The Spectacle Of The Body

The Spectacle Of The Body

4.28 of 5 stars 4.28  ·  rating details  ·  46 ratings  ·  5 reviews
There was a time when the longest story in this book was known by the title of this book - for in a certain sense that story concerns the fabulous costume nature can construe from us when it has made up its mind to unravel us down to the last stitch of thread. But whenever Noy Holland went to read aloud from her work, there was an audience who heard her begin, "At night, w...more
Published May 24th 1994 by Knopf (first published 1994)

Adam
There are quite a few writers I admire whose entire careers don't cover as much ground as Holland's story ORBIT.
Shaylah Kloska Paul
In this collection of prose, "Orbit" stands out as the gem. Every one of Holland's lines in this story is perfect. It killed me to read something so good. But in many of the other pieces, Holland's language became slightly too vague to where it was difficult to grasp the narrative. I would still recommend this, though, without a doubt, to anyone with an appreciation of inventive, atmospheric prose that caters to a subtley creepy, thick-heat-of-summer aesthetic.
Garett
By far one of my favorites. Noy Holland is a master of poetic prose and narrative voice. Dark songs of loss and longing, strange tenderness in a new kind of American Gothic. Terrible beauty, dreamlike movement. Track this one down immediately.
Andrea
A friend in my workshop just lent me this book, and it's really beautiful. It's training me to read more slowly, I think.
Christopher
Christopher marked it as to-read
Apr 08, 2014
Jayne
Jayne added it
Mar 19, 2014
Bryce
Bryce marked it as to-read
Mar 14, 2014
Aidan Watson-Morris
Aidan Watson-Morris marked it as to-read
Mar 10, 2014
Rachel
Rachel marked it as to-read
Feb 27, 2014
Giancarlo
Giancarlo marked it as to-read
Feb 22, 2014
Eraserhead
Eraserhead marked it as to-read
Feb 21, 2014
Matt
Matt marked it as to-read
Feb 21, 2014
Lisa
Lisa marked it as to-read
Jan 17, 2014
Lauren
Lauren marked it as to-read
Dec 11, 2013
Krista
Krista marked it as to-read
Dec 10, 2013
Gayla
Gayla marked it as to-read
Dec 03, 2013
Kevin Carter
Kevin Carter marked it as to-read
Oct 15, 2013
Nathan
Nathan added it
Nov 10, 2013
Jerrod
Jerrod marked it as to-read
Sep 08, 2013
Slay Belle
Slay Belle marked it as to-read
Jul 02, 2013
Rand
Rand marked it as to-read
Jun 05, 2013
Pj
Pj added it
Jun 04, 2013
Scotty
Scotty marked it as to-read
Dec 26, 2013
T.
T. added it
May 09, 2013
Richard Chiem
Richard Chiem marked it as to-read
Mar 20, 2013
« previous 1 3 4 next »
What Begins with Bird What begins with bird The Spectacle of the Body The Spectacle of the Body: Stories