Start by marking “The Boys from Brazil (Level 4 Reader)” as Want to Read:
The Boys from Brazil (Level 4 Reader)

The Boys from Brazil (Level 4 Reader)

4.03 of 5 stars 4.03  ·  rating details  ·  20,577 ratings  ·  370 reviews
Alive & hiding in South America, the fiendish Nazi Dr. Josef Mengele gathers a group of former colleagues for a horrifying project--the creation of the Fourth Reich. Barry Kohler, a young investigative journalist, gets wind of the project & informs famed Nazi hunter Ezra Lieberman, but before he can relay the evidence, Kohler is killed.
Thus Ira Levin opens one of
paper, 164 pages
Published (first published January 1st 1976)

Mara
"Holy sh*tsnacks! Krieger's one of the boys from Brazil!"

Yes, once again I find myself reading a book as a result of an Archer reference (see also Bartleby The Scrivener). The premise (of the book, not of Archer) is that down in South America, the fugitive Dr. Megele is sending out six men to kill 94 civil servants on precise dates in nine countries. Renowned Nazi-hunter, Yakov Liebermann receives a mysterious phone call from a twenty-something American boy who went down Brazil to investigat
When I was in Hebrew school, the teacher had us listen to the first chapter on audiobook, and promised to let us hear the rest. When he realized that the book had dialog such as "Fucking bitch, I'd like to cut her tits off," he reconsidered his plans.
Jean
Who are The Boys From Brazil? And can there really be a Nazi plot to implement the "Fourth Reich"?

"Two factors are necessary for a resurgence of Nazism ... a worsening of social conditions till they approximate those of the early thirties and the emergence of a Hitler-like leader."
- Yakov Liebermann, "The Boys From Brazil."

Ira Levin was a great writer of "What if?" novels and plays, ten of which have been turned into the sort of films which have the audience gripping the sides of their seats. B
Troy
My one-phrase rundown: a dated but well-penned and addictive tale of suspense

I read this book for two reasons: one, it was escapism conveniently located in the ‘free paperback’ bin at the library, and secondly as a minor nod to my father. My dad had a bookshelf brimming with cold-war and spy novels, and I vaguely remember him telling me about the plot of the book when I was a kid.

Associating it with my father probably places me in the last generation which can connect with the book, involving as
Carac Allison

"The Boys from Brazil" was one of those paperbacks that found its way into the ever growing collection of book boxes I moved from residence to my parent's home back to residence back to my parent's and then to my first bachelor apartment. But I didn't read it until I was married and living in my first real adult domicile. I woke up sick on a weekeday and called into work. I went back to bed but after my wife left I felt like I could sit up and read. I opened "The Boys from Brazil" and read it fr
Checkman
Jul 01, 2014 Checkman rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: fans of thrillers
Recommended to Checkman by: the movie version
Elliott
I've never read of a more ludicrous plot than that of The Boys from Brazil: the heinous Dr. Mengele (director of the human experiments at Auschwitz) who at the time this novel was published was still alive and well somewhere in South America, devises a scheme to clone Hitler 94 times depositing the young Hitler's in various locations throughout the world in families that were similar to Hitler's own with the intention that at least one of the boys will subsequently grow up to become a new Hitler ...more
Simon
People say "don't judge a book by it's cover" but when a cover has a swastika on it, I'm like a moth to a flame. Short version: It's the 1970s and a bunch of Nazis who have been in hiding in Brazil decide the time has come to initiate a plan to start up the Fourth Reich and finally achieve Aryan supremacy. So to Europe they head. Meanwhile, a Nazi Hunter is still looking for them. Now.... honestly.... how can you say 'no' to that?

The Boys From Brazil is a brilliant yarn and has nice twists and t
Gordon Houghton
It's a mark of Levin's skill as a writer that he can make (with hindsight) one of the most ludicrous plots I've ever come across into a convincing, gripping narrative. Every character is beautifully drawn, with scarcely a hint of caricature; even the Nazis rise above the pulp fiction status they're normally afforded in literature. I won't give the story away, because it does have some neat twists; but it's basically entertaining nonsense, outstripped both by events (what actually happened to Men ...more
Brian
* So long had it been since the first and only other time I read this book that I had forgotten virtually everything about it, didn't even remember what the title should have told me to begin with. And toward the end of it, I was getting worried that a plot so grandiose was winding down toward a very small confrontation between a couple of old men. I shouldn't have worried. Levin isn't that kind of writer. The climax is a beautiful piece of work, suspenseful and frighteningly revelatory: by this ...more
Austin Reams
Holy smoke! This book was awesome! I wish I had a list of books like this, which I'd never read, and kept them back, savoring them for when I know I'm going to be on a 24-hour flight to Taiwan, or 13-hour layover in Newark, so I could pull it out and know, for sure, that I'm going to have my brains entertained-out.

The book starts out - Nazi hunter gets a call from a wannabe Nazi hunter in Brazil. Dr. Mangele (the "Angel of Death" from the German concentration camps of WWII) is still alive and ha
J. Rosemary Moss
This book had me on the edge of my seat; it's worth suspending disbelief for. The cat-and-mouse game between Josef Mengele and a Nazi hunter, mixed with a sci-fi plot about nature versus nurture, makes for a fast, absorbing read.

If you're not familiar with Josef Mengele, read up on him before you begin. The book only hints at what a butcher this "Angel of Death" was. (Knowing he was still alive and at large in South America when this book came out gave me pause while reading it.)

My one complaint
Lesley
This is one of the most chilling books I have ever read. With the cutting-edge scientific theme (for when it was written in 1976), this really could be called a technothriller.

The book begins with a secret meeting in Brazil, in the 1970s, by Nazis who have survived and are planning the Fourth Reich. They are led by Dr. Joseph Mengele (a real historical person), who conducted many experiments on concentration camp prisoners in World War II. The group's plan is to kill 94 civil servants, scattered
Benson Lott
BLOWN AWAY. I'M REALLY STARTING TO HAVE A HARD TIME DECIDING WHO INSPIRES ME THE MOST AS AN AUTHOR. MR. LEVIN'S WORK IS FLAWLESS. I'LL NEVER RELATE TO AN AUTHOR MORE THAN I DO BRET EASTON ELLIS, BUT AT THIS POINT IN MY LIFE, I'M STUDYING THE MASTERS OF STORY-TELLING. SHELDON'S MASTER OF THE GAME MADE ME REALIZE THAT I WANT TO DO MORE THAN JUST HORROR AND ELLIS INSPIRED WORK. I LOVE A GOOD STORY. BRAZIL DOES NOT DISAPPOINT. I'M ALMOST OUT OF LEVIN MATERIAL SO I'M GONNA HAVE TO READ HIS NEXT ONE S ...more
Ivan
This was a terrific suspence novel - on a par with A Kiss Before Dying (but not as good as Levin's masterpiece Rosemary's Baby). I've never seen the film - I'll have to now. This is a robust and chilling tale, kinda out there when it was written, but all too plausible now. The story is tight and gripping. Not to be missed.
Ryan Greer
Boys from Brazil is gripping, well written, and cleverly constructed. It's basically like reading a better version of the Da Vinci Code but without Tom Hanks floating through your mind as the characters interact.

Not a typical read for me at all, but still really fun. Levin has a really sneaky way of presenting information that really makes you feel as though you're deciphering the mysteries right along with Liebermann.

A great travel book or vacation read, you'll finish it far too quickly.
Angela
Well, crapola!! Seriously! This story was going along so well and I was really into it, when all of a sudden it just ended. WTF?!! Cheapskate Ira Levin couldn't come up with a satisfying ending.

Anyway, I would have given this four stars but for the ending. The rating would have been mostly for the way it held my interest rather than for any literary merit.
Chris
Very enjoyable fast-paced classic 1970s thriller. No objections to this one, at all. When looking through my collection for something in this genre, I first chose Marathon Man. That was a bad choice! This one is great, there are no offending stereotypes, just really, really bad Nazis.
Maaike
This book was so disappointing. I had to read it for school, and when I read the back flap of the book, I wasn't exactly thrilled by the plot already. Some fictional story about Mengele reviving his gruesome experiments by sending some old retired Nazi's on a stupid murder mission, while himself drinking tea and doing absolutely nothing in Brazil. Didn't appeal to me. Still I decided to give it a chance.

The writing is extremely boring. I literally had to fight myself to the first half of the boo
Elmer Braber
Goed boek met veel spanning. En Mengele heeft daadwerkelijk in Zuid-Amerika rondgedoold, en in één specifiek plaatsje zijn ongelooflijk veel tweelingen geboren.

Zie ook mijn column over het onderwerp http://www.hebban.nl/literatuur/artik...
James
The premise was promising: Escaped Nazis have reconvened in 1970s South America under the leadership of the notorious Dr. Mengele, and they develop a plan to revive a Fourth Reich that begins with a murder spree. That was more than enough for me to buy it, but after exactly 55 pages, I found myself quite bored. The writing is dry, sometimes stilted and clunky, often long-winded, and the characters feel rather flat. Nothing really stood out as exceptional by the time my interest began to wane, an ...more
Lee Goldin
Cleverly plotting but pedestrian prose make this an readable enough espionage potboiler with hints of science fiction that can be enjoyed as a camp variation on Forsythe's Odessa File, a book that covers similar ground in a more nuanced fashion.
Eileen
The first time I read this book was for my final oral exams English at High-school. Then I thought that the writer had an extremely vivid imagination to come up with a story like this. What did I know then about clones and genetic research? Not much. It was fun to read it again after many years. Because now it's not fantasy anymore, it could be reality and that makes it even more scary.

Although this is not my favorite book by Ira Levin, I think he did a great job. Anyway I love all his books eve
Aaron Martz
A well-documented, thoroughly believable thriller. The concept itself is so far-fetched that if Levin hadn't such a sure hand with the material, it would be trite and tasteless. As is, this is a very suspenseful and thought-provoking horror story. The reader is kept in the dark about what is really at stake here until almost two-thirds of the way through the book, and when the book's hero discovers it at the same time the reader does, it is shocking and quite disturbing to consider. The book rac ...more
Roberta
In The Boys from Brazil Yakov Lieberman, un 'cacciatore' di nazisti ormai fuori moda (sono gli anni Settanta) ispirato a Simon Wiesenthal, opera attivamente per rintracciare e portare alle autorità i nazisti rimasti in libertà dopo la fine della Seconda Guerra Mondiale. Il suo scopo è quello di far conoscere a più persone possibili gli orrori del nazismo, e continuare a sensibilizzare l'opinione pubblica per evitare che simili atrocità accadano di nuovo.

Ross Denton
Since my grandfather passed away, I always raid his book collection whenever I visit my grandmother. Books were something him and I had in common. We would discuss science fiction and cold war era thrillers whenever I was over, and he would send me away with his recommendations when it was time to leave.

I picked up 'The Boys From Brazil' from the bottom of their book shelf the other week, and, as a thriller, it is perfect. The story opens with a group of pleasant men meeting at a restaurant in S
Merit Coba
It happens that the public library of Alkmaar owns a few English books that have been turned into a feature movie. This process from turning a written text into a visual medium has my interest as I hope to learn from others to apply it for myself.
It is my luck that I recently saw the movie "The boys from Brazil" and when I discovered the book - written by Ira Levin - in the library I knew I had to read it.
Mind you, I am not going to take you through a point by point comparison. While this might
Oscar Torrado
Un hombre tiene un plan: revivir el tercer reich y preservar la raza aria, para eso ha elaborado un plan, asesinar a noventa y cuatro hombres de 65 años de distintos países, pero ¿por qué? ¿qué se esconde detrás de tan extraño plan? Esas son las incógnitas que nos plantea Ira Levin en la primera mitad del libro, en esta historia bastante llamativa y muy bien orquestada donde cada capítulo es más misterioso que el anterior y los giros en las tramas hacen querer seguir leyendo más.
Susan Sloan
A smart and thoroughly enjoyable page turner.
Daniel Mala
Okay, I could have gone for a 4.5 stars on this book. This is a classic I picked up in high school at one time and was going to read it, but if I recall it didn’t quite ring of enough controversy. It is a great read that for its time presents interesting ramifications of genetics and science in relation to moral issues. I would still argue that bringing back carbon copies of horrible people is not quite as an assault to the natural order as making a hotdog tree that grows yummy and healthy hotdo ...more
Goodreads Librari...: Add missing cover 2 17 Mar 21, 2015 08:24AM
  • Marathon Man
  • Six Days of the Condor
  • The Manchurian Candidate
  • Fail-Safe
  • The Eiger Sanction
  • QB VII
  • The Ipcress File (Secret File, #1)
  • Cape Fear
  • The Odessa File
  • The First Deadly Sin (Deadly Sins, #2)
  • Looking for Mr. Goodbar
  • The Choirboys
  • The Brotherhood of the Rose (Mortalis, #1)
  • The Quiller Memorandum
  • The Deep
  • Ice Station Zebra
  • Airport
  • Gorky Park (Arkady Renko, #1)
Levin graduated from the Horace Mann School and New York University, where he majored in philosophy and English.

After college, he wrote training films and scripts for television.

Levin's first produced play was No Time for Sergeants (adapted from Mac Hyman's novel), a comedy about a hillbilly drafted into the United States Air Force that launched the career of Andy Griffith. The play was turned int
More about Ira Levin...
Rosemary's Baby The Stepford Wives This Perfect Day A Kiss Before Dying Deathtrap

“They were confident and cunning. They weren't mucking around looking for nuclear weapon secret sloppy seconds in America. They could care less about America. They were busy with the whole world domination thing.” 3 likes