Start by marking “Biological Psychology (with CD-ROM)” as Want to Read:
Biological Psychology (with CD-ROM)

Biological Psychology (with CD-ROM)

Dr. James W. Kalat's BIOLOGICAL PSYCHOLOGY is the best selling text in the market because of its extremely high level of scholarship, clear and occasionally humorous writing style, and precise examples integrated throughout the text. Throughout all nine editions, the goal has been to make biological psychology accessible to psychology students, not just to biology majors a ...more
Published May 19th 2006 by Wadsworth Publishing (first published January 1st 1981)

To ask other readers questions about Biological Psychology, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Biological Psychology

Kathrynn
Absolutely one of the best textbooks I ever read! Another favorite and a book I will never part with.
Holly Interlandi
Jul 07, 2007 Holly Interlandi rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I didn't think it was possible to love a textbook this much.
Shannon
Feb 14, 2008 Shannon rated it it was amazing
Shelves: own, non-fiction
Edit: funfact time, brought to you by this book.

-"Hamsters sometimes hibernate. If you keep your pet hamster in a cool, dimly, lit place during the winter, and it appears to have died, make sure that it is not just hibernating before you bury it!"
-"Vasopressin is also knows as antidiuretic hormone (ADH) because it enables the kidneys to reabsorb water from urine and therefore make the urine more concentrated. You cannot succeed as well as gerbils, however. Gerbils can drink ocean water, and we c
Teo 2050
Contents:
(view spoiler)
Books-fly-to-me
Jan 15, 2017 Books-fly-to-me rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: doctoral-shelf
I liked this book very much although I thought the language was a bit basic and had hoped for more depth from the course in general. One delightful addition that gave this book its fifth star is the list of recommended books at the end of the chapters. I have purchased several of them and have more saved in my to-buy list. The author includes books that give a separate viewpoint or that enrich his chapters. It is an intro book and the books he recommends are geared toward the lay person which wi ...more
EveMoon
Dec 09, 2016 EveMoon rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
I'm no fan of cellular biology but this book managed to ne entertaining at times.
Jade
Jul 17, 2012 Jade rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book on the biology of psychology is, to this day, still one of my favourite textbooks from my first year at university/college. It’s focused – logically so – on biological explanations of behaviour and/or psychological issues, and presented entertainingly and enthusiastically so by James W. Kalat. It covers a wide array of topics, and is probably too detailed (especially in later chapters) to be considered as ‘only’ an introductory to biological psychology.

Biological Psychology covers the
Selmoore Codfish
Kalat's explanations for consciousness were interesting.
The graphics were excellent.
I liked the modules within chapters. Each module had thought provoking questions.
The on-line material wasn't necessary. There are two parts to this. First, there are the links at the back of the chapters. However, these sort of links go stale after a while. After reading the chapters I didn't feel like that I lacked any information that I would have had to go to the links for. Second, there is a course web page.
Joevarian
The writing are so clear and detailed. Without attending to class, you are able to understand the whole biological process by reading this book. Well, perhaps because my English wasn't really good that I have to struggle to understand the entire process written in this book. But it is really a not-so-difficult book to be read by everyone. Especially if you have keen interest in psychology and physiology.
Keri
Jul 19, 2008 Keri rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Physiological Psych instructors/students
Shelves: textbooks
Instructor's perspective: A decent physio psych text. Lots of case studies to keep the students interested. I am told the CD and website are helpful in studying for exams. There is a lot of material in the book I don't cover because we simply don't have the time to do it all. Not my favorite text but good for a one-semester undergraduate level upper division course. Website resources are excellent. This is my third semester using the book.
Linda
Apr 05, 2013 Linda rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Kalat's text is a classic and since it is updated regularly, is one of the best surveys of the biological basis of behaviour available. It is written in an engaging style with plenty of research and anecdotal examples. It is supported by a study guide and a website with plenty of practice materials.
Sherri
Dec 30, 2014 Sherri rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
One of the best texts! thorough and detailed. At one point I reached out to the optometrist I worked with to clarify a couple of things in the chapter on vision. He reviewed the chapter and told me that the chapter was so detailed that it covered things he was taught in his optometry program.
S. Sloan
Oct 22, 2014 S. Sloan rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
When I made the decision to study psychology I thought it would be best to learn more about how the human brain works. This book and the class I took was absolutely fascinating. I would recommend this book to any one who wants to learn more about biological psychology.
Marialena I.
May 03, 2015 Marialena I. rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: books, favorites
I love this book so much. It explains with an easy language the biological aspects of psychology. At first i needed the book for my course and i thought it would be boring but it was such an interesting read. I learnt many things!
Wendy
Mar 26, 2014 Wendy rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: school, psychology
If you have to read a book about behavioral neuro-biology, it might as well be this one. Kalat actually made me laugh several times, despite the subject matter.
Shawn Arnold
Oct 06, 2009 Shawn Arnold rated it it was amazing
This text book, along with the professor, not only completely changed my major, but I brought it with me on my Iraq deployment almost two years after the class was over.
Christopher Allen
An excellent resource.
Heather Bee
This textbook was very clear in explaining some tough topics, and the analogies were very helpful.
Tommi Sorsa
Nov 25, 2015 Tommi Sorsa rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Exhilarating and clearly written book which was part of my University course.
Seda
Apr 01, 2013 Seda rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good material but hated the class though.
Jasmin Martin
A good book that is a companion when studying behavioural and clinical neuroscience. Easy to read.
Kirill
Mar 19, 2012 Kirill rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: studies
Just another study book
Jos Rienties
May 14, 2013 Jos Rienties rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good study book
Jess
Jess rated it liked it
Sep 11, 2012
Faith Luce
Faith Luce rated it it was amazing
Sep 23, 2015
Christopher Gargoline
Christopher Gargoline rated it it was amazing
Aug 08, 2014
Katarína Durkáčová
Katarína Durkáčová rated it it was amazing
Dec 06, 2013
Hesser
Hesser rated it it was ok
Feb 24, 2011
Bryek
Bryek rated it really liked it
Feb 22, 2013
  • Cognitive Psychology: Connecting Mind, Research and Everyday Experience
  • Social Psychology
  • The Developing Person Through the Life Span
  • Abnormal Psychology
  • Discovering Statistics Using SPSS (Introducing Statistical Methods)
  • Cognitive Neuroscience