Start by marking “The Art of Mexican Cooking” as Want to Read:
The Art of Mexican Cooking

The Art of Mexican Cooking

The Art of Mexican Cooking isthe ultimate guide to creating sensational flavorsof authentic Mexican food in your own kitchen.Her classic, The Cuisines ofMexico, established Diana Kennedy as the authority onMexican cooking, and now she brings thirty-twoyears of living, traveling, and researching inMexico to a dazzling masterpiece of culinaryadventure. The Art of Mexican Coo ...more
Published October 1st 1989 by Bantam

To ask other readers questions about The Art of Mexican Cooking, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Art of Mexican Cooking

Nicholle
Oct 28, 2011 Nicholle rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was a completely random find, rescued by my mom from a library collections purge. At first glance it looked like a dated 70's cookbook, and I admit to being suspicious about a seeming "outsider" writing about traditional Mexican food. I could not have been more wrong. Author Diana Kennedy brings a wealth of experience living in and traveling throughout Mexico for decades. The book showcases the humble building block of cooking, the tortilla, and branches off into different dishes using that ...more
Nathaniel
Sep 11, 2012 Nathaniel rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kitchen-shelf
I love Taco Tuesday, so I read this as an homage. I dig that she tried to incorporate traditional Mexican cooking and American ingredients in a very practical manner. A good cooking book with simple recipes and good advice, and most of all her love for Mexican cooking.
Diane
Sep 08, 2009 Diane rated it it was amazing
This is my favorite Mexican cook book. Diana Kennedy writes in a way that gives you a sense of belonging. You get a feel for more than just the ingredients when you read her descriptions and explanations.

I love authentic cooking and Diana Kennedy takes you far beyond the Taco Belle fare we are all familiar with.

Chiles Jalapenos En Escabeche anyone?
Shannon Clark
Jan 08, 2011 Shannon Clark rated it really liked it
Shelves: cookbooks, signed
A great cookbook which I do not use nearly enough, have recently pulled it out and plan on working my way through many of the recipes inside. I met the author at a rare signing event here in San Francisco at the Ferry Building Farmers Market where I also had the pleasure of tasting a number of the dishes in the cookbook prepared by one of the food vendors at the market.
El Keitho
Jul 24, 2015 El Keitho rated it it was amazing
if you have any interest in Mexican Cooking, this is a must read. I am a New Mexican from Albuquerque, but find our local cuisine rather one dimensional. I far prefer authentic Mexican cuisine and I use this book more than any other currently. even living in Albuquerque i find some of the ingredients sometimes hard to find.
Rich
Feb 01, 2013 Rich rated it it was amazing
Shelves: cookery-books
I love this book, but the crazy (and fun) thing is that I've made recipes from it for people, and more often than not, I'll get a comment like, "That's not Mexican food!". Lay your preconceptions aside when you pick this puppy up.
Data
Aug 14, 2015 Data rated it really liked it
So far, very good. Spent my vacation in Mexico and learned to make blue corn and yellow corn tortillas from scratch. It takes a few more than 19 pats for the raw beginner to get a tortilla out of a ball of masa, though ,,,
Bari
Mar 04, 2008 Bari rated it it was amazing
forget about rick bayless, diana kennedy is where it's at when it comes to regional mexican cooking.
Amy
Given to my on my 29th birthday from my friend, Kathi.

Packing away now as we declutter the house, preparing to put it on the market.
Rosa
Apr 17, 2015 Rosa rated it really liked it
authentic mexican food , a good book , but some foods are hard to make and time consuming ..but they are worth it.
George
Sep 15, 2008 George rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Fantastic book for those interested in the art of making torillas. It also has other basic/useful recipes (for salsas, enchiladas, etc)
Ben
Jul 09, 2011 Ben rated it really liked it
Shelves: cookbooks
A great cookbook for real Mexican, getting away from the usual Tex-Mex stuff you see around town. One of my go to cookbooks when I'm actually making things on the weekend.
Catherine Woodman
Jul 29, 2011 Catherine Woodman rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
the first regional Mexican cooking cookbook, and where I learned to make beans in a slow cooker--something that has made my life quite lovely since
Andrea Irvin
Andrea Irvin rated it it was amazing
Feb 25, 2015
Kris Garcia
Kris Garcia rated it liked it
Jul 10, 2012
Nicholas
Nicholas rated it really liked it
May 02, 2012
maria clarissa quicho
maria clarissa quicho rated it it was amazing
Aug 23, 2015
Rebecca
Rebecca rated it really liked it
Jun 18, 2013
Maurine Fischel
Maurine Fischel rated it it was amazing
Jan 26, 2014
Alexis
Alexis rated it it was amazing
May 22, 2010
Jason Barnes
Jason Barnes rated it it was amazing
Mar 07, 2012
Catherine
Catherine rated it it was amazing
Jan 05, 2011
Julie A.
Julie A. rated it it was amazing
Feb 17, 2015
Fraser Agresta
Fraser Agresta rated it it was amazing
Jan 10, 2014
Chris Terhune
Chris Terhune rated it it was amazing
Jun 29, 2016
Michael Young
Michael Young rated it it was amazing
Jan 04, 2014
Nicole De Anda
Nicole De Anda rated it it was amazing
Jul 13, 2016
John
John rated it it was amazing
Jan 06, 2013
Jan
Jan rated it really liked it
Feb 07, 2012
  • Thai Food
  • Classic Indian Cooking
  • The Splendid Table
  • Simple French Food
  • Splendid Soups: Recipes and Master Techniques for Making the World's Best Soups
  • Marcella's Italian Kitchen