Achebe's Things Fall Apart

Achebe's Things Fall Apart

3.69 of 5 stars 3.69  ·  rating details  ·  525 ratings  ·  24 reviews
<div><br/><div>Reader's Guides provide a comprehensive starting point for any advanced student, giving an overview of the context, criticism and influence of key works. Each guide also offers students fresh critical insights and provides a practical introduction to close reading and to analysing literary language and form. They pro...more
Published May 16th 2007 by Bloomsbury Academic (first published January 1st 2007)

Annie Sirois
Things Fall Apart take the reader through a series of highs and lows relating around Okonkwo, a wealthy and respected warrior of the Umuofia clan. Okonkwo loves his loved ones through mistakes he makes and ultimately losses himself trying to fight for his clan. Okonkwo's mishaps will later comprise part of the District Commissioners novel: The Pacification of the Primitive Tribes of the Lower Niger. Achebe's Things Fall Apart was an engaging novel that was well written and easy to comprehend the...more
Pantiara
Language can be a bridge from one way of thinking to another person's culture, which is what this book provides. It isn't about clever puns, riveting plot twists, or flowing descriptions, it's about a culture that you've most likely never seen, told through the eyes of a man who is watching it crumble into dust. The language is basic English, probably 6th grade or middle school level, but it provides a fascinating glimpse into an Africa that doesn't exist anymore. It doesn't romanticize it eithe...more
Maxine
Things Fall Apart
by Chinua Achebe

10 Words: Traditional Man, cannot accept change, longs for good old days.

This story follows through the life of a man who works hard for himself, his family and his people. Then one day an accident happens and everything he has worked for gets turned upside down. He is forced to spend seven years in Exile (his wife and children along with him). The year ends with Missionaries starting to gain a foothold in both his tribe and the one his mother came from.
The wa...more
Craig Kyle
So, unless you’re from Nigeria, you might not be able to relate to the Igbo culture that this book is about. I bet your dad hasn’t murdered your adopted brother, and I’m guessing that your country hasn’t just been colonized and your culture shattered. But if you think you can’t relate to this book, think again.

Though Okonkwo, our main character, is a respected leader in the Umuofia tribe of the Igbo people, he lives in fear of becoming his father – a man known for his laziness and cowardice. Th...more
Cynthia Gibson
I'm currently on page 76 and this book is incredible. I don't really like reading about tribes and historical reading but this book has definitely caught my attention since its from the perspective of Okonkwo. I recommend this book to anyone and everyone who just want to read a book that contains somewhat tribal traditions and beliefs. I rate this book an absolute 5.
Wendy
I love the history behind this book. It is very interesting to learn of Africa and read a fictional story with some historical basis. This book was a little hard for me to get into at the beginning, but worth it in the end
Djibril
I believe the central idea in Things Fall Apart by Chinua Achebe is that the world is constantly changing. One will need to adapt to those changes in order to thrive. This book takes place in a small village in what is now Nigeria during the imperialist era. The book is told by an omniscient author. There is no protagonist but the main character is a warrior named Okrafor. This book describes Okafor’s adult life. There isn’t any main plot throughout the story. I found the story very odd. I’ve ne...more
Patricia
I didn't love this as much as I wanted to, especially since it seems to now be on every high school reading list. The story of an African tribe that is steeped in tradition and then must face change with the coming of the white man does hold some interest. The meticulous detail of the tribal culture is fascinating. For me, however, the characters were not very finely drawn, so in the end, the coming of the white man never reached the tragic level that it must have done in real life. One of those...more
Tana
Breath taking on the deep rooted culture in Africa
Tori Montes
I think the appeal of this book is that it talks about a time in history when colonization of Africa was taking place. I didn't like the protagonist at all. He was cruel and got no sympathy from me. I would have liked it to be told by a more sympathetic character, But it rang true for the protagonist
Bruno
an excellent book! An authentic immersive experience into the African culture at the turn the 19th Century. Achebe masterfully introduces the Igbo language in the text, making you relate to the story without being aware of it.

I highly recommend the book.
Angie Mclane
I went into this book thinking I would hate it. I only read it because my students were reading it for summer reading. Little did I know I would be sucked into the story --so much so I was disappointed when it ended. What a great little novel.
Nash Bandong
The book was amazing. It contained elements that made me understand how important but dangerous pride was among men. It showed us that in every moment when one feels bliss, things will start to fall apart.
Tasha
After reading about Chinue Achebe's death last weekend I decided to read this as it's been sitting on my e-reader for a while and I never got around to it.
The story follows a man (Okonkwo) in an African tribe around the turn of the nineteenth century, his attempts to overcome the clan's perception of his father, the raising of his family, his exile, and the effect of colonisation on the tribe in the later part of the book.
I've never read any African fiction or really anything like this before, s...more
Amy Smallwood
The first of this sort of book that I have read. It definitely went in a direction that I did not expect. It will make you think twice about things we normally see as a "good thing".
Jennifer Smoliga
I really liked it. It gave a look into a different world then the western world and how they are still able to survive. The influences of the west isn't needed to make them grow.
Mweshi
I love African literature and Chinua Achebe is one of the greatest writers our continent has ever been blessed with. This book evoked so much emotion from me!
Jane Brewer
I know this is supposed to be an important African book but I couldn't get into it. The names were difficult for me and I just didn't like the story or care about the characters.
Rani
Okonkwo is a young leader in Nigeria who seems to be destined for a high level of success. His idea of life is driven by his perception of his father's weakness and his attempt to distance himself from that softness. Over time, his life deteriorates and his community is negatively affected by the appearance and settlement of Europeans into the village.

James Hall
The book left me breathless! Incredible writer!
Nicole Boone
A very potent yet depressing read.
Adriana Paramo
Every page smells of Africa. Simple, no frills language, yet, so evocative, so descriptive.
Miss
an amazing african work
Joe Dyer
Part African parable, part treatise on the tragedy that is/was colonization. An incomparably powerful and affecting work. And has one of the most poignant final sentences I've ever read.
Nelleke
A book about an african tribe during the colonisation of the European. Told through the eyes of the african people and describing the impact on their tribe. Interesting to read.
Lauren Kells
I don't know how or why it took me so long to read this book. It was quietly devastating.
  • Rights of Man, Common Sense and Other Political Writings
  • Niubi!: The Real Chinese You Were Never Taught in School
  • Harriet
  • Pinocchio in Venice
  • The House of Hunger
  • The Pied Piper of Hamelin
  • Notes from the Hyena's Belly: An Ethiopian Boyhood
  • Astonishing the Gods
  • Confessions of a Wall Street Analyst: A True Story of Inside Information and Corruption in the Stock Market
  • Obama Zombies: How the Liberal Machine Brainwashed My Generation
  • In Custody
  • The Art of Fiction: A Guide for Writers and Readers
  • The Feng Shui Detective
  • The Harvest Gypsies: On the Road to The Grapes of Wrath
  • My Antonia / O Pioneers!
  • Sherlock Holmes and the King's Evil: And Other New Tales Featuring the World's Greatest Detective (Sherlock Holmes, #4)
  • Black Is the New White
  • A History of Zionism: From the French Revolution to the Establishment of the State of Israel
Achebe and the Politics of Representation Ayi Kwei Armah, Radical Iconoclast: Pitting the Imaginary Worlds against the Actual Art, Society, and Performance: Igede Praise Poetry Intertextuality in Contemporary African Literature Helping Students to Write Successful Paper Titles