Start by marking “The Utopia Reader” as Want to Read:
The Utopia Reader

The Utopia Reader

3.57 of 5 stars 3.57  ·  rating details  ·  56 ratings  ·  10 reviews
Utopian literature has given voice to the hopes and fears of the human race from its earliest days to the present. This anthology encompasses the whole spectrum and history of utopian writings, from the Old Testament, Plato's Republic, Sir Thomas More's Utopia and George Orwell's Nineteen Eighty-Four to the present day. The editors' aim is to demonstrate the various ways i ...more
Published August 30th 1999 by New York University Press (first published 1999)

To ask other readers questions about The Utopia Reader, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Utopia Reader

sologdin
Slick presentation of the long history of the utopian subgenre, including much ancient & medieval selections. Loses focus in the 20th century, which is more devoted to the mass production of multiple dystopias, usually in the service of cold war politics.

Used it for an undergraduate course, and it thoroughly annoyed the students, especially since the early selections are expressly religious, which offended the teabaggers who somehow made it into college. So, that's a plus.
Mary Overton
From Biblical Eden to Ursula LeGuin's Odon, with all sorts of paradises in between -- Ovid's Golden Age, where untilled earth produces corn, milk arrives in rivers, and honey drips from the holmoak tree. Prester John's magic spring which allows a man to remain age 32 however long he might live. The land of Cockaigne where the jolly people drink only wine because "Water serveth there no thing/ but for sight and for washing." Thomas More's UTOPIA (which started the Utopian genre) where "none of th ...more
Terri Lynn
Slow,plodding and dull- I had to read it for a graduate seminar and struggled to stay awake. This covers different ideas about what a utopia should be from ancient times to the 20th century. I have a hard time thinking of any of them being my idea of a utopia but if you are a sexist, racist, homophobic white guy, you would love it. Or at least most of it.
Traci
I had to read this for a recent course on Utopian theory in literature. It was a nice anthology of excerpts of collected utopian and dystopian works throughout the centuries. I have to admit that the early chapters with excerpts from Plato's Republic and Sir Thomas More's Utopia were yawn-inducing. However, the reading became interesting once we started reading about early utopian societies in America and also excerpts from Gulliver's Travels. I'm glad that my professor also chose to implement o ...more
Jacob Stubbs
Read this for my seminar in Utopias last semester. Overall, great excerpts (although I was somewhat displeased with the Shakespeare and More excerpts). The constitutions of the Oneida community and other religious institutions were fascinating. The Biblical texts, for the most part, were well-chosen. Overall, a good reader that should be used in with other texts.
Marlana Portolano
I use this book when I teach my college world lit class on utopias and dystopias in Western lit. It's a good introduction to the subject through very short excerpts, but don't expect to find whole works here.
Pamela
Read part of the book for a class, but I had already bought it. I finished reading the anthology after the class. I did enjoy the various utopian ideas!
Brad
A great anthology of utopian texts from the classical period onwards.
Kristen
But what I want to know is: Where is my damn utopia?!?
Vixen
Best I've come across
Nancy Babbitt
Nancy Babbitt is currently reading it
Jun 06, 2015
Erin
Erin added it
May 02, 2015
Rambling Reader
Rambling Reader marked it as to-read
Apr 19, 2015
Sola1102
Sola1102 marked it as to-read
Apr 17, 2015
Abdellah Dani
Abdellah Dani marked it as to-read
Mar 06, 2015
Eileen Rush
Eileen Rush marked it as to-read
Feb 24, 2015
Mahad
Mahad marked it as to-read
Feb 20, 2015
Thomas Francovitch
Thomas Francovitch marked it as to-read
Oct 25, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
The Cambridge Companion to Utopian Literature Searching for Utopia: The History of an Idea The French Revolution Debate in Britain: The Origins of Modern Politics (British History in Perspective) Encyclopedia of Modern Political Thought (Set) The Politics of English Jacobinism: Writings of John Thelwall