Case for Christianity

Case for Christianity

4.07 of 5 stars 4.07  ·  rating details  ·  1,767 ratings  ·  42 reviews
Clear and Compelling Reasoning From the Master Apologist First delivered as an informal radio address during World War II to bring hope to an embattled public, "The Case for Christianity" is C.S. Lewis's artful and compelling argument for the reasonableness of Christian faith. Dividing his case into two parts, "Right and Wrong as a Clue to the Meaning of the Universe" and...more
Published June 8th 1996 by Touchstone Books (first published 1942)

To ask other readers questions about Case for Christianity, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Case for Christianity

♥ Ibrahim ♥
Nov 28, 2008 ♥ Ibrahim ♥ rated it 1 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Christians who like to hear themselves repeated over and over again, sound board
C.S. Lewis! Everybody tells you to read C.S. Lewis! He is presented as the magical pill that abolishes atheism. You would think that when you read him that he truly deals with the questions of atheists with understanding and tact, but he shows hardly any of them. He merely became a trophy for the Evangelical Christian community since he is educated and the majority of them are famous for reading only one book "The Bible" and tell you that all you really need for education is this one, good book....more
Mary
I just finished this little book that isn't nearly as easy a read as one might think from the length. I'm a big C.S. Lewis fan and read this book over 30 years ago. "Jack" as C.S. Lewis was called by his friends, was brought to Christianity later in life. He has an amazing way of taking you logically through the arguments for different viewpoints of where we came from and how we should be living. His approach is a layman's rather than a theologian. This gives a much more logical explanation abou...more
Dustin Reade
I am an atheist, and I read this book because every Christian I have ever met told me it would change my mind, or at the very least present several questions I could not answer.
Well, I read it.
I did not like it, or find a single argument that was convincing or particularly well put. They are the same arguments posed by any person of the faith and can be answered in numerous ways unless you are blinded by your faith or simply too lazy to look at them from a scientific point of view.

That's what...more
Ed
I started reading and it was very familiar. When I picked up this book I didn't realize that this book is actually just one part of Lewis' Mere Christianity. I didn't mind reading it again because it was short, but also because it's a good book. I appreciate Lewis' clear and concise writing. It's good to read because it's nice opposition to my tendency to mention every possible objection. If there's anything that my philosophy degree taught me it's that any point of view can be criticized. Lewis...more
Laurie
I enjoyed reading a book which stands up for Christianity.
Lorin
This book made me think, I enjoyed it a lot
Rob
Lewis is amazing when it comes to simplifying things. He is able to make a compelling case for Christianity that is easy to understand and follow. One section flows directly from the other as he makes his case for why Christianity makes the most sense. I love reading his simple logic and following his easy to understand analogies. He has a way of explaining things that makes difficult concepts easy to understand.

Lewis is able to explain why Christianity makes the most sense and why it is obvious...more
Whitney
I absolutely loved this book. It really is just the transcript from the BBC broadcasts of C.S. Lewis' program during WWII. As such, each segment is relatively succinct and brief. He is entertaining but gets to his point. I love all the argument and examples he gives in behalf of Christianity. His logic and the path he leads his listeners reminds me of my dad. My dad would try to get us to think about religion/the purpose of life in the same fashion. To first establish whether the universe was cr...more
Pam Brown
I enjoy reading C. S. Lewis. He tackles complex subjects and yet is easy to read. My only complaint is that I rarely find a succinct quote I like well enough to add to m collection. I'm left feeling that I understand, but still not well enough to turn around and teach it to someone else. Still, I see why he's considered a must-read for Christians.
Beth Peninger
Finally. Finally I understand some of what Lewis writes about! I only had to re-read sentences or paragraphs a couple of times throughout the book. Whew. I bet I understood 2/3 of this book. Relief. :)
In this extremely short but jam packed book Lewis lays out the case for Christianity. As a former atheist he is able to speak from both sides and does so rather well. He addresses rather simply and quickly the most common of arguments for not believing in God or that there even is one. There were c...more
Melanie
"Reality, in fact, is always something you couldn't have guessed. That's one of the reasons I believe Christianity. It's a religion you couldn't have guessed."

--The Case for Christianity

"Badness is only spoiled goodness."

--The Case for Christianity

This is a great comment when we look at Satan and all of the goodness that he possessed and the special beauty and gifts he began with but....in rolls pride (Lewis says it is the greatest vice and the one from which all others come) and there ya go.......more
Leah
It began, for me, with some convincing ideas of a real law which humans did not invent that we know we ought to obey does in fact exist, because I for one, feel it. Beyond that, I am still not sure.
Trelesa
A Book in two parts: 1. Right and Wrong as a clue to the meaning of the Universe, 2. What Christians Believe

Both are simple, straight-forward lectures supporting Christianity. I appreciate his efforts to include a balance of Christian views (giving the material ahead of time to get responses from Church of England, Roman Catholic, Presbyterian, and Methodist).

Quotes:
"Enemy-occupied territory - that's what this world is."

"... a Christian isn't a man who never does wrong, but a man who is enabled...more
Gary Butler
This book is less than 80 pages which is the cut off line for a book to be entered onto my all time book list. I do not really consider this to be a book at all. This is more like a long short story. This is basically transcripts of radio broadcasts that Lewis made in England during WWII. The book is broken up into two parts. The second part is much more enjoyable and less boring than the first part. Overall Lewis is a landmark writer of Christian / theology based material, this in not his best....more
Elizabeth
I picked up this book the other day and started reading it. Despite the fact that I am a Christian and I agree with C.S. Lewis' faith, this book really brought me to think and understand what I have been ignoring all this time (Romans 7 - The Law and Sin). Rather than trying to explain my feelings and belief that can only be arbitrarily spoken by me, He very logically and rationally elucidates human morality aka Moral Law or Law of Human Nature by starting to ask/state from the primitive questio...more
Joyce
Borrowed from public library. Wonderful until the last section. Philosophy showing why Christianity "wins", just common sense. And believing in the Deity of Christ on the basis of His Authority, because He says so, which is how we believe most of the information we learn (e.g. I believe in Texas, though I've not see it, on the authority of those who have). Church of England. Used to be an atheist.
Kristen
I really really enjoyed reading this. I loved his logical reasoning and the examples he gives that really make sense. I wish everyone could read this and see why Christians believe in God and Christ. There are a few doctrinal things that I don't agree with, but even the author says at those parts, hey, this is just my view, not what all Christians believe.
Benjamin Wirtz
Very short but still manages to present the arguments in a way that even a younger person could understand. Most of the arguments or in common use but it is quite possible that Lewis originated many of them. It's the basics and doesn't go into great detail but enough so that the point gets across.
Emily
This is an excellent little book. It was also published in England under the title "Broadcast Talks", and is just that. It is a quick read drawn from some of Lewis' broadcast talks, and is a simple, logical apologia for his faith.
Catharine
In the first half of this 56 page book, CS Lewis explains why he believes in God. In the second half, he makes his case for Christianity. Maybe I love Lewis' writings because they so closely mirror my own. He has amazing insight.
Matt Chapman

Classic Lewis. Insightful and poetic in so many places. Wrong or unhelpful in a few others, not least the nature of the atonement. Not a book for an undiscerning reader but otherwise a pleasure to read.
Debbie
My son recommended this to me and I thoroughly enjoyed it. C. S. Lewis always gives you much to think about and this one is no exception. He divides his case into two parts...and leaves the choice up to you.
Natalie Hughes
Well worth reading, of course, I love c.s. Lewis! This book actually taught me a lot about atheists. I understand where they are coming from. Didn't change my thinking, only confirmed it.
Geri
Aug 21, 2007 Geri is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Not quite sure yet
Currently Reading. I'm hoping that this book will set the tone so that I can finish reading "Mere Christianity", which I seem to get bogged down in. Wish me luck!
Marge
This is a small book that I have read before. Every once in a while I refer to it when questions have emerged regarding faith and Christianity.
Shar
Tabitha
This little book is a slow read but worth the time. I found many points well made. The last few pages were weaker than the rest.
Michele
This book could make a believer out of the most stubborn atheist! It's logical and clear and makes tons of sense.
Olivia
Sep 23, 2008 Olivia rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: everyone
Simple, profound and will change the way you think about Christianity, whatever it is you think about Christianity.
Adam
This was a great book. It is succinct and clearly written. Its uses reason and logic. I Highly recommend it
  • Lenten Lands: My Childhood with Joy Davidman and C.S. Lewis
  • The Question of God: C.S. Lewis and Sigmund Freud Debate God, Love, Sex, and the Meaning of Life
  • Through the Shadowlands: The Love Story of C. S. Lewis and Joy Davidman
  • The Quotable Lewis
  • Companion to Narnia: A Complete Guide to the Magical World of C.S. Lewis's The Chronicles of Narnia
  • Evidence That Demands a Verdict
  • Storm Warning
  • Philosophical Foundations for a Christian Worldview
  • Know Why You Believe
  • Essential Truths of the Christian Faith
CLIVE STAPLES LEWIS (1898–1963) was one of the intellectual giants of the twentieth century and arguably one of the most influential writers of his day. He was a Fellow and Tutor in English Literature at Oxford University until 1954. He was unanimously elected to the Chair of Medieval and Renaissance Literature at Cambridge University, a position he held until his retirement. He wrote more than th...more
More about C.S. Lewis...
The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe (Chronicles of Narnia, #1) The Chronicles of Narnia (Chronicles of Narnia, #1-7) The Voyage of the Dawn Treader (Chronicles of Narnia, #3) The Magician's Nephew (Chronicles of Narnia, #6) Prince Caspian (Chronicles of Narnia, #2)

“God created things which had free will. That means creatures which can go wrong or right. Some people think they can imagine a creature which was free but had no possibility of going wrong, but I can't. If a thing is free to be good it's also free to be bad. And free will is what has made evil possible. Why, then, did God give them free will? Because free will, though it makes evil possible, is also the only thing that makes possible any love or goodness or joy worth having. A world of automata -of creatures that worked like machines- would hardly be worth creating. The happiness which God designs for His higher creatures is the happiness of being freely, voluntarily united to Him and to each other in an ecstasy of love and delight compared with which the most rapturous love between a man and a woman on this earth is mere milk and water. And for that they've got to be free.
Of course God knew what would happen if they used their freedom the wrong way: apparently, He thought it worth the risk. (...) If God thinks this state of war in the universe a price worth paying for free will -that is, for making a real world in which creatures can do real good or harm and something of real importance can happen, instead of a toy world which only moves when He pulls the strings- then we may take it it is worth paying.”
64 likes
“Why is God landing in this enemy-occupied world in disguise and starting a sort of secret society to undermine the devil? Why is He not landing in force, invading it? Is it that He is not strong enough? Well, Christians think He is going to land in force; we do not know when. But we can guess why He is delaying. He wants to give us the chance of joining His side freely. I do not suppose you and I would have though much of a Frenchman who waited till the Allies were marching into Germany and then announced he was on our side. God will invade. But I wonder whether people who ask God to interfere openly and directly in our world quite realise what it will be like when He does. When that happens, it is the end of the world. When the author walks on to the stage the play is over. God is going to invade, all right: but what is the good of saying you are on His side then, when you see the whole natural universe melting away like a dream and something else -something it never entered your head to conceive- comes crasing in; something so beautiful to some of us and so terrible to others that none of us will have any choice left? For this time it will be God without disguise; something so overwhelming that it will strike either irresistible love or irresistible horror into every creature. It will be too late then to choose your side. There is no use saying you choose to lie down when it has become impossible to stand up. That will not be the time for choosing: it will be the time when we discover which side we really have chosen, whether we realised it before or not. Now, today, this moment, is our chance to choose the right side. God is holding back to give us that chance. It will not last forever. We must take it or leave it.” 11 likes