Start by marking “The Animal Wife” as Want to Read:
The Animal Wife
Preview

The Animal Wife (Reindeer Moon #2)

3.73 of 5 stars 3.73  ·  rating details  ·  171 ratings  ·  15 reviews
Publisher's Weekly
Kori, a member of a Paleolithic hunter-gatherer people on the Siberian savanna, captures a woman from a neighboring tribe and finds himself at odds with her radically different language and customs. ''Light years separate Thomas's intelligent, literate fiction from most other novels set in prehistoric times,'' said PW .

Library Journal
The Animal Wife , wh
Published (first published 1990)

To ask other readers questions about The Animal Wife, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Animal Wife

Christopher H.
This review applies to both, Reindeer Moon and The Animal Wife by Elizabeth Marshall Thomas. First, I have to say that as much as I love Jean Auel's "Earth's Children" series, these two novels are simply the very best fictional accounts of prehistoric life on the steppe-tundra of the Altai region of Siberia during the late-Upper Paleolithic, i.e., about 20,000 years ago. The characters in Thomas's books are anatomically modern humans, i.e., Homo sapiens, and based upon the lifestyles of the char ...more
C.P. Lesley
Well told version of the ancient legend about the animal wife, captured against her will by an almost deliberately obtuse hunter and held until she manages to escape him and flee back to her ancestral home/original form. This version takes too long to get started: the animal wife doesn't appear until almost 40% through. Then it picks up the pace. And while historically accurate, it reveals how focused our predecessors probably were on killing and general brutality. The characters are believable ...more
Patricia
I so loved this book - along with Reindeer Moon - these are two of my very favorite books. I could not wait to finish - to see how it would end - as I read it so many years ago, I could not remember, but now I am so sad to have it ended. I want to keep reading. I just got her new book for my birthday - a memoir and I will be very anxious to start that. What a wonderful author!!! Loved this book.
Lawrence
I can't help comparing this book with "Reindeer Moon" which is Ms. Marshall's first book about the same territory at the same time where often the same people cross over into each book. I have to say, first, that Ms. M remains a genius at her ability to describe the world her characters live in. I also liked that this book is balanced against "Reindeer Moon" in the sense that it is told by a young man (Kori).

His views of male life seem in many ways to be true. That is, the sense of camaraderie
Loraine
Magnificent! Both The Reindeer Moon and The Animal Wife sweep the reader away into a far away time, when we were just another animal species. One can almost smell the flora and fauna these ancient people are part of.

This volume imagines the world of migratory hunter-gatherers from Kori's point of view. It is the story of Kori, a young male, and his coming of age. Harsh lessons come to him in the end as his theft of a young woman from an alien people plays itself out. Revenge. Loss. Tragedy. Yet
Dave Belden
A good read, but I read it right after a fascinating book 'The Fall' by Steve Taylor, which argued that early hunter gatherer societies were more egalitarian and less male-dominated and status-oriented than the society she portrays. The women seem quite under the thumb of the men here: hunters rule (even though male rule is much milder than it became in the ages of empires and warmongers). She says hers is based on the San (Bushmen) of the Kalahari, though relocated to prehistoric Siberia. But h ...more
Jean
about primitive life. Interesting. Food, hides, everything divided up by lineage--which woman you were related to.
Anna
I can't quite decide if I liked this book or not, but it was definitely interesting. Prehistorical from (I think?) the same period as Clan of the Cave Bear, with a quite similar view of the culture (which makes me wonder how much is accepted scientific fact and how much is just influences by the earlier book.) Makes me wonder if people really were that harsh back then, or if we just like to think they were less "human" than we are now because it makes us feel better.
Karyn
enjoyable novel, a bunch of anthropology and imagination put together into a story about a young man coming of age in prehistoric times. Wait... how can something that be 'prehistoric'? Well, I guess there are few records of that time, but it was a part of history, was it not?
I enjoyed this novel and it took me to far away and long ago and surprisingly coincided with my life while reading it and gave me a new, earthy perspective.
Violet
This is the third book I have read by this author. The first being Reindeer Moon, which was many years ago. I really enjoyed that book. This book was not bad but did not measure up to the Reindeer Moon in my mind. I did get better toward the end, and the very last few pages, entitled sources and acknowlegdgments explained things very well.
Jane
I read this at least 20 years ago, just before jean Auel hit. I was a big fan of the prehistorical fiction genre at the time. But I still remember passages from this one. I might read it again. If I can find it.
Stacey
Loved the book until the last chapter. It was so great I couldn't put it down. Then, I read the last chapter and it was kind of like....hurry and end we need to get this published.
Theresa
She is thought to be less than human, she does not speak their language, she does not know their customs, but she teaches them more of what they are, and who they are.
Theresa
looking into prehistoric culture and times, and the prejudice of man kind
Molly
A good companion to and as good as Reindeer Moon.
Elizabeth
Elizabeth marked it as to-read
Apr 21, 2015
Jessica
Jessica marked it as to-read
Apr 16, 2015
Marti
Marti marked it as to-read
Apr 05, 2015
Sarah marked it as to-read
Mar 28, 2015
Lisa
Lisa added it
Mar 11, 2015
Jodi
Jodi marked it as to-read
Mar 05, 2015
Abigail Lauze
Abigail Lauze marked it as to-read
Feb 24, 2015
Alexa
Alexa marked it as to-read
Feb 22, 2015
Blas Ibarra
Blas Ibarra marked it as to-read
Feb 11, 2015
Jessica Litton
Jessica Litton marked it as to-read
Feb 10, 2015
Rosalie Staley
Rosalie Staley marked it as to-read
Jan 30, 2015
  • The Reindeer Hunters (Reindeer Hunters, #3)
  • Song of the River (Storyteller Trilogy, #1)
  • Wolves of the Dawn
  • The Year the Horses Came
  • Hard Twisted
  • The Gift Of Stones
  • Valley of the Soul (Dubric Bryerly, #3)
  • The Stone Arrow (The Pagans Trilogy, #1)
  • Circles of Stone (Mother People, #1)
  • The Gathering Night
  • Portrait of a Novel: Henry James and the Making of an American Masterpiece
  • Roderick Hudson
  • The Pillar of the Sky
  • Dance of the Tiger: A Novel of the Ice Age
Elizabeth Marshall Thomas is the author of The Harmless People, a non fiction work about the Kung Bushmen of southwestern Africa, and of Reindeer Moon, a novel about the paleolithic hunter gatherers of Siberia, both of which were tremendous international successes. She lives in New Hampshire.
More about Elizabeth Marshall Thomas...

Reindeer Moon (2 books)
  • Reindeer Moon (Reindeer Moon, #1)
The Hidden Life of Dogs Reindeer Moon (Reindeer Moon, #1) The Tribe of Tiger The Social Lives of Dogs The Harmless People