Start by marking “Odette. Jerrard Tickell” as Want to Read:
Odette. Jerrard Tickell

Odette. Jerrard Tickell

During the Second World War, a young Frenchwoman, married to an Englishman with two young children, became a secret agent. Working in France to resist the Germans, she was betrayed, tortured & consigned to a concentration camp. 'Odette' tells the incredible story of an ordinary woman who proved herself to have courage & compassion.
Published May 29th 2008 by Headline Review (first published 1949)

To ask other readers questions about Odette. Jerrard Tickell, please sign up.

^ Find a 1st edition of "Odette". Mine is 1949, reprinted 1950. At the end of the book is an Epilogue. Facing that epilogue is a Summer 1945 black &…moreFind a 1st edition of "Odette". Mine is 1949, reprinted 1950. At the end of the book is an Epilogue. Facing that epilogue is a Summer 1945 black & white photograph of Odette with her three young daughters, Francoise, Lily and Marianne.

Dark haired Francoise clearly has her mother's features, especially in the chin. Lily and Marianne are light-haired.
(less)

Eleanor
Apr 02, 2011 Eleanor rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2011
I finished this at half two this morning, which is an indication of how wonderful it is.

This is the biography of the remarkable Odette Samson, but the beautiful language Ticckel uses means it reads almost like fiction.

Only complaint I would have is that it ends when the war does; I would have loved to be able to carry on reading.
Cherie
Mar 21, 2009 Cherie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A remarkable true story from WWII. An ordinary mother, wife doing extraordinary things during the war, become a british agent and withstanding torture from the Gestapo and surviving prision, and Ravensbrook Concentration Camp - this story took me through so many emotions, I laughed and cried. A must read.
Dianne
Jun 23, 2014 Dianne rated it it was amazing
Shelves: wwii, biography
The book was written in 1948, and reissued in this format in 2008. I have read it before and seen the 1950 film several times.

It is a beautifully written narrative about an extremely brave Frenchwoman who left her three young daughters behind in England to work as a courier for the Resistance in France in 1942. Betrayed, she was arrested in April 1943 and spent the rest of the war in prison, interrogated by the Gestapo, tortured and finally sent to Ravensbruck to await her execution. Odette Sans
Jacqui Thompson
May 16, 2016 Jacqui Thompson rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I found this gushing one-dimensional book very tedious. Then on reading further the scandal following Odette and her lover (who became her second husband) and accusations they embellished and exaggerated their wartime contributions and dangers just tainted this biased book even more. I have no doubt she endured torture and hardship once she was captured and you had to be certain type of person to undertake espionage work, but I think as an insight into an SOE operative and a woman this book is s ...more
Juliana Jura
May 10, 2012 Juliana Jura rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Biographies can be tedious. Lists of dates, places and events. Not this one! The story of Odette, a Second World War Resistance fighter sent into occupied France as a British agent, is gripping from start to finish. The author treats the story more a s a piece of fiction rather than a factual account. In this instance it works very well.
A story of a woman with guts, courage, pride and love for her homeland, France.
Melisende d'Outremer
Picked this one up at a local church book sale for $1.00.

Re-read this one again over some months - it is what I refer to as my handbag-book - the one that slots neatly into my bag to be brought out at various stages when I need to read.

I too was a bit disappointed that the story ended with the war - I would loved to have discovered more about this remarkable woman - one of many.
Ursula Kelly
Aug 06, 2011 Ursula Kelly rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book is well worth a read. It's ironic that a German officer had to point out to Odette that as a mother of 3 children her first loyalties should have been with looking after her children not as a spy in the war effort.....
Sally
An absolutely stunning film, starring Anna Neagle as Odette. The book was every bit as terrible and wonderful to read.
Jennifer rated it liked it
May 07, 2011
Alana
Alana rated it really liked it
Nov 17, 2011
corrie poulter
corrie poulter rated it really liked it
Feb 06, 2017
Arran Middleton
Arran Middleton rated it it was amazing
Dec 12, 2012
Terje Juland
Terje Juland rated it it was ok
Apr 11, 2017
Emily
Emily rated it it was amazing
Aug 02, 2012
Marge
Marge rated it really liked it
Oct 21, 2015
Jenny
Jenny rated it really liked it
Jun 22, 2015
Rebekah
Rebekah rated it it was amazing
Nov 05, 2015
Jane
Jane rated it really liked it
Aug 04, 2011
Chockalingam
Chockalingam rated it really liked it
Jul 20, 2012
Aisling
Aisling rated it it was amazing
Sep 26, 2011
Michael
Michael rated it really liked it
Nov 24, 2012
Marisa
Marisa rated it really liked it
Aug 26, 2013
Cheryl Russell
Cheryl Russell rated it it was amazing
Oct 13, 2016
John McKenzie
John McKenzie rated it really liked it
Jan 29, 2017
Emma
Emma rated it liked it
Nov 24, 2015
Margaret
Margaret rated it really liked it
Jul 10, 2012
deb carl
deb carl rated it liked it
Oct 10, 2015
Alex Doidge
Alex Doidge rated it liked it
Sep 28, 2013
Monika Lacey
Monika Lacey rated it liked it
Jun 19, 2016
Georgie
Georgie rated it liked it
Jul 28, 2013
« previous 1 3 next »

“Quand j'étais petite, je gardais les vaches; maintenant ce sont elles qui me gardent…” 1 likes