Start by marking “Case for Christianity” as Want to Read:
Case for Christianity

Case for Christianity

4.1  ·  Rating Details ·  2,082 Ratings  ·  47 Reviews
Clear and Compelling Reasoning From the Master Apologist First delivered as an informal radio address during World War II to bring hope to an embattled public, "The Case for Christianity" is C.S. Lewis's artful and compelling argument for the reasonableness of Christian faith. Dividing his case into two parts, "Right and Wrong as a Clue to the Meaning of the Universe" and ...more
Published June 8th 1996 by Touchstone Books (first published 1942)

To ask other readers questions about Case for Christianity, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Case for Christianity

Apr 20, 2008 Lorin rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book made me think, I enjoyed it a lot
Jul 17, 2008 Emily rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is an excellent little book. It was also published in England under the title "Broadcast Talks", and is just that. It is a quick read drawn from some of Lewis' broadcast talks, and is a simple, logical apologia for his faith.
♥ Ibrahim ♥
Nov 28, 2008 ♥ Ibrahim ♥ rated it did not like it
Recommends it for: Christians who like to hear themselves repeated over and over again, sound board
C.S. Lewis! Everybody tells you to read C.S. Lewis! He is presented as the magical pill that abolishes atheism. You would think that when you read him that he truly deals with the questions of atheists with understanding and tact, but he shows hardly any of them. He merely became a trophy for the Evangelical Christian community since he is educated and the majority of them are famous for reading only one book "The Bible" and tell you that all you really need for education is this one, good book. ...more
Oct 06, 2008 Shar rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Mar 10, 2009 Kristen rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I really really enjoyed reading this. I loved his logical reasoning and the examples he gives that really make sense. I wish everyone could read this and see why Christians believe in God and Christ. There are a few doctrinal things that I don't agree with, but even the author says at those parts, hey, this is just my view, not what all Christians believe.
Jan 31, 2009 Mary rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I just finished this little book that isn't nearly as easy a read as one might think from the length. I'm a big C.S. Lewis fan and read this book over 30 years ago. "Jack" as C.S. Lewis was called by his friends, was brought to Christianity later in life. He has an amazing way of taking you logically through the arguments for different viewpoints of where we came from and how we should be living. His approach is a layman's rather than a theologian. This gives a much more logical explanation abou ...more
This little book is a slow read but worth the time. I found many points well made. The last few pages were weaker than the rest.
Melanie Eddolls
"Reality, in fact, is always something you couldn't have guessed. That's one of the reasons I believe Christianity. It's a religion you couldn't have guessed."

--The Case for Christianity

"Badness is only spoiled goodness."

--The Case for Christianity

This is a great comment when we look at Satan and all of the goodness that he possessed and the special beauty and gifts he began with rolls pride (Lewis says it is the greatest vice and the one from which all others come) and there ya go....
Natalie Hughes
Jul 13, 2010 Natalie Hughes rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Well worth reading, of course, I love c.s. Lewis! This book actually taught me a lot about atheists. I understand where they are coming from. Didn't change my thinking, only confirmed it.
Jan 23, 2011 Whitney rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I absolutely loved this book. It really is just the transcript from the BBC broadcasts of C.S. Lewis' program during WWII. As such, each segment is relatively succinct and brief. He is entertaining but gets to his point. I love all the argument and examples he gives in behalf of Christianity. His logic and the path he leads his listeners reminds me of my dad. My dad would try to get us to think about religion/the purpose of life in the same fashion. To first establish whether the universe was cr ...more
Mar 31, 2011 Marge rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a small book that I have read before. Every once in a while I refer to it when questions have emerged regarding faith and Christianity.
Borrowed from public library. Wonderful until the last section. Philosophy showing why Christianity "wins", just common sense. And believing in the Deity of Christ on the basis of His Authority, because He says so, which is how we believe most of the information we learn (e.g. I believe in Texas, though I've not see it, on the authority of those who have). Church of England. Used to be an atheist.
Sep 13, 2011 Elizabeth rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I picked up this book the other day and started reading it. Despite the fact that I am a Christian and I agree with C.S. Lewis' faith, this book really brought me to think and understand what I have been ignoring all this time (Romans 7 - The Law and Sin). Rather than trying to explain my feelings and belief that can only be arbitrarily spoken by me, He very logically and rationally elucidates human morality aka Moral Law or Law of Human Nature by starting to ask/state from the primitive questio ...more
Dustin Reade
I am an atheist, and I read this book because every Christian I have ever met told me it would change my mind, or at the very least present several questions I could not answer.
Well, I read it.
I did not like it, or find a single argument that was convincing or particularly well put. They are the same arguments posed by any person of the faith and can be answered in numerous ways unless you are blinded by your faith or simply too lazy to look at them from a scientific point of view.

That's what
Mar 31, 2012 Adam rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was a great book. It is succinct and clearly written. Its uses reason and logic. I Highly recommend it
Matt Chapman
Jul 08, 2012 Matt Chapman rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

Classic Lewis. Insightful and poetic in so many places. Wrong or unhelpful in a few others, not least the nature of the atonement. Not a book for an undiscerning reader but otherwise a pleasure to read.
Benjamin Wirtz
Jul 23, 2012 Benjamin Wirtz rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: religion
Very short but still manages to present the arguments in a way that even a younger person could understand. Most of the arguments or in common use but it is quite possible that Lewis originated many of them. It's the basics and doesn't go into great detail but enough so that the point gets across.
Gary Butler
Aug 18, 2012 Gary Butler rated it liked it
Shelves: christian
This book is less than 80 pages which is the cut off line for a book to be entered onto my all time book list. I do not really consider this to be a book at all. This is more like a long short story. This is basically transcripts of radio broadcasts that Lewis made in England during WWII. The book is broken up into two parts. The second part is much more enjoyable and less boring than the first part. Overall Lewis is a landmark writer of Christian / theology based material, this in not his best. ...more
Jan 05, 2013 Michele rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
This book could make a believer out of the most stubborn atheist! It's logical and clear and makes tons of sense.
Feb 27, 2013 Ed rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2013
I started reading and it was very familiar. When I picked up this book I didn't realize that this book is actually just one part of Lewis' Mere Christianity. I didn't mind reading it again because it was short, but also because it's a good book. I appreciate Lewis' clear and concise writing. It's good to read because it's nice opposition to my tendency to mention every possible objection. If there's anything that my philosophy degree taught me it's that any point of view can be criticized. Lewis ...more
Mar 01, 2013 Trelesa rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A Book in two parts: 1. Right and Wrong as a clue to the meaning of the Universe, 2. What Christians Believe

Both are simple, straight-forward lectures supporting Christianity. I appreciate his efforts to include a balance of Christian views (giving the material ahead of time to get responses from Church of England, Roman Catholic, Presbyterian, and Methodist).

"Enemy-occupied territory - that's what this world is."

"... a Christian isn't a man who never does wrong, but a man who is enabled
Apr 22, 2013 Catharine rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
In the first half of this 56 page book, CS Lewis explains why he believes in God. In the second half, he makes his case for Christianity. Maybe I love Lewis' writings because they so closely mirror my own. He has amazing insight.
Beth Peninger
Finally. Finally I understand some of what Lewis writes about! I only had to re-read sentences or paragraphs a couple of times throughout the book. Whew. I bet I understood 2/3 of this book. Relief. :)
In this extremely short but jam packed book Lewis lays out the case for Christianity. As a former atheist he is able to speak from both sides and does so rather well. He addresses rather simply and quickly the most common of arguments for not believing in God or that there even is one. There were c
Oct 15, 2013 Debbie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
My son recommended this to me and I thoroughly enjoyed it. C. S. Lewis always gives you much to think about and this one is no exception. He divides his case into two parts...and leaves the choice up to you.
Jun 17, 2014 Rob rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: christian
Lewis is amazing when it comes to simplifying things. He is able to make a compelling case for Christianity that is easy to understand and follow. One section flows directly from the other as he makes his case for why Christianity makes the most sense. I love reading his simple logic and following his easy to understand analogies. He has a way of explaining things that makes difficult concepts easy to understand.

Lewis is able to explain why Christianity makes the most sense and why it is obvious
Pam Brown
Sep 13, 2016 Pam Brown rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: faith
I enjoy reading C. S. Lewis. He tackles complex subjects and yet is easy to read. My only complaint is that I rarely find a succinct quote I like well enough to add to m collection. I'm left feeling that I understand, but still not well enough to turn around and teach it to someone else. Still, I see why he's considered a must-read for Christians.
Aug 05, 2014 Leah rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
It began, for me, with some convincing ideas of a real law which humans did not invent that we know we ought to obey does in fact exist, because I for one, feel it. Beyond that, I am still not sure.
Mark Austin
- Most books with this rating I never finish and so don't make this list. This one I probably started speed-reading to get it over with.
- Average. Wasn't terrible, but not a lot to recommend it. Probably skimmed parts of it.
- Decent. A few good ideas, well-written passages, interesting characters, or the like.
- Good. This one had parts that inspired me, impressed me, made me laugh out loud, made me think - it got positive reactions and most of the rest of it was pretty decent too.
- Amazing.
Every Lewis book I read is better the last one...I don't know how he does it. His logic in this is downright beautiful.
Megan Uy
This book is tough. It's short, which might lead someone to think it's a relatively easy read. But it is philosophically and theologically dense (in a good way, I mean). I didn't find all of his arguments compelling, but I was struck by what C.S. Lewis himself, a former atheist, found compelling, compelling enough that he would convert and become a devout member of the Anglican Church. And it did make me want to read (in the case of TLTWATW, reread) the Chronicles of Narnia for the Christian all ...more
  • The Question of God: C.S. Lewis and Sigmund Freud Debate God, Love, Sex, and the Meaning of Life
  • Lenten Lands: My Childhood with Joy Davidman and C.S. Lewis
  • The Quotable Lewis
  • Through the Shadowlands: The Love Story of C. S. Lewis and Joy Davidman
  • Evidence That Demands a Verdict
  • The World According to Narnia: Christian Meaning in C. S. Lewis's Beloved Chronicles
  • Introduction to Saint Thomas Aquinas
  • Growing in Christ
  • Recovering Biblical Manhood & Womanhood
  • More Jesus, Less Religion: Moving from Rules to Relationship
  • Can Man Live Without God
  • Jack: A Life of C.S. Lewis
  • Your Mind Matters: The Place of the Mind in the Christian Life
  • C.S. Lewis's Mere Christianity (Shepherd's Notes)
  • Catholic and Christian: An Explanation of Commonly Misunderstood Catholic Beliefs
  • Heretics / Orthodoxy: Nelson's Royal Classics
  • He Is There and He Is Not Silent
  • Storm Warning
CLIVE STAPLES LEWIS (1898–1963) was one of the intellectual giants of the twentieth century and arguably one of the most influential writers of his day. He was a Fellow and Tutor in English Literature at Oxford University until 1954. He was unanimously elected to the Chair of Medieval and Renaissance Literature at Cambridge University, a position he held until his retirement. He wrote more than th ...more
More about C.S. Lewis...

“God created things which had free will. That means creatures which can go wrong or right. Some people think they can imagine a creature which was free but had no possibility of going wrong, but I can't. If a thing is free to be good it's also free to be bad. And free will is what has made evil possible. Why, then, did God give them free will? Because free will, though it makes evil possible, is also the only thing that makes possible any love or goodness or joy worth having. A world of automata -of creatures that worked like machines- would hardly be worth creating. The happiness which God designs for His higher creatures is the happiness of being freely, voluntarily united to Him and to each other in an ecstasy of love and delight compared with which the most rapturous love between a man and a woman on this earth is mere milk and water. And for that they've got to be free.
Of course God knew what would happen if they used their freedom the wrong way: apparently, He thought it worth the risk. (...) If God thinks this state of war in the universe a price worth paying for free will -that is, for making a real world in which creatures can do real good or harm and something of real importance can happen, instead of a toy world which only moves when He pulls the strings- then we may take it it is worth paying.”
“We all want progress. But progress means getting nearer to the place where you want to be. And if you have taken a wrong turning then to go forward does not get you any nearer. If you are on the wrong road progress means doing an about-turn and walking back to the right road and in that case the man who turns back soonest is the most progressive man. There is nothing progressive about being pig-headed and refusing to admit a mistake. And I think if you look at the present state of the world it's pretty plain that humanity has been making some big mistake. We're on the wrong road. And if that is so we must go back. Going back is the quickest way on” 17 likes