The Kennedy Women: The Saga of an American Family

The Kennedy Women: The Saga of an American Family

4.04 of 5 stars 4.04  ·  rating details  ·  1,097 ratings  ·  76 reviews
"A FRESH AND UNVARNISHED PORTRAIT OF A FASCINATING, TALENTED, AND DEEPLY FLAWED FAMILY."
—Boston Herald

Laurence Leamer was granted unheralded access to private Kennedy papers, and he interviewed family and old friends, many of whom had never been interviewed before, for this incredible portrait of the women in America’s "royal family." From Bridget Murphy, the foremother wh...more
Published September 29th 1996 by Ballantine Books (first published August 2nd 1994)

Anna Makinen
This was my long summer vacation read. I felt intimidated by the length of the book at first. Unnecessarily. The book is fascinating, lengthy - yes,full of minutiae details - yes, but they all build up the story. To me the book is full of life, emotions, drama - highly entertaining and at the same time also informative. The book tells the story of the Kennedys through their women. As a mother I found fascinating to follow the gradual construction of Rose Kennedy’s persona as a mother. However, d...more
Jill Kemerer
In depth, massive book about the Kennedy woman. I really enjoyed the background into Bridget Kennedy, the matriarch who came from Ireland during the mid-1800's and worked her way from nothing to a business owner. A large portion is devoted to Rose, but I found her daughters to be more interesting.

Eunice, Pat and Jean in particular, is written about with depth and honesty. Out of the daughters'-in-law, only Joan got much script time. I would have really liked a more honest and detailed look at J...more
RNOCEAN
Based on five years of research, and with unprecedented cooperation from Kennedy family and associates, Laurence Leamer paints startling, in-depth portraits of the mothers, wives, sisters, and daughters who struggled to build and maintain the Kennedy dynasty—from steerage on an immigrant vessel to the slums of Boston, from the court of St. James to the White House.

*****Rate this 5/5. The years of research paid off because this book was so well-written and thorough. One always hears of the Kenned...more
Ruthg
Very thorough, though somewhat repetitive, look at five generations of the Kennedy family, focusing on the women. Rose gets the most attention, though quite a bit is also given about JFK's sisters, wife, and sisters-in-law, as well as grandmothers, great-grandmothers, and children, nieces and nephews. The book is nearly 800 pages of text, plus 100 pages of citations and indices. Philandering husbands is a major theme--don't think any of the men were faithful, except possibly Sargent Shriver, and...more
Melissa
This is one of the best books I've read on any Kennedy. I have always been fascinated with the family and how especially the women have endured the politics, the affairs, etc. This is a true insight into the foundation that was laid with the first Kennedy woman who opened her own business to support her family. It really depicts Rose's spiritual faith and how it pushed her to do what she believed was best for her family as a whole and those generations that would follow.
Terri Miles
I love biographies.. most biographies. I am interested in this family so I really wanted to read this. I learned alot about the faith people have in their religion. I learned how women were treated in certain era's and families. It was very interesting. There wasn't a part that I wanted to skip or that I thought would drag on. I think back on things I read in this book every now and then.
Vivian LeMay
Read this book over ten years ago and remember it well. From the day in 1821 when Bridget Murphy, the true Kennedy matriarch, is born in Ireland, to Rose Kennedy's 100th birthday in 1990, this book covers plenty of history.

Whenever there is a news story about the Kennedy family, I think of this book.
Bobbie Rathjens
This is one of the first books I read on the Kennedy's an I often go back to its worn pages and torn cover. The reason why I go back is because it's excellently written and chock full of information that you can't find elsewhere. Great read.
Sarah Beth
"These Kennedys were the most generous and philanthropic of people and the most niggardly and selfish. They were the most outgoing and gregarious and the most withdrawn and insular. They were the most spiritual and yet full of the most worldly cynicism. In the Kennedys these did not seem like contradictions, but integrated on some high plane that only they could understand" (432).

My interest in reading this family biography on the Kennedy women really sprang out of my enthusiasm for HBO's docum...more
Kathleen Kelly
The Kennedy Women by Laurence Leamer

I finally finished it, took me almost a month to read, not because it was a hard book to read, just the opposite. It was a very good book, just its size was a drawback for me. So I settled that by sitting on the deck and reading at the table.

Description from, Amazon.com
Laurence Leamer was granted unheralded access to private Kennedy papers, and he interviewed family and old friends, many of whom have never been interviewed before, for this incredible portrait...more
Karen
This book reminds me of why I became a non-practicing Catholic.

Laurence Leamer uses previously written source material and personal interviews to trace the lives of all of the women who, either by blood or through marriage, became part of the Kennedy legacy. He starts by chronicling the lives of the great-grandparents of the generation that attained the White House in the 1960s and continues on through the descendants of the 1990s.

Since Kennedy women were usually raised to consider the ambition...more
Kim
I found this book to be pretty great. It was chock full of information of both historical significance and also such tawdriness that, at times, it read like an issue of US Weekly.

While the title focuses on the women, I think that one could learn a lot about the men in the Kennedy family as well. After finishing this, I am not sure that I would necessarily need to read The Kennedy Men given the attention that is devoted to them as well; however, the information about the men is generally present...more
Susan
I read "The Kennedy Men" so just had to get this one. An extremely interesting read. I especially enjoyed the early history. The book does become hard to get through in certain different places but I guess that's difficult to avoid in something this long-800 pages. I got tired of Kathleen Kennedy's debutante days pretty quickly and the ending sort of dragged,but no other real complaints.I would like to know ,however,why there was no mention of Josie Hannan Fitzgerald's death? Seeing as she was R...more
Maggie
I am not going to lie, I actually did not finish reading this book. However, I did make it to about page 250 and I have the intentions of finishing it once it becomes available at the Palatine Public Library again. They only let you re-new a book twice and I had already done that. Perhaps one of my book club friends will loan me their copy at some point. From what I have read so far, I really liked this book. All the reviews that we read before choosing it for book club were accurate. It does no...more
Ikdavid
This is a very well researched book about the Kennedy women and their influences and lives, both the ones born as Kennedys and the ones who married into the family. I learned a lot about the family and what caused them to be a product of their environment. Unfortunately, I had admired many of the Kennedy, both men and women, more before I read about them than after. While I understand they were a product of their environment, many of them made bad choices that I cannot admire.
Warning - this is a...more
Christina
This is an excellent biography of the Kennedy women, from Bridget Murphy who came to the US in the 1840's up to the book's publication in 1994. Obviously, a lot has happened to the Kennedy family since this book was published, but Leamer does a very thorough job of portraying the lives of the women up to that point. I was especially interested in learning about Kathleen, as she is not as well-known today. Leamer does a great job of showing how the Kennedy women were dramatically affected by soci...more
Kathryn
I bought this when it first came out, which is unusual for me, but I had some extra B-day money and I'd already read "The Kennedy's and the Fitzgerald's" and was quite fascinated with the whole Kennedy thing. Plus, I'd just give birth to my first and only daughter and thought that buying this book would be appropriate somehow, gender-wise.

I recall that it was quite well-researched, well-written, and that it didn't disappoint. There was some interesting info regarding the relationships between th...more
Erica
Dec 27, 2008 Erica rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Kennedy/political enthusiasts
Everyone knows about JFK, RFK, Teddy, and even Joe Kennedy. But few stories are told about the women, especially Kathleen and Rosemary. This book was a breath of fresh air and gave a lot of insight and analysis about the Kennedy women. It goes into great detail, especially about Rosemary's lobotomy, Kathleen's life. It discusses the triumphs, the trials, and how every member of the family helped or hurt their cause as they attempted to become America's foremost political dynasty. It is the first...more
ShareStories
Absolutely fascinating book about what it is like to be female and Kennedy. I was especially captivated by the story of Rosemary, whose mental disability was seen as such a liability to the family, that her father had her lobotomized and institutionalized without once consulting her mother.

The power that is is illustrated in these woman's lives (and it isn't their own power, for the most part) is truly frightening.
Peg
I had a Ta Da moment last night in finishing The Kennedy Women - all 796 pages. Why have I balked at the length when I have Stephen King's 1100 pager on deck as well?

I believe Leamer did a good job in portraying the Kennedy family in a fair way. It is interesting to see them in the light of the eras they were living.

This is our January book club selection and I can see quite a good discussion coming up.
Graceann
Nov 29, 2007 Graceann rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Biography Fans
Shelves: biography
A multiple biography of the ladies who made and make the Kennedy clan as successful as it has become. The mothers, sisters, wives and daughters of the men who led the country (or tried to). Special attention is paid to Rose and of course to Jackie, Ethel and Joan, but other important Kennedy women are discussed at length, as well. This is a meaty book and meticulously researched.
I loved reading about the Kennedy women as much as the Kennedy men. What a fascinating family! The women put up with a lot for the sake of marriage and family. It was nice to read about the good that the younger Kennedy women has and are doing. I wish that the media would report more of the positive impacts that the Kennedy's have had on our nation rather than the negative.
Patty
Jul 19, 2008 Patty rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: History lovers
Recommended to Patty by: Book Club
Shelves: biography
I found this most fascinating because it begins with Bridget Murphy born in 1821, became an immigrant in the bowels of a ship, married Patrick Kennedy and history was born. This book follows the WOMEN of the Kennedy clan, all the way through Rose to Jacquie. You might not believe in the same politics, but the tenacity of all these women will captivate you.
meeschka
One of the best books I have ever read. Wonderfully written & I could not put it down! I thought it would take me ages because it's about as thick as the Bible, but I tore through it. It's seemingly politically neutral, which I was hoping for since I just wanted to read more about the family from an unbiased source. I highly recommend this!
Mel
Dec 28, 2007 Mel rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: history buffs, people who like to read
There is something intriguing about the Kennedy family, and reading about their ups and downs from the perspective of the women is fascinating. I have no particular interest in the Kennedys, in U.S. history, or anything specific about this book other than the simple fact that it is a book -- and it is extremely well-written.
Gconnolly
Jun 24, 2009 Gconnolly is currently reading it
I have just started reading this book, but already I am drawn in by this intimate portrait of five generations of Kennedy women. It seems to span the years from 1849 - 1994 and spares none of the details. I am very interested in this family tree and all the trials and tribulations they have met along the way.
Jill
Fantastic book that goes right back the the mid nineteenth century to the early 1990's. Unlike a lot of books on the Kennedy's it neither glosses over bad thing or forgets the good. A fasinating read about the women who's lives were overshadowed by their fathers, brothers, husbands, and sons.
Katy
I really enjoyed this book--I feel like I just got started reading more historical non-fiction and this one really was a great first one to get me started. What an amazing/interesting family--it really makes me want to read more about them...so any other good Kennedy books out there
Cyndie Todd
Aug 07, 2011 Cyndie Todd rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: history fans, feminists
There are so many lessons and elements and anecdotes of this story that have stayed with me over the years, it has truly influenced me as a person. It can be maddening, but it is worth it for the understanding of the dynamics and culture of this highly influential family.
Melanie
This is ONE OF THE MOST ADDICTIVE books I've ever read!!!!! This not only reads like a novel, but you will laugh, cry, and scream at the women in this book just like you would in a regular novel. It's over 800 pages, but I immediately wanted to reread it once I was done.
  • Jackie, Ethel, Joan: Women of Camelot
  • All Too Human the Love Story of Jack and Jackie Kennedy
  • America's Queen: The Life of Jacqueline Kennedy Onassis
  • Jacqueline Bouvier Kennedy Onassis: A Life
  • Brothers: The Hidden History of the Kennedy Years
  • A Woman Named Jackie: An Intimate Biography of Jacqueline Bouvier Kennedy Onassis
  • The Fitzgeralds and the Kennedys: An American Saga
  • The Kennedys: An American Drama
  • Listening In: The Secret White House Recordings of John F. Kennedy
  • President Kennedy: Profile of Power
  • Letters to Jackie: Condolences from a Grieving Nation
  • Jackie After O: One Remarkable Year When Jacqueline Kennedy Onassis Defied Expectations and Rediscovered Her Dreams
Laurence Leamer has written fourteen books including five New York Times bestsellers. He has worked in a factory in France, a coal mine in West Virginia and as a Peace Corps volunteer in a remote village in Nepal two days from a road. He has written one novel but is primarily known for his nonfiction, especially a trilogy on the Kennedys. His new book, The Price of Justice, is the story of two Pit...more
More about Laurence Leamer...
The Kennedy Men: 1901-1963 Madness Under the Royal Palms: Love and Death Behind the Gates of Palm Beach The Price of Justice: A True Story of Greed and Corruption King of the Night: The Life of Johnny Carson Fantastic: The Life of Arnold Schwarzenegger