Start by marking “Knee Deep in Paradise” as Want to Read:
Knee Deep in Paradise

Knee Deep in Paradise

3.72  ·  Rating Details  ·  280 Ratings  ·  29 Reviews
A best-selling autobiography by the stand-up comedienne and star of the sitcom Grace Under Fire recounts her coming-of-age in the South, her abusive first marriage, and her rise to television celebrity. Reprint. PW.
Published April 1st 1997 by Hyperion (first published January 1st 1996)

To ask other readers questions about Knee Deep in Paradise, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Knee Deep in Paradise

ReGina Welling
Aug 29, 2014 ReGina Welling rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is one of my all time favorite memoirs. Painfully honest, sensitive but strong and deliciously flawed, Butler speaks with immense vulnerability as she tells her story.

I've never written a fan letter, but for this book, I might be tempted.
Valissa
Oct 25, 2010 Valissa rated it really liked it
"I threw my virginity out of the speeding car that was my life"
Shani
Aug 05, 2011 Shani rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed this book quite a bit. She didn't say much about being part of Grace Under Fire but I guess that it doesn't really pertain to the story she was telling about her life. I only somewhat knew what her life was like before she became famous. She's come a long way and worked really hard to be who she is now.

I was fortunate enough to meet Brett about 7 years ago and she was one of the sweetest and nicest celebrities I've ever met. I met her when she was staying at the hotel I was working at
Em
Jul 19, 2014 Em rated it it was amazing
The gal can write!! I hope one day she tackles a work of fiction. I connected to her story right away. As I am in the process of coming to terms with my own addiction I could related to the feelings she had about her alcoholism. And even though my father stayed with the family, I felt I understood, because though my father was physically present during my youth, he felt emotionally distant and offered a connection only on his terms which was hard for me to do. When I got to the passage she wrote ...more
Lisa James
This autobio by Brett herself is a pretty powerful read. It's FULL of the horrors she went through, the abuse she suffered at the hands of her first husband, & it turns out her Mom was also battered, the girls just didn't SEE it, & her search for family answers about the father she never really knew well.
Kaethe
Jul 09, 2014 Kaethe rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I quite like Brett Butler and her comedic persona. She's funny. If you're looking for a celebrity memoir of alcoholism and sobering up, you could no doubt read something much worse.
Brian Gryphon
Apr 21, 2015 Brian Gryphon rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I read this as a hardcover shortly after it came out...recently found her on Twitter. Seems she still acts a bit but has also developed her spiritual side.
Gail
The very talented Brett Butler writes a memoir worth reading. I particularly enjoyed her description of the comedy scene on the east coast.
Stephanie
Feb 09, 2015 Stephanie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Loved this book.
I wish there was second book to see where she is now.
Michael Nalbone
Jan 31, 2014 Michael Nalbone rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It was darker than expected, but made me realize what do I have to complain about?
Leslie
Jul 30, 2007 Leslie rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Brett Butler fans
I enjoyed this book because I have always enjoyed Brett Butler's stand-up. I thought it was interesting that she was raised in Tuskegee, a primarily black town (but was born in Montgomery about 40 miles down the road). Now that I live about 20 miles from Tuskegee, it makes it kind of cool. I always like reading about Alabama people and comedians, so this was a win-win for me. I don't remember a whole lot about the book, other than I liked it.
Mike
Apr 05, 2013 Mike rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I read this book in between two epic WW2 books that i needed a break from. i enjoyed this memoir a lot. This was a great and concisely written memoir. She didn't harbor on a single event in her life, but rather mentioned and explained the interesting bits. Knowing hardly anything about Brett I was rather impressed by how well she wrote.
Diane Wachter
Knee Deep In Paradise, Brett Butler, Audio Bk-B, @ 1996, 4/02. Autobiography, a memoir of survival, comedienne relates her life of childhood abuse, domestic abuse, addiction, and survival. Very good.
Jess
Oct 18, 2013 Jess rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A friend just returned this book to me, which I estimate I read & loaned to him in about 1997! I'd completely forgotten about it, but when I got it back, I remember being impressed with Ms. Butler's writing style & her seemingly objective look at her own life.
Rae
Aug 02, 2008 Rae rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: bio-memoir
An uncommonly well-written celebrity bio from the television star and stand-up comic Brett Butler. She has battled drug and alchohol abuse, suffered through an abusive marriage, and continues to heal from her dysfunctional Southern family environment.
Hallie Huffman
Jan 10, 2014 Hallie Huffman rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: funny
This book came at just the right time in my life. Anyone living under the tyranny of their spouse will recognize themselves in this book, and if you are a hick (like me) it just might be disturbing how much you can actually relate!
Theadra
Mar 14, 2008 Theadra rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I have bought this book twice. I'd loaned it and it wasn't returned. Butler is a really great writer and I wish she'd write something again. I think this book is as good as any southern gothic novel I've read.
Melissa
Got this one at a dollar store. Another one of the comedian/sitcom star/authors of the 90s. It's a miracle of the human condition, the connection between laughter and tears, heartbreak and humor.
Meen
I got this one before I got sober, but after Peg got sober, so it was a little uncomfortable reading about Brett Butler's alcoholism and recovery... I was still in denial, of course.
Elizabeth
Her life was hard, but that's no excuse.

BTW, that's just a joke. I have nothing personally against Brett or her book.
Lynne
May 21, 2011 Lynne rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
loved this book...she's a very funny lady who has lived a difficult life....and managed to come out on top
Linda
Nov 04, 2010 Linda rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Heard her discuss this on a talk show and found her story to be interesting; although, I hadn't been a fan.
Dawn Betts-Green (Dinosaur in the Library)
One of my favorite autobiographies and comedians of all time. Need more stars to click!
Coleen
Mar 11, 2009 Coleen rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I never was intrested in Brett Butles, but her story is a good one.
Etienne
this book is really great found it hard to put down
Crista
Jul 23, 2008 Crista rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This incredible woman has been through A LOT!
The Arcane Master
Jun 24, 2008 The Arcane Master rated it liked it
Funny as hell, and a bit tragic as well.
Megan
Aug 03, 2011 Megan rated it liked it
really awesome and intriguing book.
Rhonda
Jul 19, 2008 Rhonda rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was good. Not a, "I can't put this down type of book", but decent.
Therese
Therese rated it really liked it
Apr 26, 2016
  • The Real Diana
  • Crash Diet
  • Ithaka: A Daughter's Memoir of Being Found
  • The Murder of Princess Diana
  • Will There Really Be a Morning?