Knee Deep in Paradise

Knee Deep in Paradise

3.66 of 5 stars 3.66  ·  rating details  ·  205 ratings  ·  20 reviews
A best-selling autobiography by the stand-up comedienne and star of the sitcom Grace Under Fire recounts her coming-of-age in the South, her abusive first marriage, and her rise to television celebrity. Reprint. PW.
Published April 1st 1997 by Hyperion (first published January 1st 1996)

Valissa
"I threw my virginity out of the speeding car that was my life"
Shani
I enjoyed this book quite a bit. She didn't say much about being part of Grace Under Fire but I guess that it doesn't really pertain to the story she was telling about her life. I only somewhat knew what her life was like before she became famous. She's come a long way and worked really hard to be who she is now.

I was fortunate enough to meet Brett about 7 years ago and she was one of the sweetest and nicest celebrities I've ever met. I met her when she was staying at the hotel I was working at...more
Michael Nalbone
It was darker than expected, but made me realize what do I have to complain about?
Leslie
Jul 30, 2007 Leslie rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition Recommends it for: Brett Butler fans
I enjoyed this book because I have always enjoyed Brett Butler's stand-up. I thought it was interesting that she was raised in Tuskegee, a primarily black town (but was born in Montgomery about 40 miles down the road). Now that I live about 20 miles from Tuskegee, it makes it kind of cool. I always like reading about Alabama people and comedians, so this was a win-win for me. I don't remember a whole lot about the book, other than I liked it.
Mike
I read this book in between two epic WW2 books that i needed a break from. i enjoyed this memoir a lot. This was a great and concisely written memoir. She didn't harbor on a single event in her life, but rather mentioned and explained the interesting bits. Knowing hardly anything about Brett I was rather impressed by how well she wrote.
Jess
A friend just returned this book to me, which I estimate I read & loaned to him in about 1997! I'd completely forgotten about it, but when I got it back, I remember being impressed with Ms. Butler's writing style & her seemingly objective look at her own life.
Rae
An uncommonly well-written celebrity bio from the television star and stand-up comic Brett Butler. She has battled drug and alchohol abuse, suffered through an abusive marriage, and continues to heal from her dysfunctional Southern family environment.
Hallie Huffman
This book came at just the right time in my life. Anyone living under the tyranny of their spouse will recognize themselves in this book, and if you are a hick (like me) it just might be disturbing how much you can actually relate!
Theadra
I have bought this book twice. I'd loaned it and it wasn't returned. Butler is a really great writer and I wish she'd write something again. I think this book is as good as any southern gothic novel I've read.
Melissa
Got this one at a dollar store. Another one of the comedian/sitcom star/authors of the 90s. It's a miracle of the human condition, the connection between laughter and tears, heartbreak and humor.
Meen
I got this one before I got sober, but after Peg got sober, so it was a little uncomfortable reading about Brett Butler's alcoholism and recovery... I was still in denial, of course.
Elizabeth
Her life was hard, but that's no excuse.

BTW, that's just a joke. I have nothing personally against Brett or her book.
Lynne
loved this book...she's a very funny lady who has lived a difficult life....and managed to come out on top
Linda
Heard her discuss this on a talk show and found her story to be interesting; although, I hadn't been a fan.
Dawn Betts-Green
One of my favorite autobiographies and comedians of all time. Need more stars to click!
Coleen
I never was intrested in Brett Butles, but her story is a good one.
Etienne
this book is really great found it hard to put down
Crista
This incredible woman has been through A LOT!
The Arcane Master
Funny as hell, and a bit tragic as well.
Megan
really awesome and intriguing book.
Rhonda
This was good. Not a, "I can't put this down type of book", but decent.
Nett
Nett added it
Apr 08, 2014
Shannon
Shannon marked it as to-read
Apr 01, 2014
Nicole Mays
Nicole Mays is currently reading it
Mar 30, 2014
Bea
Bea marked it as to-read
Mar 18, 2014
Jhowery2
Jhowery2 marked it as to-read
Mar 16, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
Field of Hope: An Inspiring Autobiography of a Lifetime of Overcoming Odds Brett Butler Presents: The Southern Belles of Comedy A Nationwide Location Data Base And Service Library And Patron Response To The Com Catalog: Use And Evaluation: Report Of A Field Study Of The Los Angeles County Public Library System Area Changes for Forest Cover Types in the United States, 1952 to 1997, with Projections to 2050