Walt Disney: Young Movie Maker

Walt Disney: Young Movie Maker (Childhood of Famous Americans)

3.75 of 5 stars 3.75  ·  rating details  ·  132 ratings  ·  22 reviews
How did a farm boy in Missouri grow up to be the father of Mickey Mouse, Donald Duck, Pluto, Goofy, and scores of other beloved characters? Here is the childhood story of an American original.
Published June 1st 1997 by Aladdin

Acton
This book is about Walt Disney as a little boy. He started out in Chicago and when he was five, he moved to Michigan. There, his family bought a farm and lived on it for two years. Then he moved to Kansas and was a newspaper boy. Then he went back to Chicago and decided he was going to be a cartoonist. He was inspired by his love of art and an ad he saw saying you could learn how to draw cartoons by mail. Then he moved back to Kansas and started his own business, but soon his business lost all o...more
Nevada Libert
i loved this book so much.
i love what walt did i think that it is amazing.
and i am a mazed that he built disneyland such a neat thing that he did.
Christany
This was a very interesting book now i know what the things are and how they came to be. This is a good book for 2nd and 3rd graders for an essay
about Walter Disney.
Josh
It was a very good book. It talks about most of his childhood and his ideas for Disneyland. It also says about how Mickey was made or Oswald the rabbit and the other characters he made. I was surprised how they were very poor growing up but Walt never complained about any of his work. Overall, it was a very good book.
Charlotte
I really enjoyed reading about Walt Disney. He had a very interesting life and worked very hard to get to where he got to. I'm not a "Disney" fan in the sense of loving "Disney stuff, but I liked this book and now I like Walt Disney the man.
Christopher
I like biographies and I have been a huge fan of Disney and Walt Disney since I was little. My mom got me this book for Christmas in 2007, but I didn't read it until a few years later. It was full of things I never knew about young Walt's life, including what it was like on the farm and that he had a friend also named Walter. It also has a really good illustration of him at the beginning of the book, before his death in 1966. I had no idea he died so young. But if you're a fan of the late great...more
Tori
I would probably give it 3 stars - on my own, because I have read more in depth biographies of Walt Disney. So, for me, it lacked a lot of the detail I loved learning about him. But I have to give it four stars because my son really liked it. He needed a biography - and it read easy and he found it fun and informational. Good for third graders - probably not enough for older kids. The majority of the book is based on Walt Disney's childhood - not much about his journey into animation and the ult...more
Andrew
not so good.
Holly Jorgenson
I always read this one to my class using a false name and make them guess who it is about. Most of this book takes place when Walt was a very young boy. When someone finally figures it out, students are amazed at some of the things Walt did, like hold down three jobs to make extra money for drawing paper.
Ben Coulter
I believe this story was written fairly well for being a biography, however it contained not many historical facts. This would be a good "story" to have your child read however it doesnt give many historical facts about the life of Walt Disney. Simply put, this book gives us not much more than a good story.
Ismail menasterly
this book tells the life story of walter Disney who as a boy thought of building a great attraction like Disney world and tells of him dying while in the middle of a project.
it was a good book
Kristen
Not my favorite in the series, but a great glance into what made Walt Disney, Walt Disney. It did inspire me to find a good book on the history of Disneyland, however. Anyone know of a good one?
Jason
Walt Disney was a really smart guy that liked to make movies. He made movies when he was young and he created the company Walt Disney World. He continued making movies in that time.
Katie
What a learning experience! I had NO idea of how much Walt Disney went through....time and time again, to finally succeed. A true American inspiration, and talent!
Jason
This a good book about the history. It is because it's about Walt Disney that liked to be a movie maker. He worked really hard when he was a kid to be a movie maker.
Jessi
My Second Grade students have used this book for their biography reports. It is very easy to understand and read, yet filled with information on Walt Disney.
Bookwyrmgyrl
Dec 05, 2011 Bookwyrmgyrl added it
Shelves: biography
I really enjoy this series of biographies, in the Childhood of Famous Americans series.
Ms.
Jun 02, 2009 Ms. rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: everyone
Recommended to Ms. by: Me
Shelves: graham-l
This book was about Walt Disney's childhood all the way to the Disneyland Resort.
Halley
Mar 23, 2013 Halley added it
this book was all about walts life and how he becomes a big success
Michael
it was one of the best books i ever read!!!!
Lena
OK I READ THIS FOR A LA PROJECT...
Charlie
Jan 08, 2012 Charlie marked it as to-read
The best ever
Sandra Pfeifer
Sandra Pfeifer marked it as to-read
Jul 09, 2014
Cheyenne
Cheyenne marked it as to-read
Jul 07, 2014
Ariana Sotoropolis
Ariana Sotoropolis marked it as to-read
Jul 06, 2014
Nelsi
Nelsi added it
Jul 06, 2014
Michelle
Michelle marked it as to-read
Jul 03, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
Albert Einstein: Young Thinker Will and Charlie Mayo: Boy Doctors A.P. Giannini: Boy of San Francisco Albert Einstein Walt Disney (History's All-Stars)