Start by marking “Borrowed Time: An AIDS Memoir” as Want to Read:
Borrowed Time: An AIDS Memoir

Borrowed Time: An AIDS Memoir

4.3 of 5 stars 4.30  ·  rating details  ·  1,287 ratings  ·  99 reviews
This "tender and lyrical" memoir (New York Times Book Review) remains one of the most compelling documents of the AIDS era-"searing, shattering, ultimately hope inspiring account of a great love story" (San Francisco Examiner). A National Book Critics Circle Award finalist and the winner of the PEN Center West literary award.
Published June 1st 1998 by A Harvest Book/Harcourt, Inc. (first published 1988)

To ask other readers questions about Borrowed Time, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Borrowed Time

Lena♥Ribka

"What am I going to do without him?" I asked in a hollow voice, and Cope replied immediately, with great force and conviction. "Write about him, Paul," he said. "That's what you have to do."

It's a book about LIFE and LOVE, not about death, emotional lines full of overwhelming sadness and grief and painful lost and regret and beautiful lyric and heartbreaking tenderness and touching memories...and LOVE, REAL LOVE.

...we never talked about dying because we were fighting so hard to stay alive.

P
Ivan
I don't know how this book didn't win every award the publishing world has to offer. Quite simply, this one volume is the most emotionally devastating work I've ever read. I've read about hate crimes, political assassination and Nazi persecution, but none touch this. Several times I had to set the book down because I was no longer able to read through great, racking sobs and eyes nearly swollen shut. I grieved.

Paul Monette, author of the the award winning memoir "Becoming a Man: Half a Life Sto
Terry
I loved anything Paul Monette wrote during his short lifetime, but Borrowed Time was so deeply personal, so painful, and so sadly mournful that I always come back to this one for a reread. As a nurse who cared for AIDS patients during the 80s and at the height of the experience,too many times I saw Paul's story in my patients and my friends. The chilling pages where Roger begins to become ill to the final pages of his death left me reminded of my own experiences with lost friends. Sadly, Paul Mo ...more
Ije the Devourer of Books
People seem to think the 'war' against AIDS is over, done and dusted.

But it isn't.

We are not yet free.

All these years after Paul and Roger passed away the battle is still being fought in different places and in different ways. The war that Paul Monette and Roger Horwitz fought is far from over and their story is a reminder that we shouldn't give up because we still have a long way to go. One of the things that challenges me about this story is the way in which it has become in part my story, my
K.D. Absolutely
Aug 10, 2014 K.D. Absolutely rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to K.D. by: 501 Must Read Books
Shelves: 501, memoirs
By far, the most memorable memoir that I've read this year, 2014.

It's about being gay in the early 80's when AIDS awareness was just starting. It's like being helpless and clueless amidst a medical catastrophe. Especially if you are part of the marginalized group and in the 80's even in America, some people still thought that being gay was a disorder or a disease and that AIDS was God's punishment to them.

I was in college during those years and being a medical technology student, we had to make
Colin
Perhaps the most poignant, soul-stirring, achingly beautiful piece of writing I have read. It is so humbling to realize that if I had been born twenty years earlier, I would probably have had to watch many friends and lovers pass away -- if, that is, I had survived myself. Monette's depiction of the ravages of HIV cuts straight to the soul. And more than a polemic account of the Reagan administration's criminal, abhorrent neglect (for that, of course, it would be hard if not impossible to outdo ...more
Amber
Not a book for the faint of heart. This is a lyrical, heartbreaking and powerful look at one couple's battle and one half's eventual demise from AIDS as it was just coming into the national conscious. The amount of suffering and loss Paul and Roger experienced both personally and among friends and family during the early-mid 80s is astounding, especially when it's remembered that at the time, this was still a disease that was not acknowledged by the government.

My office was heavily involved wit
Monkey
This is a hard read. It's about a tough subject matter, and it's also now a book that is of a somewhat historical nature.

I loved it and found it touching and it was enlightening in that it really gives an accurate and detailed portrayal of a gay relationship, the begining of the AIDS crisis and what it was like then to try and survive the disease.

The author is now himself passed in 1995- it is amazing to have this account of one couple's fight at a time when social services were non-existant a
Sam
One of the best memoirs I've ever read.

It seems to be an easy thing for memoirists to descend into either whining, boasting, or self-righteousness. Paul Monette avoids any of these traps, and simply tells the truth with devestating clarity. He does not spare himself; his human frailty is on full view here, but he shows how his love for his friend redeems him, and makes it possible for him to rise above their difficulties.

Their personal story helps put the emergent AIDS crisis in perpective: Pa
Skip
For so many, the AIDS crisis and epidemic has become a footnote in gay history. Thank God, folks are living mostly normal lives today.

But what Monette's writing so eloquently reveals is the way the community fought, struggled and in the end – suffered.

What was also so beautiful was that this was as much a story about the incredible love between Paul and Roger....In fact, that may have been – at the core – its most central message.
Mandy
One of the best memoirs I have ever read. I wept, openly wept like my heart was being ripped out of my chest -- as I read this. God, this man can write. He writes so beautifully and tells such a heartbreaking story -- you will weep at both the beauty of his words and the loss of his friend and love. Go read this book. Now.
Sarah Jane
Jun 11, 2009 Sarah Jane rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone who loves someone else
How can I not give this book 5 stars? This is probably the most well-written memoir I have ever encountered. It reads like the most painful of poems, and I was entranced and horrified and saddened all at the same time.
Melissa
During a critique session, someone in my writing group asked me about my motivation for my novel-in-progress. It’s set in the midst of the AIDS epidemic and is a young adult novel based on real-life experiences. It’s a story that I’m compelled to tell for several reasons.

I thought about my answer for a minute before responding to my friend.

“I don’t want this story to be forgotten,” I said simply, adding that for my kids’ generation, the fear and the panic of AIDS – not to mention the blatant ind
Keith
I finished this book 15 minutes ago and the tears are still streaming down my cheeks for Roger, Paul and my best friend Steven all who past away from AIDS and the complication that came with this horrific disease. As I read this incredibly moving, honest, emotionally filled love story to Rog from Paul, memories of my friend Steven kept flooding back. Unfortunately, even the ones the I thought I locked so tightly away deep down in the depth of my heart that I never wanted to resurface again in my ...more
Vicki
The single greatest memoir about love and loss EVER written. Greater than C.S. Lewis' "A Grief Observed," for example? Yes. I know, a strong statement, but if you know someone who can read this book and not be forever changed, well, as playwright Tony Kushner says about skeptical people who refuse to come to the theatrical experience with gullibility, "Run away from them. They're not good people."

All of those so-called "Christian" fools who think that AIDS was a plague brought on my gay men's "
Scott
Any gay man today who has any shred of honesty or happiness in their life today, owes it to themselves and those before them to read this book. We are extremely fortunate to be who we are WHEN we are - because if we had randomly been born 20 years prior, our lives as gay men would have been a terrifying, defeating nightmare. This book is hopeful, delicate, human. Filled with rage and with grace - it is an important reminder to me, in my life, how lucky I am.
Scott
Dec 03, 2007 Scott rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Anyone who wants to know what it was like in the early days of the AIDS pandemic
This book was amazing.

Before I finished it I told a friend it was depressing. But I've just finished it now, 2 days after World AIDS Day 2007, I find it sad but also so very inspiring. It shows a love so deep in a time of utter crisis and chaos. Just beautiful.

I will never forget the book or Paul & Rog.
Jordan
Even though I know now that the drug had turned on Roger, I still can't understand how we could have had no warning. Hope had left us so unprepared. We had grown so grateful for little things. Out of nowhere you go from light to dark, from winning to losing, go to sleep murmuring thanks and wake to an endless siren. The honeymoon was over, that much was clear. Now we would learn to borrow time in earnest, day by day, making what brief stays we could against the downward spiral from which all our
Gina
This book was worth every heart-breaking sentence. I realize that it could not have been even a fraction as difficult (emotionally) to read as it must have been for Monette to write. I can only thank him for doing so.

-----------
Select Quotes:

Just fifteen months between Roger's beginning suramin treatment and me on ribavirin. Now we know that stride could have been made in '82 or '83 if the government hadn't been playing ostrich. Spilled milk, people tell me; you can't undo the past. But can't w
Celeste
I bought this from a search I ran on Amazon.com for memiors concerning AIDS.

Wow. The writing was poignant and full of raw truth. It was not over indulgent in the writing, which is so easy for a talented author to do in a memior. As one would expect, it was loaded with sadness, but there were so many instances of light moments and memories that balanced the emotional tone of the work. It didn't push away heterosexual readers or people who haven't faced AIDS head on. I know it's hokey, but I felt
Angie
To say this was a good book almost seems inappropriate, because to judge it as a literary piece given the fact that it tells a true and devastating sorry just seems….tangential. Monette is an amazing write (this is his first work I’ve read) and he left me hungering for each page to find out what happened to his beloved Roger in his battle with AIDS. To travel their journey with them during the early days of AIDS where so much was unknown and so much was trial & error…it was horrifying.

Monet
Timothy
"Grief is a sword, or it is nothing."

A furious, sharp and heartbreaking memoir of the early days of the U.S. AIDS epidemic, and Monette's partner's diagnosis, illness and death. Fiercely sorrowful, unsparingly angry. This book has substantial gaps in its political insight; it is primarily a story of the ravages AIDS wreaked on white rich gay men's community in Los Angeles in the mid-80s. But it is still one of the best political memoirs I've ever read, for its sheer determination and clarity of
Leslie Nord
A tragedy, beautifully written. Two gay men who have a great love for each other, who succumb to aids in the 80s - he helps you empathize with what it felt like, to be a gay man and lose your great love to a disease that is only being discovered and understood. The heroic efforts they take, as we all would take, to save the person who means the most to them. Amazing piece that captures that space in time - puts a human face on it. Also shows their families - how they grow to adore the one who lo ...more
Bev Wall
What can I say about this book. Hmmmm! I liked it OK, but I wasn't in love with it. Borrowed Time is a first-person account of AIDS. Roger and the author, Paul Monette were lovers and Roger contracted AIDS. The story is about the 2 years that he suffered with AIDS before he died. It is basically a love story that is very detailed (and not necessarily richly), and tells a story about two gay men and the world they lived in in the 1980's. Sorry, but I couldn't finish this book - it was 342 pages o ...more
Adam Dunn
Borrowed Time is an AIDS Memoir, Newsday says:
"BORROWED TIME brings the plague years home as no other book does. It is impossible to read this love story without weeping... Monette keeps us glued to the page. His narrative combines passion's fire and rage's ice. And the effect is so over-powering, so emotion-charged that at times we simply have to stop reading."

On page 3, as he first reads the details of the disease in a gay paper in 1982:
"I remember exactly what was going through my mind while
Victoria Zagar
This was a terribly sad, true account of the loss of a gay man's partner to AIDS. It's also now a historical piece, showing a fear and misunderstanding of the illness that has lessened with time, and the writer's inner rage at the government of the era doing little to help. It was enlightening to me, since I was a child in the 80s and remember absolutely nothing about the emergence of the AIDS virus, only that it claimed so many bright stars that should still be with us today.

My only complaint a
Larry
Sep 14, 2007 Larry rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: anyone
What a marvelous book this was in its day. I am sure that if one looked they could find a better one. He was so brave to let us all look at his life and illness. I have lost so many friends and this book helped me in so many ways to help adjust to all the death around me. I would recommend this book to anyone who has lost/losing a love one to this disease even if it isnt immenent.
Christopher Parsons
What a painful, heartbreaking, beautiful book. Monette's poetic description of his partner's death from AIDS is a life changing read. Once you've finished weeping, check out his book of poetry called "Love Alone: 18 Elegies for Rog" which will give you more perspective on their relationship.
J
Jul 09, 2009 J rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: the world
Shelves: must-reads
I never read someone who had the power to literally crush my heart with words.And believe me I am not trying to be smart or clever, I know I'm not. Paul is just impossible to describe. If you never read anything else in your life,this is it.
Lisa
What an emotional roller coaster ride, maybe a bit too much which is why I knocked it down one star. I feel the author focused a lot on his own feelings. Nevertheless, it's an outstanding memoir of the early Aids epidemic, it really captured the feel of the mid-eighties in the homosexual community. I can't imagination the stigma of being homosexual and then this horrific disease descend on you. I was a kid in the eighties and was not aware of the Aids epidemic in the big cities or anywhere for t ...more
  • Heaven's Coast: A Memoir
  • I, Pierre Seel, Deported Homosexual: A Memoir of Nazi Terror
  • The Farewell Symphony
  • Close to the Knives: A Memoir of Disintegration
  • The Man With Night Sweats
  • Secret Historian: The Life and Times of Samuel Steward, Professor, Tattoo Artist, and Sexual Renegade
  • Geography Of The Heart
  • The Gentrification of the Mind: Witness to a Lost Imagination
  • The Normal Heart
  • Hidden from History: Reclaiming the Gay and Lesbian Past
  • Coming Out Under Fire: The History of Gay Men and Women in World War Two
  • Father and Son
  • The Gay Metropolis: The Landmark History of Gay Life in America since World War II
  • Christianity, Social Tolerance, and Homosexuality: Gay People in Western Europe from the Beginning of the Christian Era to the Fourteenth Century
Interviews:

Documentary: On Brink of Summer's End 1996

Online Guide to Paul Monette's papers at UCLA:

In novels, poetry, and a memoir, Paul Monette wrote about gay men striving to fashion personal identities and, later, coping with the loss of a lover to AIDS.

Monette was born in Lawrence, Massac
More about Paul Monette...
Becoming a Man: Half a Life Story Last Watch of the Night: Essays Too Personal and Otherwise Afterlife Halfway Home Love Alone: Eighteen Elegies for Rog

“It will be recorded that the dead in the first decade of the calamity died of our indifference.” 8 likes
“Grief is a sword, or it is nothing.” 6 likes