Start by marking “Flip-a-Word: Wet Pet” as Want to Read:
Flip-a-Word: Wet Pet
Preview

Flip-a-Word: Wet Pet

4.21 of 5 stars 4.21  ·  rating details  ·  52 ratings  ·  15 reviews
These unique, interactive early reading books invite children to flip the pages
and discover different words and pictures, with the shared word ending showing through a die cut at the bottom of the page. The use of word families helps children to recognize similarities between words that rhyme, and the bright, humorous illustrations in a Japanese anime style will keep the
Published April 28th 2008 by Blue Apple Books

To ask other readers questions about Flip-a-Word, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Flip-a-Word

E.  Talamante
Includes the word families '-et', '-ed', and '-am'. Our last book from the Flip-a-Word series from our local library, and I am both relieved and sad to see it so. Why? Well, gentle reader, let me tell you.

Read full review here:
This is the best series of books for kids learning to read. Used these for Mira before Kindergarden and Genevieve has been very interested in reading each book before she starts pre-k.
Candice
This book is awesome for rhyme and sight words. My son is autistic and picked up reading so quickly. We had a blast!
Amanda
A wonderful first reading book. For SuperWhy fans, this is similar to what WonderRed does on each episode with rhyming words. My 3 1/2 yr old son read this to me after going through it with my husband the night before. While most of it was by memory, if I prompted him to remember what the rhyme was we were working on, he could usually figure out the first letter sound. I've checked out the others from our library and will probably revisit these as we continue to learn to read.

And again in 2013 w
Landon
This is the perfect book for where Landon is at with his reading skills right now.
Wooden Horse
I like these clever little books. Especially in the paperback editions as they are the right price and trim size for our leveled reader spinner rack. Each page has a half circle cut out along the bottom that allows a "word chunk" to carry forward to the next page. For instance the title page "wet pet" would be presented on two facing pages. One with "wet" and the other with "pet". The cut out would contain the letters "et" so that the child could see that both words contain the same ending sound ...more
Youth Services
Up in Youth Services, we're pretty taken with the Flip-a-Word series, by Harriet Ziefert and Yukiko Kido. This fun series of early readers is designed to show beginning readers the different parts of words -- by flipping a page, "wet" becomes "pet", all with cute, silly (and very charming) illustrations. A good way to begin thinking about the different sounds in words!

Call number: EE ZIE
Cheryl
My son is learning to read with Hooked on Phonics & this book was recommended as additional reading. It was great because most of the words he already knew & could read by himself.
MissInformation
Actually Reader level. Great for phonemic awareness in that there are cutouts on the pages that reveal portions of words from other pages- so bed becomes red, etc.
Lizita
Oct 10, 2009 Lizita rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: 4-6
Shelves: picture-books
All the books in the Flip-a-Word book series are awesome! Great for children that are learning how to read. These books are colorful, fun, and interactive.
Dee
Great for new readers or those struggling. It uses word families which make it fun. Very simple and very colorful pictures that children will enjoy.
Jenny
I have a soft spot in my heart for this book. This is the first book that my younger daughter ever read to me! She was so proud of herself.
Sally
Other than the fact that the animals in this book (the whole series) look completely coked out, it is quite adorable.
Marcie
can see why some kids or teachers might enjoy this series
PWRL
Dec 02, 2013 PWRL marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
O
Michael B.
Michael B. marked it as to-read
Mar 26, 2015
Nicole
Nicole added it
Mar 05, 2015
Jerri Quinata
Jerri Quinata marked it as to-read
Jan 20, 2015
Nicole
Nicole added it
Nov 01, 2014
Maria
Maria marked it as to-read
Apr 22, 2015
« previous 1 3 next »
Harriet Ziefert grew up in North Bergen, New Jersey, where she attended the local schools. She graduated from Smith College, then received a Masters degree in Education from New York University.

For many years, Ziefert was an elementary school teacher. She taught most grades from kindergarten to fifth grade. "I liked it," she said, but she stopped teaching when she had her own sons. When her childr
More about Harriet Ziefert...
A New Coat for Anna Sleepy Dog My Dog Thinks I'm A Genius Snow Party Lucy Rescued