Start by marking “Sweet Everlasting” as Want to Read:
Sweet Everlasting

Sweet Everlasting

3.58 of 5 stars 3.58  ·  rating details  ·  270 ratings  ·  25 reviews
Love's healing touch...

Carrie Wiggins is as shy as she is stunningly beautiful. But the devastating secret that shattered her girlhood has left her terrified of the very love she desperately longs for. Only in the wild beauty of the mountains does she feel safe from the feelings she stirs in men and the cruel mockery of Wayne's Crossing's villagers.

Handsome, aristocratic T
Published April 1st 2001 by Signet (first published 1993)

To ask other readers questions about Sweet Everlasting, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Sweet Everlasting

Twiggy
This is a book that I should have liked better than I actually did.

Upon reflection I think that much of this had to do with the fact that the heroine was simply too sweet and self sacrificing for her own good.

Warning spoilers:

Dr Tyler Wilkes moves to small town Pennsylvania where he comes across the pretty but mute Carrie Wiggins, who lives up the mountain with her drunken step father.

There is initial relationship building with Carrie presenting as shy and retiring. She is socially isolated du
Noelle
This is the third book by Patricia Gaffney that I've read and loved.

Carrie (h) at 18 she is a loner,recluse and a mute. She lives high up on a mountain with her abusive stepfather. Most people in town either tease her or don't under stand her,she has very few friends and she keeps to herself . When a new doctor comes to town she's intrigued by him , he's nice to her and it didn't seem to matter to him that she can't talk.

Tyler (H) has decided to take up residence as the country doctor,not exact
Mariachiara
Sarebbe stato un libro da quattro stelline per l'argomento trattato e i protagonisti, ne ho tolta una per la parte finale dove la protagonista si fa troppo pregare e si tira per le lunghe qualcosa che era già bello così.

Mi è piaciuto molto che il protagonista fosse un medico, ma che volesse fare il ricercatore in un periodo storico in cui non era certo una carriera ben vista ma anzi molte volte mortale. Lui vuole indagare sull'origine della febbre gialla e ci riuscirà. Poi è anche bello che nono
Laylah
The book starts out great with two perfectly nice people gently falling in love with each other. Then before I know it spirals into this extremely angsy, soap opera-ish drama. The exclamation at the end by the hero himself sums it best, what a circus.
Maureen Bauer
This was light reading, and sometimes in the summer I enjoy something light and not too detailed. It is the story of a young Doctor, wounded while fighting with Teddy Roosevelt's Rough Riders on San Juan Hill. He went to fill in as the doctor in a small farming community in Pennsylvania. This little community has it's quirks and layers of wealth and poverty like any community in the early 1900's. But The doctor meets a young woman who is the step-daughter of the community drunk, who both live wa ...more
D
a sweet lullaby of a love story.

this book reminded me a lot in tone of the movie winter's bone, though the plots are nothing alike. the book's about a mute girl who lives in the appalachian mountains with her horrible step-father, and she befriends the town doctor and epidemiologist, a former rough rider who's suffering the after-effects of yellow fever.

the privation and stark beauty of the mountains are what made me think of winter's bone, so i couldn't help but see the protagonist, carrie, as
Lori Kurochkina
This is the first Patricia Gaffney book that I have read, and I really, really liked this story. The storyline and setting were so different from the majority of other historical romances being put out these days. I absolutely loved the personality of the characters. They all seemed very realistic... the hero was actually a nice guy and the heroine was just so innocent and sweet. It was such a nice break for me, instead of the typical ice princesses, super annoying leading ladies, cheating arrog ...more
Danielle Hawkins-hernandez
Wish I could get my money back on this one. My was so great that I could not finish it. I absolutely hate books when either the H or h think they are too good for the other.

1. The H is self-centered.

2. The h belongs in a Disney cartoon; all the wild animals flock to her. ( I think she even breaks out into song a few times.)

3. The H and h do a lot of sitting around talking of flowers.
Marianne
I could maybe make myself finish this book, but it has turned me off at about page 190. This is basically a story about a man who takes advantage of a girl who is much younger than he. I've read quite a few historicals now, mainly regencies that are frequently about girls this same age marrying men who are many years older. There is a difference with this story, though. In other stories the young women are much more sophisticated and experienced. In her heart and mind, Carrie is a child, and Tyl ...more
Tina
The book started off wonderfully, the middle was good, but towards the end, it kind of dragged on & on. I will enjoy reading it again. All in all, its a keeper.
Eva
There was no connection to the characters or the story. Simply indifference
Pagan
Rating: 1/10
Boring, Uneventful and Poor
Christy
What a treat to read a historical set somewhere other than Regency England or the American Old West. This turn-of-the-20th-century novel features a Rough Rider hero who is now a country doctor in rural Pennsylvania who dreams of becoming an epidemiologist. He is motivated by his experience in the Spanish-American war, where 13x more of his fellow soldiers were killed by yellow fever than by enemy fire. I learned about Walter Reed's claim to fame and was treated to a difficult but satisfying roma ...more
Kat
A touching love story, beautifully written. Patricia Gaffney is an exceptionally gifted writer, and these characters live, no question. Read it if you like romance novels with depth, and nuance. Possibly not to everyone's taste, I love this book.
Skye Brumley
Slow in parts but mainly to set the scene and i am as always impatient to get to the part where the main characters learn they can't live without each other.
Sharron Kennard
Pure sap. Why do I keep picking up used books like this? I'm always disappointed. I have lists of award winners and I should stick to those lists.
Lynn Weber
Nice historical romance about a wealthy young doctor who comes to a small town to practice and meets a mysterious mute young woman.
Kathy
Pretty good Sunday afternoon read. It's listed as 'historical fiction' but it's more romance novel than historical fiction.
Lori
I dont know if I have read this before or if the shy/mute country girl is so overused it just seemed familiar.
Jan
Jun 19, 2012 Jan rated it 3 of 5 stars
Shelves: 2012
I enjoyed the story, until the frustrating best-ending. heroine a little different, but too selfsacrificing.
Erdahs
Mar 14, 2014 Erdahs marked it as lost-interest  ·  review of another edition
DNFing this. It's not BAD, I just don't care about these people or what happens to them.
Sandy
Cute, but the heroine and the hero were a little annoying at times.
Whitney
A really great romance novel.
beppy
beppy marked it as to-read
Nov 26, 2014
Priscilla
Priscilla marked it as to-read
Nov 21, 2014
Nellie
Nellie marked it as to-read
Nov 14, 2014
  • Midsummer Moon
  • The Coming Home Place
  • The Price Of Desire
  • When There is Hope
  • The Heart Breaker (Rocky Mountain, #2)
  • Daniel's Bride
  • Sing My Name
Patricia Gaffney was born in Tampa, Florida, and grew up in Bethesda, Maryland, a suburb of Washington, D.C. She earned a bachelor’s degree in English and philosophy from Marymount College in Tarrytown, New York, and also studied literature at Royal Holloway College of the University of London, at George Washington University, and at the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill.

After college, G
More about Patricia Gaffney...
The Saving Graces Circle of Three To Have and To Hold (Wyckerley Trilogy, #2) The Goodbye Summer Flight Lessons