Start by marking “Flip-a-Word: Wet Pet” as Want to Read:
Flip-a-Word: Wet Pet

Flip-a-Word: Wet Pet (Flip-a-Word)

These unique, interactive early reading books invite children to flip the pages
and discover different words and pictures, with the shared word ending showing through a die cut at the bottom of the page.  The use of word families helps children to recognize similarities between words that rhyme, and the bright, humorous illustrations in a Japanese anime style will keep th
Published April 28th 2008 by Blue Apple Books

To ask other readers questions about Flip-a-Word, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Flip-a-Word

Joey Zadina
This is a cute little book that has a flip a page effect where children can flip a small flap to see the next word and I think that many young beginning readers will really enjoy doing that.
This book would probably not be used much as a read aloud considering it is for beginning readers and there are only a few small words on each page, but it could be used by the teacher to show rhyming to the students. As an independent read, it would be read by a beginning reader and would be nice because th
Amanda
Sep 02, 2009 Amanda rated it really liked it
Shelves: kid-s-books
A wonderful first reading book. For SuperWhy fans, this is similar to what WonderRed does on each episode with rhyming words. My 3 1/2 yr old son read this to me after going through it with my husband the night before. While most of it was by memory, if I prompted him to remember what the rhyme was we were working on, he could usually figure out the first letter sound. I've checked out the others from our library and will probably revisit these as we continue to learn to read.

And again in 2013 w
Wooden Horse
May 04, 2011 Wooden Horse rated it liked it
I like these clever little books. Especially in the paperback editions as they are the right price and trim size for our leveled reader spinner rack. Each page has a half circle cut out along the bottom that allows a "word chunk" to carry forward to the next page. For instance the title page "wet pet" would be presented on two facing pages. One with "wet" and the other with "pet". The cut out would contain the letters "et" so that the child could see that both words contain the same ending sound ...more
Erma Talamante
Includes the word families '-et', '-ed', and '-am'. Our last book from the Flip-a-Word series from our local library, and I am both relieved and sad to see it so. Why? Well, gentle reader, let me tell you.

Read full review here:
Youth Services
Up in Youth Services, we're pretty taken with the Flip-a-Word series, by Harriet Ziefert and Yukiko Kido. This fun series of early readers is designed to show beginning readers the different parts of words -- by flipping a page, "wet" becomes "pet", all with cute, silly (and very charming) illustrations. A good way to begin thinking about the different sounds in words!

Call number: EE ZIE
Kate
Dec 03, 2015 Kate rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This series teaches word families in a fun way making it possible for emergent or "pre-" readers to read it all by themselves. Each book has a couple pages of words from the relevant word families at the back for more practice.
Candice
This book is awesome for rhyme and sight words. My son is autistic and picked up reading so quickly. We had a blast!
Cheryl
Sep 27, 2010 Cheryl rated it it was amazing
My son is learning to read with Hooked on Phonics & this book was recommended as additional reading. It was great because most of the words he already knew & could read by himself.
Sally
Sep 17, 2008 Sally rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: picture-books
Other than the fact that the animals in this book (the whole series) look completely coked out, it is quite adorable.
Jenny
Apr 16, 2013 Jenny rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: easy
I have a soft spot in my heart for this book. This is the first book that my younger daughter ever read to me! She was so proud of herself.
MissInformation
Nov 24, 2009 MissInformation rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: picturebooks
Actually Reader level. Great for phonemic awareness in that there are cutouts on the pages that reveal portions of words from other pages- so bed becomes red, etc.
Lizita
Oct 10, 2009 Lizita rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: 4-6
Shelves: picture-books
All the books in the Flip-a-Word book series are awesome! Great for children that are learning how to read. These books are colorful, fun, and interactive.
Jul 16, 2014 Laura rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kids
This is the best series of books for kids learning to read. Used these for Mira before Kindergarden and Genevieve has been very interested in reading each book before she starts pre-k.
Dee
Nov 23, 2010 Dee rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children-s-books
Great for new readers or those struggling. It uses word families which make it fun. Very simple and very colorful pictures that children will enjoy.
Kaylee Lentchitsky
Kaylee Lentchitsky rated it it was amazing
Oct 23, 2012
Janet
Janet rated it really liked it
Dec 02, 2013
Guen
Guen rated it really liked it
Nov 09, 2013
Jess
Jess rated it really liked it
Feb 04, 2013
Zoe Nelson
Zoe Nelson rated it it was amazing
Aug 25, 2014
Taylor
Taylor rated it it was ok
Jun 27, 2012
Kikiliu
Kikiliu rated it it was amazing
Jul 23, 2014
Ellen
Ellen rated it really liked it
Aug 10, 2015
Jordan T
Jordan T rated it really liked it
Jan 28, 2016
Aiden
Aiden rated it really liked it
Jun 25, 2016
Amy
Amy rated it liked it
Sep 12, 2016
Kasia Plichcińska
Kasia Plichcińska rated it liked it
May 01, 2016
Andy Meyer
Andy Meyer rated it really liked it
Sep 14, 2015
Arlo
Arlo rated it it was amazing
Jan 25, 2015
Susan
Susan rated it liked it
Apr 17, 2014
Kerry
May 13, 2015 Kerry rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Read with my 4yo daughter - great book for trying to teach sounds and how letters form words.
« previous 1 3 next »
Harriet Ziefert grew up in North Bergen, New Jersey, where she attended the local schools. She graduated from Smith College, then received a Masters degree in Education from New York University.

For many years, Ziefert was an elementary school teacher. She taught most grades from kindergarten to fifth grade. "I liked it," she said, but she stopped teaching when she had her own sons. When her childr
More about Harriet Ziefert...

Flip-a-Word (9 books)
  • Flip-a-Word: Pig Wig
  • Crab Cab: Flip-a-Word
  • Flip-a-Word: Snake Cake
  • Flip-a-Word: Quack Shack
  • Flip-a-Word: Stop Pop
  • Flip-a-Word: Snow Bow Board Book (Flip - a -Word)
  • Flip-a-Word: Ice Mice