Start by marking “Three Days on a River in a Red Canoe” as Want to Read:
Three Days on a River in a Red Canoe

Three Days on a River in a Red Canoe

Follow the red canoe from page to page as it journeys down river carrying the family on a camping tour. It's the next best thing to paddling it yourself.
Published August 1st 1984 by Greenwillow Books (first published April 1st 1981)

To ask other readers questions about Three Days on a River in a Red Canoe, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Three Days on a River in a Red Canoe

Emily
May 29, 2007 Emily rated it it was amazing
Shelves: childhood
i kind of assume that any book i read in childhood and randomly refer to years and years after i last thought of it is automatically awesome. THIS book is awesome. i want to do this. only in kayaks.
Cindi
Nov 11, 2009 Cindi rated it it was amazing
I LOVED this little book. The colored pencil drawings were a fresh change in illustrations and the whole idea of a canoe trip really got me thinking about planning a backcountry trip with the whole family.
Fjóla
Sep 16, 2015 Fjóla rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: 1st to 5th graders
Fun book about an overnight trip down a river. Presented sort of as a child's school report, with cute colored pencil illustrations. Has some basic info about camping preparation and wilderness skills, might inspire you to start planning a trip.
Meghan
Aug 16, 2015 Meghan rated it it was amazing
I have often thought about this book when I'm on a river as an adult. It's a fabulous travel story for a kid. It reads aloud well, but all the details (such as the apricot stew recipe) are fun for slightly older readers to puzzle out on their own.
Kat
Oct 18, 2015 Kat rated it really liked it
I would have ADORED this book as a kid. Lots of details to chew over, and it makes you want to go on a canoeing trip.
Leiera Monae
Jun 18, 2014 Leiera Monae rated it liked it
Shelves: children-teens
Children's Reading Adventures Book Club, Summer 2014

*D.E.A.R. Time -- Read with 7 year olds*

06.05.2014
Sep 12, 2014 Laura rated it really liked it
Shelves: kids-books
Another favorite from my childhood that my girls like too.
Maddi MacDonald
Jan 09, 2014 Maddi MacDonald rated it it was amazing
Awesome book detailing the fun and uncertainty of actual expeditions with kiddos into the backcountry! LOVE IT!
Helen
Jun 07, 2009 Helen rated it it was amazing
I have a list of my favorite children's books and I would rate this as one of the top five.

Each page takes you on a journey from the purchase of the red canoe down a river and on a camping tour. The book blurb says: "It's the next best thing to paddling it yourself." And it really is.
Kat B.
Apr 24, 2013 Kat B. rated it liked it
I loved "A Chair for my Mother," and read it hundreds of times when I was little. This is an earlier work and has less polished illustrations. I liked the little story of two women and two boys canoeing down a river. Super simple. Pretty sweet.
Bree
May 01, 2014 Bree rated it liked it
Notes:
quite a long book
lots of detailed illustrations
told from boy's point of view so you travel right there with him
10yo son especially liked this
Kendra
Feb 28, 2012 Kendra rated it it was amazing
Oh this was fun to read with the boys and to imagine a trip like this with them! They liked it too...a perfect book for the winter when the actual trip is not possible.
Tracy
Aug 15, 2012 Tracy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is one of those books that everyone ought to read, even if you never go camping or canoeing. The illustrations are great, the information succinct.
Mellodi Parks
Aug 15, 2012 Mellodi Parks rated it it was amazing
re read this again as an adult and still found it to be great. A short quick read that also has a few great recipes as well. Give this a read.
Amber
Sep 06, 2007 Amber rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Any Child
Shelves: children-books
The Story is very well writen and somewhat easy for a child to read. The illstration are all drawn in color pencils very detailed drawings.
Tee
Nov 23, 2011 Tee rated it it was amazing
This book made me want to go canoeing. It's a pretty cool story about a cpl of moms taking their kiddos on a canoeing trip. Awesome moms :)
Amy
Apr 29, 2012 Amy rated it really liked it
Shelves: reading-rainbow
Reading Rainbow: Three Days on a River in a Red Canoe

This book feels REAL. We liked it a lot.
Debbie Tanner
Mar 30, 2012 Debbie Tanner rated it it was amazing
This book makes canoeing and camping look like so much fun! I wish I could go too!
Marisa
I liked reading this book simply because I enjoy hiking and swimming and kayaking.
Lisbeth Solberg
Wonderful detail, including a cat with extra toes. And yes, this book IS awesome.
Paula
Apr 09, 2012 Paula rated it liked it

Mother, Aunt Rosie, and two children make a three-day camping trip by canoe.
Kari
Jun 25, 2009 Kari rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I remember this book from my childhood, and it is still a winner.
Amanda
Aug 06, 2011 Amanda rated it liked it
i wish it had just been 3 days, right ans?
Aili
Mar 02, 2010 Aili marked it as kids
one of my favorites books when I was a kid
Monika
Nov 02, 2011 Monika rated it really liked it
Shelves: kids, 2011
My kids think this book is "cool".
Cws
Jul 02, 2009 Cws added it
Shelves: jerr
JERR-Will
Gaby Mallo
Gaby Mallo marked it as to-read
Sep 08, 2016
Lydia Wren
Lydia Wren rated it it was amazing
Aug 23, 2016
Lori
Lori marked it as to-read
Aug 18, 2016
  • Nuts to You!
  • Gila Monsters Meet You at the Airport
  • Grandfather Twilight
  • The Bicycle Man
Graduate of Black Mountain College, North Carolina, where she majored in graphic art. In her own words, she has "done graphic art, school teaching, children-raising [she has two daughters and a son], has run a bakery and been a cook in schools and restaurants." (from back flap of book)

Vera B. Williams is the winner of the 2009 NSK Neustadt Prize for Children's Literature.

You can read much more ab
More about Vera B. Williams...