Start by marking “Sweet Everlasting” as Want to Read:
Sweet Everlasting

Sweet Everlasting

Love's healing touch...

Carrie Wiggins is as shy as she is stunningly beautiful. But the devastating secret that shattered her girlhood has left her terrified of the very love she desperately longs for. Only in the wild beauty of the mountains does she feel safe from the feelings she stirs in men and the cruel mockery of Wayne's Crossing's villagers.

Handsome, aristocratic T
Published April 1st 2001 by Signet (first published 1993)

To ask other readers questions about Sweet Everlasting, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Sweet Everlasting

Twiggy
This is a book that I should have liked better than I actually did.

Upon reflection I think that much of this had to do with the fact that the heroine was simply too sweet and self sacrificing for her own good.

Warning spoilers:

Dr Tyler Wilkes moves to small town Pennsylvania where he comes across the pretty but mute Carrie Wiggins, who lives up the mountain with her drunken step father.

There is initial relationship building with Carrie presenting as shy and retiring. She is socially isolated du
Noelle
This is the third book by Patricia Gaffney that I've read and loved.

Carrie (h) at 18 she is a loner,recluse and a mute. She lives high up on a mountain with her abusive stepfather. Most people in town either tease her or don't under stand her,she has very few friends and she keeps to herself . When a new doctor comes to town she's intrigued by him , he's nice to her and it didn't seem to matter to him that she can't talk.

Tyler (H) has decided to take up residence as the country doctor,not exact
Laylah
Nov 20, 2011 Laylah rated it liked it
The book starts out great with two perfectly nice people gently falling in love with each other. Then before I know it spirals into this extremely angsy, soap opera-ish drama. The exclamation at the end by the hero himself sums it best, what a circus.
D
Jun 07, 2012 D rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
a sweet lullaby of a love story.

this book reminded me a lot in tone of the movie winter's bone, though the plots are nothing alike. the book's about a mute girl who lives in the appalachian mountains with her horrible step-father, and she befriends the town doctor and epidemiologist, a former rough rider who's suffering the after-effects of yellow fever.

the privation and stark beauty of the mountains are what made me think of winter's bone, so i couldn't help but see the protagonist, carrie, as
Lucimar
Sep 06, 2014 Lucimar rated it really liked it
A autora neste romance adentrou num mundo montanhoso de Wayne's Crossings, e em meio a uma florestas luxuriante ela juntou Carrie, uma garota inteligente e aparentemente muda, profundamente infeliz que vivia em meio a pobreza com seu odioso padrasto que era um aficionado religioso, além de bebum e violento - e Tyler, médico rico que foi lutar em Havana(Cuba) e lá contraiu a Febre Amarela, e porque que não gostava de atuar no meio social do qual viera, ou seja, uma rica e tradicional família da F ...more
Mariachiara
Feb 09, 2014 Mariachiara rated it liked it
Sarebbe stato un libro da quattro stelline per l'argomento trattato e i protagonisti, ne ho tolta una per la parte finale dove la protagonista si fa troppo pregare e si tira per le lunghe qualcosa che era già bello così.

Mi è piaciuto molto che il protagonista fosse un medico, ma che volesse fare il ricercatore in un periodo storico in cui non era certo una carriera ben vista ma anzi molte volte mortale. Lui vuole indagare sull'origine della febbre gialla e ci riuscirà. Poi è anche bello che nono
Lorka
Dec 30, 2013 Lorka rated it it was amazing
Shelves: my-keeper-shelf
This is the first Patricia Gaffney book that I have read, and I really, really liked this story. The storyline and setting were so different from the majority of other historical romances being put out these days. I absolutely loved the personality of the characters. They all seemed very realistic... the hero was actually a nice guy and the heroine was just so innocent and sweet. It was such a nice break for me, instead of the typical ice princesses, super annoying leading ladies, cheating arrog ...more
Gail
I can't remember ever reading this before so I don't think I have, which surprises me, but I'd think the elements of the research into yellow fever plus the plot line of poor mute mountain girl and rich doctor would have stayed with me somewhere. So the hero was in Teddy Roosevelt's Rough Riders and caught yellow fever in Cuba, as well as getting shot and wounded. He's still recovering when he comes to take over a practice in a small Pennsylvania town, and meets the local mute girl soon after hi ...more
Maureen Bauer
Sep 14, 2014 Maureen Bauer rated it it was ok
This was light reading, and sometimes in the summer I enjoy something light and not too detailed. It is the story of a young Doctor, wounded while fighting with Teddy Roosevelt's Rough Riders on San Juan Hill. He went to fill in as the doctor in a small farming community in Pennsylvania. This little community has it's quirks and layers of wealth and poverty like any community in the early 1900's. But The doctor meets a young woman who is the step-daughter of the community drunk, who both live wa ...more
Christy
Oct 14, 2012 Christy rated it really liked it
What a treat to read a historical set somewhere other than Regency England or the American Old West. This turn-of-the-20th-century novel features a Rough Rider hero who is now a country doctor in rural Pennsylvania who dreams of becoming an epidemiologist. He is motivated by his experience in the Spanish-American war, where 13x more of his fellow soldiers were killed by yellow fever than by enemy fire. I learned about Walter Reed's claim to fame and was treated to a difficult but satisfying roma ...more
Danielle Hawkins-hernandez
Wish I could get my money back on this one. My was so great that I could not finish it. I absolutely hate books when either the H or h think they are too good for the other.

1. The H is self-centered.

2. The h belongs in a Disney cartoon; all the wild animals flock to her. ( I think she even breaks out into song a few times.)

3. The H and h do a lot of sitting around talking of flowers.
Kate
Apr 21, 2016 Kate rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
O M G, Gaffney is the best there is

The people are real in this wonderful book, the story flows naturally, the emotions are strong and true, but there is a flaw, because it ends when you just want it to go on and on. I will read everything she has written, because she is the best romance writer there is.
Kat
Feb 08, 2013 Kat rated it it was amazing
A touching love story, beautifully written. Patricia Gaffney is an exceptionally gifted writer, and these characters live, no question. Read it if you like romance novels with depth, and nuance. Possibly not to everyone's taste, I love this book.
Tina
Nov 01, 2014 Tina rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: library
The book started off wonderfully, the middle was good, but towards the end, it kind of dragged on & on. I will enjoy reading it again. All in all, its a keeper.
Lori
May 13, 2012 Lori rated it it was ok
I dont know if I have read this before or if the shy/mute country girl is so overused it just seemed familiar.
Kathy
Jun 02, 2013 Kathy rated it liked it
Pretty good Sunday afternoon read. It's listed as 'historical fiction' but it's more romance novel than historical fiction.
Skye
Oct 20, 2012 Skye added it
Slow in parts but mainly to set the scene and i am as always impatient to get to the part where the main characters learn they can't live without each other.
Jan
Jun 19, 2012 Jan rated it liked it
Shelves: 2012
I enjoyed the story, until the frustrating best-ending. heroine a little different, but too selfsacrificing.
Amy Schexnider
Apr 28, 2015 Amy Schexnider rated it really liked it
Nice change from the normal historical. Hero is a doctor and heroine is quiet,odd girl from small town.
Sharron Kennard
Aug 18, 2013 Sharron Kennard rated it did not like it
Shelves: g-authors
Pure sap. Why do I keep picking up used books like this? I'm always disappointed. I have lists of award winners and I should stick to those lists.
Lynn Weber
Apr 05, 2013 Lynn Weber rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: romance
Nice historical romance about a wealthy young doctor who comes to a small town to practice and meets a mysterious mute young woman.
Kathy Greene
Kathy Greene rated it did not like it
Dec 26, 2015
Jordan
Jordan rated it it was amazing
Jan 14, 2016
Sandi
Sandi rated it liked it
May 03, 2013
Laurie
Laurie rated it liked it
Nov 12, 2011
Katharina
Katharina rated it really liked it
Nov 26, 2010
Jennifer rated it really liked it
May 05, 2015
Maura
Maura rated it it was ok
Oct 15, 2012
BookJunkieGrl
BookJunkieGrl rated it liked it
Jun 26, 2014
Mai
Mai rated it really liked it
Oct 23, 2012
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »
Romance Novel Boo...: This topic has been closed to new comments. SOLVED!!Looking for a book about a mute girl. 4 38 Aug 26, 2014 03:27PM
  • Garters (Small Town Swains)
  • The Wives of Bowie Stone
  • My Sweet Folly
  • Beast
  • The Coming Home Place
  • Parting Gifts
  • The Heart Breaker (Rocky Mountain, #2)
  • Hester Waring's Marriage
  • A Reason to Live (Forrester Brothers, #1)
  • The Pleasures of Sin
  • Ritual Sins
  • Golden Fancy
  • Creole Fires (Southern, #1)
Patricia Gaffney was born in Tampa, Florida, and grew up in Bethesda, Maryland, a suburb of Washington, D.C. She earned a bachelor’s degree in English and philosophy from Marymount College in Tarrytown, New York, and also studied literature at Royal Holloway College of the University of London, at George Washington University, and at the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill.

After college, G
More about Patricia Gaffney...