Start by marking “Guts” as Want to Read:
Guts

Guts (Brian's Saga)

3.87  ·  Rating Details  ·  1,801 Ratings  ·  277 Reviews
Guess what -- Gary Paulsen was being kind to Brian. In Guts, Gary tells the real stories behind the Brian books, the stories of the adventures that inspired him to write Brian Robeson's story: working as an emergency volunteer; the death that inspired the pilot's death in Hatchet; plane crashes he has seen and near-misses of his own. He describes how he made his own bows a ...more
Published November 12th 2002 by Laurel Leaf (first published January 1st 2001)

To ask other readers questions about Guts, please sign up.

karen
Jul 13, 2009 karen rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
"there seems to be a river of rage just below the surface in moose that has no basis in logic, or at least any logic that i can see." this is a great sentence. and a great story that inspires this quote. montambo told me to read this, so i did. it is filling the "nonfiction" slot in my 10-work annotated bibliography assignment. this book is full of wonderful survival stories that illustrate the importance of staying out of the wilderness if you are unprepared for its hazards. this is my other fa ...more
Joyce
Jan 07, 2014 Joyce rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I taught seventh grade middle school for 35 years and during part of that time the sixth grade read Hatchet. Naturally when they came to me the following year some were hooked on Gary Paulsen books. From time-to-time I find myself reading teen books out of habit and desire, I have a list of authors I still enjoy and Gary Paulsen is one. His books have always made me feel I was sitting listening to him tell me the story.

If you have read or you know someone who has read the "Brian" books I would r
Malbadeen
Geesh I forgot that the first story in this book has about a bazillion reference to death, including a scene wherein a plane breaks in half and the people "spill out" into the water and are eaten by sharks and a really sad scene where a 50 year old man dies of a heart attack (described with vivid detail) at the dinner table?
I remembered when I was reading it aloud to the 3rd graders and they keept asking "is this real"?! and I kept having to say "yes".
that being said he does a pretty great job o
Cem
Feb 02, 2010 Cem rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a great book. This book is one of the best books that I have read. It is great story written from Gary Paulsen which is a good writer. Everybody please read this book if you like fun stories.
Dan Prillwitz
Mar 11, 2014 Dan Prillwitz rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
“Guts” is a book written about the events that led up to Gary Paulsen writing about Brian Robeson’s story in the books: Hatchet, The River, Brian’s Winter, and Brian’s Return. The first chapter is about the experiences Gary has had with airplanes which is how Brian ends up in the wilderness alone in “Hatchet.” The whole book is basically about all the times Gary has had encounters in the wilderness and how he had to cope with the problems he had.

The main character in “Guts” is Gary Paulsen. The
Topher
Dec 13, 2012 Topher rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
‘Guts’ by Gary Paulsen was a considerable novel. I really liked the overall story line as well as the action packed, real life situations Gary Paulsen experienced. The book was based of a similar, well know, novel ‘Hatchet’, which Gary Paulsen wrote 15 years before publishing ‘Guts’. During the book, Paulsen describes his near-death experiences in the wilderness chapter-to-chapter making the reader feel as if they where standing right their, with him. Each chapter is based of real life events wh ...more
ALEX HULBERT
Oct 24, 2014 ALEX HULBERT rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book is an awesome autobiography on how Gary Paulsen came about his ideas for writing his books.I really enjoyed reading about his adventures. He tells some of his real life stories and how they are put into his books. The stories have so much detail I almost feel as if I am in his shoes. All the stories he tells in this book are completely real.

Brian, the main character, in almost all of his books goes through all the same stuff Gary Paulsen has in his life. Brian is a survivalist and live
Myers C.
Feb 27, 2015 Myers C. rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Very rarely do audiences get an inside look at the experiences and thought-processes that make an author who he or she is. Gary Paulsen's "Guts" does this. The book was written for a very clear purpose- to describe the hard experiences and lessons that Paulsen used as fodder for the writing of best-seller books like "Dogsong" and "Hatchet." If you like harrowing, wilderness-based stories full of woodcraft and danger, you'll like this book. You'll also like this book if you are interested in how ...more
Calvin Riquier
Nov 01, 2015 Calvin Riquier rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
"Survival is the key to life,"Brian says as he describes his ways of living in the woods and how to survive. Guts teaches you some valuable survival tips and tricks such as fishing, hunting, cooking, and surviving all elements of life.
Guts is the story line behind hatchet. Brian's plane pilot has a heart attack and lands somewhere in the wilderness. Guts gives you an insight on how Brian survived this devastating accident.
If you are interested in learning survival skills and how Brian survive
Jilane
Now I know why the Hatchet and Brian books did not appeal to me. This book is a nonfiction book about how many of the scenarios and situations came about in Hatchet. Very interesting but not my cup of tea. Hunting and the wilderness do not have an appeal to me. But the stories were well told and and interesting.

I did notice something in this book though. Paulsen talks often in his book about earning money for food and school clothes as a child. I am a mother and thought, "That is great that he i
Logan Erdmann
Oct 25, 2013 Logan Erdmann rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
After reading this book, I realized where Mr. Paulsen got most of the information for his main books like “Hatchet”. I enjoyed reading about Gary Paulsen’s life and it is something I can relate to. I thought that his attempt to eat the raw turtle eggs was rather disgusting. I can't imagine what other kinds of food he has tried. He was very brave to run the Iditarod with his dogs in the blizzard. Mr.Paulsen also experienced a plane losing an engine in flight. That had to be very frightening.

The
Traci
Nov 26, 2012 Traci rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Summary: This is a biography by Gary Paulsen where he shares information about his life experiences, comedic anecdotes that relates to the stories he has written, and events that provided inspiration for many of his stories. The author perhaps most famous for the story Hatchet gives the reader insight into his life experiences and how they have resulted in the works that he has provided us with.

Genre: Junior Biographical

Critique:

(a) The book is provides accuracy in that he relays to the reader
Tylor
i thought this book was awwwwwwwwsome i first choose this book because i love gary paulsen and i love hachet. it is a autobiography about his life and what he did in his life which soon he truned into a book called hachet/brain song. the setting is is kinda everywhere first in forestes then up in moutains and kinda everywhere. the main chraracter is ofcrouse gary paulsen and this guy has been through sooooo much through his life he has seen people die and hes seen big animals and this guy has se ...more
Pam ☼Because Someone Must Be a Thorn☼ Tee
This last year you could say that I 'discovered' Gary Paulsen. My daughter brought 'Hatchet' home from school and we read it together and from there I branched out on my own, reading at least another dozen and half of his books. So keep in mind that I'm a bit of a fan-- though I hate that word.

In any case, I just picked up "Guts" and thoroughly enjoyed it. It's not an autobiography in the sense that it tells the story of Gary's life, but it certainly gives you insight into the types of things he
Jacob
Nov 04, 2013 Jacob rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed “Guts” because it is more than just a book. The author, Gary Paulsen, really shows the reader how he writes his books. He explains his life and how he based his books off of his real life encounters with nature. He explains how in his other books “Hatchet” and the Brian Books he actually tied the stories to his real life. I like that the book is split up into chapters that are based on things that you have to do to survive in the great outdoors. Some of the topics are pretty interestin ...more
Elizabeth
Oct 08, 2014 Elizabeth rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
4.5 - 5

I'm a sucker for Hatchet, the Brian books, and woodland survival. I'm not sure I'd actually want to be stranded alone in the woods for days/weeks/months, but I enjoy reading books like this and giving myself a false sense of security (superiority) regarding my potential survival.

Gary Paulsen is a wild dude. He has lived many lives with wild experiences and this only scratches the surface.

If there is some type of apocalypse that does not affect woodland creatures, I will carry this book
Bea Elwood
Nov 01, 2015 Bea Elwood rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sixth-grade
I was looking for a good read aloud for memoirs at school and think this is the one! Intense but relatable, I have students who will connect with the home life and hopefully be inspired by the drive to be self reliant. Not to mention this might inspire them to read Hatchet ;)
Mina
Jul 13, 2016 Mina rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
THIS GUY IS WILD AF. Definite recommend if you love survival fiction. Frequently hilarious.
Alexander
Mar 17, 2016 Alexander rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Jackson Fuller
Nov 21, 2015 Jackson Fuller rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I read guts by Gary Paulson for one of my three good read assignment books. It is a book about Gary Paulsen's childhood and all the various struggles she had in the wilderness. This book was hard to review because it is not novels so I can't judge its storytelling because they're all true stories, but I will say he tells them in an incredible way. The way he uses additives and describes the setting and his feelings is phenomenal, it made me really interested in the book and made me feel like I w ...more
Brock
Guts is wrote by Gary Paulsen, it has 148 pages, and is non-fiction. This book has the true stories behind some of the Gary Paulsen written books. I would recommend this book to anyone!

Summary:

Gary is about 13 years old when he decides to make a bow. He has hunted with shotguns and rifles before, but he didn’t like the noise they made when shot. He said it was, “disturbing to nature,” he also says that they have recoil which he didn’t really like. The bow was made of lemon wood. The bow was made
Cayden
Mar 17, 2015 Cayden rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Guts was written by Gary Paulsen. Gary is the main character and is the only character besides the people that he saved and his family. It’s genre is Autobiography meaning it was written by the person that it is explaining. This book is 148 pages. This is not a big book because this book is the smaller sized print which means it’s less pages. I know that the regular sized font is 192 pages long.

Happens mostly in the woods or at a lake. This book’s theme is normal and trying to inform you the stu
Kenny S
Guts by Gary Paulsen is an autobiography that talks about why and how Paulsen chose some of the scenes in his books and how they relate to his life memories. He mainly makes his connections to his books using Hatchet. The author’s main idea in this book is that no matter how hard things may get, you should never quit. He shows this when he makes many references towards hatchet in scenes where Brian, the main character, who is stranded in the very cold middle of nowhere and has to survive by hims ...more
Wyattmclaughlin
TI really liked the book Guts by Gary Paulsen. The story gives you a lot of information about survival and how to escape a dangerous situation in the wild. He always had stories about what he did when he encountered a wild animal. He would either shoot it with his arrow or take a knife to his heart until his death arouse.

The story took place somewhere in the woods of Minnesota in the past. The main character is Gary Paulsen all throughout the book and he sometimes refers to his other story calle
Cole Hrapczak
Sep 12, 2014 Cole Hrapczak rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I have read a lot of books by Gary Paulson and they have all been great. This book always had a lot of action because he was either getting attacked by an animal, hunting an animal, or just telling the story about what he planned to do next.
The book takes place somewhere in Minnesota in the past. The main character is Gary Paulson who is also the author of the book In some parts of the book his age switches because he is telling about things that happened to him when he was younger. When he w
Roberta
Feb 11, 2014 Roberta rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: bookleggers

Gary Paulsen is one of the most honored writers of contemporary literature for young readers. He has written more than one hundred book for adults and young readers, and is the author of three Newberry Honor titles: Dogsong, Hatchet, and The Winter Room.
What do you do when you're being charged by a red-eyed furious wall of brown fur that is an insane moose? How do you make a weapon with your bare hands? How do you sneak up on a grouse or a rabbit, kill it with a well-aimed arrow, and cook it ov
Aleksandr V
May 01, 2014 Aleksandr V rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone
I picked this book because I had read Hatchet. I wanted to know where these experiences were from.

The title of the book relates to the book in whats included in the book. The book talks about how to cook guts of animals, so it was a very good choice to call it that.

The author wrote this book because he wanted to explain where Brain's experiences came from.

The audience who would read this book would probably be anyone who read Hatchet.

Facts: 1. Gary ate turtle eggs for research. I found it intere
Dylan
May 01, 2014 Dylan rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
GUTS

My book review is GUTS, by Gary Paulson. The story was the thought behind all of the Brian books like Hatchet, Brian’s Winter, Brian’s Hunt, The River. There was only one main character and it was Gary Paulson. In the story there was no real plot it was a mix up of all different things he did in his life. “I went many nights hungry” This book is an autobiography.

Personally I like this book because I like to read about survival out in the wilderness, and I also like all of the stories Gary
Tyra
Goodreads Review Format 50pts.

You will choose 5 of the 8 reading strategies to write in your review. You should be working on this while you are reading the book. Use this format and then copy and paste this information into goodreads.com
Each strategy is worth 10pts. You should explain how you used the reading strategy and find at least one example from the story (Make sure to include the page number.) Each response should be at least 3-4 sentences.

Explanation of Reading Strategies
Preview Get a
Zach Costello
Mar 20, 2013 Zach Costello rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
"Guts" is an autobiography by Gary Paulsen. He talks about experieces he had in his childhood through his adult years. When he was young he made his own bow and went out hunting for days just like Brian did in "Hatchet." He then took those experiences and wrote "Hatchet" and the Brian series. This book is for anyone who wants to learn more about Gary Paulsen and the story behind the Hatchet series.
BYU-Adolescent Li...: Guts: The True Stories Behind Hatchet Audiobook 1 3 May 21, 2013 11:49AM
  • The Tarantula in My Purse: and 172 Other Wild Pets
  • Wild Man Island
  • Water Buffalo Days: Growing Up in Vietnam
  • Helen Keller:  A photographic story of a life (DK Biography)
  • Tripping Over the Lunch Lady: And Other School Stories
  • Thuggin In Miami (The Family Is Made : Part 1)
  • Knots in My Yo-Yo String: The Autobiography of a Kid
  • Tree Shaker: The Story of Nelson Mandela
  • The Tarantula Scientist
  • The Invisible Thread
  • Shipwreck at the Bottom of the World: The Extraordinary True Story of Shackleton and The Endurance
  • Within Reach: My Everest Story
  • If You're Not Here, Please Raise Your Hand: Poems About School
  • When I Was Your Age, Volume One: Original Stories About Growing Up
  • Bad Boy: A Memoir
  • Walt Whitman: Words for America
  • Looking Back: A Book of Memories
  • Spiders
Although he was never a dedicated student, Paulsen developed a passion for reading at an early age. After a librarian gave him a book to read--along with his own library card--he was hooked. He began spending hours alone in the basement of his apartment building, reading one book after another.

Running away from home at the age of 14 and traveling with a carnival, Paulsen acquired a taste for adve
More about Gary Paulsen...

Brian's Saga (5 books)
  • Hatchet (Brian's Saga, #1)
  • The River (Brian's Saga, #2)
  • Brian's Winter (Brian's Saga, #3)
  • Brian's Return (Brian's Saga, #4)
  • Brian's Hunt (Brian's Saga, #5)