Start by marking “Walt Disney: Young Movie Maker” as Want to Read:
Walt Disney: Young Movie Maker

Walt Disney: Young Movie Maker (Childhood of Famous Americans)

3.83 of 5 stars 3.83  ·  rating details  ·  160 ratings  ·  28 reviews
How did a farm boy in Missouri grow up to be the father of Mickey Mouse, Donald Duck, Pluto, Goofy, and scores of other beloved characters? Here is the childhood story of an American original.
Published June 1st 1997 by Aladdin

To ask other readers questions about Walt Disney, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Walt Disney

Acton
This book is about Walt Disney as a little boy. He started out in Chicago and when he was five, he moved to Michigan. There, his family bought a farm and lived on it for two years. Then he moved to Kansas and was a newspaper boy. Then he went back to Chicago and decided he was going to be a cartoonist. He was inspired by his love of art and an ad he saw saying you could learn how to draw cartoons by mail. Then he moved back to Kansas and started his own business, but soon his business lost all o ...more
Alex Adell
Walt Disney by Marie Hammontree is a biography about a young boy who loved drawing from the time he could walk till the time he died. Walt Disney grew up in many places like Missiouri, Kansas, and Chicago. So he never had a home that he stayed in forever during his childhood. In his adulthood Walt lived in places like France, New York, and Hollywood. During his life while he was making art he was broke many times and homeless then some how he would always find a new job. He finally hit the jackp ...more
Nevada Libert
i loved this book so much.
i love what walt did i think that it is amazing.
and i am a mazed that he built disneyland such a neat thing that he did.
Christany
This was a very interesting book now i know what the things are and how they came to be. This is a good book for 2nd and 3rd graders for an essay
about Walter Disney.
Laura Verret
I’ve already summarized Walt Disney’s life in my review of The Story of Walt Disney, so I won’t bring it all out again here. Suffice it to say that Walt Disney faithfully reported the story of Disney’s childhood – his dreams of being an artist, his sadness at moving away from his beloved farm, and his new life peddling newspapers on the streets of Kansas City.

Unlike most of the Childhood of Famous Americans series, Walt Disney continues right on into Disney’s adulthood, explaining his various bu
Marilyn
This children's biography is an excellent read that I discovered in a 2nd-hand store. I read it to a class of 6th graders, even though the reading level is more on a 4th-grade level. It is filled with foreshadows in his childhood that led to many of the great things Disney accomplished as an adult. Disney is the epitome of working hard, making sacrifices, and fulfilling dreams.
Josh
It was a very good book. It talks about most of his childhood and his ideas for Disneyland. It also says about how Mickey was made or Oswald the rabbit and the other characters he made. I was surprised how they were very poor growing up but Walt never complained about any of his work. Overall, it was a very good book.
Michele Knott
This was an interesting book because it is a biography, yet it's historical fiction because the author has put it in a narrative story. The book, while staying true to facts (as compared to other Disney biographies), takes liberties by using narrative dialogue.
Charlotte
I really enjoyed reading about Walt Disney. He had a very interesting life and worked very hard to get to where he got to. I'm not a "Disney" fan in the sense of loving "Disney stuff, but I liked this book and now I like Walt Disney the man.
Christopher
I like biographies and I have been a huge fan of Disney and Walt Disney since I was little. My mom got me this book for Christmas in 2007, but I didn't read it until a few years later. It was full of things I never knew about young Walt's life, including what it was like on the farm and that he had a friend also named Walter. It also has a really good illustration of him at the beginning of the book, before his death in 1966. I had no idea he died so young. But if you're a fan of the late great ...more
Tori
I would probably give it 3 stars - on my own, because I have read more in depth biographies of Walt Disney. So, for me, it lacked a lot of the detail I loved learning about him. But I have to give it four stars because my son really liked it. He needed a biography - and it read easy and he found it fun and informational. Good for third graders - probably not enough for older kids. The majority of the book is based on Walt Disney's childhood - not much about his journey into animation and the ult ...more
Takee
Oct 23, 2014 Takee marked it as to-read
amazing book
Andrew
not so good.
Holly Jorgenson
I always read this one to my class using a false name and make them guess who it is about. Most of this book takes place when Walt was a very young boy. When someone finally figures it out, students are amazed at some of the things Walt did, like hold down three jobs to make extra money for drawing paper.
Ben Coulter
I believe this story was written fairly well for being a biography, however it contained not many historical facts. This would be a good "story" to have your child read however it doesnt give many historical facts about the life of Walt Disney. Simply put, this book gives us not much more than a good story.
Ismail menasterly
this book tells the life story of walter Disney who as a boy thought of building a great attraction like Disney world and tells of him dying while in the middle of a project.
it was a good book
Kristen
Not my favorite in the series, but a great glance into what made Walt Disney, Walt Disney. It did inspire me to find a good book on the history of Disneyland, however. Anyone know of a good one?
Jason
Walt Disney was a really smart guy that liked to make movies. He made movies when he was young and he created the company Walt Disney World. He continued making movies in that time.
Katie
What a learning experience! I had NO idea of how much Walt Disney went through....time and time again, to finally succeed. A true American inspiration, and talent!
Jason
This a good book about the history. It is because it's about Walt Disney that liked to be a movie maker. He worked really hard when he was a kid to be a movie maker.
Jessi
My Second Grade students have used this book for their biography reports. It is very easy to understand and read, yet filled with information on Walt Disney.
Bookwyrmgyrl
Dec 05, 2011 Bookwyrmgyrl added it
Shelves: biography
I really enjoy this series of biographies, in the Childhood of Famous Americans series.
Ms.
Jun 02, 2009 Ms. rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: everyone
Recommended to Ms. by: Me
Shelves: graham-l
This book was about Walt Disney's childhood all the way to the Disneyland Resort.
Halley
Mar 23, 2013 Halley added it
this book was all about walts life and how he becomes a big success
Michael
it was one of the best books i ever read!!!!
Lena
OK I READ THIS FOR A LA PROJECT...
Charlie
Jan 08, 2012 Charlie marked it as to-read
The best ever
  • Davy Crockett: Young Rifleman (Childhood of Famous Americans Series)
  • Abigail Adams: Girl of Colonial Days
  • Sacagawea: American Pathfinder
  • Betsy Ross: Designer of Our Flag (Childhood of Famous Americans)
  • Ben Franklin: Young Printer
  • Thomas Edison: Young Inventor
  • Helen Keller: From Tragedy to Triumph (Childhood of Famous Americans)
  • Louis Braille: The Boy Who Invented Books for the Blind
  • Laura Ingalls Wilder: Young Pioneer (Childhood of Famous Americans)
  • Out of Darkness: The Story of Louis Braille
  • Who Was Ferdinand Magellan?
  • The Tinker's Daughter: A Story Based on the Life of Mary Bunyan
  • Beethoven Lives Upstairs
  • Sable
  • Corrie Ten Boom: Keeper of the Angels' Den (Chrisitan Heroes: Then & Now)
  • Davy Crockett: His Own Story
  • Polar Bear Patrol (The Magic School Bus Chapter Book, #13)
  • The Watchman: The Twisted Life and Crimes of Serial Hacker Kevin Poulsen

Childhood of Famous Americans (1 - 10 of 213 books)
  • George Washington: Young Leader
  • Davy Crockett: Young Rifleman (Childhood of Famous Americans Series)
  • Jackie Robinson: Young Sports Trailblazer
  • Robert E. Lee: Young Confederate (Childhood of Famous Americans Series)
  • Childhood of Famous Americans
  • Knute Rockne: Young Athlete
  • Martin Luther King, Jr.: Young Man with a Dream (Childhood of Famous Americans Series)
  • Crispus Attucks: Black Leader of Colonial Patriots (Childhood of Famous Americans Series)
  • John Fitzgerald Kennedy: America's Youngest President (Childhood of Famous Americans Series)
  • Frederick Douglass: Abolitionist Hero (Childhood of Famous Americans)
Albert Einstein: Young Thinker Will and Charlie Mayo: Boy Doctors A.P. Giannini: Boy of San Francisco Walt Disney (History's All-Stars) Albert Einstein