Start by marking “Tu Mama Es Una Llama? (Spanish Edition)” as Want to Read:
Blank 133x176
Tu Mama Es Una Llama?

Deborah Guarino

Tu Mama Es Una Llama? (Spanish Edition)

4.16  ·  Rating Details ·  19,352 Ratings  ·  392 Reviews
With humorous rhymes, six lovable animals help Lloyd the llama discover what kind of animal his mama is.
Audio Cassette
Published by Weston Woods Press (CT) (first published January 1st 1989)

To ask other readers questions about Tu Mama Es Una Llama?, please sign up.

Jean Baue Yes. The llama goes to all his animal friends and asks them. It teaches children that kind begets kind.

Sophia Triad
Jan 14, 2017 Sophia Triad rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children
Little Lloyd tries to guess what kind of animal everyone’s mama really is:
“Is your mama a llama?”

So he discovers that the mothers of his friends are: bat, swan, cow, seal, kangaroo and of course a llama.

The first time you read it with your child, she/he probably try to guess the name of the animal's mother. It will be like a game. The second time you read it, she/he will probably remember :)

Cute, little book with rhymes.
Perfect for spelling and for beginners in reading.
Rhythmical riddles and b
Eva Leger
Jun 09, 2010 Eva Leger rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: kids who like to rhyme "llama" and "mama"
Shelves: julias-books
This reminds me (and Julia by the way) an awful lot of the Anna Dewdney books. Or, I should say that Dewdney's books remind me an awful lot of this book because I *think* this came first. I understand that writing a book that consists of "llama mama's" doesn't give one the sole right to "llama mama" books but I don't know, there is a striking similiarity if you ask me.
Anyway, I for one like that rhyme. A lot. It just has a real nice ring to it and it's funny as hell. Julia's taken to, on and of
Sabrina
Dec 09, 2014 Sabrina rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a cute short story. Love the rhymes and illustrations :)
Linda Abhors the New GR Design
Pictures are darling. The rhyme in Spanish is a bit forced because of the stress, but for the most part, it still works.
Jessica Richards
Feb 02, 2012 Jessica Richards rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: pattern-book
Is Your Mama a Llama? is a children's book about animals written by Deborah Guarino. In the book, Lloyd the llama is very interested in what kind of animals all of his friends mama's are. She begins asking every friend that she sees if their mama is a llama but she finds that all of the friends she asks do not have llama's as mama's. She asks every friend that she knows about their mama until she comes to the last friend who has a special surprise for her about her mama that she didn't realize. ...more
Sue
Apr 20, 2010 Sue rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a great story for young readers to listen to and to read themselves. It is full of fun rhyming riddles. This is a classic. Lloyd the baby llama meets a different animal on every page; Lloyd asks them, “Is your mama a llama?” The rhyming riddles the animals give Lloyd help him to guess what kind of animal everyone’s mama really is. When he asks his friend Llyn the llama his question he finally gets the answer he has been waiting to hear.
Uses for Is Your Mama a Llama?: (Read-Aloud Compreh
Crystal Allen
The first time this book came on my radar was when Patrica Arquette was reading it to her daughter on the show Medium. It had such a fun rythm to it that I vowed to look for it the next time I was in a bookstore. Over the summer I was in a used bookstore in Steveston and found it in paperback for $2.00. I had to buy it.

This book sits on my bedside table and I frequently read it to Bella when she is either falling asleep or just waking up. I only read it to her when she is sleepy because she lov
earthy
A young llama asks its friends whether or not their mamas are llamas, leading to a discussion of different animal characteristics.

The images are simple and saturated with color. The animals are drawn realistically, though the environment is fairly stereotypical and uninteresting. Still, the art is detailed enough that the differences in animal types are easy to distinguish.

The poetry is trite but catchy, and while the overall theme could be useful in teaching young children about different kinds
Bhargavi Balachandran
Lo loved this book. She squealed in delight every time she could guess the animal the clues were given for. She loves books that rhyme and are a little silly- so this one was just perfect for her. Illustrations were super duper cute. Overall a lovely read! We will surely read this a few more times before it goes back to the library, and maybe even look out for our own copy, if she enjoys it consistently after the 'newness' of the book fades
Kristen
Sep 13, 2012 Kristen rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: picture-book
"Is Your Mama a Llama?" is a very good book to read to children. It is an excellent form for predictability and pattern. The book allows student to guess what kind of animal is being surprised. They are learning about new animals, they may never have heard of before. Also, the pictures in this book portray the story really well and are quite beautiful illustrations. I would definitely read this book in my classroom.
elissa
Dec 19, 2007 elissa rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: parents and 2-5 year olds
Both of my kids loved this fun rhyming book when they were toddlers and preschoolers, and I've also used it for preschool storytimes. Kellogg's pictures are great, as usual. My older son started calling me "Llama" when he was 8 or 9, which I love!
Michelle *Queen of Dorks*
One of the earliest books of my childhood, I had it memorized before I could read.
Garren
Dec 04, 2015 Garren rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
A predictable book that I immediately decided to read at the next storytime. Kids are going to love this, especially on subsequent reads.
Paula

A young llama asks his friends if their mamas are llamas and finds out, in rhyme, that their mothers are other types of animals.
Shanyon Patterson carter
This is my 16 mo old's FAVORITE book. She has me read it over and over every day. Wish this was a series!
Brittany
Dec 18, 2014 Brittany rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This one makes Alistair smile.
Adriana Brown
Is Your Mama a Llama, written by Deborah Guarino is a great book for preschoolers and kindergartners. The book does a great job of keeping children engaged with rhymes and riddles. The book is also a great way for children to learn more about various animals. I also liked the way the book gave hints about what the animals was instead telling the type of animal immediately. This gives the students a chance to guess what the animal is and get them excited about knowing their animals. An example f ...more
Leigh Chickering
Mar 01, 2017 Leigh Chickering rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: rdng-350
A baby llama goes around asking different animals if their mama is a llama and they all reply that their mamas are not but instead they are animals such as a kangaroo, a seal, or a swan. Soon, the baby llama asks another llama and she finally gets a yes.

This book is so cute! I love the illustrations and the rhyming in it. I love all the different animals that were used in it and how they explained them all.

I think that this book could be used for so many different lessons. It could teach about
Madison
Dec 02, 2016 Madison rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Is Your Mama a Llama? is a poem because it uses rhyming words. This book is about a llama trying to find his mother by asking different animals if they are llamas.
This book is great for kids because as you read the book they author strategically put the hints to what the animal is on one page and to find out what animal they are talking about you have to turn the page. The author also uses rhyming words to help out the readers with what she is talking about. The images cover the whole page. I r
Erin Bliss
Mar 02, 2017 Erin Bliss rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book is about a llama asking all of his animal friends if their mama's are llamas. It repeats, and rhymes, and has incredible illustrations!
I love this book! I could do a whole lesson in poetry, and how they work! It talks about different animals too with the most adorable pictures! I think my kids would love this book a lot! Definitely would use it for a younger reading classroom.
Georgia Goldberg
I give this book a 5 star rating because it is a childhood favorite and I love the illustrations. I think this book is helpful because children can learn to identify characteristics that are associated with different animals. I recommend this book because it is lighthearted and a good read for all young children. The book has also been awarded as a blue ribbon book.
May 21, 2017 Laura rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Pierre says four stars because he likes the rhyming.
Cara
This was a cute book. The baby llama goes around asking if everyone's mama is a llama. It has cute rhymes to go with each animal until the baby finally finds a mama llama.
Chinook
Mar 08, 2017 Chinook rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kids
I love reading this one - it's a lot of fun. Kait is equally a fan. Not my favourite in terms of illustration, though I think Kait enjoys the realism.
Miley Family
Nov 28, 2016 Miley Family rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Children love the oddity of the question and the comments that went with the answers.
Andie Siegel
Title: Is Your Mama a Llama?
Author: Deborah Guarino
Illustrator: Steven Kellogg
Genre: Predictable Book
Theme(s): moms, love, animals
Opening line/sentence: "Is your mama a llama?" I asked my friend Dave.
Brief Book Summary: The young llama goes around asking his friends if their mom is a llama, and to his surprise, almost all of them say no. He is asking his friend the bat, the kangaroo and the swan, and they all tell him what their moms usually do, which isn't the llama's normal behavior. He final
Rachel Denny
Title: Is Your Mama a Llama?
Author: Deborah Guarino
Illustrator: Steven Kellogg
Genre: Predictable book
Theme(s): Rhyme, animals
Opening line/sentence:
“Is your mama a llama?” I asked my friend Dave.

Brief Book Summary:
A little llama goes around asking his friends if their mamas are llamas and comes to find out that their mothers are other types of animals.

First Professional Review
Joan Kindig, Ph.D. (Children's Literature)
A classic pattern story, Is Your Mama a Llama? is a very sweet story about a
Anna Youssef
This book definitely is known for its rhymes, different animals, and innocence of children. A baby llama has lost its mother, and goes around trying to find her. Students learn the names of different animals, and can make comparisons and contrasts with different animals.
Sabrina Parsons
Feb 15, 2015 Sabrina Parsons rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I absolutely love this book from the story to the illustrations. This book has a simple but fun plot. It is about a younger llama going around and asking all his friends if their mama is a llama too. Most of the friends reply with no and explain what their mamas do and why they couldn't be a llama because their mamas don't do what llamas would do. The book then gives a page that stated what the friends mama is. At the end the young llama asks another young llama if her mama is a llama and she sa ...more
Yesenia
Sep 17, 2013 Yesenia rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The book Is Your Mama a Llama? written by Deborah Guarino and illustrated by Steven Kellogg is a great predictable/pattern book. The book audience for this book is kindergartners and first graders. This group likes book that explore different concept but still have a predictability to ease the learning. The story is about the adventure of a little llama that asks his other animal friends if their mamas are llamas. In the course of the story, the reader learns distinct characteristics of certain ...more
  • Barnyard Banter