The Shadow World (The Eidolon Chronicles)

The Shadow World (Eidolon #2)

3.81 of 5 stars 3.81  ·  rating details  ·  108 ratings  ·  8 reviews
Ben Arnold had hoped that exposing Mr. Dodds's vile Pet Emporium -- abusiness that stole magical creatures from Eidolon to sell to England'srich and curious -- would prevent the Secret Country from fading away intoruin. However, it soon becomes clear that the evil, dog-headed Dodman'sreign of terror has only just begun. Ben's mother, Queen Isadora, returns to her homeland...more
Published August 21st 2007 by Simon & Schuster Children's Publishing (first published April 1st 2007)

Heather
Jun 12, 2008 Heather rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: older elementary children
Intriguing fantasy, book two in the series. It was a little flat for me. I was invested enough in the story from book one that I wanted to see where it would go. And the ending was sufficient for me to want to read the next book. However, it is a child's book and not particularly riveting for most adults. There is a little humor in it, though it's subtle.

I was reading to approve it for my son, who is 7. I did let him read it, but I would caution other parents of sensitive children that there is...more
Jennifer Wardrip
Reviewed by Carrie Spellman for TeensReadToo.com

Time has passed since Ben Arnold ventured into The Secret Country. He's hoping that what he did there was enough to save what is left of its creatures, and land, and his mother. She's doing so much better now! But, Ben knows in his heart that eventually his mother will have to go back and assume her rightful role as Queen of Eidolon.

Knowing, and hoping against it, can't possibly prepare Ben for how quickly that day comes. Even though part of Ben h...more
Indah W
This is actually a pretty nice story but dunno why it took me ages to finish reading it, ahahahaha :p

But it's always nice to read something about the other world, or in this case, the shadow world where the people you see "here" where we live might seem different "there" in the shadow world, they might become monsters-look..

Ahahaha.. guess that I didn't share anything of what the book is all about, eh? :p
Katy
This is the second book in this trilogy (I'm pretty sure it will only be a trilogy), but I'm not really sure what the point was. Other than one event at the very end (like the last 2 pages) it didn't feel like the story that started with The Secret Country. That said, overall, it was an enjoyable read.
Evelyn
Humor and action mixed uneasily. Caricatures instead of characters. Astonishing carelessness with the Book of Names (that was what it was called, right?).
Brian
An excellent coninuation of the story, taking the entire family into the magical world to fight the Doddman (Anubis). Great characters and good plot twists.
Zachary
Spectacular in the utmost way.
It shows that no matter how hard evil tries, it will always have to give way to good.
Kimberly
Cute story. Great for children getting into fantasy.
Heather
Heather marked it as to-read
Jul 04, 2014
Nicole Lowe
Nicole Lowe marked it as to-read
Jun 24, 2014
Alexis
Alexis is currently reading it
May 16, 2014
Jane Giliam
Jane Giliam marked it as to-read
May 11, 2014
Lorena
Lorena added it
May 01, 2014
Jenn M
Jenn M marked it as to-read
Apr 28, 2014
Katelyn
Katelyn marked it as to-read
Apr 18, 2014
Saskia
Saskia added it
Apr 15, 2014
Christianna Alexandre
Christianna Alexandre marked it as to-read
Apr 10, 2014
Bbeffs
Bbeffs added it
Mar 09, 2014
Mightyguy
Mightyguy marked it as to-read
Feb 26, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
aka Jude Fisher, Gabriel King (with M John Harrison)

Jane Johnson is from Cornwall and has worked in the book industry for 20 years, as a bookseller, publisher and writer.

She was responsible for publishing the works of J R R Tolkien during the 1980s and 1990s and worked on Peter Jackson's Lord of the Rings movie trilogy, spending many months in New Zealand with cast and crew. Under the pseudonym of...more
More about Jane Johnson...
The Tenth Gift The Salt Road The Sultan's Wife The Secret Country Legends of the Shadow World (Eidolon, #1-3)