Start by marking “From Silence to Song: The Davidic Liturgical Revolution” as Want to Read:
From Silence to Song: The Davidic Liturgical Revolution

From Silence to Song: The Davidic Liturgical Revolution

4.26 of 5 stars 4.26  ·  rating details  ·  62 ratings  ·  19 reviews
The debate in many Reformed circles over worship music is only a small part of the larger question of Reformed liturgics. And dancing. All sides admit that the New Testament offers relatively little instruction on liturgy, and so the debate over the regulative principle continues with apparently little hope for resolution. In this study, Peter Leithart's key insight reveal ...more
Published June 1st 2003 by Canon Press

To ask other readers questions about From Silence to Song, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about From Silence to Song

Patrick Schlabs
Great exegesis of the interesting transition in Israel's worship from the Tabernacle of Moses to the Tabernacle of David. Leithart examines David's application of the Torah that lead him to incorporate music and singing into the sacrificial system. The last chapter deals with implications for our worship today. Overall, a very helpful book for any musical worship leader.
David
Excellent treatment of the liturgical implications of King David's ark-tent on Mount Zion. I learned a lot about Chronicles!
Nathan
Outstanding book on the regulative principle of worship. Here's some stuff I learned:

The tabernacle and the ark were separated at the battle of Aphek, and even when the ark was returned to Israel, it was never returned to the tabernacle in Gibeah. It went to some dude's house. David eventually brought the ark to Jerusalem and set up a special shrine there for it, but it was still separate from the tabernacle in Gibeah. It wasn't until Solomon built the temple that the ark and tabernacle were reu
Jason
I appreciated this book simply because it provokes a great deal of serious reflection on what constitutes biblical worship.
Robert Murphy
This is an beautiful book, though not really a complete one. However, this is appropriate to the status quo in Reformed Liturgics. We have been very lax in this area for a long time, and so others (with whom we disagree sharply in theology) have lead the way. Peter J. Leithart is breaking new ground for Presbyterians, but he thoughts are not fully formed, probably because the community of our faithful who ponder these issues is so small.

Proceeding backwards, he ends the book with some implicatio
Jacob Aitken
The blurb on the back is a little misleading. It gives the idea that Leithart is mainly using Old Testament liturgics to bash the RPW. Unfortunately, this isn't the case.

Leithart makes the extremely dense argument that rather than seeing Old Testament worship as one single unchanging entity (e.g., law and sacrifice), we should rather see it typologically as pointing forward to the day of Eschatological Song.

He makes the argument that David was a faithful innovator on Mosaic worship. David expand
Melissa
Really good stuff. The style is clearly early Leithart (and early Canon Press, too - they didn't reign in his footnotes nearly enough), but there is really good information contained in the book. It really takes off in the last chapter when Dr. L starts to express his personal opinion.

As a fun side-note, it's interesting to get a glimpse of the really early stages of modern Reformed liturgics - one footnote refers to an unpublished work by Jeff Meyers, tentatively titled The Lord's Service. A H
Rick Davis
From Silence to Song is an excellent book. Leithart examines the Davidic Tabernacle as distinct from the earlier Mosaic Tabernacle and the later Temple of Solomon. David introduced various innovations into the worship of the tabernacle, including instruments and music, and he created a number of new offices for the Levites in the tabernacle service. However, all of these innovations can be seen as typological applications of previous commandments concerning the tabernacle worship. In the final c ...more
Cray Allred
Very interesting look at the tent of David, where Israel worshiped between tabernacle and Temple. This blip in redemptive history was a striking picture of eschatological New Covenant worship, pointing to the fall of the Jew/Gentile wall and the transformation of the animal sacrifice system into the living service of the new humanity. There's also a brief argument against a strict regulative principle, which I thought was good.
Kameron
An intriguing look at the liturgical developments of the Davidic period. Plenty of great typological insights on the ark/tabernacle and "booth of David" (Amos). Also includes an interesting discussion throughout the book on the inclusion of the Gentiles in tabernacle worship. A must read for understanding the liturgical world of the ark/tabernacle period.
Nate Walker
Fascinating study and reflection on the "booth of David" as a preview of eschatological worship, with compelling applications for contemporary liturgy/song/worship. Served as a great guide for my personal devotional reading through 1 Chronicles as well.
Tim
This book was a hard one for me to read, as it seemed awkwardly disjointed and explicitly tenuous in its "conclusions." That said, it was thought-provoking, making me want to read more about David's musical extensions of Mosaic law in worship.
M.G. Bianco
Good book, Peter Leithart is wonderful as always. I would have given it 5 stars, but somehow I just felt like it left me hanging a little. Maybe something stronger in the way of application, I'm not really sure. But I did enjoy this book.
Brian
Typical Leithart insight that scratches the little corners of the Bible like Chronicles and Amos for things a lot of Christians haven't worked through.

I probably should read this again at some point.
Peter N.
One of Leithart's more difficult books, but well worth the read if you can work through the arguments. His closing chapter lays out some of the practical application of the study. This chapter is excellent.
Joel
Excellent application to liturgics, music and a theology of song. Leithart shows that the Regulative Principle used by David was one of analogy, not a wooden hermeneutic.
Steve
Really good the second time around. Read again in 2012- that's three goes.
Steven Wedgeworth
Very exciting, even if sometimes cerebral. One of Leithart's best works.
Douglas Wilson
Just great.
Michelle Blake
Michelle Blake marked it as to-read
Nov 18, 2014
Jacob Walker
Jacob Walker marked it as to-read
Oct 28, 2014
Jasmine
Jasmine marked it as to-read
Oct 16, 2014
Kate
Kate marked it as to-read
Sep 09, 2014
Jo
Jo marked it as to-read
Jul 31, 2014
Jonathan Anderson
Jonathan Anderson marked it as to-read
Jul 14, 2014
Lucas Dorminy
Lucas Dorminy marked it as to-read
Jun 30, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Peter Leithart received an A.B. in English and History from Hillsdale College in 1981, and a Master of Arts in Religion and a Master of Theology from Westminster Theological Seminary in Philadelphia in 1986 and 1987. In 1998 he received his Ph.D. at the University of Cambridge in England. He has served in two pastorates: He was pastor of Reformed Heritage Presbyterian Church (now Trinity Presbyter ...more
More about Peter J. Leithart...
Against Christianity A House for My Name Defending Constantine: The Twilight of an Empire and the Dawn of Christendom The Baptized Body Solomon Among the Postmoderns