Start by marking “The Animal Wife” as Want to Read:
The Animal Wife

The Animal Wife (Reindeer Moon #2)

Elizabeth Marshall Thomas's first novel, an international best seller, drew praise of the highest kind. "[Reindeer Moon] deserves a place of distinction, right at the head of the line, of the great series of 'historical' novels," wrote the late Joseph Campbell. It was published in fourteen languages and won a Hemingway Award Citation.

The Animal Wife may well rank by its si
Published (first published 1990)

To ask other readers questions about The Animal Wife, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Animal Wife

Captain Sir Roddy, R.N. (Ret.)
This review applies to both, Reindeer Moon and The Animal Wife by Elizabeth Marshall Thomas. First, I have to say that as much as I love Jean Auel's "Earth's Children" series, these two novels are simply the very best fictional accounts of prehistoric life on the steppe-tundra of the Altai region of Siberia during the late-Upper Paleolithic, i.e., about 20,000 years ago. The characters in Thomas's books are anatomically modern humans, i.e., Homo sapiens, and based upon the lifestyles of the char ...more
Erin
Sep 20, 2015 Erin rated it it was amazing
Elizabeth Marshall Thomas writes with such authority and such power about a way of life that most of us now no longer know, or have any way of knowing, as the last of the hunter-gatherers and those peoples who still follow "The Old Ways" are almost gone.

Her experiences with people who still revere nature, without converting it into a god (or God), but allowing nature to be simply what it is. She infuses her novels with this sense of what we would term religion, but is more of an "is-ness" than
C.P. Lesley
Well told version of the ancient legend about the animal wife, captured against her will by an almost deliberately obtuse hunter and held until she manages to escape him and flee back to her ancestral home/original form. This version takes too long to get started: the animal wife doesn't appear until almost 40% through. Then it picks up the pace. And while historically accurate, it reveals how focused our predecessors probably were on killing and general brutality. The characters are believable ...more
Patricia
Jun 25, 2013 Patricia rated it it was amazing
I so loved this book - along with Reindeer Moon - these are two of my very favorite books. I could not wait to finish - to see how it would end - as I read it so many years ago, I could not remember, but now I am so sad to have it ended. I want to keep reading. I just got her new book for my birthday - a memoir and I will be very anxious to start that. What a wonderful author!!! Loved this book.
Thistle
Jan 09, 2017 Thistle rated it liked it
The Animal Wife isn't so much a sequel to Reindeer Moon (the last book I read, reviewed here), it's a companion book. It's set in the same place and deals with the same group of people. The only difference is that it's set a couple years later and that it's told from a boy's POV instead of a girl's.

Turns out the gender of the character makes a big, big difference in how much I enjoyed the story. Set in prehistoric times (Siberia, roughly 20,000 years ago), of course women had few to no rights --
Lawrence
Nov 10, 2014 Lawrence rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I can't help comparing this book with "Reindeer Moon" which is Ms. Marshall's first book about the same territory at the same time where often the same people cross over into each book. I have to say, first, that Ms. M remains a genius at her ability to describe the world her characters live in. I also liked that this book is balanced against "Reindeer Moon" in the sense that it is told by a young man (Kori).

His views of male life seem in many ways to be true. That is, the sense of camaraderie
Loraine
Nov 05, 2012 Loraine rated it it was amazing
Magnificent! Both The Reindeer Moon and The Animal Wife sweep the reader away into a far away time, when we were just another animal species. One can almost smell the flora and fauna these ancient people are part of.

This volume imagines the world of migratory hunter-gatherers from Kori's point of view. It is the story of Kori, a young male, and his coming of age. Harsh lessons come to him in the end as his theft of a young woman from an alien people plays itself out. Revenge. Loss. Tragedy. Yet
Dave Belden
Sep 08, 2008 Dave Belden rated it liked it
A good read, but I read it right after a fascinating book 'The Fall' by Steve Taylor, which argued that early hunter gatherer societies were more egalitarian and less male-dominated and status-oriented than the society she portrays. The women seem quite under the thumb of the men here: hunters rule (even though male rule is much milder than it became in the ages of empires and warmongers). She says hers is based on the San (Bushmen) of the Kalahari, though relocated to prehistoric Siberia. But h ...more
Karyn
Dec 28, 2008 Karyn rated it really liked it
enjoyable novel, a bunch of anthropology and imagination put together into a story about a young man coming of age in prehistoric times. Wait... how can something that be 'prehistoric'? Well, I guess there are few records of that time, but it was a part of history, was it not?
I enjoyed this novel and it took me to far away and long ago and surprisingly coincided with my life while reading it and gave me a new, earthy perspective.
Anna
Feb 17, 2011 Anna rated it really liked it
Shelves: fiction
I can't quite decide if I liked this book or not, but it was definitely interesting. Prehistorical from (I think?) the same period as Clan of the Cave Bear, with a quite similar view of the culture (which makes me wonder how much is accepted scientific fact and how much is just influences by the earlier book.) Makes me wonder if people really were that harsh back then, or if we just like to think they were less "human" than we are now because it makes us feel better.
Violet
Nov 28, 2011 Violet rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
This is the third book I have read by this author. The first being Reindeer Moon, which was many years ago. I really enjoyed that book. This book was not bad but did not measure up to the Reindeer Moon in my mind. I did get better toward the end, and the very last few pages, entitled sources and acknowlegdgments explained things very well.
Jane
Feb 24, 2011 Jane rated it it was amazing
I read this at least 20 years ago, just before jean Auel hit. I was a big fan of the prehistorical fiction genre at the time. But I still remember passages from this one. I might read it again. If I can find it.
Theresa
Dec 25, 2012 Theresa rated it really liked it
She is thought to be less than human, she does not speak their language, she does not know their customs, but she teaches them more of what they are, and who they are.
Stacey
Apr 10, 2008 Stacey rated it liked it
Loved the book until the last chapter. It was so great I couldn't put it down. Then, I read the last chapter and it was kind of like....hurry and end we need to get this published.
Jean
Apr 04, 2015 Jean rated it liked it
about primitive life. Interesting. Food, hides, everything divided up by lineage--which woman you were related to.
Megan
3.5* Somehow not as good as the first, but still enjoyable. The misogyny could be a bit hard to take.
Laureen
Laureen rated it liked it
Dec 01, 2012
Tom Loney
Tom Loney rated it it was amazing
Jan 01, 2013
Ryan M
Ryan M rated it liked it
Jan 12, 2016
Anne-Marie
Anne-Marie rated it it was amazing
Jul 09, 2014
Tania Northwind
Tania Northwind rated it it was amazing
Jun 09, 2014
Rocri
Rocri rated it liked it
Jan 07, 2016
Peggy
Peggy rated it liked it
Oct 23, 2016
Kendra
Kendra rated it liked it
Jan 14, 2008
Venita
Venita rated it it was amazing
Jul 16, 2015
Linda
Linda rated it really liked it
Apr 24, 2008
Triffid
Triffid rated it it was ok
Feb 05, 2012
Raymond
Raymond rated it really liked it
Jul 18, 2013
Megan Sidwa
Megan Sidwa rated it liked it
Jan 17, 2017
April Tremblay
April Tremblay rated it it was amazing
Jul 09, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
  • Song of the River (Storyteller Trilogy, #1)
  • The Reindeer Hunters (Reindeer Hunters, #3)
  • Song of the Axe
  • Wolves of the Dawn
  • The Year the Horses Came
  • The Gathering Night
  • Great Sky Woman (Great Sky Woman, #1)
  • The Stone Arrow (The Pagans Trilogy, #1)
  • The Gift of Stones
  • The Children of First Man
  • Valley of the Soul (Dubric Bryerly, #3)
  • Circles of Stone (Mother People, #1)
  • Hard Twisted
Elizabeth Marshall Thomas is the author of The Harmless People, a non fiction work about the Kung Bushmen of southwestern Africa, and of Reindeer Moon, a novel about the paleolithic hunter gatherers of Siberia, both of which were tremendous international successes. She lives in New Hampshire.
More about Elizabeth Marshall Thomas...

Reindeer Moon (2 books)
  • Reindeer Moon (Reindeer Moon, #1)