit while I learn more about marketing.
Terri Weeding
Jul 22, 2010 Terri Weeding rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Huge. Comprehensive. Best-selling author testimonials. Use it as a reference. Don't,for heaven's sake, read it from cover to cover!
  • Dan Poynter's Self-Publishing Manual: How to Write, Print, and Sell Your Own Book
  • Guerrilla Marketing for Writers
  • Plug Your Book: Online Book Marketing for Authors, Book Publicity Through Social Networking
  • The Well-Fed Self-Publisher: How to Turn One Book Into a Full-Time Living
  • Aiming at Amazon: The New Business of Self Publishing, or How to Publish Your Books with Print on Demand and Online Book Marketing
  • The Complete Guide to Self-Publishing: Everything You Need to Know to Write, Publish, Promote and Sell Your Own Book
  • Author 101: Bestselling Book Publicity
  • Publishing E-Books For Dummies
  • Paradigms: The Business of Discovering the Future
  • Writing the Natural Way
  • Red Hot Internet Publicity: An Insider's Guide to Marketing Online
  • The Fourth Genre: Contemporary Writers Of/On Creative Nonfiction
  • Creating Short Fiction: The Classic Guide to Writing Short Fiction
  • First Draft in 30 Days: A Novel Writer's System for Building a Complete and Cohesive Manuscript
  • The Success System That Never Fails
  • Damn! Why Didnt I Write That?: How Ordinary People are Raking in $100,000.00 or More Writing Nonfiction Books & How You Can Too!
  • How to Write & Sell Simple Information for Fun and Profit: Your Guide to Writing and Publishing Books, E-Books, Articles, Special Reports, Audio Programs, DVDs, and Other How-To Content
  • The Key: How to Write Damn Good Fiction Using the Power of Myth
Book marketing expert John Kremer is the owner and publisher of Open Horizons as well as the webmaster at,, and

He is the author of 1001 Ways to Market Your Books; Book Marketing Magic: How to Sell Your Novel, Children's Book, Memoir, or Nonfiction Book Like a Pro; The Complete Direct Marketing Sourceb
More about John Kremer...

“Don't sell yourself short. No one will value you. Set a fair price for you, your book, your services, whatever it is that you have to offer. Most of us set way too low a price. Put it a little higher than you would normally be inclined to do. The worst that can happen is someone will come along and steal it.” 10 likes