Start by marking “The Lion in the Room Next Door” as Want to Read:
The Lion in the Room Next Door

The Lion in the Room Next Door

3.21 of 5 stars 3.21  ·  rating details  ·  48 ratings  ·  10 reviews
Episodes from a woman's life are reflected in this acclaimed collection of interrelated short stories from a sensational new talent. Booklist's starred review praised the work as "haunting . . . lush and concise. . . Each chapterlike story is complete by itself; together they tell of a woman's experiences, from childhood into her 40s-experiences of love and longing, the pa ...more
Published June 1st 2001 by Berkley Trade (first published 1999)

To ask other readers questions about The Lion in the Room Next Door, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Lion in the Room Next Door

Terri Kempton
Fascinating collection of short stories, each one engaging and real and painful. I felt like this book punched me in the gut, leaving me sore for days.

There are some interesting aspects to Simonds' writing - the first is that each story in this collection builds on the others to form a quasi-autobiographical account of her life. It's like sixty years of living as shown in photographs from different time periods, vignettes of significant periods and turning points.

The second unique aspect of he
Jeanna
I read this book while on holiday in Brazil a couple of weeks ago. So good... The story begins in Brazil... the the setting changes to Canada. A little girl grows up, becomes a woman... and continues always to learn. Made me think about my life.
Louise
This was a wonderful collection of short stories that involve the life of one woman. I wasn't sure at first if I would like this book, but as it turns out I enjoyed it immensely. My favourite story was called "The Blue of the Madrugada". A story about the girl growing up and realizing her body has changed.

I'd highly recommend this book to anyone.

Susan
This progression of related stories, based on the author’s life from childhood to middle-age, is full of beautiful imagery … clothing that bore the shape of my older sisters (p.22). Her writing is beautifully pared down as her eager-to-please personality navigates her life’s obstacles, and frees repressed emotion. Very engaging.
S.
To be honest I didn't make it through many of these stories. I didn't like the writing much and I didn't think the stories really held together. On the back it says the author "may be the next Alice Munro." But Alice Munro is the next Alice Munro and that's more than good enough for me.
Stephanie
I learned about different places in the world. A series of connected short stories takes place over time, and each in a different world location, as the protoginist changes from daughter to wife to mother. Original and cathartic.
Shannon (Twilight Sleep)
These stories had a lovely feel of ethereality, quite similar to what I experienced while reading White Oleander. Very interesting and definitely worth a read.
Gina
Beautiful writing but lost me at the end of most the stories.
Debbie
Pretty good collection of short stories.

Shonna Froebel
Based on letters found in a Kingston attic.
Melissa Faden
Melissa Faden marked it as to-read
Aug 23, 2015
Jenny
Jenny marked it as to-read
Aug 15, 2015
Laura May
Laura May is currently reading it
Jul 25, 2015
Jan
Jan added it
Jul 18, 2015
Merinda☯
Merinda☯ marked it as to-read
Mar 04, 2015
Emily
Emily marked it as to-read
Feb 05, 2015
Diane
Diane marked it as to-read
Dec 07, 2014
Giannis
Giannis marked it as to-read
Jul 05, 2014
Debbie
Debbie marked it as to-read
May 28, 2014
Kaitlyn
Kaitlyn marked it as to-read
May 07, 2014
Carissa Kasper
Carissa Kasper marked it as to-read
Apr 20, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 next »
The Holding The Convict Lover A New Leaf: Growing with My Garden Night: A Literary Companion Das alte Land