The Haymeadow

The Haymeadow

3.9 of 5 stars 3.90  ·  rating details  ·  604 ratings  ·  53 reviews
Fourteen-year-old John Barron is asked, like his father and grandfather before him, to spend the summer taking care of their sheep in the haymeadow. Six thousand sheep. John will be alone, except for two horses, four dogs, and all those sheep.

John doesn't feel up to the task, but he hopes that if he can accomplish it, he will finally please his father. But John finds that

Published February 1st 1994 by Yearling (first published 1992)

To ask other readers questions about The Haymeadow, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Haymeadow

Marietje
Gary Paulsen is the champion of survival coming-of -age novels. This time 14 year old motherless John, is charged by his father with herding a flock of 6000 sheep far up the Wyoming mountains, because the farmhand who usually summers with the sheep has cancer. For three months John battles snakes, coyotes, flash floods and even a black bear. He finds himself hesitating to kill severely wounded sheep with his gun. He also needs to come to terms with his family history, which is not quite like he...more
Laurie Carroll
I read this Gary Paulsen classic aloud to my husband and 13 year old son as we wound our way through Wyoming and Montana in our RV this summer. My husband's comment after we finished the book one evening by the campfire was, "I know his target audience is teenage boys, but I can't think of an author I like more." Another great coming of age story by the best outdoor writer of our time!
Michelle Barker
I read this book to help my son with his homework and had a happy surprise. What a lovely coming of age story about a boy who is forced into responsibility he doesn't feel ready for. I think my high rating might also have to do with the subject matter: ranching, the pastoral setting and the reality behind it of dealing with wild animals and the natural world that won't be tamed and must be respected. I loved the character of John Barron and the way he idolizes his great-grandfather. Everything w...more
Scott
The haymeadow is a book about a teenage boy that lives on a ranch that has sheep and horses. They use to have alot of land but couldn't make payments and had it taken away so now the people who own the ranch let them live there and have them watch over the ranch and all of the animals and in return don't have to pay to live there and they get to pretty much call it their ranch. It is adventurous because after a ranch hand that drives the sheep to a meadow up in the mountains and stays there from...more
Dusty Phelps
Dusty Phelps
10/25/11
Class: 1st
Zach Bales
The Haymeadow Review

(Gary Paulsen’s book, The Haymeadow, was just another book that was complete success. His western style books excite its readers, every time. Gary Paulsen is a well known author. Mostly due to his book, Hatchet.)
The main character, John Barron, is fourteen when his father gives him the task of watching the families six thousand head of sheep up in the hay meadow through the summer. He had nothing besides a wagon full of supply, two...more
Gale
COMING TO TERMS WITH NATURE AND HIS HERITAGE

John is only 14 the year his father expects him to spend the summer in a distant haymeadow in the Wyoming mountains--alone with 6,000 sheep, 4 border collies and 2 horses. Unsure if he is up to the demands of prolonged living without human companionship in valley pasturage, lacking both experience and a guidebook, the boy psyches himself up by pretending he would do things the way he imagines the Old Man--his great grandfather who founded the spread--...more
Zachary
Dec 01, 2013 Zachary rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: adventure lover
Recommended to Zachary by: my Dad
A 14 year old teeenager named John Barron was asked to take care of 6000 sheep for a summer all by himself. He had one gun, two horses,four dogs and 6000 sheep to keep him company. He was doing this because his father and grandfather before him had done this. (This sounds like fun.) He thought that he needed to do this in order to earn the respect of his father and grandfather. He went on a journey. His journey was long and treacherous and he needed to learn skills so that he could survive. One...more
Randy Daugherty
John Barron is 14 and is given the job of tending the 6000 flock of sheep in the mountain hay meadow. John is worried how will he ever manage it, no one has told him what to do, he will be all alone and isolated but for the dogs, horses and of course all those sheep.
Shortly after being on his own, one dog cuts his foot bad, his wagon is caught in a flash flood, the sheep are attacked by coyotes and then a bear and their is also a run in with a skunk and snake. Through it all John learns to hand...more
Rodney Haydon
I enjoyed this coming of age story about a 14 year old who, due to unforeseen difficulties, has to take responsibility and care for the sheep in the haymeadow.
David
This story is yet again another coming-of-age novel, with a bit of survival mixed in. A young man is tasked with caring for and guarding sheep for the summer, all the while dealing with his relationship with his father, and his unhealthy obsession with his great-grandfather. This story is relatively more peaceful that some of Paulsen's other works, but there is still a good amount of adventure and challenges to overcome. This felt like a "modern western" to me, so anyone who grew up in the count...more
Kevin Slawta
What kids need to do these days and put the damn video games down. Read this good one.
Essau Alli
This book is about a boy that becomes a responsible young adult. He is able to manage an entire farm. He learns how to become a farmer becasue he has a lot of help from others. He takes care of the animals very well because he knows how to do a good job.

I can relate this book to the world because a lot of people have farms and they have to live off of what animals produce.They have animals to produce resources such as cows produce milk.

I rate this book 2 stars because I thought i was kind of bor...more
Brandon Gerdes
i thought that this book was very interesting. at times it made me not want to put it down. a 14 year old boy John Barron was very brave, I thought. John had many twists and turns while tending to his sheep. the roles that nature and wild animals played were the main reason that made me want to keep reading this book. at any time he was not paying attention, he took the risk of losing his sheep to coyotes, a flooding river, and a hurt dog. Overall i thought this was a good book, although it was...more
Nickie
I listened to this little book with the kids. This is a quick 3.5 hour reading, but we listened while I was working on another project.

I think many boys will love this story of a 14 year old boy called by his father to care for 6,000 sheep high up in the mountains with four dogs and two horses.

It's an exciting adventure with a mountain lion, coyotes,a black bear, flash floods and crazy sheep.

Lastly, it's a story about a father and son growing closer..finally.

My kids say they love all the adventu...more
Theresa
This is a different sort of story than I would ordinarily read...a coming of age story where the boy is expected to live on his own and take care of the sheep for a summer. Perhaps I am becoming too cynical, but I am not all that interested. However, Paulsen is able to use language that maintains the beauty in the land while also reminding us of the destruction it can bring. I can see how middle schoolers would enjoy it, especially those interested in animals or farming.
Lucy Briggs
Sep 13, 2014 Lucy Briggs rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Cat, for 6th grade book club
Shelves: young-adult
Always enjoy Paulsen's characters who have to rely on themselves to get through difficult situations. Sheep, definitely not as romantic as cattle, but I did learn something about the cleverness of dogs who herd. ;-)
Sheriden Haase
This book is very good book. In the book The Haymeadow, the guys go up to the mountains to let the sheep graze in the basin. The terrain is rough and hard on the sheep and horses. There is a camper up in the basin, one old man lives in there with the herding dogs. They pull the camper up with the tractor. The guys have a family farm and work hard for a living. They go into town once a month for supplies and to have a good time.
Karsten M
I really liked this book. I would recomend you reading it. This boy goes out and has to protect these sheep for all summer with his 4 dogs, 2 horses, 1 wagon, and about six-thousand sheep. When he is out there in the haymeadow. He has to face bears, cyotes, and snakes. It was a really fun book. Also there was a flood and his wagon goes in the river. All of his supplies get all wet.
Karla Burke
This book took me back to my childhood and the thousand head of ewes my uncle owned. He didn't employ a sheepherder, but I knew up some. I don't doubt for a second that a 14-yr-old boy who was ranch-raised could successfully take responsibility for a large herd over the summer months. This is a great read for boys and anyone with a ranching background.
Jacob Lamirande
An amazing quick read. I have read this book before, but it has been about two years since then. All of the book seemed new to me. I like Gary Paulsen's books very much. I have also read his Hatchet series. I highly recommend this book. It is a good change of pace from all the "Classic Literature" we read in school.
Jennilynn
The kids and I loved reading this book. In fact, we took a day off from schoolwork and read the book cover to cover. 14 year old John learns not only about keeping his sheep, dogs, and horses safe, but also what he is capable of. The descriptions were wonderful.
Amy
Juve. fiction fan right here!!! I liked this book about a boy herding his dad's sheep for the summer in a meadow somewhere out west (Montana?). He is 14 and is alone and has to deal with coyotes, snakes, bears, and other dangers to his herd. Good.
Lisa
Wow! i listened to this in my car on the long commute to school and work. Read by Richard Thomas, John Boy, this was quite a treat. I love Paulsen anyway, but this reading was phenomenal. It brought the rugged story of singular survival alive.
Lucy
Apr 27, 2012 Lucy added it
i thought that the book was very interesting.
gary pausen is my favorite author. all of my book reports have been on gary pausen's books. thanks gary pausen for having your books nationaly put into schools for students like me to read!
Michele
I loved this book. It was so raw and so real. You knew the author knew his stuff. It had some authenticity to it, and you get to know the life of a sheep farmer. I thought it was an excellent read.
Bethany
As a preteen, Gary Paulsen was one of my favorite authors. The Haymeadow was one of my most beloved books. This, along with The Island, had a huge influence on my developing sense of self. Awesome book.
Jen
Fantastic story! My new favorite Gary Paulsen. The excitement! I learned so much about sheep ranching, and loved how this 14 year old boy, "became an old man" in just one summer.
Michael flippin mcgill
pretty good book so far , a fourteen year old guy named john has to go up in a meadow for the summer all alone sept for six thousand sheep, four dogs,two horses and the mountains.
Matthew
Another great Paulsen book. It could have easily had a sequel as well. I always enjoy how Paulsen rounds out his characters with real emotions and traits.
Ken
Once the action starts in this book, it doesn't stop. The ending has a believable and heart-warming father-son relationship that I found compelling and moving.
  • Rescue Josh Mcguire
  • Yu-Gi-Oh! Vol. 7: Monster World (Yu-Gi-Oh!, #7)
  • Jason's Gold
  • The Wolfling: A Documentary Novel of the Eighteen-Seventies
  • How to Be an Extraordinary Teen
  • The Case of the Halloween Ghost (Hank the Cowdog, #9)
  • Wild Life
  • Sweetgrass
  • Rivers West
  • When the Bough Breaks
  • The Summit (Everest, #3)
  • Fight for Life (Vet Volunteers, #1)
  • Phoenix Rising
  • Demon Love Spell, Vol. 2
  • Charlie's Raven
  • Billy And Blaze: A Boy And His Pony
  • Kavik the Wolf Dog
  • Blessing's Bead
Although he was never a dedicated student, Paulsen developed a passion for reading at an early age. After a librarian gave him a book to read--along with his own library card--he was hooked. He began spending hours alone in the basement of his apartment building, reading one book after another.

Running away from home at the age of 14 and traveling with a carnival, Paulsen acquired a taste for adve...more
More about Gary Paulsen...
Hatchet (Brian's Saga, #1) Brian's Winter (Brian's Saga, #3) The River (Brian's Saga, #2) Brian's Return (Brian's Saga, #4) Brian's Hunt (Brian's Saga, #5)