Start by marking “Rock This!” as Want to Read:
Rock This!

Rock This!

3.71  ·  Rating Details  ·  692 Ratings  ·  53 Reviews
The National Bestseller--now in trade paperback! From today's hottest stand-up comic--heir to Richard Pryor and Eddie Murphy and known for his Emmy Award-winning HBO Specials and The Chris Rock Show--comes this edgy, no-holds-barred humor book about race, relationships, and politics.
Published April 19th 2000 by Hachette Books (first published 1997)

To ask other readers questions about Rock This!, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Rock This!

Bossypants by Tina FeyIs Everyone Hanging Out Without Me? by Mindy KalingDad Is Fat by Jim GaffiganYes Please by Amy PoehlerBorn Standing Up by Steve Martin
Books by Comics
82nd out of 93 books — 118 voters
The Ultimate Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy by Douglas AdamsThe Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy by Douglas AdamsCatch-22 by Joseph HellerLamb by Christopher MooreA Confederacy of Dunces by John Kennedy Toole
Best Humor Writing
438th out of 547 books — 626 voters

More lists with this book...

Rose
Nov 02, 2011 Rose rated it really liked it
Chris answers many questions that are afraid to be answered by most in "Rock This!"by Chris Rock. He makes a lot of connections with people's opinions, and gives his own throughout the book, such as "Why white people can't say the N-word", "crack-heads", & many other subjects that have become controversy's. This book is filled with jokes, and things that will literally make you laugh out loud.

My opinion on "Rock This!" is that I really enjoyed it. Sitting in class being forced to read is n
Rade
May 30, 2015 Rade rated it liked it
I am still deciding whether to go with 3 or 2 stars. I love all Chris Rock's stand up specials and I think he is a really funny guy but this book felt like a stale piece of bread. It would have been awesome to turn it into a an hour long HBO special but the book jokes seemed like they lacked a punchline.

Yes, there were quite a few jokes in this book that would have been deemed offensive and racist but Rock is a comedian. Their job is to poke fun of controversial or taboo topics. Some of the jok
Adil
Jun 09, 2009 Adil rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 9th-grade, advisory
Rock This
Chris Rock
242pgs
Hyperion
0-7868-8941-1

This is a hilarious and extreme book created by Chris Rock, a well-known comedian. Chris Rock explores all the usual issues and taboo issues of America such as our prison system, racism, government, economy, drrug problem,e.t.c. While he's talking about these issues, he cracks jokes that would make even the most serious person laugh. He takes a lot of shots at O.J. and the possibility of a black leader, but most of his jokes are varied.

Even thought C
Tamara Evans
Nov 10, 2007 Tamara Evans rated it it was amazing
When I first bought this book, I didn't really give it a chance and ended up giving it away.However, once I did read it, I felt like a moron for letting such a funny and insightful book go to waste.In Rock This, Chris Rock leaves no stone unturned as he examines various topics from race relations to dating.

The reason why I like this book so much is because Chris Rock doesn't just make fun of certain things but instead, he jokes about everything. Also,I agree with a lot of topics that he brings
Bailey
Sep 22, 2011 Bailey rated it liked it
It's very hard for me to put in words what I feel for this book...upon reading it I read it's review's and they were harsh and unflattering to say the least . Which, of course made me want to read it even more. I think its really interesting to have seen and heard Chris' comedic stand up and then to read the book, to me it seems one in the same. Yet reading the reviews people seemed to take his words to seriously and literally. Let me remind you, Chris is a comedian, what he says is meant to sho ...more
Shannon
Feb 23, 2012 Shannon rated it liked it
I think Chris Rock is very funny, insightful, and talented. That said, this book is rather repetitive and not super interesting to read if you've heard (as I have) even a decent amount of his stand-up. There's just no point (in my opinion) in having it in book form, when it's like 200xs funnier to hear it delivered by Rock himself. For example, the infamous "Black people vs. Niggers" skit (which was hilariously dealt with on the first season of The Office). It's good, it just didn't exactly need ...more
Tosh
Nov 03, 2007 Tosh rated it it was amazing
Usually I don't ask for autographs, but my wife was or is a major fan of his. To study English, she's Japanese, and read this book. Odd woman my wife. She studied English by watching Beevis and Buthead, Green Acres, Absolutely Fab, and reading this book. So yes her English is all the above.

Anyway I was at the bookstore and asked Rock to sign all his books that we had in stock. He signed each one "Love, Chris Rock." When I asked him to sign a book for my wife he wrote "Smoke Crack, Chris Rock.'

Th
Michael
Oct 30, 2014 Michael rated it it was ok
pure crap
Ashley Lauren
Jul 17, 2009 Ashley Lauren rated it it was amazing
Okay, so I realize that 5 stars might seem a little excessive when it comes to a book like this but... honestly, I loved it. I would recommend it to anyone though I realize that this might not be the type of comedy that everyone enjoys. I, however, found myself laughing aloud both at home and at work. I think is comedy is both hysterical and honest and I agree with the quote on the front of the book that says he is one of the best comics. Kudos to you, Chris Rock, for writing a great book.
Dionisia
Oct 24, 2011 Dionisia rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I read this the summer before my freshman year of college began. I was in a new city and far from home. I remember it being a hilarious read and held on to this book like a kind of security blanket. I would carry it around with me and occasionally (read: often) hide behind it in lieu of talking to strangers. I'm such an odd duck.

So, lots of laughs here. If you love his stand-up, then you'll love this. The two are very similar.
Alyanna Jesoro
Apr 13, 2014 Alyanna Jesoro rated it it was amazing
What I love about this book is the honesty. Which is also funny with the way Chris Rock delivers it. Racism is a tough subject to broach but here it came and went without being insulting. It's just plain funny. I would love to read it again and again just to view both sides of racism and understand why society has those stereotypes. All in all a great read.
Jeremy
Apr 21, 2009 Jeremy added it
This is by far the funniest autobiagraphy that i have ever read. Chris Rock takes an approach that I have never seen in a biagraphy, and makes a joke of the different situations he has ecountered throughout his life. This book keeps you laughing from the first page all the way to the last page.
Heather Banta
Jan 21, 2013 Heather Banta rated it it was amazing
I read this book on a quiet Greyhound bus ride from Wisconsin to Texas. That was 13 years ago so I don't remember it. What I DO remember and will never forget, is my constant embarrassment at cracking up laughing out loud on a quiet bus! Therefore, 5 stars!
Diana
Jan 19, 2009 Diana added it
Shelves: 2008-2009
This book talks about Chris Rock's history and he became famous, and his life as a Comedian. I chose to read this book, because i used to watch "Everybody Hates Chris". I also learned a lot more about Comedians. it is very difficult being one and it takes talent.
Quanah Edwards
Aug 04, 2012 Quanah Edwards rated it it was amazing
This was my beach read a few years ago. As I read it, I had Rock's voice in my head. It was funny and I had a smile on my face while reading it. He makes a lot of good points and says a lot of things people are a little hesitant to talk about.
Dave
Mar 02, 2016 Dave rated it really liked it
One of the funniest book I've read in a while. His description of how drug war's laughably flawed strategy is hysterical. How many drug dealers complain about their inability to move product, and become vacuum cleaner salespeople as a result?
Susie
Jun 17, 2007 Susie rated it did not like it
Shelves: i-commented
proof that 99% of chris rock's hilarity is his performance/delivery. on paper, his comedy just comes off as bigoted. i only laughed out loud once, which normally would be fine, but chris rock is my favorite comedian so i was truly disappointed.
Mitch Romig
Sep 24, 2013 Mitch Romig rated it liked it
I was disappointed that large portions of this are basically a transcription of his act from this time. That said, it was a really great act and is still entertaining to read.
Robert
Feb 19, 2008 Robert rated it did not like it
Here's the feedback for this. This book is the exact same material he covers on his stand-up CDs (almost down to the exact word). It was a waste of time for me. Unoriginal.
Grace
Feb 09, 2012 Grace rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
THE BEST BOOK EVER!! He's a sociologist's dream come true. He truly is a social commentator, and manages to make you laugh with his keen observations. He needs to write MORE!
Benjamin
Jul 19, 2010 Benjamin rated it it was amazing
This was a great book, very funny look inside Chris Rock's brain & the way he perceives other people.
I wasn't really a fan of his movies or time on SNL, but this book was great!
angrykitty
Feb 22, 2008 angrykitty rated it liked it
Shelves: humor
the thing is, rock is just way funnier to hear than in print. i wish the book was funnier, but it his stuff just doesn't translate to the page as well....
Connie
Sep 20, 2009 Connie rated it liked it
I normally wouldn't have picked this book but once I peeked inside, I was hooked. Rock offers interesting and insightful social commentary.
Crystal
Nov 14, 2010 Crystal rated it really liked it
I read this book years ago and his stand-up was based off this. It was funny as all hell and still hilarious to this day. I highly recommend it!
Rebekkila
Jul 20, 2012 Rebekkila marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
I registered a book at BookCrossing.com!
Jack Gattanella
Mar 07, 2014 Jack Gattanella rated it it was amazing
Shelves: my-favorites
Basically his standup act circa mid late nineties. but considering he was one of THE towering, uproariously funny stand ups it's the shit.
K
Feb 28, 2008 K rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone neding a great laugh.
Frikkin HEEEEEEEEEEEE-Larious! I read the entire book standing in a barnes and noble. LoL! Could'nt put it down.
Keli Wright
Dec 14, 2013 Keli Wright rated it it was ok
This book was funny in parts.. but that was overruled by all the GROSS descriptions of things and all the cussing...
Aug 23, 2009 Sarah rated it it was ok
Just like his act. I usually think Rock is pretty funny, but why does he seem even more racist on paper?
Frank Taranto
Sep 27, 2009 Frank Taranto rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: humor
Some really good stuff in this one. Like always, some not so good stuff also.
  • The Wendy Williams Experience
  • Notes on a Cowardly Lion: The Biography of Bert Lahr, With a New Preface by the Author
  • Dirty Jokes and Beer: Stories of the Unrefined
  • Roseannearchy: Dispatches from the Nut Farm
  • Don't Shoot, It's Only Me: Bob Hope's Comedy History of the United States
  • The Big Picture: Who Killed Hollywood? and Other Essays
  • My Life as Indiana Jones, James Bond, Superman and Other Action Heroes
  • No Shirt, No Shoes...No Problem!
  • Pryor Convictions: and Other Life Sentences
  • Hollywood Babylon II
  • Confessions of an Actor
  • The Rants
  • Enter Whining
  • SeinLanguage
Christopher Julius Rock, III is an American comedian, actor, screenwriter, television producer, film producer and director. He was voted by Comedy Central as the fifth greatest stand-up comedian of all time.
More about Chris Rock...

“Doing something really profound and personal is bigger than a fad.
It's not some passing fancy.
It's always number one.”