Louie

Louie (Louie #1)

3.87 of 5 stars 3.87  ·  rating details  ·  120 ratings  ·  15 reviews
Susie and Roberto are putting on a puppet show and all of their friends have come to see it, including she Louie. As the show begins, Louie becomes fascinated by the smiling puppet Gussie and shouts "Hello!" in front of a silent audience. After the show, Louie goes home and dreams about Gussie. When he wakes up, he discovers that his friends have left a gift for him. This...more
Published March 30th 2004 by Puffin (first published 1975)

To ask other readers questions about Louie, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Louie

Pinocchio by Carlo CollodiSplendors and Glooms by Laura Amy SchlitzThe Magic Toyshop by Angela CarterThe Puppeteer's Apprentice by D. Anne LoveThe Weed That Strings the Hangman's Bag by Alan Bradley
Puppets
6th out of 26 books — 1 voter
The Snowy Day by Ezra Jack KeatsPeter's Chair by Ezra Jack KeatsWhistle for Willie by Ezra Jack KeatsJohn Henry by Ezra Jack KeatsMy Dog is Lost! by Ezra Jack Keats
Best of Ezra Jack Keats
16th out of 27 books — 3 voters

More lists with this book...

Anna
It's a quiet book, but one that I would love to discuss with children. Louie is a quiet boy who does not say much, so it's quite surprising when he immediately becomes taken with a puppet named Gussie at Susie and Roberto's puppet show. The other children laugh at his peculiar outburst. Ezra Jack Keats does a wonderful job of helping the reader empathize with Louie without having to spell everything out for you or hit you over the head with a moral. It's a simple, yet thoughtful story. Excellent...more
Alice
3.5 Stars

As always I love Ezra Jack Keats artwork. I like the layers and textures. I had to read this book twice because I got distracted. The first time was thinking "WHAT" Then when I read it, it touched my heart. Very Sweet, fun, just an over all good book. Why couldn't I give it a higher score..I think it comes down to I liked it but didn't love it. It wouldn't be one of those must have, must must save and share with the Grandkids sort of book but still really nice and worth reading.
Rachel
I picked up this freebie book at the deGrummond Collection's (at the University of Southern Mississippi) special exhibit on Ezra Jack Keats, which I saw about 3 years ago, but never got around to reading it. I picked it up to read to my son the other day, but I must say it is not one of my favorites of his work. Susie and Roberto are putting on a puppet show with a mouse puppet and baby puppet named Gussie. Louie, a younger child in the audience, just falls in love with Gussie and can't resist t...more
Robert
This is the first of the 'Louie Series', a spinoff from the popular 'Peter Series' set in the same colorful New York neighborhood. Louie is quiet, shy and lonely and in need of a friend. Will he find one at a puppet show?
Gregory Rothbard
The pictures are truly wonderfully Ezra Jack Keats, but the story is just not that great.
Amy Poulin
Louie is a story about a boy names Louie that never spoke. Then as the puppet show that Roberto and Susie’s were putting on for their friends Louie got up and spoke to the Gussie the puppet. Louie really likes Gussie. Louie finds a note under his door asking him to go outside and follow the string. There was a surprise for Louie at the end of the string.

Activities:
- Word wall with vocab words from the story
-Flannel board story- retelling the sequence of events in the story
- reenact the story wit...more
Robyn Simmons
Nov 26, 2008 Robyn Simmons rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: primary readers
This story tells about a young boy with an extremely vivid imagination. Once again Ezra Jack Keats does great illustrations. This story could be used as a read aloud that encourages young boys to imagine and enjoy reading. Students can make great personal connections to this story.
Megan Zimmerman
A great way to teach students about loving one another and sharing. A great story about Louie, who goes to his friends puppet show, and loves the main character Gussie. He goes home and dreams about Gussie, only to wake up and find that his friends have left him a present.
Gala
This had to be Louie first time at a puppet show. I like the way the children handled his outburst.I love the reaction of Children when they see puppet shows and bubbles blown. This book can starts some arts and crafts by making puppets and even doing a show.
Ai-ling
A friend reminded me of this book. From doing puppet shows at libraries and schools, I have seen for myself that all kinds of children, especially those slow to talk, love puppets! Keats seems to have experienced this too.
Angela
This is another great story basket book. Your can also do some great creative writing activities where students describe their own puppets. You can make your own puppets in class as well. Many options.
Brittany
I would use this book as a lesson on puppets and have an activity creating a puppet show using their imagination and creativity.
Norrie
Apr 14, 2008 Norrie rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: milan
I still have my copy from the end of the 1970'ies...
Clementine
Good story about someone who finds what he needs.
Christopher Maxwell
Christopher Maxwell marked it as to-read
Aug 13, 2014
Sarah marked it as to-read
Jul 23, 2014
Amanda
Amanda marked it as to-read
Jul 31, 2014
Nutan Keshari
Nutan Keshari marked it as to-read
Jul 18, 2014
Jane
Jane marked it as to-read
Jun 04, 2014
Courtney
Courtney marked it as to-read
May 26, 2014
Ashleyd
Ashleyd marked it as to-read
May 24, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
FROM WEBSITE:
Long before multicultural characters and themes were fashionable, Ezra Jack Keats crossed social boundaries by being the first American picture-book maker to give the black child a central place in children’s literature.

In the books that Keats wrote and illustrated, he used his special artistic techniques to portray his subjects in a unique manner. One of these was his blending of gou...more
More about Ezra Jack Keats...
The Snowy Day Whistle for Willie Peter's Chair The Little Drummer Boy Goggles!