Start by marking “The Reapers Song (Red River of the North, #4)” as Want to Read:
The Reapers Song (Red River of the North, #4)

The Reapers Song (Red River of the North #4)

4.37  ·  Rating Details ·  1,341 Ratings  ·  44 Reviews
Ever so slowly Dakota Territory is being transformed from a vast prairie into rich farmland. With the coming of the railroad, the small town of Blessing begins to prosper, and the Bjorklund family is reaping the promised harvest that had lured them from their beloved home in Norway.
But for Ingeborg and Haakan, realizing their dreams will not come without a struggle. After
Published September 1st 2006 by Bethany House Publishers (first published January 1st 1982)

A Lady of High Regard by Tracie PetersonAnne of Avonlea by L.M. MontgomeryAnne of the Island by L.M. MontgomeryThese Happy Golden Years by Laura Ingalls WilderThe Long Winter by Laura Ingalls Wilder
Historical Fiction Book Covers
68th out of 112 books — 12 voters
Until That Distant Day by Jill StenglThe Redemption by M.L. TyndallThe Blue Enchantress by M.L. TyndallA Dream Not Imagined by Shantelle Mary HannuRose's Pledge by Sally Laity
Great Christian Romances
52nd out of 104 books — 9 voters

More lists with this book...

Pam
Jul 18, 2011 Pam rated it it was amazing
I've enjoyed learning about the hardships and successes of the Norwegian immigrants who settled in the North Dakota Territory. The courage and strength of these determined people is amazing and their faith inspiring. Lauraine Snelling has developed a cast of characters in this Red River of the North series who are engaging, inspiring and memorable. I have enjoyed all the books in this series!
Alice
Mar 26, 2008 Alice rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Bjorklund family remains the core of the Red River series. However, by the time we were half way into the book, I was becoming bewildered by more and more characters. Some more of the family immigrated from Norway. Some neighbors moved in from other areas of America. Finally, a unifying theme emerged from the chaos: developing a community.

In the first book of the series, two isolated couples on the prairie faced everything alone. At the lowest point, the two husbands died, leaving the two w
Christy
May 30, 2015 Christy rated it really liked it
Shelves: historical
Another great read in the Red River Series. This is probably my favorite historical series thus far. The small town of Blessing is growing and with that many new faces. There is a lot to keep up with in this series but I feel it's worth it. These Lauraine Snelling books are pure family and community and light on the romance; which will always be my favorite. They are not fluffy or cheesy or dripping with sweet words. Just raw grit and determination to seek out God's will in the Dakota territory. ...more
Carol
Jun 26, 2016 Carol rated it it was amazing
I had read this before, but had forgotten many of the details! Well worth reading again!

The story begins in Springfield, Missouri in the Early Summer of 1885. He was dead. Zeb MacCallister held the rifle instead of throwing it because of his pa's training to "Treat your rifle better than any woman...." His had saved his life. Why had Abe Galloway gone for his gun? They hid the body in a cave that Zeb & his sister's had played in as children. When he got home, his sister, Mary Martha, noticed
Allan67
Sep 11, 2015 Allan67 rated it really liked it
Another book read to the wife. She loves to be read to, she always has. Reading is one of the few things that we can do together.

This book is a continuation of the Bjorklund family story on the prairie in the Dakota territory, later to become North Dakota. In this book, the coming of the railroad brings about the successful creation of the town of Blessing, complete with blacksmith shop,grain storehouse,general store, and soon to be boarding house. Various new Bjorklund family members, plus some
Massanutten Regional Library
Linda, Central patron, June 2016, 5 stars:

This is the 4th book in Red River of the North series. It continues telling the story of the Bjorklund family and the lives of different families living in the newly named Blessing. It is filled with stories of new babies, death of dreams and babies, new drifters coming and making Blessing their home. Two story lines follow the lives of a couple who experience tragedy after farming accident and another follows the tale of two families similar to Hatfield
Pegg
Sep 30, 2014 Pegg rated it it was amazing
The saga continues from the North Dakota plains. Lauraine Snelling does an excellent job of keeping the story moving forward, the characters true to the books before, and interesting new characters added to the mix.

Bridget Bjorklund - Ingeborg's first mother-in-law - arrives on the plains. She brings with her a daughter, a nephew, a cousin, and an orphan she collected on the boat from Norway. The Bjorklund houses are filled to capacity.

Zeb MacCallister, a non-Norwegian, rides into town looking
Jun 10, 2016 Laura rated it liked it
What a great story as the families adjust to the Dakota’s while it was still a territory. There were many signals that growth was happening, things like combining their monies to purchase a steam engine and separator to allow them to grow more crops without depending on others who did not have their best interest.

I had not read her previous books in this series and it did not take away from the enjoyment of reading the dreams, love and struggles of the people moving into new areas of the Dakot
Kathryn
Dec 27, 2009 Kathryn rated it really liked it
Dee Renee  Chesnut
Jun 04, 2014 Dee Renee Chesnut rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2014
This is the fourth book of Red River of the North series, and I did not expect it to start with the consequences of gun violence. The scene pulled me right into this novel. In the fourth chapter we meet up with the Bjorklund family who are expecting arrivals of more family members from Norway.

Once again I recommend this series to readers who enjoy the history of our country and its pioneers when it is told as a family saga.
Fay Risner
Apr 22, 2016 Fay Risner rated it it was amazing
I enjoyed finding out what happened next in the lives of the Bjorklund family. The details about pioneer life as it changed in ten years of living in the Dakota territory are interesting as part of our history. It's always fun to see what is going to happen and as each pretty young woman joins the community to guess which one of the homesteaders will marry her.
Hope
I'm truly enjoying this series! Each book brings many reminders that God is always faithful, even when we're not. I've enjoyed reacquainting myself with the ever growing Bjorklund family and all their friends. It's been 2-3 years since I last read this series. I keep catching myself smiling and nodding when old friends come on the scene. I love this series! :-)
Hope
Apr 24, 2015 Sarah rated it really liked it
Red River of the North series book 4. Dakota territory has grown a town called Blessing. More people have settled. There is now a store, blacksmith ship, and a railroad comes through. New characters have been introduced. Everyone is trying to pair the single preacher off with various young ladies.
Karen Singrey
Mar 21, 2015 Karen Singrey rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Feeling like family...

Another great book with the town of Blessing's people. A little concerned at first with the introduction of new people. Ms. Snelling weaves magic into this story. I am itching to start book 5.
Patsy
Oct 02, 2013 Patsy rated it really liked it
The Bjorklund family is increasing with new neighbors and new workers. The town of Blessing is increasing and prospering. The younger couples are getting married building houses and businesses and having children. The Bjorklund families and neighbors bought a steam engine and separators to harvest their field. The men are using their machines to harvest the fields for other homesteads for a portion of their harvest. This story is very well written and you almost see all the characters and how th ...more
Deb
Jan 23, 2014 Deb rated it really liked it
More trials & tribulations -- honestly, I certainly admire the early settlers & all the things they had to do to survive. They were hardworking, if you didn't work you would never survive the winter. Two more books to go :)I've actually learned a little Norweigan! Mange Tak!
Barb Lipko
Jul 22, 2016 Barb Lipko rated it it was amazing
I am enjoying Lauraine Snelling's books for their characters and historical fiction
Linda
Nov 24, 2014 Linda rated it it was amazing
The series is really good - even though the cover of the book looks boring.
Kathleen
I now want to visit North Dakota 26just not in the winter.
Connie
Sep 28, 2015 Connie rated it really liked it
I continue to be fascinated by this wonderful series.
Mom
Jan 06, 2015 Mom rated it it was amazing
Love this series - love the time period it is set in. The town of Blessing is growing and I'm loving following all the different paths the Bjorklund's are on. Read this while on trip to Ohio so enjoyed this book immensely.
Maya
Jun 22, 2016 Maya rated it it was amazing
I liked this book of the series a lot. Good job!
Mypupdaisy
May 07, 2014 Mypupdaisy rated it it was amazing
LoL, the whole Bjorklund family is showing up. It was a great book. Can't wait to move on to #5.
Sharon Buxton
Feb 06, 2016 Sharon Buxton rated it it was amazing
A. historical fiction, series #4, own
Connie
Jan 10, 2013 Connie rated it really liked it
This is book 4 of the Red River of the North series.The author introduced a few new characters that are now part of the growing town of Blessing. Although fairly predictable, there are enough twists and turns to make the book interesting and enjoyable. I'm anxious to continue the series to see what becomes of my "new friends in the Dakota Territory"!
Terri Bonow
Feb 16, 2014 Terri Bonow rated it liked it
Shelves: terri-s-shelf
Again, this series is an easy escape reading genre, but what a life these dedicated pioneers had in the Dakota territories in the 1880's.
Shirlyn
Aug 24, 2010 Shirlyn rated it really liked it
again in this the 4th in the series, just a good story of the stuggle to break in America by our ancestories in the 1800's. I like the books because of the love, struggle, hardships and joy without the excess of skin and sex that so many historical novels sometimes have to add in
Rachel
Nov 14, 2015 Rachel rated it really liked it
This was a well-written Christian historical novel. The characters were well drawn and engaging, and the plot was interesting. I really enjoyed it. I look forward to reading more of the series.
Krissie
Jan 28, 2014 Krissie added it
Shelves: 2014
Zeb and the girls
Sinopsis en Español // Synopsis in Spanish 1 1 May 20, 2015 11:39AM
  • The Beloved Land (Song of Acadia, #5)
  • Fields of Grace (Heart of the Prairie #4)
  • The Night Angel (Heirs of Acadia, #4)
  • Sons of an Ancient Glory (Emerald Ballad #4)
  • A Dream to Call My Own (The Brides of Gallatin County, #3)
  • Love Finds You in Lonesome Prairie, Montana
Lauraine Snelling is the award-winning author of over seventy books, with sales of more than 2 million copies.

She also writes for a wide range of magazines, and helps others reach their writing dreams by teaching at writers’ conferences across the country.

Lauraine and her husband, Wayne, have two grown sons, and live in the Tehachapi Mountains with a watchdog Basset named Winston.

They love to tra
More about Lauraine Snelling...

Red River of the North (7 books)
  • An Untamed Heart
  • An Untamed Land (Red River of the North, #1)
  • A New Day Rising (Red River of the North, #2)
  • A Land to Call Home (Red River of the North, #3)
  • Tender Mercies (Red River of the North, #5)
  • Blessing in Disguise (Red River of the North, #6)

“Heavenly Father, you must think us such silly creatures, always worrying about tomorrow and letting today slip by.” 0 likes
“We people aren’t too different from the cows, are we? Never content with what we have, always leaning through the fence in search of more.” 0 likes