Start by marking “Odette. Jerrard Tickell” as Want to Read:
Odette. Jerrard Tickell

Odette. Jerrard Tickell

4.21 of 5 stars 4.21  ·  rating details  ·  43 ratings  ·  7 reviews
During the Second World War, a young Frenchwoman, married to an Englishman with two young children, became a secret agent. Working in France to resist the Germans, she was betrayed, tortured & consigned to a concentration camp. 'Odette' tells the incredible story of an ordinary woman who proved herself to have courage & compassion.
Published May 29th 2008 by Headline Review (first published 1949)

To ask other readers questions about Odette. Jerrard Tickell, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Odette. Jerrard Tickell

Eleanor
I finished this at half two this morning, which is an indication of how wonderful it is.

This is the biography of the remarkable Odette Samson, but the beautiful language Ticckel uses means it reads almost like fiction.

Only complaint I would have is that it ends when the war does; I would have loved to be able to carry on reading.
Dianne
The book was written in 1948, and reissued in this format in 2008. I have read it before and seen the 1950 film several times.

It is a beautifully written narrative about an extremely brave Frenchwoman who left her three young daughters behind in England to work as a courier for the Resistance in France in 1942. Betrayed, she was arrested in April 1943 and spent the rest of the war in prison, interrogated by the Gestapo, tortured and finally sent to Ravensbruck to await her execution. Odette Sans
Cherie
A remarkable true story from WWII. An ordinary mother, wife doing extraordinary things during the war, become a british agent and withstanding torture from the Gestapo and surviving prision, and Ravensbrook Concentration Camp - this story took me through so many emotions, I laughed and cried. A must read.
Juliana Jura
Biographies can be tedious. Lists of dates, places and events. Not this one! The story of Odette, a Second World War Resistance fighter sent into occupied France as a British agent, is gripping from start to finish. The author treats the story more a s a piece of fiction rather than a factual account. In this instance it works very well.
A story of a woman with guts, courage, pride and love for her homeland, France.
Melisende d'Outremer
Picked this one up at a local church book sale for $1.00.

Re-read this one again over some months - it is what I refer to as my handbag-book - the one that slots neatly into my bag to be brought out at various stages when I need to read.

I too was a bit disappointed that the story ended with the war - I would loved to have discovered more about this remarkable woman - one of many.
Ursula Ryan
This book is well worth a read. It's ironic that a German officer had to point out to Odette that as a mother of 3 children her first loyalties should have been with looking after her children not as a spy in the war effort.....
Sally
An absolutely stunning film, starring Anna Neagle as Odette. The book was every bit as terrible and wonderful to read.
Anja Boskovic
Anja Boskovic marked it as to-read
Nov 18, 2014
Amy
Amy is currently reading it
Oct 31, 2014
Balvinder Dhaliwal
Balvinder Dhaliwal marked it as to-read
Oct 01, 2014
Lisa
Lisa marked it as to-read
Sep 11, 2014
Patrick Schultheis
Patrick Schultheis marked it as to-read
Sep 05, 2014
Amy Harper
Amy Harper marked it as to-read
Aug 24, 2014
Twl Newtown
Twl Newtown marked it as to-read
Aug 21, 2014
Br Rob
Br Rob marked it as to-read
Jul 30, 2014
Azziba
Azziba marked it as to-read
Jul 29, 2014
Lauren
Lauren marked it as to-read
Jul 09, 2014
Susan Kelly
Susan Kelly marked it as to-read
May 21, 2014
Abigail Partis
Abigail Partis marked it as to-read
Jan 21, 2014
Beth
Beth marked it as to-read
Dec 08, 2013
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Appointment with Venus Churchill's Flights Ascalon: The Story of Sir Winston Churchill's Wartime Flights from 1943-1945 Moon Squadron Miss May Jerrard Tickell

“Quand j'étais petite, je gardais les vaches; maintenant ce sont elles qui me gardent…” 1 likes