Start by marking “The Ming and I (Den of Antiquity, #3)” as Want to Read:
The Ming and I (Den of Antiquity, #3)

The Ming and I (Den of Antiquity #3)

Digging up old family dirt can uncover long buried secrets…and a new reason for murder.

North Carolina native Abigail Timberlake, owner of the Den of Antiquity, is quick to dismiss the seller of a hideous old vase—until the poor lady comes hurtling back through the shop window minutes later, the victim of a fatal hit-and-run.

Tall, dark, and handsome Homicide Investigator Gr
Published November 1st 1997 by Avon

To ask other readers questions about The Ming and I, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Ming and I

Murder on the Orient Express by Agatha ChristieOne For The Money by Janet EvanovichA is for Alibi by Sue GraftonA Study in Scarlet by Arthur Conan DoyleAnd Then There Were None by Agatha Christie
Favorite Mystery Series
128th out of 386 books — 116 voters
First Among Sequels by Jasper FfordeThe Eyre Affair by Jasper FfordeEats, Shoots & Leaves by Lynne TrussBored of the Rings by The Harvard LampoonBratfest at Tiffany's by Lisi Harrison
Titlemania I: Puns in Titles
269th out of 275 books — 72 voters

More lists with this book...

Bea
May 27, 2012 Bea rated it really liked it
Abigail Timberlake is the owner of the Den of Antiquity, an antique store. And, when a woman who had been in her store earlier trying to sell a hideous vase is killed by a hit-and-run driver outside her store, Abigail finds herself drawn into figuring out who the woman was. To her surprise she learns that the hideous vase was actually a Ming vase, which, once found, goes missing again.

Agigail's amateur investigation frustrates her boyfriend, a local homicide investigator, and nearly gets Abigail
Hattie
The Ming and I by Tamar Myers
I had so much fun in the Den of Antiquity. This is an antique store in Charleston, South Carolina. It's owned Abby Timberlake. Throughout The Ming and I by Tamar Myers, Abby or her friends Rob and Bob who also own an antique store name fine antiques. I couldn't resist looking up the Ming vase. I Found one that sold for a cool 1.3 million dollars in real life. When not thinking about the different antiques and wanting desperately to go window shopping down some antiq
Ed
May 04, 2015 Ed rated it really liked it
#3 in the Den of Antiquity series. Abigail Timberlake owns an antique shop on Selwyn Ave, Charlotte, NC. There is a lot of local Charlotte lore in this series, as well as antique related factoids. In this entry, Abigail will have to cross the nearby border into SC.

Den of Antiquity series - Abigail Timberlake hasn't time to serve June Troyan when she appears in her antique shop with a grubby vase. When June is next seen, she has been thrown through the shop window by a speeding van. The vase is f
Debbie
Jul 17, 2016 Debbie rated it liked it
This is a lite, easy to read series. So far I have enjoyed them.
Susan Ferguson
May 22, 2012 Susan Ferguson rated it really liked it
Shelves: mystery, 2012
Abigail Wiggins Timberlake, a North Carolina native who owns an antiques store in Charlotte called the Den of Antiquities, is having a busy day when she sees a woman in her shop with an ugly, dirty gray vase. The second time she sees the woman is when she comes through her shop window a bit later. She is deliberately hit by a vehicle and knocked through the display glass and, to Abigail's chagrin, breaks a Louis IV chair. But no one can find the vase. It isn't in the street or on the sidewalk or ...more
VJ
Mar 10, 2013 VJ rated it liked it
Shelves: cozy-mysteries
Ypsilanti, not Yosilanti. Get it right. Also, in one of the previous books, she said her cat would eat any fish-flavored dry food but in this one, she says he only eats one brand. Continuity...it's not that hard. Dmitri is also fully declawed in prior books, yet burying claws into laps in this one.

I normally give authors passes for one or two errors if the storyline is gripping. This author keeps yanking me out of the colorful world she is building.

Finally finished the book. It picked up a littl
Linda
Mar 16, 2016 Linda rated it liked it
Shelves: bingo
I haven't read this series in order and so I've read books later this and I have to say I like the ones at the beginning better. Some of the annoying phrases that are constantly repeated in later books aren't in this one. I enjoyed the mystery and Abby did a good job in solving it.
Pam Bales
Jan 22, 2016 Pam Bales rated it liked it
Shelves: owned, humor, cozy
Another good cozy mystery.
ChrisGA
Dec 05, 2015 ChrisGA rated it liked it
Cozy mystery featuring a smart-mouthed antique store owner. Interesting to see some of the same humorous style as the PennDutch series--especially reference to frizzy-haired blonde mystery writer.I enjoyed the storyline but hated to find more "cussing" than the Penn Dutch ones. Why can't a cozy be written without all that? Never mind, I will finish the series.
Okie Cavies
Aug 03, 2013 Okie Cavies rated it liked it
Shelves: den-of-antiquity
I've been loving this character! Divorced, typical struggles, in no hurry to give away her independence to get married, and still able to laugh at life. Great reads, very clean into the bargain.
Cindy
Aug 17, 2014 Cindy rated it liked it
Shelves: tamar-myers
I love antiques and I have learned a lot just by reading this series. I have also laughed a lot because I think the main character and I share a similar outlook on life.
Carol
Feb 07, 2010 Carol rated it really liked it
Mystery written in a very humorous way. Abigail Timberlake lives in Charlotte, NC and owns an antique shop, The Den of Antiquity and she solves mysteries. Fun stories!!
Apr 15, 2010 Sarah rated it really liked it
Shelves: mystery
Just a really fun read. Great characters with a flair for descriptions. Biggest problem was that I couldn't put it down. Highly recommend this and her other books.
Ann Babcock
Mar 09, 2012 Ann Babcock rated it it was amazing
I loved the book! It is not only a good mystery but it had laughs. The author is a good story teller and I would love to read more of her work!
Harvee
Nov 27, 2009 Harvee rated it really liked it
One of the first that I read in this cozy mystery series, it's very funny.
Mom
Jun 17, 2011 PWRL marked it as to-read
Shelves: 2011-new
A
Joyce Wessel
Joyce Wessel rated it liked it
Sep 17, 2016
Carla
Carla rated it really liked it
Sep 16, 2016
Pch
Pch marked it as to-read
Sep 06, 2016
Kim Shinn-Simpson
Kim Shinn-Simpson rated it really liked it
Sep 05, 2016
Sandra Leibee
Sandra Leibee marked it as to-read
Sep 03, 2016
Susan Yeaton
Susan Yeaton rated it really liked it
Aug 25, 2016
Amy Friedman
Amy Friedman rated it it was amazing
Aug 23, 2016
Trudy Garfield
Trudy Garfield rated it it was amazing
Aug 09, 2016
Marcia Schmit
Marcia Schmit marked it as to-read
Aug 05, 2016
Turid Dulin
Turid Dulin rated it really liked it
Aug 03, 2016
  • Murder in Volume (Megan Clark, #1)
  • Cooking Up Trouble (Angie Amalfi, #3)
  • A Stitch in Crime (Crochet Mystery, #4)
  • Antiques Maul (A Trash 'n' Treasures Mystery, #2)
  • Fruit of the Poisoned Tree (Peggy Lee Garden Mystery, #2)
  • Death A L'Orange (A  Carolyn Blue Culinary Mystery, #3)
  • A Stitch Before Dying (Black Sheep Knitting Mysteries, #3)
  • File M for Murder (Cat in the Stacks, #3)
  • Plan Bee (A Queen Bee Mystery, #3)
  • Murder Uncorked (A Wine Lover's Mystery, #1)
  • Bubba and the Missing Woman (Bubba Snoddy, #3)
  • Crops and Robbers (A Farmers' Market Mystery, #3)
Tamar Myers was born and raised in the Belgian Congo (now just the Congo). Her parents were missionaries to a tribe which, at that time, were known as headhunters and used human skulls for drinking cups. Hers was the first white family ever to peacefully coexist with the tribe, and Tamar grew up fluent in the local trade language. Because of her pale blue eyes, Tamar’s nickname was Ugly Eyes.

Tamar
More about Tamar Myers...

Den of Antiquity (1 - 10 of 16 books)
  • Larceny and Old Lace (Den of Antiquity, #1)
  • Gilt by Association (Den of Antiquity, #2)
  • So Faux, So Good (Den of Antiquity, #4)
  • Baroque and Desperate (Den of Antiquity, #5)
  • Estate of Mind (Den of Antiquity, #6)
  • A Penny Urned (Den of Antiquity, #7)
  • Nightmare in Shining Armor (Den of Antiquity, #8)
  • Splendor in the Glass (Den of Antiquity, #9)
  • Tiles and Tribulations (Den of Antiquity Mystery, #10)
  • Statue of Limitations (Den of Antiquity, #11)