Start by marking “Gotta Go! Gotta Go!” as Want to Read:
Gotta Go! Gotta Go!

Gotta Go! Gotta Go!

4.11 of 5 stars 4.11  ·  rating details  ·  117 ratings  ·  37 reviews
An incredible journey

"I don't know much, but I know what I know. I gotta go! I gotta go! I gotta go to Mexico!" The creepy-crawly bug doesn't know why she does what she does. She only knows she has to do it. But making the journey seems impossible for the slow-moving critter, who has no idea what or where Mexico is. Then an everyday miracle occurs, bringing a transformatio
Published March 1st 2004 by Square Fish (first published 2000)

To ask other readers questions about Gotta Go! Gotta Go!, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Gotta Go! Gotta Go!

The Very Hungry Caterpillar by Eric CarleThe Grouchy Ladybug by Eric CarleThe Very Quiet Cricket by Eric CarleDiary of a Worm by Doreen CroninA Fly Went by by Mike McClintock
Picture Books with Bugs
23rd out of 95 books — 70 voters
The Very Hungry Caterpillar by Eric CarleTen Little Caterpillars by Bill Martin Jr.A Butterfly Is Patient by Dianna Hutts AstonCaterpillar's Dream by Roitman TrilloFriends Across the Border by Evangeline Duran Fuentes
Picture Books About Butterflies
57th out of 99 books — 5 voters

More lists with this book...

Oct 09, 2008 Linden rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Kindergarteners
Recommended to Linden by: Happened on it by chance at the bookstore
Gotta Go! Gotta Go! recounts the adventures of a creepy-crawly bug who eats, grows and takes the metamorphic sleep to butterflyhood, but always has the clear knowledge that she's "Gotta go! Gotta go! Gotta go to Mexico!" The infectious rhythm of that refrain catches the ear of kindergarteners and before long, they are leaning from side to side, chanting it along with the text.

GG!GG! follows the grown-up bug over rivers and streams, over cities and towns, across deserts and through dangers until
Christian Wallace
Personal reaction:This is a very good "transitional" children's book. I love how determined the caterpillar is to "make it to Mexico." It is a long journey for the little caterpillar but when she finally makes it, you find out that it was all worth while. She traveled so far and long to find a good place to have her babies. Furthermore, I loved the illustrations of different environments, animals, and insects. The vocabulary is a complex because of pronouns such as "creepy crawly bug," and "beau ...more
Maddie Scheer
1. I thought this was a cute book. It was an interesting story, and I found myself being hooked on the "Gotta go to Mexico!" phrase. It was definitely cute and I enjoyed reading throughout the book. It brought back memories of reading books that were cheesy but wonderful at the same time.
2. This would be a great read aloud for students to make a connection with caterpillars and a unit on them and the process to becoming a butterfly. It was definitely a transitional level book (on the lower side)
Rosa Cline
I absolutely fell in love with this simple little book. The illustrations are very basic but very nicely done and goes with the words on the page. The little caterpillar knew when she was born that she needed to go to Mexico. She didn't know why or how she was going to get there she just 'knew' she needed to do it. The story is a very basic one that little learners can understand. This book not only teaches the growth of a caterpillar to a butterfly(moth) but how they gather together and then fi ...more
Planning a butterfly migration art lesson for K-5 graders. This book captures the motivated motion of butterfly migration with its repetitive "gotta go" refrain throughout the text. Will pair it with Hurry and the Monarch with its bright watercolor illustrations and short "about migration" afterword, and Waiting for Wings as a reference book for butterfly types and colors.
Small book, but big idea. Explains the HUGE migration of monarch butterfly's to Mexico from the caterpillars point of view. Very sweet little drawings, with soft colours.
The caterpillar "buggy"doesn't know why she has this feeling of" gotta go gotta go" but she sets off on her way to Mexico. She tires out easily, and stops for a snack and a nap. She makes a cocoon, seemed like a good idea at the time. But when she wakes up she has been transformed into a different type of bug. A beautiful Monar
Ina Silverness
Gotta Go! Gotta Go! is about a creepy-crawly bug (caterpillar) who "needs to get to Mexico." She is determined to get to Mexico because she knows that is where she needs to go. She turns into a Monarch Butterfly and flies to Mexico, where she finds thousands of other Monach Butterflies.

The book could be used in Science when teaching students about the metamorphosis from a caterpillar to a butterfly and what happens during the process.
Kelly H. (Maybedog)
This seems like a largely forgettable and boring book about a caterpillar who feels driven to go Mexico. Do butterflies migrate? Anyway, somehow my daughter and I have remembered this book for the past decade and a half and whenever someone says, "we gotta go," one of us will invariably say "Gotta go, gotta go, gotta go to Mexico."

So although this is maybe a three star book, for us it's four.
I am surprised by how highly reviewed this book is, because it didn't impress me at all. Maybe it's better for an older child who can participate with the repetition. As an adult reading it to a still mostly non-verbal baby, I found the repetition incredibly tedious and obnoxious--and I don't always dislike repetition, so it was something about this particular book that just didn't work for me. I thought the illustrations were sort of blah, too.
Oh well, different strokes for different folks! May
Supriya Rao
love the graphics
Very simple story about a monarch caterpillar that just "knows" he needs to get to Mexico. She doesn't know where that is, how she'll get there, or why, but she knows she needs to.

As soon as I started reading this, it reminded me of that urgent feeling I've had before, that I needed to do something but didn't know all the answers behind it. Didn't know where, how, or why, but knew that for some reason it is important.

Like the monarch, eventually we can also learn "the reason for everything."

This is a fictionalized look at the life of a butterfly, but I put it in the nonfiction category anyway. It's probably not the best nonfiction book--no afterword discussing what's real and what's not, and I liked the story, but didn't love it. However, the "Gotta go! Gotta go! Gotta go to Mexico!" chant is cute and catchy, and has been a favorite in our household this week.
The amazing life of the Monarch Butterfly is revealed in this book. Amazing creatures. The also portrays the common urge we all get once in while...when we know what we know, but we can't explain it. It's just something that is built in us. There are times in our lives that we must live by faith. Otherwise, what a boring life this would be.
The creepy crawly bug doesn't know why...but, she's gotta go! gotta go! all the way to Mexico! She meets many friendly, yet not-very-helpful creatures along the way. In the end, she realizes what her purpose is and the cycle of life keeps right on rolling.

Used for "UGH!...BUGS!" Storytime-September, 2010.
Love this story for thinking about the journey of a monarch butterfly. It is a catchy story with lots of repetition. It also includes many factual aspects and connects nicely to learning about the butterfly life cycle. I would also use this style to support students personal writing.
Krista the Krazy Kataloguer
With its black and white illustrations this may not be the most colorful picture book around, but it certainly is the catchiest. "Gotta go, gotta go, gotta go to Mexico!" Who keeps repeating that? A little caterpillar that becomes a monarch butterfly! Cute story! Highly recommended.
even if you don't love butterflies or love someone who does, this book is worth reading. its lesson on determination is timeless and universal. the illustrations are an understated treat. i've bought several copies of this book as a gift and i intend to buy several more...
This book was great for a read aloud--the chant "gotta go, gotta go, gotta go to Mexico" just rolls off the tongue! And what a neat story to teach children about the migration process of the Monarch butterfly. We had tons of fun with this!
Natalie Heavrin
This tiny little book teaches A LOT! It shows the butterfly's migration to Mexico form the caterpillar's perspective. It's a fictional book, but the facts about caterpillars and butterflies are all true. Great for teaching about the two!
Chrystie Sargent
We are learning about butterflies at Kindercare! I read this one to pre-school and pre-k classes. They all loved it and were giggling, and everyone predected that the little caterpiller would also go to Mexico!
This was a fun find to enhance our monarch-raising project. We read many more "scientific" books, but my preschool-age daughter liked this one because it reinforced what she had learned in such a simple sweet way.
My students adored this book, primarily because of the chant ("Gotta go! Gotta go! Gotta go to Mexico!"). It helped solidify for them ideas about butterfly migration as a common part of butterflies' life cycle.
This is is great children's book about the life-cycle and journey of a monarch butterfly, explained age appropriately. A very cute story that stays on point. Very creative. My 5 yr old loved it.
Another favorite book to read with my kids. A fun story about the life cycle of a caterpillar/butterfly. The repetition of "gotta go, gotta go" is fun for the kids to repeat throughout the story.
Arlene Lauper
Super, super cute! The kids loved it! It is about a "little, creepy, crawly bug" on the move because she's "gotta go! gotta go! gotta go to mexico!"
Ayana Mishelle
creepy crawly want to go to mexico. This book tells the story of the beautiful monarch butterfly in a wonderful way great for science !!!
This is the first book I remember reading in pre-school lol. The fact that I remember it after over 10 yrs speaks for itself.
Olson Family Matters
Teaches about caterpillar change to butterfly and butterfly migration. Good read with Velma Gratch and the Way Cool Butterfly!
Lovely story about a "creepy crawly bug" turning into a Monarch butterfly who's "gotta go, gotta go, gotta go to Mexico!"
A very small book but cute. Fictional approach to the the cycle of a caterpillar to a butterfly and back again
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »